the one thing I might never understand....

JenDalessan

My point was that some accept these changes saying it doesn’t impact or doesn’t matter to them. Sometimes I wish the expert cruisers would post that these things are not in OUR best interest, and push back. I wish we were resistant to these extra charges as some have been to the fuel surcharge (which, surprisingly, I agree with!).

On the contrary, the surcharges DO matter to me! They matter to me at least as much as they do to you, and possibly more. Why? Because I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR SERVICES I DON'T USE. That is the opposite of 'it doesn't matter to me'. I am ecstatically happy that my base fare is low and I am given the choice to spend my hard earned dollars on what I want and NOT what I don't want. I am not interested in most of the pay restaurants, so I definitely do NOT want their menus included in my fare. I don't drink coffee and I drink decaffeinated soda, so I'll be bringing my own on board and am happy not to have the $80 added to my fare to include drinks I will not consume. I rarely eat sweets, so while I hadn't heard that they were available for purchase, I'm glad I'm not paying for the sweet eaters to enjoy them when I don't want any!

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure my opinion on this is shared by a LOT of people. We ALL care very much that there are extra charges - and we appreciate that we don't have to pay those extra charges if we don't want to. :)

we did the 7 days without paying for a surcharge restaurant, no...we don't want the rates raised to include them. we loved our price for our last balcony...DH doesn't drink and hates going to a all-inclusive, he doesn't get his money worth.

Wow....I am speechless. (that is really saying something, I am a gabby girl)

I want to first go on record and say that I really LIKE Mr. Pete. I always have. I think he is a great guy and I almost think some of his posts are being taken wrong. Either way, I would cruise with Mr. Pete anytime.

Second, we taking our family of SEVEN on our upcoming cruise. (11 total in the party, we are paying for 7 of us.)

We have an aft Balcony room for Bill and I and two JJ insides for the kids. Our total cruise fare was $3450. I mean TOTAL, taxes, port fees, everything. 7 nights for 7 people for under $3500, how amazing is THAT?

And as for onboard charges, ours is never more than a few hundred bucks. We are not big drinkers, we don't ever do specialty eating, we don't book excursions (only once, in Jamaica). The tipping charge is mostly what we pay for.

Sure.

The ones that come to mind the quickest are:

The supper clubs. The good food (subject to opinion) used to exist in the regular dining rooms. Now you have to pay for it.

Supper clubs...haven't heard that term since I fell off my dinosaur:D We have enjoyed some "good food" in the main dining rooms often on NCL.

The Sweet shops. The good desserts used to exist in the dining rooms. Now you can buy it!

Sweet shops? Sailed NCL 7 times, never saw a Sweet shop:confused:

Coffee. But I still don’t understand anything Starbucksish. :rolleyes:

The only coffee we pay for is "Irish Coffee".

Soda with dinner. Now you can buy it!

I don't drink soda, the iced tea is fine.

Spa Pools.

They had spa pools 20 years ago?

Some entertainment (very limited)

You pay for entertainment?

Ice Cream (although on NCL, they charged me for it 18 years ago as well).

Never paid for ice cream on NCL anywhere on the ship.

You need to sail with the Sunshine cruisers. We can turn that "frown" .."upside down"!

Happy cruising:)

We have an aft Balcony room for Bill and I and two JJ insides for the kids. Our total cruise fare was $3450. I mean TOTAL, taxes, port fees, everything. 7 nights for 7 people for under $3500, how amazing is THAT?

It is amazing. You are paying $500.00 PP for seven days including all meals and entertainment.

When DH and I started cruising (in suites, no less) we could NOT believe how much MORE we had spent on land vacations for the prior 26 years!

You and Bill are alot smarter than we were.

Hope you post an "updated" photo when you return:)

I love the Sheryl Crow song.

When I first posted the name "sunshine cruisers" I was thinking of the Flintstones episode where Pebbles and Bam Bam are singing

So let the sun shine in

Face it with a grin

Smilers never lose

And frowners never win

So let the sun shine in

Face it with a grin

Open up your heart and let the sun shine in

Just open up your heart and let the sun shine in

On our last cruise (not Norwegian), we had no air conditioning for the first two full days, our tub didn't drain, and the shower head was stripped and faced downward. Yeah, I could have said, hey, no matter, I have those rose colored glasses. But when I go on vacation, I expect those things to not be a problem. And if they are, just as I come back and tell about the good things, I tell about the bad. If people would rather the bad never got mentioned..well, I guess they can just skip my post and posts like it.

