Venice Pre Cruise Hotel

frockoff

If you don't mind a short shuttle ride to the Piazza San Marco consider the San Clemente Palace. It is situated on its own island, has exquisite public and guest rooms, a pool and gardens plus great service. Personally, I found it a wonderful retreat from the throngs and hustle of Venice.

We haven't been to Venice since 1988!!! could anyone please recommend a beautiful hotel - I've tried Hotel Bauer, but online it says it doesn't have any rooms available. thanks

Try the Hotel Luna.Right off SM and has it's own water taxi dock.Right up there with the Bauer IMHO.You also may want to try the Bauer at the end of the month and email them directly as the rooms should then be opened for reservation.

We haven't been to Venice since 1988!!! could anyone please recommend a beautiful hotel - I've tried Hotel Bauer, but online it says it doesn't have any rooms available. thanks

The Luna Baglioni is a great choice. It's said to be Venice's oldest inn, although it isn't really an inn these days: It's a smallish but full-service luxury hotel just west of the Piazza San Marco, with its own water-taxi pier and a location that's only a short walk from the Giardinetti stop of the Alilaguna airport boat. The breakfast room alone is worth the price of admission: It looks like a ballroom, and one could easily imagine international treaties being signed there.

My wife and I stayed at the Londra a few years ago--it was very nice, with a great view out to the water--saw some giant cruise ships come in. Be sure you're in a front-facing room. The bathroom was beautiful. Breakfast was excellent, and you could opt to have your breakfast in their nice sidewalk cafe. The dining room was a little stuffy, if I recall correctly, as was the front desk staff.

The best value is the Sheraton Des Bains on the Lido. You should be able to get a room (preferably facing Venice, particularly during the summer when the ocean side can be noisy into the wee hours). Older hotel (the novel and movie "Death in Venice" were set there). Huge and very good buffet breakfast with al fresco seating is included. They also have a nice (if unheated) pool. The complimentary fast shuttle boat leaves every half-hour or so, and returns from three locations in Venice.

When booking Venice hotels, check the rates at Venere.com, which is an Italian consolidator with listings in every category from budget through five-star luxury hotels. Venere often has rates that are lower than the hotels' own rack rates, and the reservation process is both easy and reliable. Sometimes you'll get lucky and be upgraded on check-in, too. (My wife and I were upgraded to a suite in London a few weeks ago when the hotel was overbooked, even though we'd booked a discount rate through Venere.)

Also, keep location in mind when booking a hotel in Venice. Hotels near the Piazzale Roma are convenient if you're traveling with a fair amount of luggage, since you can get a car taxi at the Piazzale Roma and drive to either the main Marittima or the smaller S. Basilio cruise termina in a few minutesl. That's a lot cheaper and quicker than hiring a water taxi from a hotel in another part of the city. (There are a whole bunch of decent 3-star hotels near the Piazzale Roma; if you want a more upscale hotel, try the Sofitel Venezia, a 4-star member of a respected French hotel group.)

Agreed. I can personally recommend the Danieli hotel, located on the promenade facing the lagoon, and a few steps from St Mark's Square. It is also convenient to get to from Marco Polo Airport, watertaxi from airport directly to the landing stage in the hotel. Also watertaxi from the hotel to the Cruise embarkation pier.

Lagoon-facing rooms give a lovely view of the lagoon, but do ask for a room on higher floors to avoid noise from tourists walking on the promenade. The top floor restaurant is a must, particularly in the summer seasons when one can eat outside on the roof terrace.

Another gem is Gritti Palace, a classic medieval palazzo converted into a hotel. Service is very good here. Ask for a grand canal view room at the corner of the hotel -- it offers both lagoon and grand canal views.

San Clemente hotel and Des Bains hotel are both on islands, about 10-15 minutes from Venice by boat. If you don't mind commuting, they are also good options. (Des Bains is a nice hotel for hot Venetian summers as it faces onto the Lido beach, but beach cabanas are sometimes more expensive than a hotel room!)

Archived