Embarkation time

buzzland

Our docs for the Voyager indicate 2:30 to embark. yet I recall reading somewhere on this forum that they will let you board as early as noon even tho suites won't be ready until later. Any info?

On our November 19 cruise we went to the cruise terminal about 11:30 or so and were on the ship by probably 12:30. The boarding procedure was very smooth. We dropped our carry ons off in our room, went and had a delicious lunch at La Veranda and then toured the ship.

We have been able to board at 12:30-1:00 in the past. We love to get on board with not many people there yet and do a little self tour of the ship which is to be our home for the next __ days. We go from bottom to top and wind up wherever is open for a snack or late lunch.

We'll probably arrive about 12:30 or 1:00, depending on what else we're doing.

Last December I found the process slower than usual, mostly because of port security. It's pretty tight, and slows things down. Not bad at all, though.

I wonder if the hot tubs are going that afternoon? :) That's a week and a half or so from now!!

We normally show up at the dock around noon - and have always been able to board right away except for one cruise - Nov 4 06, Voyager Rome to Ft Lauderdale. Apparently there had been a surprise safety exercise sprung on the crew (by Ft. L office) and they were running late. So what did they do with us ??- there were about 75-100 people waiting to board!

In true Regent style we were nicely greeted and the delay was explained. (Now in my book, since our documents said boarding around 3pm, no explanation was necessary. But it was given anyway!).

Coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks were available, as were seats etc. We waited for around an hour (we had been told we could "probably" board at 1pm - and then we were asked on board. Very cool, very gracious - and very Regent!

Once on board we were again greeted, given a glass of sparkling wine (which for some reason they insist on calling champagne, which it isn't, but this is a minor peeve of mine!) and taken to the Constellation Theatre for photograph, ID/Suite key card etc. Then up to la Veranda for a nice lunch. After that we settled down in the Observation Lounge (more sparkling wine offered, but not taken!) and promptly at 2.30 Bryan Townsend, CD extraordinaire, told us to go to our suites.

Now - we have friends who cruise on Silversea. They pay $100 per person to be able to board early. I have never understood how Regent can do this perfectly and SS, which is supposed to be "grande luxe" cannot!!:)

Now - we have friends who cruise on Silversea. They pay $100 per person to be able to board early. I have never understood how Regent can do this perfectly and SS, which is supposed to be "grande luxe" cannot!!:)

Hambagahle, I find the $100 that Silversea charges for early embarkation crazy. As long as people pay it, they will continue to charge it.

Yes, when our boarding was delayed in FLL, it was handled very nicely, at least the Regent part. If I remember correctly, the check-in and photos were done on dockside, after sitting in a lounge with the bubbly for about an hour. They called people in groups so the line would not be bad. But then through the gangway it was slow, lots of security, metal detectors, etc.

The wait that time was mostly because Navigator had just had a refit, and they were still working on the ship (in fact they continued working on it all that day.)

Early embarkation on SS has it's merits. We were able to check our luggage.....board and get rid of our hand luggage at 10:30 a.m. then cross the dock and go shopping.....it was well worth the $100.00. We did not have to worry about lugging things around nor wait in any lines. We felt like we got a jump on the day and our in port shopping all before joining our friends onboard at the normal embarkation time. All those that wanted to upgrade once onboard were able to do so and get the upgrade before others asked for it as well. So it does have it's pluses.....it's all what's important to you for the $100.00.

Pat

Pat

I agree it's all about what is important to you. I never thought of upgrades because I never heard of any people getting upgrades on RSSC. I suppose it must happen, and people like Wendythewanderer might know more about it!

To me, it seems so nice to arrive at the dock at noon - ish - get rid of my suitcases, check in and get my ID/suite card, get rid of my luggage (just my handluggage left) and then go off and have lunch - at NO extra cost. I am sorry I may be thick - but I just don't get the Silversea policy anymore than I get the Crystal requirement that you tip like crazy and pay for your drinks!

Gerry

Gerry, you can get on any ship, on any line and ask for an upgrade if there are any cabins available......usually it comes down to what's available and if you want to pay the extra that they happen to be quoting at that point in time. The upgrades are not usually free but a lot less then if you had of purchased a higher category right up front when booking. Anything to get a bit more money out of you and make you happy at the same time.....again it depends on what categories and how many cabins are empty when enquiring.

LOL here.....if you saw my hand luggage then you would understand why I don't like lugging it around while off the ship shopping so it was worth the $100.00 just to get rid of it and also check things into our wall safe. For the prices that Crystal charges I don't understand all of the extra fees either.

Pat

In our letter from our Amex Platinum travel agent it says we get ""exclusive embarkation." Does anyone have expeience with this or know exactly what it is?

When checking in at the pier before boarding the ship there is usually a table and area set up that says Amex Platinum...where you can check in...I have only used them on one occasion as they have always been busier then the regular lines for the other pax.

Pat

I have only seen that Amex Plat desk on one of my many cruises, I think it was in Venice. Otherwise, everyone gets the same boarding with no waiting. I always try to get on at about noon, and love that Regent does not charge for this.

hvsteve, did you have a cabin guarantee price? In this case, if you pay for say G guaranteee, you may get upgraded to cabin more expensive, but still same cabin. I prefer to be lower on ship. On a rare occasion, I have heard of people getting a "real" upgrade to a different and larger cabin, but not often. Once when I was "upgraded" to deck 10 on this system, I put myself on a list for "downgrade", since I prefer lower on the ships!

Archived