By the way, my very first cruise was a Norwegian Pride. Our table service was so bad, that by day four the person who was our waiter, was filling water glasses, and the Maitre de was taking orders (our meals were taking 3 hours..without dessert..the server told us if we wanted faster service to go to the buffet). I wasn't as upset as I could have been, because I knew to expect it, thanks to people on this board who posted about the service.

I think what it comes down to is - as long as a review is well balanced, I am going to read it. I don't think that anyone even on this thread is going to gripe if you gripe about legitimate issues. It's when people post threads that are full of nothing but complaints that seem rather trivial in nature that is going to get people's tailfeathers up.

Not having air conditioning in your room for two days? significant problem.

Me going on a cruise last december and having to wait 3 hours to embark at 5pm? significant problem.

But it's all a matter of how you present it, and how you let it effect you.

On our last cruise (not Norwegian), we had no air conditioning for the first two full days, our tub didn't drain, and the shower head was stripped and faced downward. Yeah, I could have said, hey, no matter, I have those rose colored glasses. But when I go on vacation, I expect those things to not be a problem. And if they are, just as I come back and tell about the good things, I tell about the bad. If people would rather the bad never got mentioned..well, I guess they can just skip my post and posts like it.

By the way, my very first cruise was a Norwegian Pride. Our table service was so bad, that by day four the person who was our waiter, was filling water glasses, and the Maitre de was taking orders (our meals were taking 3 hours..without dessert..the server told us if we wanted faster service to go to the buffet). I wasn't as upset as I could have been, because I knew to expect it, thanks to people on this board who posted about the service.

Rick, you are talking about REAL problems and you have every reason to be upset about those. I would be upset if my shower did not work or if my toilet was clogged or if I was treated badly or any of the REAL reasons that people get upset. My original post was aimed at people who complain about "silly" things, like no chocolate milk some other thing that can be overlooked if chosen.

For anyone who has a real problem, like you described, I really feel bad for you. I hope this is the exception to the rule. I also hope you were compensated.

For anyone who has a real problem, like you described, I really feel bad for you. I hope this is the exception to the rule. I also hope you were compensated.

We were not compensated. I didn't ask, and until I got home and read where someone else got comp'd $100 because the end of their bed was damp from a sprinkler, it never occured to me. They did do their best to fix the problems..although the lack of air was a killer.

I want to first go on record and say that I really LIKE Mr. Pete. I always have. I think he is a great guy and I almost think some of his posts are being taken wrong. Either way, I would cruise with Mr. Pete anytime.

Same here!

And it looks like you actually read my posts the way they were meant! :D

I do totally agree that there are certain problems that can't be overlooked. Major maintenance issues that are addressed but then do not get fixed is one and outright rude customer service is not ok either.

It is like JenD said, there are real problems and then there is trivial stuff that just shouldn't matter in the big scheme of things or the drama given to certain reviews when someone experiences a less than perfect cruise.

Rick, you are talking about REAL problems and you have every reason to be upset about those. I would be upset if my shower did not work or if my toilet was clogged or if I was treated badly or any of the REAL reasons that people get upset. My original post was aimed at people who complain about "silly" things, like no chocolate milk some other thing that can be overlooked if chosen.

Jen,

Great post! I can't understand people whose entire cruise was ruined by something petty (pulls in the carpet was one of my favorites) then rant on the boards how much they hated and will never sail again on that line only to be booked on the same ship a year later.

We were on the Celebrity Galaxy last November cruising the Med. I was a little nervous about the ship because the reviews made it sound like a float garbage barge ready to become a coral reef. In reality it was a beautiful ship that was a little worn around the edges but far from horrible. The 4 of us had a great time and loved this cruise. I learned from this cruise that taking formal wear for 4 people with weight restricted luggage was difficult packing and would have preferred to leave the formal wear at home. But it didn't ruin our cruise at all.

I travel with a negative cranky husband who never has anything positive to say about anything (thankfully he doesn't know about this board and we ignore his cranking) and two boys ages 13 and 9 who love to travel thankfully. The only vacation that works for all of us is a cruise because everyone can do their own thing, especially hubby because he loves cruising, during the day and we can meet up for dinner. The boys love cruising meeting and talking to the staff from all over the world learning about them and their culture. My older son likes trying different food to eat that he wouldn't normally get at home. It's a real learning experience for the boys because cruise ships mini UNs.

