Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

hi there - we are going to the market on saturday instead of the included quito city tour, however, there are a couple of really nice places to stay there after the market.

[url="http://www.haciendacusin.com"]www.haciendacusin.com[/url] - about 75 a night, 250 a night for a suite and all meals.

Hosteria La Mirage [url="http://www.surtrek.com/la_mirage.htm"]http://www.surtrek.com/la_mirage.htm[/url] -pretty luxe.

enjoy!

We are coming in on our "own" flight but on the Friday. Celebrity asked for our flight details when they sent the docs so that they would be there to transport us to the Marriott. Of course I couldn't call....they would only speak to the travel agent so I had to email her and she contacted Celebrity!! From what I have read the Marriott provides courtesy transportation from the airport, so you should be fine either way.
Gillian :)

The link below will take you to a Cruise Critic Virtual Cruise. The writer visits the Galapagos on the Xpedition and writes a day by day journal. Right now she is on Day 2, sightseeing in Quito. I saved the link and plan to check back each day and find out about her experience.

[url]http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=9#66[/url]

We leave for Lima and Machu Picchu on Tuesday. I get in the pool today to practice snorkelling with my son's mask so that you don't all laugh at me (I don't hold out too much hope but I'll try!!).
See you in Quito on the 3rd. Oh, does the ship have decent shampoo/conditioner or that awful RCCL stuff in a dispenser which is like cheap washing up liquid (or maybe none at all!!). We are trying to keep our weight down, although for all our internal Lan Peru flights Lan Chile said to just show our international tickets and weight restrictions are lifted. Of course this doesn't apply to Quito-Baltra if we go by TAME, but if we can at least get there we're ahead of the game!
Just bought a new digital camera and 2 underwater disposables.
Gillian

Gillian2,
Have a wonderful trip to Machu Pichu and will look forward to meeting you in Quito. Do not worry about your snorkle skills. I just learned 2 years ago and have been in the ocean only 2 times since. I was afraid of mask leaking and of the rough seas. I did ok and really enjoyed what I was able to see. I like to be able to go in from the beach and no have to jump over the side of a boat. I do not like to go under water, just keep me on top and I am ok. We too are bringing 2 digital, 2 underwater, and 1 video and maybe 1 35mm. Leave in 15 days and look forward to meeting all of my fellow CC'ers. Safe travel and will see you on Dec. 5th.
Mary Ann and Tom

Read my review. While on board, one passenger told me that she had counted 14 passengers out of 70 who had what I am calling "Galapagos gallup". Several others had some sort of respiratory illness. Those who got both types were really ill.

Last review (Nov 6-13) also reported both types of illness, though she thought it might have been food poisoning, or water.

I'm fearful that there will be more reports of illness this week too. I've emailed Celebrity, but I can't seem to reach anybody who cares. I've assured them that I do not intend to ask for any compensation, nor do I think any is warranted. I just want to talk to someone who might be able to make some changes, based on what I witnessed, to the sanitary protocol on the ship to try to prevent this from continuing.
I will say that no one asked for or took any samples from me to send off to test whether what I had was caused by water, food, or viral agent. I am fanatical about hand care. In Quito I drank only bottled water, even brushed my teeth with bottled water. I discarded my toothbrush in Quito before I boarded the ship, and opened a new toothbrush after I boarded. I did drink water from the ship at meals and in my cabin. We were all at the same restaurants in Quito. All had basically the same meals. Yet some got ill and some didn't. I don't think it was food poisoning. Too long after Quito for me, and too many people getting ill over several days for it to be food poisoning.

Does anybody know how to contact head office of Xpedition?

Want to wish all you December cruisers a wonderful trip. Please post a report when you return. I am so curious as to the amount and kind of wildlife you see...as well as the entire experience. We're going to book soon...just not sure when to go. Have a blast.

[quote name='TheReadBaron']Could someone tell me if I need a converter for my camera battery charger? Or are the staterooms "American" in their electricity? Thanks![/QUOTE]

"The electronic current is 220 with one 110 plug in each room for electric shavers only. Transponders and adapters are available for plugs that have two flat prongs, as used in North America, for other electrical needs."
(quoted from Celebrity Cruises, Galapagos. This was included in my documents)

I hope this is enough information. I didn't pay any attention to the electrical system.

[quote name='Eliot']We did have a fabulous time - that's for sure:)
Our room had a transformer, guest relations also has transformers. We attached our transformer to the room transformer anyway. Our transformer is a 220/110. You will need a different plug - a double round.

Hope this makes sense![/QUOTE]

Have been rereading Eliot's posts and found this. It is easier to inderstand.

To all of our fellow travelers on the Dec. 5 sailing of the Xpedition, happy packing and safe travels to everyone! We leave on Thursday, Dec. 2 for Quito and we look forward to meeting all of you at the JW Marriott. We're just so excited to go on this trip.
Jim and Judy

I am not a strong swimmer and was amazed at how much bouyancy the shorty wetsuit provides. I just floated and was totally relaxed. I have since purchased my own suit to take on our upcoming Summit Christmas cruise.

Am curious about a side trip from Quito to Machu Pichu either pre- or post-Galapagos. Gillian, if I may ask, did you make your arrangements through Celebrity or another tour company? Have any others done this? We are also concerned about the cost of such an excursion. Is anyone willing to share their experience(s)?

Thanks ~
Mary

[quote name='missm']Am curious about a side trip from Quito to Machu Pichu either pre- or post-Galapagos. Gillian, if I may ask, did you make your arrangements through Celebrity or another tour company? Have any others done this? We are also concerned about the cost of such an excursion. Is anyone willing to share their experience(s)?

Thanks ~
Mary[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Black]I didn't go to Machu Pichu and wished that I had. Those who did were talking about what a great time they had. I did notice that their legs were covered by bug bites. Apparently there is a partcularly blood thirsty type of fly there. So I'd suggest bug proof clothing (long pants tucked inside socks, mesh hoods or Mountain Equipment bug jacket). [/COLOR]

Archived