Legend or Valor?

FrannyK

Deciding on which ship to take this summer. We were on a Conquest class ship (Liberty cruise shortened to 4 days because of Norovirus) last year but most of the restaurants and other ammenities were unavailable due to Norovirus and the CDC being on board, so, we haven't FULLY experienced Conquest class. The Valor leaves out of Miami. I prefer leaving out of Tampa (Legend)--usually good airfare from Philly. The member reviews of both ships from last summer show better reviews for the Legend. Apparently Valor was not enforcing the adults-only pool rules but Legend was, which is important to us. Itinerary doesn't matter to us. My TA says Valor is a "better" ship and that the Legend is narrow and sails "faster" which makes the ride very bumpy??? He says he was in the aft on Legend and he was tossed up in the air in bed 6 inches most nights?? If we insist on the Legend he would not put us in aft. But actually I was hoping to try out an aft balcony cabin this time, which I guess we can only do on the Valor now. We will have our kids (16, 19) with us so wanted the larger balcony. Apparently Legend has one more pool than Valor, Valor has fish/chips and Legend doesn't. Has anyone been on both the Legend and a Conquest class to help me decide? Thanks!

I can only compare the Triumph (similar to conquest class) and Miracle twice(Legends sister).......I love the Spirit class and would sail the Legend in a heartbeat(If I wasn't booked for the Glory). I just think it has an easier and more comfortable deck plan. Even with sailing around TS Noel back in October I don't think there was much difference in movement and we had midship and the first balcony.

The Tampa port is wonderful to sail from and the bridge shouldn't be missed (I did and I regret it).

As mentioned I'm booked for the Glory but it's because of the people who I'm going with not the ship. If given a choice if it was just my family....I'd book the Legend.

GOOD LUCK and Bon Voyage!!

Sailed the Valor in late Nov., 2006 and again in late April, 2007. Sailed the Legend in late Jan., 2006.

We enjoyed both ships. Have booked Legend's sister ship, Miracle and leave the end of this month.

I think the ``bumpiness'' of the ride in aft cabins on either ship would depend on the weather situation. Don't think the Legend would be any bumpier than the Valor during stormy weather.

Personally, I think you will enjoy either ship you book. Enjoy.

Dianne

I have the same decision as you. People I have talked to said the the layout of the legend was better, but the food on the valor is better. I can deal with a weird layout, so I think we're going with the Valor. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

I have been on both the Legend and the Valor, both aft, I had a very smooth ride on both . although I do love both ships my favorite is the Legend. It was a lot easier to get around, the food was spaced out differently in the lido so you did not have the long lines, and yes they did keep the kids out of the adult only pool . The Valor did not.

You can not go wrong with either one of these ships good luck.

We sailed on the Valor Jan. 2007. This was our 11th cruise and we absolutely loved the Valor. We had a balcony room on the Lido deck - it was a fabulous location. The food was great, service terrific, entertainment fabulous, decor incredible, everything about it was just top notch. We love this ship! You won't be sorry if you go on this beautiful ship.:)

I've been on them both, and I prefer the Legend. We had very long lines on the Lido buffet on the Valor. So long, that we were frustrated and skipped breakfast. We waited in line one morning for 30 minutes. I like the Spirit class design much better.

I vote for the Legend .it is a great ship .They all bounce around in bad storms I think your T/A is full of it 6" off the bed .I bet your T/A has a deal on the valor if they have lots of booking they get some perks from the cruise line >Nuff said there like someone said the buffet is spead out and there were never more then three people in front of me at any time in the day . the food in the dinning room was the best i have had on a cruise ship .BUTthe best was the aft pool adults only no sreaming kids jumping in the pool while you are sitting and talking to other adults and the hot tub was the same .And the layout of the ship is the best all decks go from front to back .You dont have to go up a floor and over to get all the way around the boat .Wich was nice for walking off all the food you eat

Ok is the extra pool on the Legend for adults only?