Like someone else said if I'm not cooking, food shopping, cleaning and driving kids around I'm really happy. Add someone serving me dinner and I'm in heaven!

Eileen

i don't unstand complaining about the wear and tear on a ship, either. with all the people, every week for a few years on end...what do they think is going to happen. all cruise ship are going to show their wear at sometime, no ship stays "new" forever.

everytime someone talks about this, i get a mental picture of them down on their knees examining the carpet. we have much better things to do then wear about a few thread bare carpet spots.

Amen!

I've cruised 11 times, getting ready for my 12th and never had a problem.

I guess when I'm cruising - any little thing seems like...well....any little thing.

I'd rather focus on the FUN. Pour me a drink, set me in that deck chair and watch me relax!

Thanks Jen,

Mary

Hi Everyone!! and Cathi too!!! We sail mostly on NCL.. There isnt one time we could complain...nothing to complain ABOUT!!! I personally think, some people LOOK for things to fuss about. they arent happy unless they are complaining, even at home, with their own selves, others. too bad for them!!! overlook stuff, enjoy life, learn to NOT complain.

Com'on people out thre who are reading all of these posts... LISTEN to all of those who dont complain..isnt it NICE?????? its actually nice to hear people compliment others and help others out when needed. It does a person good to smile, makes everyone smile. Smiling and NOT complaining is VERY CATCHING!!! JUST DO IT!!!

and Cathi!! MY GOSH GIRL!!! you look WONDERFUL!!! LOVE the haircut!!! and you have REALLY lost weight!!! congrats to you're new look my dear!!! keep up the good work!!!

Diane

hi diane, still full of energy and excitement for the next cruise, i see?

i know you will have a good time, you bring it with you. i hope you take several photos of the aft view and many, many photos of your cabin:D

thanx for the nice thoughts,the hair got a little short, but it worked for this cruise, up at 5 am 3 mornings in a row. between trying to get the sunrise photo and getting ready for tours. you think you see weight loss with me, you should see "L". plus he is working out...looking GOOD!!

swtpnk was born a "sunshine" cruiser. go to the floatway lounge the sunshine cruisers have another thread there.

I will actually attempt an answer, though now I'll look like the cruise snob. I think some of the complaints (at least when I lodge my beefs) come from cruisers who have perhaps had better experiences on another line, or were just spoiled on an earlier cruise, so when the next cruise rolls around and the pizza sucks (as it did on my last cruise), people feel the need to gripe. I've been spolied on some cruises to be sure, so when I go on another one that falls short, I get a little peeved. I think it also serves as a criticism, and this website is called Cruise CRITICS, so you're gonna get a lot of that.

Having said all of this, and as many of you take aim at me, I will also say that you can put me on ANY cruise (even Carnival) and I'll find a way to have a good time.

That, and I live in SW Florida where it was 80 degrees on Saturday before it cooled down to barely 70 today.

Commence throwing.

I will actually attempt an answer, though now I'll look like the cruise snob. I think some of the complaints (at least when I lodge my beefs) come from cruisers who have perhaps had better experiences on another line, or were just spoiled on an earlier cruise, so when the next cruise rolls around and the pizza sucks (as it did on my last cruise), people feel the need to gripe. I've been spolied on some cruises to be sure, so when I go on another one that falls short, I get a little peeved. I think it also serves as a criticism, and this website is called Cruise CRITICS, so you're gonna get a lot of that.

Having said all of this, and as many of you take aim at me, I will also say that you can put me on ANY cruise (even Carnival) and I'll find a way to have a good time.

That, and I live in SW Florida where it was 80 degrees on Saturday before it cooled down to barely 70 today.

Commence throwing.

You're missing the point a bit... We're not saying that everything that happens on a ship is going to be perfect. We just don't waste energy complaining about things that are unimportant. Your closing sentiments are pretty much in agreement with the rest of us... so what if the pizza sucks? Don't eat it; there are plenty of other things to be had!! You may not be quite as laid back as some of the rest of us, but you've got the right general idea - cruises are wonderful and anyone who wants to have a good time WILL - even if everything's not perfect. :)

As you can see I am now a member. Great post Jen. If I listed to all the whining I don't think I would every cruise again! My FAVORITE complaint/whine that I hear is "and HOW will I be compensated for...." Nothing better than hearing about whiners getting a free bottle of wine, OBC, etc. for their "troubles". Again, great post!

Archived