Travel Insurance with RCCL Does it Cover?

pjsugg

Our 29 year old daughter, single mother of three young children has just been diagnosed with brain cancer and will begin radiation in the next few weeks. She lives 4 hours from us, and has nobody to help her take care of the kids during her treatments. Our cruise is scheduled for Feb 11th, but we may not be able to go. We also purchased $1,000 on board credit, as we usually do. Does anyone know what would be refundable?

Thanks,

Patti

Sorry that you and your family are going through this.

Have you made final payment yet? If not, then the entire cost of the cruise is refundable (except for the insurance). I do not know what would happen to the onboard credit though. If you are after the final payment deadline, then it depends on your insurance, but it should all be fully refundable and reimbursed. The one thing I would do though is call immediately to cancel.

OMG I am so sorry that your family is going through this. My prayers are with you.

Good luck... and I agree with the above poster.... call immediately and see what they will do. It must be just about final payment time for your cruise... I know before final payment your cruise will be refunded (not insurance).... but I am not sure about that OBC. If you get a chance... let us all know how things work out for you.

Again.... my prayers are with your family.

Thank you all so much. I will get all of my information tonight and call them first thing tomorrow. Of course, we made the final payment three weeks ago and this just happened. The final payment date is Dec. 3, I think. As for the onboard credit, I am hoping that if it is not refundable, I can give it as a gift to one of the other couples that are going. They would then pay us back. Thanks again, and miracles do happen. Prayers always help.

Patti

If your final payment deadline is not until Dec. 3rd then you should get the entire cost of the cruise refunded directly from RCCL without going through the travel insurance (except for the cost of the insurance). But you definitely need to call tomorrow to take care of it.

If final was not due until Dec 3rd then you would also receive back the insurance. The insurance is not due till final so technically if they hadn't paid early they would have cancelled and received back what they had deposited so there is no penalty but do it before the 2nd because that is really the due date. They don't include the sail date when cancelling.

If you purchased the OBC thru the onboard gift dept then that is refundable as well. If it is points from the RCI cc then no they are not. Hope this helps.

Our 29 year old daughter, single mother of three young children has just been diagnosed with brain cancer and will begin radiation in the next few weeks. She lives 4 hours from us, and has nobody to help her take care of the kids during her treatments. Our cruise is scheduled for Feb 11th, but we may not be able to go. We also purchased $1,000 on board credit, as we usually do. Does anyone know what would be refundable?

Thanks,

Patti

If you do have the RCI insurance and feel that there is any chance that you'll have to cancel you probably should do so right away. The insurance will only pay fo penalties in effect at the time that the situation that causes the loss occurs. So, if you're outside the penalty period when you're notified of the situation but wait until you're inside the penalty period to actually cancel the insurance may not cover you even though the cause of the cancellation is something that would otherwise have been covered.

Worst case scenario is that 75% of any penalties would be held as a credit toward a future trip if you use RCI's "cancel for any reason" benefit.

Thank you so much everyone. John and I looked over the insurance and as you said, the worst case is we get 75% towards another cruise. Shannon just really feels bad enough without us cancelling. She thinks she will be better by then and able to manage for a few weeks without us, so maybe we just will wait. I know it is quite a chance, but we will get something back. And thank you for the credit info. We did buy it through the gift dept. so it sounds like we are ok there. Again, thanks to all. She will start getting fitted for her mouth guard and mask tomorrow and start radiaion in just a few weeks. I am so glad to have found this web site a few years back.

Thanks,

Patti

I'm so sorry to hear this, I too pray that your daughter will be alright. Another CC Member just posted that her FIL was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. Well wishes for the both of you.

Everyone is so kind. I have called RCCL and Berkely both. They were both very helpful and said that we should be just fine, even it we have to cancel later on. The fact that we purchased the insurance months ago and we just found this out in the past few weeks is ok. As long as it is an immediate family member. I will also pray for any and all of you. Happy Holidays. I will check in from time to time, but for now......I am soon off to Ho-bunk Artesia, NM to stay with daughter and her three beautiful childen. My job, office and traveling will have to wait. John will take care of our two dogs and keep things going here in Albuquerque. Thanks again.

Patti and John

Thank you so much everyone. John and I looked over the insurance and as you said, the worst case is we get 75% towards another cruise. Shannon just really feels bad enough without us cancelling. She thinks she will be better by then and able to manage for a few weeks without us, so maybe we just will wait. I know it is quite a chance, but we will get something back. And thank you for the credit info. We did buy it through the gift dept. so it sounds like we are ok there. Again, thanks to all. She will start getting fitted for her mouth guard and mask tomorrow and start radiaion in just a few weeks. I am so glad to have found this web site a few years back.

I wish her the best. My dad was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer just a couple months before our last cruise, and what I learned was that the insurance company was very flexible. We weren't sure if we would need to cancel, and they said, no problem, just let us know when you make the final decision, and explained what we'd need in the way of a letter from dad's doctor. They also walked me through how the insurance would work if we unexpectedly needed to fly back during the cruise because his condition worsened. I'd encourage you to talk with your insurance company and make sure you understand your policy's provisions. I'd also strongly suggest that you bring a copy of the policy on your trip, and phone numbers for everyone you might need to contact.

We ended up having a great cruise, and dad was in good shape at that point, but it was very comforting knowing that we understood our options.

Thinking good thoughts for your family ---

Archived