Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

I spoke with my brother in Cayman early this morning--he is okay, condo is still standing (amidst water) but he survivied. The island has been damaged heavily and the damage is much worse than expected. I don't think there was a "safe" place to be. And in his words having lived through many storms and previous hurricanes--"This was the BIG ONE".

The island will rebuild and new trees will grow. My hope is that their hearts will heal as well. It would have been a terrifying experience for all to have experienced.

Sandy

How sad to read of all the devastation especially if you have been to GC or any other island and feel connected to the people there. I hope the cruise ships will resume visiting these islands ASAP so we can at least support them with our $$. We wish them all well.

Sue:

Thanks for your links and hard work to keep everyone posted........Cayman is one of my all time favorite ports.......been there 3 times........it may be awhile before any cruise ship goes there.........prayers are with them and Jamacia and Grenada as well.........

Just heard the Keys are back open and have lifted the evacuation orders and are allowing people back........they are asking that tourists wait until Thursday before returning.

They have lifted the evac order for Key west. They can return. I think it is a mistake. I don't think it will get heavy weather, but these things have been known to bag a uey, and could take a big turn right. In another day ot two it should be past the keys. Let them return then!!! Just my opinion!!!

Sue:

Listen to this..........the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston cancelled Key West and Grand Cayman and were to substitute with Belize and maybe Progresso (not sure on the second Mexican port)........I'm not sure what days they were supposed to go...........but now I'm wondering if this may indeed be the first 7 day at sea cruise?????????????? Everyone on the RC boards are wondering where this ship is going to go.

Jim

Kool!! That might be fun, as long as they don't put any passport ports in there. Yes!! Shoot me. We haven't got them yet, but I am going to mortgage my house just to pay for hurricane supplies!!!!! LMAO!!! I havent been getting much for the fridge at a time, and getting all this canned crap, cause they keep getting bigger. and we aren't using it, so more food!!! :confused: I cn't wait for this cruise!! Let the ship worry about supplies!!!!! :D

Sue:

Right or wrong........they must feel pretty confident in the Key West area.......

Airport remains closed but Greyhound bus service resumes beginning tonight.....the schools will also remained closed through tomorrow.

LOL!! I am trying to find a place to put all the cans, paper stuff, water, baby wipes, soda, batteries, candles, hurricane lamps. :eek: real food shopping!!! Yay!!!! :D I went into Publics on chiquita last night and it was empty!! They said everyone left!!! Went to the pier yesterday, and it was empty too!! On a sunday, I couldn't believe it!!!! :confused:

Everyone laughed at me when I stockpiled batteries and candles. They don't anymore!

I agree it is too soon to return to Key West. They are still going to have high winds and most likely heavy surf if not storm surge. DH wanted to take down the shutters, I said not before this thing is long gone. And then not all of them!

You know, you brought up a good point, with all the port changes you really do need to have your passport.

Jim, just to let you know what I just heard. In Florida they close bridges if winds get close to 50 mph. They said winds in key west are now at 48 mph!!! Should have waited!!! We are getting winds here from Ivan and they are almost 40 mph gusts. So it will get much higher in the keys when that thing finally clears tha channel!!

I know. It was supposed to go over Havana, and here it is next to Cancun!! Nobody knows what it will really do. NWS was really wrong for Charley, with weather guys telling them it was turning, and they said NO!! it isn't, for 1 1/2 hours. So Punta Gorda didn't even get an evac order!!! So now I thing it is time to make all mistakes on the safe side. Then if anyone is wrong, people are still safe!!!!

New report!!
September 13, 1:45AM EDT - Cuba - Yucatan!!??
A short update... It's been a long day... The eye of Ivan stayed, just as with Jamaica, just to the west of Grand Cayman! But it passed very close along the western side of the island (7 Mile Beach area/George Town). There are lots of reports of wind damage and flooding, but no casualties so far... Cell phone communications are intermittend... but at least it works sometimes... More reports are posted here.
The official forecast takes the center of Ivan (again a Category 5) to the west of Isle of Youth and over the western tip of Cuba. However... the forecasted track is continuously moving more westward, and looking at the satellite loops, Ivan is wobbling more to the west already then the forecast... These slow moving hurricanes are hard to predict... I see a big danger for the Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula... Right now the closest point of appraoch with Cancun is just 140 miles (23 hours). With this track having a westernly tendency it might get much closer. I don't think that they really understand the potential danger... Strangely enough no hurricane warnings have been posted yet for the Yucatan... You should always err on the safe side with a category 5 hurricane. The Florida Keys didn't get evacuated for nothing last Friday, despite the fact that it now looks that the center will probably a safe 260 miles from Key West, with more then 28 hours to go before it reaches its closest point of approach. So for people in Cancun/Cozumel/etc. reading this... WAKE UP and take the necessary precautions...

[quote name='sue d. miller']They have lifted the evac order for Key west. They can return. I think it is a mistake. I don't think it will get heavy weather, but these things have been known to bag a uey, and could take a big turn right. In another day ot two it should be past the keys. Let them return then!!! Just my opinion!!![/QUOTE]I agree with you, Sue. I think it's a mistake. They're already feeling effects from the feeder bands!

Also, see where Jim Cantore or Mike Seidel go. I just hope a friend of mine who does camera, isn't with either one of them. He was on call starting yesterday to go wherever The Weather Channel sent him.

Oh, and just heard that Ivan the Terrible took a little jog to the east :( . It has a mind of its own!

It's terrible to hear and see everything from Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Grenada. I've been to all (really loved Cayman and Grenada).

We are all learning stuff about hurricanes this season Merriam, but where is the common sense??? I am doing the same thing!! LOL!! Jim Cantore hasn't been on in a couple of days, so I think he is chilling, waiting to see just where this thing is really going!!! I bet he shows up tomorrow somewhere. It is supposed to go by me late tomorrow, so they should have some clue then!!

Archived