Do You Think I is Fair???

sail7seas

Grammar.... but who cares, really? I'm here to have fun. :)

sail, is your cruise for 2004 or 2005? We're considering 2005, and our TA told us that prices are considerably higher than they were this year. If you've planned for next year, did you find that to be the case? Of course, they can surely come down, as you noted.

What extra services are you getting when you find a lower price,then you call your ta to ASK them match the lower price.You are joking right? TOM

No, Tom. I am not joking. Perhaps I do not clearly understand your post???

I am quite serious about what I have posted.

I didn't care either, you know I was just razzing you Sail, right?

:D Yes, Gretchen. I did (hope) so. ......I did not run off to my dictionary to 'look it up'. Didn't seem anyone really, truly cared all that much. ;)

Grammar.... but who cares, really? I'm here to have fun. :)

sail, is your cruise for 2004 or 2005? We're considering 2005, and our TA told us that prices are considerably higher than they were this year. If you've planned for next year, did you find that to be the case? Of course, they can surely come down, as you noted.

Lisa....The cruises are for 2005. Quite surprisingly to me, the price (even before I found the additional discounted rate) is lower than what we paid for July 2004.

We thought the price was quite high per diem for the July 2004 as compared to most other cruises we have taken and stayed in the exact same cabin. We did totally enjoy ourselves...obviously, or we would not be eager to return for back-to-backs. The brochure rates are very high and I don't quite understand why they are higher even than Europe. For 2004, we held off booking for several months as we refused to pay the pricing we saw for a long time. Then, the price dropped some and that is when we booked.

I sincerely think the 2005 prices will only rise. If you are thinking about going, you might wish to do some 'shopping now' to see how good a price you can find.

Sail .... I'm with the rest of the posters.

I think you did the RIGHT thing and I honestly don't think your TA was caught off guard by you doing this. I'm guessing that what you did is becoming more and more common because so many of us are 'online shoppers' when it comes to booking a cruise.

(Regarding grammar .... I usually blame my problems on too much wine!! :p )

I believe there was a new promo announced by HAL on Tuesday for 2005 sailings which lowered many cruise rates. Your TA may not have been aware of these at the time you found it on on the internet site, but I'm sure she is aware now!

When we booked our cruise (Prinsendam September 20, '04, Lisboa to Piraeus) we wanted to book with our local TA -- a nice lady who speaks English with whom we have done many thousands of Euros of business over 5 years.

She came back with a number that was 15% HIGHER than the HAL book price, and in Euros, not US dollars, to boot!!!!!!

When we brought in a printout of some of the online TAs' prices, she called her office in Lisboa for us.

'Sorry. That's the price.' (!)

So in this case, WE made a mistake in showing her the available prices. She's now in a position where she can either be loyal to her company and not mention other available prices for cruises, or be loyal to her clients and tell them to look elsewhere also.

Tough call.

Lane

I booked an N guarantee a couple of weeks ago on 11/26 Volendam. I have several sites that send me cruise updates. Yesterday, one came in with an outside guarantee H that was just $30 pp higher. We'd rather have the outside and my TA is off 2 days (til Saturday). I have never used her or the agency before (Vacations to Go). I talked to a manager and he said they could not match the price, but offered no help, and said I would have to talk to her. He also "warned" me about other agencies that are not as "good" as theirs. Final payment is Sunday, 9/12. The other agency is not pushing.

What are your suggestions, group?

Sail, now I know how much this anxiety has affected me. When you said you had a grammatical problem in the title of your thread I sat here trying to figure out what it was:) .

Can you believe it has taken me all this time to see it? How pathetic is that:confused:.

So just for fun let me say, "Yes, you was definitely fair".;)

Good point, Liz. She may not have plowed through her latest batch of e-mails/faxes prior to my call. I think you are very correct that she 'has caught up' on her reading!!! (I would love to be doing the 35 day transatlantics on Maasdam but DH cannot take that much time off. I don't mean to sound greedy ...... I'm thrilled about this booking as we will have the wonderful pleasure of seeing a friend we have not seen for far too long.)

I have never used her or the agency before (Vacations to Go). I talked to a manager and he said they could not match the price, but offered no help, and said I would have to talk to her. He also "warned" me about other agencies that are not as "good" as theirs. Final payment is Sunday, 9/12. The other agency is not pushing.

I've never bought anything from V2Go, but do subscribe to their offerings list and use them to judge other's prices. Still, this is a company which just this spring proved to be seriously "geography challenged", when they listed tours to the Republic of Ireland as a sub-choice under "Great Britain Only"!

According to correspondence I had with the CEO, Allan Fox, his defense was that tourists are stupid: "As Ireland is part of the British Isles, many of our customers who may not be as familiar with the area start by searching that area when looking for tours to Ireland." His email address is alanfox@*****.com and if I were you I'd write to him directly demanding that they meet the price/offer.

Thanks Dave,

I had already sent him a message....it auto-responded that they should contact me within 24 hours. It should be interesting to see what they do. From what I have gathered, I am still able to cancel tomorrow and rebook before final payment due on 9/12.

I have not been able to find a TA that I really like. They all seem to want to book you and be finished! On the rare times I have called about a lower price, they seem to be bothered and not interested in getting me a better price. I would love to know who your TA is and I would book future travels with them.

I received the following responses: While I do think changing the reservation was in our best interest, I was very disappointed with the agent's attitude and curt note sent with the cancellation. At least Mr. Fox and one of his Asst Managers responded, and apologized for the problem with their service, but it was after the window of opportunity had passed to avoid penalties if I had not changed the reservation. I now consider it a learning experience. In fairness, I wanted to post their responses.

"Thank you for writing. I sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with the service your received from our manager when you inquired about a rate you saw on a competitor's Web site. I will investigate this situation immediately, and someone from our office will contact you as soon as possible. Again, I apologize.

Alan Fox Chairman & CEO Vacations To Go "

"We are in receipt of your e-mail regarding your situation with the Holland America booking, I have just checked with (the agent) and the booking has been cancelled. I would like to know the name of the manager that was not able to help you, it is not Vacations To Go policy not service our customers as matter of fact we strive on customer service.

As a standard policy VTG does not match other agencies rates. Since you have cancelled the booking there is nothing I can do at this time.

We do apologize for the manner that you were assisted when calling in.

Please accept our apologies; if there anything else I can assist you with

please let me know.

Gladys

Gladys Llopis Martinez- Assistant Manager"

I have not been able to find a TA that I really like. They all seem to want to book you and be finished! On the rare times I have called about a lower price, they seem to be bothered and not interested in getting me a better price. I would love to know who your TA is and I would book future travels with them.

Pogostick.....I'm sorry but it is against the rules of this board to post TA's names and contact info. I think it also against the rules to offer ones e-mail to communicate privately to "get around the rules".

marybeach.....

Thank you for posting the 'rest of the story'. Sounds like he was at least appropriately apologetic which is encouraging. But, like you, I would have cancelled in time to avoid a penalty.

The TA we normally used, a real bricks and mortar shop which also has a good web presence allowing on-line reservations, has this guarantee:

"Price Guarantee - If at any time before sailing, you are eligible for a lower price, you will be changed to tde lower price. "

<yes, the typo "tde" instead of "the" in in the guarantee>

-dave

Archived