Playing 'Hide the Conquest'...

*Mach*

Well someone predicted that b4 they left. I wonder who?;)

I hope the passengers understand it could happen to anyone, just happened to be them. Hopefully CCL will offer a discount off a future cruise in addition to the OBC.

BTW-no luck in booking one of the Conquest bargain ($299) cabins offered in the Xmas sale today. I had a PVP on the phone as it turned 3:00 and they were already gone. If they ever existed.:rolleyes:

Well someone predicted that b4 they left. I wonder who?;)

I hope the passengers understand it could happen to anyone, just happened to be them. Hopefully CCL will offer a discount off a future cruise in addition to the OBC.

BTW-no luck in booking one of the Conquest bargain ($299) cabins offered in the Xmas sale today. I had a PVP on the phone as it turned 3:00 and they were already gone. If they ever existed.:rolleyes:

I figured as much, that was quit a deal. It was alot cheaper than my interline rate. Im really more of a balcony kinda girl tho.

The port facilities have nothing to do with the weather.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... or in this case, replace it.

I think you may have about 2900 people disagreeing with you. We came back on the Conquest that Sunday (the 9th) and the line of people waiting to board was from the front of the terminal to the end--how long is that, a couple of hundred yards? The porters said some of them had been standing in line for 6 hours. It was also painfully obvious that they were going to be in that line many more hours before getting on board.

I don't think pouring millions of dollars into a new terminal is the only solution--I think the answer is to find a more efficient way to handle the people who are going to have to wait for hours on end.

Why not have a mini check-in, take a number and be able to leave the area without losing your place in line? I know, there are a thousand reasons it wouldn't work, but it appears that Carnival's only contingency plan for weather delays is to have people stand in line until the weather clears. What would happen if it had taken a couple of days for the Conquest to dock?

Instead of just throwing in the towel and saying that's the way it is, Carnival should try to be a bit creative and find solutions to these problems since they will surely pop up again.

I think you may have about 2900 people disagreeing with you. We came back on the Conquest that Sunday (the 9th) and the line of people waiting to board was from the front of the terminal to the end--how long is that, a couple of hundred yards? The porters said some of them had been standing in line for 6 hours. It was also painfully obvious that they were going to be in that line many more hours before getting on board.

I don't think pouring millions of dollars into a new terminal is the only solution--I think the answer is to find a more efficient way to handle the people who are going to have to wait for hours on end.

Why not have a mini check-in, take a number and be able to leave the area without losing your place in line? I know, there are a thousand reasons it wouldn't work, but it appears that Carnival's only contingency plan for weather delays is to have people stand in line until the weather clears. What would happen if it had taken a couple of days for the Conquest to dock?

Instead of just throwing in the towel and saying that's the way it is, Carnival should try to be a bit creative and find solutions to these problems since they will surely pop up again.

I agree that what happened last Sunday was very unfortunate but you failed to quote the rest of my statement... do you build for the worst case or for the norm? I don't believe there's a cruise terminal in the world that would have facilities for three thousand people to be comfortable for six or eight hours.

I don't know if it's Carnival's place to come up with a solution or if it's something that Galveston needs to address as they own the terminal. As you said, there are myriad reasons that a 'mini check in' wouldn't work but the primary, I believe, would be security. Where would the carry on baggage go in the interim? How long would the lines for the returning passengers be with 3000 people going through security a second time and how long would it take? How would you notify the 2000 or so passengers who had elected to leave for a period of time that the ship was ready to board?

Consider what happens at virtually all of the large airports throughout the US when a winter storm shuts down the north east. Thousands of folks sleeping on the floors of the terminals, wandering about trying to burn up the idle hours, a great many for more than a day.

I don't have a solution but I can understand at least a few of the logistics problems that come into play in these situations. Let's hope that the folks who suffered the hours standing in line were treated exceptionally well on board.

This situation isn't restricted to Galveston. Pretty much any sea port in the world could suffer exactly the same fate. Without doubt, this will be a learning experience for both Galveston and Carnival.

Just my $.02...

Consider what happens at virtually all of the large airports throughout the US when a winter storm shuts down the north east. Thousands of folks sleeping on the floors of the terminals, wandering about trying to burn up the idle hours, a great many for more than a day.

That's the first thing I thought of reading his post. Putting beds in all the terminals when something happens where the planes can't fly. :rolleyes:

Yeah, OK.

I agree that what happened last Sunday was very unfortunate but you failed to quote the rest of my statement... do you build for the worst case or for the norm? I don't believe there's a cruise terminal in the world that would have facilities for three thousand people to be comfortable for six or eight hours.

I don't know if it's Carnival's place to come up with a solution or if it's something that Galveston needs to address as they own the terminal. As you said, there are myriad reasons that a 'mini check in' wouldn't work but the primary, I believe, would be security. Where would the carry on baggage go in the interim? How long would the lines for the returning passengers be with 3000 people going through security a second time and how long would it take? How would you notify the 2000 or so passengers who had elected to leave for a period of time that the ship was ready to board?

I don't have a solution but I can understand at least a few of the logistics problems that come into play in these situations. Let's hope that the folks who suffered the hours standing in line were treated exceptionally well on board.

This situation isn't restricted to Galveston. Pretty much any sea port in the world could suffer exactly the same fate. Without doubt, this will be a learning experience for both Galveston and Carnival.

Just my $.02...

I was thinking more along the lines of "take a number" and then being allowed to leave the area without losing your place in line. Once the ship is ready to board then anyone with the numbers 1-100 are allowed to board first, etc. Of course no system would be easy, but there has to be a better way than just standing in line--nobody was willing to leave the line and lose his place.

