Orient Beach advice

aandb

Taxi's are right off of the pier and fare is posted. Fare was $7.00 per person for 4 people. Plenty of vans so you should have no trouble for 5. Most taxis will ask you when you want to return to the ship and pick you up at the drop point. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Absolutely just take a taxi, why "pay" for an excursion to a beach? When you get there, you can grab a spot in the sand or rent a beach chair for I think $5 for the day. Orient beach is our ALL TIME favorite beach, and our fav place to visit in the caribbean. Have a great day!

We were in Orient Beach this past November. We actually rented a car at one of the stands near the dock. I think it cost us about $40 for the day. On the way to Orient Beach we stopped at the butterfly farm. We spent about 3 hours at the beach paying $12 for a couple of chairs which included a drink. On the way back we stopped in the town of Marigot.

I think renting a car or taking a taxi with another couple will not only be cheaper but you will get more beach time. Orient is a great beach.

DSC02281.jpg

We were in Orient Beach this past November. We actually rented a car at one of the stands near the dock. I think it cost us about $40 for the day. On the way to Orient Beach we stopped at the butterfly farm. We spent about 3 hours at the beach paying $12 for a couple of chairs which included a drink. On the way back we stopped in the town of Marigot.

I think renting a car or taking a taxi with another couple will not only be cheaper but you will get more beach time. Orient is a great beach.

That is a great picture! I have the worst time trying to explain that Orient Beach (the main part) is not filled with a bunch of naked people walking around...lol.

It gets a bad rap for being a "naturalist beach" when only one small part is clothing optional.

I have a question to add to the OP's. For those who do not do the excursion....where do you eat? I have noticed that the price of the excursions include food. The last time we were there it was part of a cruise excursion so we didn't have to look for food. I would rather take a taxi next time.

My advice,

Take a TAXI and save lots of $$$$. There are lots of places to eat at the beach, even a Ben and Jerrys. Just be sure to know the price of what you are ordering. Many of the places charge in Euros and/or US$, but if not negotiated up front, you can get stung. The rate is bad for us US citizens right now.

Just ask in advance what the policy is. We got stung by not having US Dollars and had to use a Credit Card and pay Euro. Ended up costing us $50 (US) for two hamburgers and fries.

My advice, take cash and bargain to get the best deal or if you are a real cheapskate (and I mean that in the most positive of terms) like me, go to Windjammer and pack a lunch before you leave the ship. If you don't mind the extra bag and some ice, go for it.

It is like the others said, a beautiful beach with only very minimal clothing optionals.

Dave

OK, am I the only guy in here that may be going to Orient Beach TO SEE the sites?????

I'm trying to convince my wife that since we're cruising by ourselves, no one will know us there, so let's be a little daring!

Mike

There are plenty of beach bars that serve food. The big five in the middle of the 1.3 mile beach are owned by the same interests and are the most expensive (Bikini, Kakao, Waikiki, etc.)

Our favorite is Baywatch, near Pedros and the Club O rock barrier, American owned and operated by Andy from Joisey, great food, reasonable prices and a friendly owner (not to mention loads of authentic NJ road signs plastered around the building)

2362324020096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

and

2854337730096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

enjoy !

My wife and I did the "St Maarten Sensation" tour (or something like that...) through RCCL. Easily the worst excursion we've ever done...

True enough....we ended up at a beach on Orient Bay......and we could SEE "THE Orient Beach"....it was about 2 miles away!

We were stuck for 2 hours + on a skinny stretch of beach sand with NO ammenities/water sports/massage huts etc......just a shanty of a small restaurant where our "lunch" was served....don't get me going on THAT part of the excursion!

Beach days are best done on your own--don't pay to be ferried there with time limits! Taxis are plentiful and most public areas have facilities. (Read a guide book for more info! You should do that anyway, before you go someplace you've never been!!!!!)

There are plenty of beach bars that serve food. The big five in the middle of the 1.3 mile beach are owned by the same interests and are the most expensive (Bikini, Kakao, Waikiki, etc.)

Our favorite is Baywatch, near Pedros and the Club O rock barrier, American owned and operated by Andy from Joisey, great food, reasonable prices and a friendly owner (not to mention loads of authentic NJ road signs plastered around the building)

enjoy !

