Fuel Surcharge Canadians only

Daolbuzzard

Just got a call from my TA. Seems that if you are Canadian and booked your cruise before, I think she said Nov. this year, you were protected under Canadian law from having Princess hit you with the Fuel Charge.

I would suggest you Canadians out there check with your travel agent to confirm.

My TA got notification that there was a fuel surcharge and then it was followed up with another notification saying if we booked before the announcement we would not have to pay it.

So we are not paying it...for the 2 cruises we have booked. :)

We booked in Sept. and paid in full at the end of Nov. booked with sears and paid the fee.We booked in U.S. dollars but our friends paid in Canadian.Does that make a difference.

Sheri

It seems the consensus I am seeing from this and the Carnival board is that.. if you booked with a CDN TA you are exempt.. if you booked with either Princess or Carnival direct you are exempt.. if you booked with an US TA you are not exempt:(

You must be booked with a Canadian Agency or directly with the cruiseline. You must be booked in Canadian Dollars.

This applies to all Carnival Corp.

Also, I have clients that have booked cruiseline air from a US gateway in Canadian Dollars and was able to get the surcharge removed.

This applies to bookings made before November 7th only.

Wrong. I booked with an Ontario TA and paid in full in October in USD and the fuel charge has been waived. My TA just emailed me today.

Ontario Cruiser

I don't think the dollars used to book are the issue it is whether it is a CDN or US TA no matter the currency;)

You must be booked with a Canadian Agency or directly with the cruiseline. You must be booked in Canadian Dollars.

Not true. We booked in US funds with a US TA. We just called Princess who confirmed all Canadians get the rebate no matter where you booked. Then we called our US TA, who also called Princess and we are now credited with $120. for a 12 day cruise.

Not true. We booked in US funds with a US TA. We just called Princess who confirmed all Canadians get the rebate no matter where you booked. Then we called our US TA, who also called Princess and we are now credited with $120. for a 12 day cruise.

I'm on the phone with Princess now.......this is going to take a while but yes they are changing all bookings CAD or US dollars.

This is good news!

My question is....to complicate things even more ...is it returned at the same exchange rate we were charged when it was applied!!!

And in what manner is it returned?...obc?...cheque in the mail?...credit to charge card?

I just got off the phone with Princess. First they will not discuss financials because that is something I should be discussing with my TA?!? My TA said they called Princess who said, no?!?

Apparently I would have had to book with a Canadian TA, fly from a Canadian gateway and book before November 7.

I see others flying from a US gateway and booked in US funds still getting the surcharge back and I did book before November 7. Now I don't know what my next step should be because both my TA and Princess simply said I do not qualify. Any suggestions?

This is incredible you Canadians are getting these messages from Princess and your TAs. Go back to my post # 15. I would certainly persist with this. Ask to speak with a supervisor, or insist your TA does this.

As I said in my original post, Princess did confirm we should be getting the rebate. They were pleasant and couldn't have been more helpful. Our US TA also called them to confirm. Within an hour of these calls we received a new invoice from our TA with the original surcharge reversed.

The rebate is to be a credit on our CC. I'm waiting and watching that. :) The bottom line is...if your Canadian and you booked before Nov. '07...you get the rebate. I don't know why, but whose asking.

I am Canadian, booked in US funds, via an US online agency and our TA has confirmed today thru email that the fuel surcharge is being refunded on our credit card.

So anyone getting a different story...needs to persist! Good luck!:eek:

Archived