(While we were waiting for our ride a few passengers arrived and had to go to the back of the line--can you imagine being number 2, 999 in line. :mad:

One lady arrived and asked the porter where the VIP check-in was; he answered that she had to get inside the terminal first, IOW, "...go to the back of the line"! :eek: She wasn't too happy, being a "VIP and all"!)

I was thinking more along the lines of "take a number" and then being allowed to leave the area without losing your place in line. Once the ship is ready to board then anyone with the numbers 1-100 are allowed to board first, etc. Of course no system would be easy, but there has to be a better way than just standing in line--nobody was willing to leave the line and lose his place.

(While we were waiting for our ride a few passengers arrived and had to go to the back of the line--can you imagine being number 2, 999 in line. :mad:

One lady arrived and asked the porter where the VIP check-in was; he answered that she had to get inside the terminal first, IOW, "...go to the back of the line"! :eek: She wasn't too happy, being a "VIP and all"!)

Well, with luck they will put together something that will work or at least work better. That, fortunately, is above my pay grade!! :D

Yeah... that VIP stuff is great but you have to get inside first where they care that you're a VIP!!!

When everyone scatters after they have their "number"...how are they notified when it is time for them to board?? Dot

Beepers, large neon sign, loudspeaker, computer/Internet, cell phones, pre-assigned times to check-in, I'm sure there is a way. It isn't a perfect solution, more of a suggestion for Carnival to put their "thinking cap" on and not become the "JetBlue" of the cruise industry.

I think this is where common sense missed the boat. (pun intended)

I have school kids who do not want to loose their place in line, even though they will all end up in the same area, and have the same lunch. It goes for what happened in Galveston too. No One is kept at the terminal against their will.

There were people waiting for the Conquest this Sunday that knew the ship was not even in yet. We all know(if you read the boards) that the ship has to unload, the rooms have to be cleaned, and the food for the week has to be placed on board. All of this takes time. They should have known it.

Common sense needed to work in only one area. Do I stand here for many hours, or do I get in a cab, and go get something to eat, or just go to Wal Mart and walk around. If they drove in that morning, did they check to see what the situation was for the ship? If they were staying in a motel in Galveston, did they also check on the ship. Motels in Galveston, empty out on Sunday, because it's a small place, and because the Conquest is so big. Many motels would have probably let you do a late check out. I am sure that my mid morning everyone in Galveston had heard the news, so it wouldn't have been a shock to anyone.

This does not happen very often in Galveston. The building you go through use to be a cargo holding building. It is not fancy, but when things go good, it serves it's purpose.

The showing of the ID at the door before entering the terminal is a recent thing. Not sure what brought that about, but it does cause a bottle neck. I'd go to whoever put that in place and complain to them.

What happened on Sunday has never happened to that extreme before and it may be another decade before it happens again. It was no ones fault per se.

Perhaps sometime in the future there will be emergency/special contact messages that can be broadcast to passengers blackberrys, iPhones, communicators, etc. Until that time we deal with it as best we can.

I think this is where common sense missed the boat. (pun intended)

I have school kids who do not want to loose their place in line, even though they will all end up in the same area, and have the same lunch. It goes for what happened in Galveston too. No One is kept at the terminal against their will.

There were people waiting for the Conquest this Sunday that knew the ship was not even in yet. We all know(if you read the boards) that the ship has to unload, the rooms have to be cleaned, and the food for the week has to be placed on board. All of this takes time. They should have known it.

Common sense needed to work in only one area. Do I stand here for many hours, or do I get in a cab, and go get something to eat, or just go to Wal Mart and walk around. If they drove in that morning, did they check to see what the situation was for the ship? If they were staying in a motel in Galveston, did they also check on the ship. Motels in Galveston, empty out on Sunday, because it's a small place, and because the Conquest is so big. Many motels would have probably let you do a late check out. I am sure that my mid morning everyone in Galveston had heard the news, so it wouldn't have been a shock to anyone.

This does not happen very often in Galveston. The building you go through use to be a cargo holding building. It is not fancy, but when things go good, it serves it's purpose.

Very good points Luanne, an experience or educated passenger could have avoided or at least minimized the waiting. I would like to think I would be one of them.

It's going to be interesting Sunday night to begin reading the comments posted by the pax. Knew they'd see Progreso. Bless their hearts.

I have found the Conquest on the web cam this morning. It looks like they have beautiful weather in Cozumel.

They deserve it:). I hope they have two really good days now.

Sun finally out here in central Texas as well. I'll be going outside and getting away from this computer.

We are almost neighbors. We are at Fort Hood.:D

Wow, I can hear the big booms when they are 'playing' their games down there. I live between Clifton and Cranfills Gap in the rural Norse historic district.

I was thinking of driving down to Gatesville this afternoon. Small world.

Have you every seen the statue in the courthouse of the man on the horse, in Gatesville? That was done by a friend of mine. It is a small world.

Beautiful courthouse. I'll drive by it to see the statue again. I guess your aware of all the artists in Bosque county. Was it one of them?

On topic: I thought the Fantasy & Ecstasy have been alternating who would be at the International pier. It would be cool if it were the Conquest & Ecstasy since they share a home port and are rarely together.

The Statue is just inside the front door. It was done by an artist there in Gatesville. His name is Jon Brown

I am using the web site list to determine who is next to the Conquest.

I've never been in trouble in Coryell County, so far, so I've never actually been inside the courthouse. I will stop next time and go in though. It's 36 miles from my place to the new Walmart in Gatesville so it's a 75 mile trip for me to stock up on diet coke and eat lunch somewhere. But I love rural life.

Archived