Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

Morning all...

I got up and first thing this morning went to other websites to see how Jamaica faired!! Silly me....I should have known Sue would be the best source of info!!:D That beautiful island still has areas unrepaired from hurricanes years ago and a lot of their beaches are slowly being destroyed.
I'm so glad to hear that at least it wasn't a direct hit!!

Continued prayers that Ivan continues to swing out west...well...not too west..as we're scheduled to be in Cancun next week!

Deb

I got up around 7:30AM and was watching Fox for info. The forecaster said that we still have 3 days to decide where Ivan is going to go for sure. Obviously, those of us on the West Coast and inland counties hope he goes more west. This morning, after having missed most of Jamaica, it he was heading for the western resort areas and had returned to a more north/northwest track from straight west.The forecaster was concerned with the timing-high tide comes into St. Petersburg Tuesday afternoon.

Right now, the sun is out and we are going to have a "normal" weekend. I'm going into work for awhile to do the Birthday party for the 103 year old gentleman and then I'm going shopping. Trevor is about to go out and fill up the gas tank for my car while there is still gas available at our nearby station.That will relieve one anxiety on my part. Our mess is cleaned up from Frances so we'll just enjoy our nice weekend before our cruise-one week from today!!! Lynne

Stores were oddly quiet, with good selection of everything. Unfortunately I got something I didn't plan on--a nail in my brand new tire. And my tire coverage doesn't cover nails.

I just hope we continue on that same track. Are everyones fingers crossed like they are supposed to be?

Yuk, on the tire!! All the models have the same track now!! And because Ivan went south of Jamaica, it may go a little more west!! That would be super. I would lots rather tropical winds!!! Piece of cake!! We will be fine. We can get slapped around a bit, but they can't take us down!! We will get through this one together too!!! :)

From CNN.com 15:13 09/11/04

At 2 p.m. ET, the storm was moving away from the island and was about 70 miles (112 km) southwest of the western tip of the island. It was about 170 miles (273 km) east-southeast of Grand Cayman, the National Hurricane Center said.

Ivan had maximum sustained winds of 145 mph (230 kph) with higher gusts.

Hurricane force winds extended up to 45 miles (75 km), while tropical storm force winds stretched 175 miles (280 km). The storm is expected to dump 8 to 12 inches of rain in its wake and bring storm surge flood of 5 to 8 feet above normal.

The storm had been drifting westward, but was expected to move between the west-northwest and northwest at 8 mph (13 kph)

Ahead of the storm, Jamaican Prime Minister P.J. Patterson declared a "period of public emergency" in a radio address to the nation.

Flooding was already reported in the hours before the most devastating part of the storm was to arrive. The main highway heading from the Jamaican capital to the eastern part of the country was under water.

About a half million coastal residents had been told earlier in the day to evacuate and head to higher ground.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami described Ivan as "an extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane that could increase in strength over the next 24 hours.

Ivan was moving to the west-northwest at 8 mph (13 kph), which would put it near the Cayman Islands in the next 24 hours.

Journalist Kirk Abrahams said there were reports of looting around Jamaica, and police had arrested four in the western part of the island near Montego Bay for attempting to loot several businesses.

Earlier, Cuban President Fidel Castro went on national television and warned residents to prepare for the storm.

"Whatever the hurricane does, we will all work together," he said.

Castro added, "From beforehand, I am saying we will not accept any help from those who have applied economic measures against our country. Save the hypocrisy of offering aid to Cuba."

To the north in hurricane-weary Florida, where two major storms have caused billions of dollars in damage in the last month, residents of the Florida Keys packed their cars and boarded up their homes on Friday to escape Ivan.

Gov. Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency in advance of the storm, saying the state faces "yet another catastrophic disaster."

"This is time to prepare and not to panic," he told residents.

Key West Mayor Jimmy Weekley said nearly all of the businesses there had been boarded up and that residents were leaving en masse after seeing the damage that Charley and Frances wrought on other parts of Florida in recent weeks.

