Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

[quote name='sue d. miller']Miriam, you will get tropical winds and rain. It could knock out power and you may very well get some flooding. Prepare as you would if you were in mobile. Lots of canned goods, hand can opener, tub full of water, and I have a new big trash can full of water. Tons of snacks, soda if you can drink it warm, instant coffee and instant creamer, animal food, candles, batteries, baby wipes to wash with, Paper plates, cups, bowl, plastic silverware, battery operated radio for news, I think that is it. If it gets bad, and it isn't there yet, take your animals and go. I just posted hotels that will take pets in the jacksonville area, and they have availability. We are with you every step of the way!!! :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Sue!! I called a friend and shared your list with her, too! I have everything else, except the baby wipes. Used to have some but they were sold in my moving sale! I've started stocking up on water -- I have filtered water and that tank holds a couple of gallons of water, too. If I lose power, I'm set with candles and good flashlights and am stocked up on batteries.

Now they're not sure how bad it's going to be here. You know, if I lose power, I guess I'll have to drink the beer in the fridge first!! lol

[QUOTE] Mir - Were you in Atlanta for those wretched back-to-back weekend ice storms a few winters back? What's going to happen probably won't be any worse than that was - and, at least you won't be freezing your a$$ off! It's pretty ironic that you're so far from the coast and I'm so close and you're going to have it much worse than we are. There are days when Mother Nature just sucks! We'll all be thinking of you. Stay in touch! Donia [/QUOTE]
Donia, yes I was here, in this house. We lost a number of trees, part of the fence around the pool and I think a gutter fell off the roof. We were without power for eight hours, but it was during the day and we had wood for the fireplace which really warmed up the living room. You're right, at least I won't be cold this time!

We had a direct hit from Opal in '95 and THAT was no fun. Some people didn't have power for more than a week. I was without for just over a day. I had planned well for that one, too, so there was no problem for me.

[QUOTE]You say that Atlanta is getting a direct hit?? When? I am flying into there on Friday! Around lunch!

Christy[/QUOTE]
Christy -- check with your airline. The worst of it is supposed to be tomorrow, all day. We're under a high wind watch through Friday morning. Are you staying in the Atlanta area or going elsewhere from here? The biggest fear is the combination of wind and rain and the big pine trees falling on houses and power lines.

It looks like I'll be fine through the night. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, you'll know I have no power.

Well out here whenever we get a good sized quake filling the tubs is the first thing I think of. Especially b/c after a quake the risk of fire is high and once the firefighters get those hydrents going the water pressure drops to zero!!

Seriously no we do not have gas but a lot of folks here do use propane. Additionally in SF where I grew up there are many many people the use natural gas. I was taught from day one if there is a quake--fill up tubs, while tubs are filling turn off gas, once tubs are filled turn off water at the main if you suspect any leakage at all. A large part of the 1906 quake was not so much due to the quake itself but to the fires that broke out across the city and then merged.

Hello, I just talked to my Mom in Pensacola and they lost power while we were on the phone. Already! It's going to be a long night for them. They were trying to get us to come up there during all of the other storms, including Ivan, now I wish they were here (Lakeland/Central Florida). I hate it when the hurricanes come through at night, specially without power. Well, I'd rather them not come at all, but if I had to choose, I'd pick daytime.

I also just called my best friend in Panama City, and they aren't expecting a direct hit, but, they just had tornadoes in her area.

I am praying for alot of family and friends in this path, I don't wish this on anyone.

Vicki

[quote name='sue d. miller']Miriam, I forgot anbesol!!! It works for any boo boo, other than an artery. Then use a belt!!![/QUOTE]
Anbesol? I have Neosporin, Band-Aids, belts, butterfly bandages, ACE bandages....

[QUOTE]Remember folks to fill up all of your bathtubs....if there becomes a problem with water pressure you can flush your toilets by pouring in a bucket of bathtub water.

[/QUOTE]
Dosi, now I understand the bathtub water!! Fire is not good. I've been in a fire, that is my biggest fear -- being in another.

Dear friends of mine went thru the Northridge quake -- half of their subdivision burned down. But they had no warning.

I'm going to fill TWO bathtubs tonight!

Thanks everyone! Especially, you, Sue.

No Donia the bathtub water IS for flushing. Where we live, if the firefighters use the water in the hydrants then the water pressure goes down to zero and the tanks of the toilets do not refil. Honey your mama was right!!!

Gee, it seems that Florida is getting it from all sides, and now into the Mobile area. I've seen some shots already on the Weather Channel and it doesn't look pretty. Stay inland as far as you can go-if you can. Donia-hope your cousins stay safe, but it looks as if New Orleans is going to avoid a direct hit. Everyone be careful out there tonight and tomorrow!
Meanwhile, I'm packing for my cruise Saturday, leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale.
Take care. Lynne

I saw the wave predictions earlier! Its horrible!

Boy...if New Orleans even gets 1/2 of what they're predicting...there won't be anything left!! When we were there in Jan...I remember one of the locals explaining their sewer/resevior system; and alto I don't remember the specifics...I know they can't take much before the city literally falls apart!!!

I feel so horrible for everyone is this monster's path!

And I'll need a rope tied around me to keep me from any deep water! I never did go into the deep end of the pool-I'm only 4'11 1/2 " tall and I always wanted to be able to touch the bottom!
I'm not glad I'm not in the path of Ivan or I'd definitely be doing my Mary Poppins impersonation. Lynne

Archived