Yes, the aft Lido pool (Unicorn) is adults only, along with the hot tub. It was enforced on our January sailings, but there are usually very few kids onboard that time of year. I have read that when the ship sails during school vacations the adults only rule is not taken as seriously so you may have to chase off a few kids.

OMG:eek:

Thanks for the reassurance on the Legend for the aft cabin.

We have cabin 6264.

We are going in April and the weather should be good. We have cruised in April before and did not have a problem. Then again we did not have a aft cabin:rolleyes:

WOW, the Legend certainly has lots of fans! This confirms the many positive reviews I have read. As far as trying an aft cabin on the very rear of the ship--do you think that would be a mistake? I am still skittish after what my TA told me. I really do prefer the Tampa airport and port, and, I always thought cruises out of the Gulf were smoother than leaving out of the east coast of FL. I know there is no Fish/Chips on the Legend, what about Asian? Is there a deli w/hot pastrami/cornbeef? Thanks so much for all your responses, it just goes to show that TA's aren't always the best source of cruising info!

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

We were on the Legend last July and I would definitely recommend it. I liked the embarkation better in Tampa, and it was a beautiful ship. The service and food were first rate and the adults-only pool WAS enforced. I don't remember if there was Asian but there is a deli and pizza, a grill with the best cheeseburgers and sushi in the evenings as well. My favorite thing about the Legend was the smaller size - fewer passengers means shorter lines. We were on the Victory a few years ago and found it very crowded in comparison.

That said, we have two cruises planned on the Valor in 2008 and I have read excellent reviews about the ship. IMO, any ship beats work and sun always trumps snow so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

FrannyK user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_12816410", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifThanks All!

WOW, the Legend certainly has lots of fans! This confirms the many positive reviews I have read. As far as trying an aft cabin on the very rear of the ship--do you think that would be a mistake? I am still skittish after what my TA told me. I really do prefer the Tampa airport and port, and, I always thought cruises out of the Gulf were smoother than leaving out of the east coast of FL. I know there is no Fish/Chips on the Legend, what about Asian? Is there a deli w/hot pastrami/cornbeef? Thanks so much for all your responses, it just goes to show that TA's aren't always the best source of cruising info!

FrannyK

YES they have the Asian buffet every day and the deli I can taste the cornbeef as i write this (thanks alot there isnt a decent deli in Nashville to get a cornbeef sandwich icon9.gif).Well your T/A has been wrong so far from what you have read here I would get the cabins you want to make your family comfortable.Also im sure the flights from philly into tampa are cheaper then going into miami and the hotel's as well i would use the saving for shure excursions or extented my stay in tampa after the cruise

I'm one of the minority that prefers Conquest-class to Spirit-class. We sailed Legend in 2006, we had a great time, and I'd certainly sail her again - but it just wasn't our favorite. We found there was noticeable vibration in the dining room and even in our cabin on deck 5 (cabin 5254). I found the layout confusing, with lounges spread out along the length of the ship and over several decks. However, we LOVED the aft pool area - the open deck was very nice, and the adult-only pool was a plus (they did enforce the adults-only rule). DH and I could hang out there and still watch our sons at the waterslide a deck above. The aft pool on Conquest-class ships has the Magrodome, so it's enclosed around the sides.

My preferred dining time is 6:15, and that's not available on Spirit-class ships since there's only one dining room.

cruisegal40 - there's a post from Once a Cruiser that details the upgrades on Valor.

Thanks for the info about the Legend. We book April 27 - May 4th for our first Carnival cruise. Its after spring break, so we thought we would be good and from my research the Legend is a more "chilled" ship. Which is why we like Princess

We also booked an aft balcony. We have been on Aft Balconies/suites before on Princess and there is movement but the view IMO is well worth it.

One thing about food, I never pay attention to what people on a board have to say about food. Just because I have been on many cruises where people have wrote reviews and thought the food was horrible and I thought it was good for the same cruise.

Archived