"The residents here in Key West saw what really happened and they took heed to the evacuation orders," he said.

The National Hurricane Center said Ivan's most likely path would bring it over the Keys and into the eastern Gulf of Mexico late Sunday or early Monday.

The hurricane center's director, Max Mayfield, said the Keys could get tropical storm force conditions beginning Sunday morning

Update on Ivan!! It has upgraded again to a cat.5. Winds at 165 mph. NHS says Ivan is tied at 6th most powerful hurricane to ever cross the caribbean. The service says there is no way the keys will avoid Ivan. They WILL see effects of the storm. Right now, Jeb bush has trucks driving down the state of Florida with supplies of food, ice water, blankets, pillows, and medical equipment going to Miami, so when the hurricane passes the keys and moves into the gulf. These supplies will move immediately down the keys to affected areas. He would not wait until the hurricane has cleared the state!!

Hi Marci!! Just the latest one that is up there!! Another one is coming out at 5 p.m. This is only my opinion. but I think we will get a ot of rain and wind, but make landfall in the panhandle!! They are talking about three strike ares all day!! FT. Myers, Tampa, and the panhandle!! Unless that sucker takes a real fast turn off of cuba, I don't think it will hug the coast. Maybe 60 to 80 miles off coast!! Then go into the panhandle!! We will still have to wait till monday a.m. to get a true feel for what it might do. We will be ok!! Whatever it does!! Easy, No. but it will be ok!! I believe it!!! :) Check out the floataway lounge, if you have a minuite. [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=78492[/url]

Just stick with me and we will come through just fine.!!!!

Thanks so much, Sue. I saw the link. Dave sent it to me and I just sat here and cried my eyes out. To think that there is this kind man I've never met, who lives hundreds of miles away, and he takes the time to put his heart out there and pull for us. It really helped us to not feel as alone as one can tend to feel during this desperate time. I know we aren't alone at all, but so many people at this point are feeling so helpless and in such despair. It really isn't in our hands anymore. We can't find plywood at this point, so prayer will have to cushion the blows...
I'm sure you know what I mean and you are such a survivor that I will take your cues! Thanks again for your updates. I am at the point where I just need a break from the weathercasters on TV.
Ivan, please bear west....very far west...
Marci

Marci, may I make a suggestion. Before tuesday, take hubby out to dinner at your favorite place. Have nice conversation about anything other than Ivan. Just have a nice time together!! When you get home, find a nice movie to watch, no news, and just cuddle!!! :) We can't always have everything we want, so we have to make do with what we have!! Make the best of it, and stay positive!! It is all attitude. Fear and panic don't work. And the stress sucks. So just believe!! If you need me I am always here. I will be posting till I lose power. Maybe I won't lose it this time!! :) My email is in my profile under interests. We WILL get through this together. The entire country is praying for us, an the support we have on this board is phenominal!! And Prayers DO work!!! :D

Hi Sue and Everybody-Sue you must have been typing when I came on the thread because your post time and my clock were the same! I just saw your 5PM update. Am I to assume that Ivan is tracking more to the West? It looks it on the graphic.The tropical winds extend out 175 miles, so we inland counties could still get some weather but not brutal like the first time? There was a thunderstorm in Sebring this afternoon while I was still at work that was even pretty strong. One of the residents had gone to K-mart after the Birthday party and came back soaked. She said the power kept going out up there, too. If a regular storm can do that, then, wheeeee!Everything seems so unsettled here at the moment-weather doesn't know what it wants to do!
One good thing, the blooms are coming back on our crepe myrtle tree by our garage!
I decided to go shopping tomorrow for my cruise stuff because Walmart is right in front of our church. I'll be right up there.
That's it for now. The birthday party was fine, Sue.He appreciated it as did his family.I'll try to check in later tonight. I just got home around 4:30PM. Lynne

Archived