Need Help from my HAL friends

viennacruiser

Has anyone who loves HAL also sailed on Carnival.? My parents want to go on a family crusie for their 50th annniversary and for a number of reasons the Carnival Legend out of NY is best for our group.We have 9 kids ranging from 4-20 and 7 adults with my parents being 72 and 74.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced both.

Thanks

Nancy

Yes, my first cruise was Carnival in the early 90s then we did a Commodore, many NCLs then HAL. We were so impressed with HAL we couldn't believe how much better it was than any other cruise we had been on. Then about 6 months later there was a really really good deal through our work on a Carnival one so we figured what the heck and we went. We had a delightful time, the service and food was excellent. Now we are taking our 18 yo on one as a late graduation gift and would actually prefer Carnival for her, age-wise and hopes of there being other young adults but because of timing, price, ports, etc. we booked HAL. I don't regret that and I am sure she will love it having never been on a cruise but I will say with all I had read, I was surprised at how nice Carnival was, it was the Spirit.

I think with all the kids and young adults going, Carnival might be a better pick. The service and nice touches on HAL are better but the towell animals, kids programs, etc. will probably be better on Carnival. Now of course this is your parents party but I think they will have a great time too and of course if they are typical parents/grandparents, just seeing all the young ones having a great time will mean the world to them.

This is all obviously just my opinion. If it were DH and I going anywhere anytime, we would select HAL but if Carnival were more convienent, we would do that. We just love to cruise and we don't do the suites, can't afford to, we always get at least an outside and balcony if the price is right. I am sure if you are thinking about a suite for your parents, that might change things. I know nothing about suites on either except what I have read and I bet they are far better on HAL. We did do the Owner's suite on the Norway twice and that was nice but also inexpensive...about what we pay for a balcony on HAL. But alas, the Norway is no more :(

Has anyone who loves HAL also sailed on Carnival.? My parents want to go on a family crusie for their 50th annniversary and for a number of reasons the Carnival Legend out of NY is best for our group.We have 9 kids ranging from 4-20 and 7 adults with my parents being 72 and 74.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced both.

Thanks

Nancy

Our very first cruise was on Carnival. We "enjoyed" it so much we waited 5 years until our next, which was on HAL. That one sold us on cruising.

Not that Carnival was bad, just not right for us. With a large multi-age family group, no one line will satisfy everyone. If there are advantages (such as ease of getting to the boat) for one over another, use that to chose. Just being together with he extended family should overcome any minor irritants that crop up.

Carnival like other lines you can get a different expierence from ship to ship.The Legend has had many good reviews and Iam sure you will enjoy it.Its definitly not like the older Carnival ships. TOM

I agree that for the pleasure of being with your family, Carnival will be fine. It may not be all you are accustomed to and all you wish it were, but I am sure you will enjoy it enough. You may even surprise yourself and find it great!! It's always good to give something else a try......just for the sake of comparing if nothing else. If I were in your shoes, I would be booking it and looking forward to going.

Thanks everyone ..I knew I could count on you guys for great feedback!!

I have all the cabins on hold until tommorow evening..my parents really just want to be with all the whole family. We all went together 15 years ago, but since than there have been 5 more grandchildren born, and I have a new DH...

My parents do not want a suite, as a matter of fact they always book an inside, if I can talk the siblings into it I think we should upgrade them to a balcony.

Plus DH and I have our cruise on the Zuid in March in a suite, so how bad can a second cruise in 5 months be!!

Nancy

Good for you, Nancy. Hope you and your family all have a great time and think of all the memories you will be accumulating. Those are special times when you can all enjoy being together simply for the purpose of having fun!!!!

Hello!

We have experienced HAL and Carnival and had good experiences on both.

We sailed on the Carnival Paradise for my parent's 50th anniversary. Your demographics sound very similar to ours--multi generations with parents in their 70's. We had a delightful time and there truly was something for everyone. The dining room meals were delicious and our waiters were a joy. Dinner was so much fun with our table of 12 and so very relaxing since we were amongst family! My children (16, 18, 20) had plenty to do later in the evening when the older generations had called it quits. Go and enjoy yourselves. Happy Anniversary to your parents!

I think you'll have a great time on Carnival! I've been on both cruise lines, and have had wonderful cruise experiences on both lines. I think that with the age range you are concerned with, the Legend will provide fun for all of you...especially the kids! Have a great cruise!

I have been on Carnival once( Inspiration) and Holland America 3 times. Some claim that the food and service on Carnival was worse than HAL, but I didn't see it that way. Downsides were the "party boat" drinking( buckets of beer), silly games( sexy & hairy guts contest), and some R-rated comedy. Holland America seems to be all class comparatively! For what it's worth, my next cruise is planned for the Carnival Destiny.

Archived