Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

Jan - sent you a short note this AM - then read your post and cracked up! Having gone through Lilly in a house with six people, six dogs (ranging from a Rottweiller to 3 chihuahuas), and two cats, I can definitely identify! Continue to keep your sense of humor and the whole experience will be more bearable. We'll all be praying for you and anxious to hear from you. I know you have Doris' number - does she have yours? Please send that, along with your address to some of us, so that we know where to look for you. Best of luck, Donia

We are watching the whitecaps on the lake. I expect to see them in the pool. Someone in N O wrote about having whitecaps in his livingroom during a previous storm. I have a lot more respect for people living in hurricane prone areas. I cannot imagine you could ever get used to having these storms.

Please everybody keep safe. My prayers are with you. The anticipation of its force and where it is going to hit must really be nerve racking. :confused: I have been following these threads every since Charley, and it really scaring to think of the people in their path. :eek: Please don't take any chances and stay safe.
Delores

Just talked with my cousin in New Orleans. He says the wind is picking up smartly and pushing Lake Ponchartrain up close to the road across. They're staying put, along with most of their neighbors. They all have big old 19th century houses that have weathered lots of storms. And their part of town is actually on the high rim of the bowl that is New Orleans. As this part of the coast will be on the dry side of the storm, they're not even expected to get a lot of rain. And our local forecast has [b]no [/b]rain in it! The wind hasn't picked up here yet, but we can expect it just a few hours behind N.O. Feeling huge relief for our part of the coast, but huge concern for the folks east of us. Keep those prayers going, everyone! Donia

Miriam, you will get tropical winds and rain. It could knock out power and you may very well get some flooding. Prepare as you would if you were in mobile. Lots of canned goods, hand can opener, tub full of water, and I have a new big trash can full of water. Tons of snacks, soda if you can drink it warm, instant coffee and instant creamer, animal food, candles, batteries, baby wipes to wash with, Paper plates, cups, bowl, plastic silverware, battery operated radio for news, I think that is it. If it gets bad, and it isn't there yet, take your animals and go. I just posted hotels that will take pets in the jacksonville area, and they have availability. We are with you every step of the way!!! :)

Mir - Were you in Atlanta for those wretched back-to-back weekend ice storms a few winters back? What's going to happen probably won't be any worse than that was - and, at least you won't be freezing your a$$ off! It's pretty ironic that you're so far from the coast and I'm so close and you're going to have it much worse than we are. There are days when Mother Nature just sucks! We'll all be thinking of you. Stay in touch! Donia

I'm smiling as I read Sue's list of necessities. It is pretty small compared to what some people pack for a cruise!!! And to think what we can live on if we really have to. Do we really need the shoe organizer, the highlighter, the bubble wrap, the bungee cords, our own brand of coffee, etc? I guess it goes to show there are "nice to haves", and then there are "have to haves". It's all about perspective. Anyway, just had to share my laugh. Wishing all of you in harm's way comfort as you go through this right now. Keep us posted. We're praying for your safety.

Archived