LOVED that part of the beach with all the Jersey signs!!! Next time I head to St. Maarten I might have to bring Andy a new one. :D

Went to Orient Beach last year. Got a shared large taxi, very reasonable. If you are not into nudity, after arriving, just walk straight to the beach. There are chairs, umbrellas, etc. to rent. The nude beach is far right as you face the water. We were there several house, never saw any nudity. Being we are from NJ, must look up Baywatch when we go there in Feb. Didnt see it last time we were there. Wonderful water, sand, and a great beach day.

OK, am I the only guy in here that may be going to Orient Beach TO SEE the sites?????

I'm trying to convince my wife that since we're cruising by ourselves, no one will know us there, so let's be a little daring!

Mike

Public beach=cameras=internet= OMG isn't that Mike and his DW.:)

Love this thread - we'll definitely take a taxi next time too - and thanks for the recommendation on Baywatch - we'll have to check that out! The last time we were starving as soon as got there since we came from the rope/zip course and paid more then we should have for food (but it was good!) especially given the exchange rate since they charged in euros I think.

OK Here is my question. how did you get a picture this big posted in CC. I can only get one about 4x5 to post. What is your secret.

Thanks

Dave

To be honest I'm not sure. I downloaded my original to Photobucket and then pasted it to my Cruise Critic response. I didn't think it would come out that big.

As far as the nudity - it is on the right hand side of the beach as you come in from the taxis/parking lot. However some people who are perhaps exhibitionists or want to make a statement do wander in to the area where clothing is more the norm. If you have children and/or are uncomfortable with nudity you may want to park yourselves as far away from the nude section as possible.

To be honest I'm not sure. I downloaded my original to Photobucket and then pasted it to my Cruise Critic response. I didn't think it would come out that big.

As far as the nudity - it is on the right hand side of the beach as you come in from the taxis/parking lot. However some people who are perhaps exhibitionists or want to make a statement do wander in to the area where clothing is more the norm. If you have children and/or are uncomfortable with nudity you may want to park yourselves as far away from the nude section as possible.

EEtonaee, I am from North Van too! Where do you live? I am in Lynn Valley.;)

In almost all cases, this is untrue! Until recently, people staying at Club Orient (that's the completely clothing-optional resort--NOT a nude resort) often simply strolled the beach to enjoy strolling the beach. Most confined their primary strolling to early and later in the day. Recently, more restrictions have been in force to allow full nudity only at the Club Orient end of the beach. Partly this is to comply with the "delicate sensibilities" of some cruise pax, some of whom seem to think that it's perfectly fine to insist that another country change its perfectly reasonable customs to suit them. (You know they'd be up in arms if visitors to their country tried to change any of their customs.)

A few general thoughts (not directed at anyone in particluar): Orient Beach does not have a "bad rap" as a naturalist beach. It's a perfectly wonderful beach that thousands of visitors love. The "bad rap" is only in the minds of those who think that the perfectly normal French beach customs are wrong, bad, immoral, or what have you. If you are offended by these customs, don't go to the beach.

At the far right end of the beach (facing the water), you find Club Orient. That is where almost all of the full nudity is. However, in the French custom, all parts of Orient Beach (and in fact, all parts of all beaches on the French side) allow topless female sunbathing. If this much nudity bothers you (and it's perfectly fine if you prefer not to see any toplessness--you just don't get to determine that others shouldn't have the option of being topless on a topless beach), then you are best served by visiting a beach on the Dutch side. (However, there are a couple of Dutch side beaches where you will see toplessness and/or nudity.)

Orient is a fabulous beach with all kinds of options for food, drink, activities (or doing nothing at all), swimming, and relaxing. Pay attention to the info from the The Big Booper (Hi Booper!) because he knows what's what on Orient.:D

beachchick

When we went to Orient Beach, only 5% of the people were clothing optional if you get my drift. Not a real big deal. The one word of caution I do have for you is to watch your bags. When we were there, someone had their bag lifted by a local boy. The authorities were alerted and they ended up catching him and recovered the bag. Just be smart and watch your surroundings. It is a very safe place, but things can happen anywhere at anytime!

Anyone ever go around the corner (after Club Orient) to Le Galleon Beach? I'm having a hard time finding much information on it. I did get an internet coupon, and there is a restaurant there. It is supposed to be on an inlet and very calm waters, great for kids and windsurfing? Any info would be appreciated.

Archived