Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

A police chief called his subordinates to shut off his neighbor's generator. The poor woman has a 4 years old, and the police chief suggested that they could do like he did - sleep in the screen porch. See the article:

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryN0916NOISEBAN.htm

As you all know Brevard County was hit hardest by Frances, and some areas have no power for 10 days or longer.

Goodbye,Ivan! My cruise leaves on Saturday to the Western instead of the Eastern, but I'm ready! One good thing about Ivan, even though it is terrible now, is that it has erased the deficit rainfall and there a much less threat of drought. Lynne

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]We are getting the rain now in Knoxville/East Tennessee. The weather folks have hinted of a stalling....so we can have a deluge! :( Wonderful, just wonderful! [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Oh well, I got 4 sea kayaks in the garage and all I need is 3 inches of water to go anywhere in them. Of course, if I get them out this weekend, it would be to help rescue folks in a lot deeper than 3 inches! :eek: [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]I just won't go to anyone's house tomorrow that has standing water and pure mud driveways. (I work in a rural county) I'll call them and I can count through the phone as they do their exercises! :D Most patients tell me not to come and put myself in jeopardy. I do appreciate that. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Sure glad Ivan missed the body of Florida. You all been through too much already. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Continue to take care![/color][/font]

Thanks for the well wishes. :) Donia G. and Doris. I tried to call back but was unable to reach you. My cell phone service has been sporatic. Thank you so much for your concern! I have a generator and am signing on aol through another city because of no dialup access for AOL here in Pensacola. Unfortunately it's as bad as they reported. We also got the eye of the storm. They say it was a cat 3 but the devistation indicates much stronger storm. It was unoffiially reported that gusts were from 180-200 mph. Pensacola is without water and power. No sewer services either. It's really a mess. They say expect at least 3-4 weeks until we get power. This storm was the most terrifying 8 hour experience I've ever been through and one I will not repeat. I'm fortunate as I have no house damage except for some shingles. The back yard looks like a war zone. This is typical for almost every house in Pensacola. You would have to see it to believe it. My bosss house on the beach is totalled as is every house out there. Gulf Shores and Pensacola Beach were totally sumerged during the storm. Pensacola Beach, Gulf Shores and Perdido Key suffered catestrophic damage. Most of our bridges are damaged and unaccessable. Local radio and t.v. station were knocked out during the storm. Theywere our life line as to what was going on. I hear that our offices at work were damanaged and flooded out. My boss's home was destroyed at the beach. There is as far as I heard just one way to get in out and out Pensacola, People here are shellshocked. We are still waiting for federal assitance. Alamaba is already receiving theirs. I heard that there was a red tape screwup when the AL, MS and LA were declared as federal disaster areas. They left off FL. :mad: This delayed getting in the Red Cross and FEMA assistance. I hope in the next few days they will have the ball rolling. People are going to need all the help they can get. It's a long road to recovery to regain the Pensacola that we know and love. On a positive note, the weather has been mild and cool at night. Sure helps with no a/c. :) I also have a generator and most people don't. I feel very fortunate. many people have it worse.

Needless to say I wish I were on a cruise. :)

I just saw on TV the devastation at the beaches -- they say Pensacola was hit the hardest. There was one 3-4 story motel/hotel crumbled in the middle from the roof down and stories 1 & 2 no discernable difference. I-10 somewhere in that FL/AL area is closed in both directions, a big bridge over water is crumbled. That will take major time to rebuild!

Brz, glad to hear you are safe. And Donia & everybody. The report said New Orleans didn't have bad damage. Reports are 24 (?) dead. Prayers...

Jan, I'm glad you're okay and have a generator. I hope aid gets to you soon!!! Keep us posted.

TinaLee, no, it's not Jim. Jim got off easy this time. My friend works behind the cameras. He's home now -- drove all night from Pensacola because of damage to his own house here -- he was couldn't reach his wife, nor could I because she had no phone, no power, no cell phone for 10 hours. They live two minutes away from me, but it was too dangerous to try to drive!

Glad to hear you're all OK.

Just an aside for those of you who have purchased generators recently. Save your receipts. You will be reimbursed by FEMA for the cost of the generator plus the gas you use. You need to file a report with FEMA to do this.

I have been up most of the night because of the pounding of the rain and wind in NJ. It has been raining heavily most the night. My lawn furniture has been scattered to the winds and I am concerned about some major flooding. In NJ we have had so much rain over the last few months that there is not a lot of places for the water to go.

The wind is pretty bad as well.

Deborah

Hamptod-

You aren't lying!!! The rain this morning was UNBELIEVABLE! And this is the tail end of the storm. I cannot even imagine what it was like down on the beach and in the southeast.

I was thinking the same thing as I was lying there trying to get back to sleep!! I have a spiral tree in front of my home and we just noticed that it is bent almost to the ground!! Some of the roads around my neighborhood were blocked this morning and I heard the flood warning siren about 9 a.m. What a miserable day but thank god, nothing compared to what those folks in Florida are experiencing.

I heard on the news this morning that my county, Warren was hit with over 6 inches of rain and Plainfield, NJ had a tornado touch down this morning. That area has beautiful tall and very old oak trees and gets pretty hard with we have nor'easters so I hope the trees were okay.

Deborah

Archived