Coffee question

Riviera Deck Randy

The coffee is nothing to write home about. I really don't think I would risk a hernia by hauling my Swiss coffee machine onboard, but perhaps a hint to the cruiseline might be in order. There is no excuse, in my opinion, why they can't serve some of the superior brands of Caribbean coffees that are so readily available. I'd think that the local economies would benefit and we would all be happy customers.

I am sailing on princess for the first time in oct.I am a coffee drinker.I knew from reading these boards to go buy a coffee maker.I bought a black and decker four cup coffee maker at walmart for under ten dollars :) . I also need half and half or cream.is there a refridge in the balcony cabins,and can I bring half and half on board.

I am sailing on princess for the first time in oct.I am a coffee drinker.I knew from reading these boards to go buy a coffee maker.I bought a black and decker four cup coffee maker at walmart for under ten dollars :) . I also need half and half or cream.is there a refridge in the balcony cabins,and can I bring half and half on board.

There is a fridge in the cabins. You should be able to bring H&H onboard...I don't because we fly in a day or two ahead and I have no way to keep it cold.

I've purchased a travel coffee press from Starbucks to take with me for a cruise at the end of Oct (San Juan). It's a stainless steel insulated coffee tumbler (20oz) with a built-in coffee press. A neat idea and packing it should be not problem! I understand there's a Starbucks in the Condado area (since we're arriving a day early) where I will be purchasing the special grind coffee there. While on the ship, I plan on requesting a pot of hot water through room service, press my own coffee, and enjoy it on our balcony.

Ecritore and Esther -

No to push the point, but it seems the charges are applied "sometimes". I've also read that they charge for capuccino in the dining room, but on the Coral in April and the Dawn last November, I had one every evening and was never charged. Could be that by the time I'm having my coffee, the waitstaff is busy getting ready for the next wave of diners and just can't be bothered writing up a payslip. In any case, it was far better than the regular coffee.

Can someone explain the concept of a coffee press? This travel mug/coffee press described above at Starbucks sounds like just the ticket, but I'm not sure I get the picture of how it works. Do I only need one of these to make two separate cups of coffee for me and DH, assuming I have a second empty cup in the room? What type of coffee does it use? Is there a disposable filter? Duh?

Randy - If the coffee on the Rhapsody is horrible, dh and I will be joining y'all for coffee :). Thankfully, we rarely notice a bad cup of coffee, and like Chris, think the gas station coffee is fine, LOL. We are BIG coffee drinkers.

See you in a few weeks, Randy.

Marie

Well, as most of you here know, this posting is right up my alley.

I did make a comment on the card - the only negative.

As my dear departed Aunt Susie used to say

"who dropped their dirty socks in the coffee pot?"

That is what is tastes like to me. :D

Will be taking my own coffeemaker this time :) and hope there is a place just before we leave the hotel to pick up some light cream or half & half and some ice. :)

I say we all go on strike against the cruise lines coffee :D

Well, DH & I are the only people we know who absolutely loathe Starbucks coffee, so I guess we have no taste. I think the coffee is fine, and they always have whole milk to put in it, at least they did on Star & Diamond. If not, I just grab a carton from the Horizon Court. I save those extra 5 calories from not using 1/2 & 1/2 for dessert.:D

Can someone explain the concept of a coffee press? This travel mug/coffee press described above at Starbucks sounds like just the ticket, but I'm not sure I get the picture of how it works. Do I only need one of these to make two separate cups of coffee for me and DH, assuming I have a second empty cup in the room? What type of coffee does it use? Is there a disposable filter? Duh?

Hi bjboothman-

This particular travel coffee press is an insulated tumbler. There's a separate long skinny cylinder with a round fine mesh disk attached at the bottom end that fits inside this tumbler. The disk is flat and has silicone around the edge (to move up and down inside the tumbler). This coffee press gizmo cylinder is attached to the screw on top (sipper). The idea is to put your coffee grinds into the cup and pour in the hot water. Then you screw on the top/press into the tumbler and press (cylinder with mesh disk) into the tumbler and press the coffee down to the bottom. The fine mesh keeps the grinds from floating to the top.

When you go to Starbucks or any specialized coffee house...ask them to grind the coffee for use with a coffee press.

You do not need any filters for this travel press.

I would suggest buying one travel press...can easily pour out the coffee into another cup and then make another cup for yourself. Hope this description helps you.

It's called the Barista Travel Press. There's two versions: one with a handle and one without. I decided to buy it local in VA and then pick up the coffee near the ship. Can't wait for my cruise!

To the OP, you are correct RCI has the best coffee of any cruise line I have been on. Most cruise lines use a syrup that comes in a can and it is mixed with hot water to make "coffee".

I have found that the coffee on Princess is only drinkable if you get it from one of the bars where they actually brew real coffee grounds. I started every morning on all my Princess cruises with a few cups in LaPastarie (sp) and it was great.

Stan

Hi bjboothman-

This particular travel coffee press is an insulated tumbler. There's a separate long skinny cylinder with a round fine mesh disk attached at the bottom end that fits inside this tumbler. The disk is flat and has silicone around the edge (to move up and down inside the tumbler). This coffee press gizmo cylinder is attached to the screw on top (sipper). The idea is to put your coffee grinds into the cup and pour in the hot water. Then you screw on the top/press into the tumbler and press (cylinder with mesh disk) into the tumbler and press the coffee down to the bottom. The fine mesh keeps the grinds from floating to the top.

When you go to Starbucks or any specialized coffee house...ask them to grind the coffee for use with a coffee press.

You do not need any filters for this travel press.

I would suggest buying one travel press...can easily pour out the coffee into another cup and then make another cup for yourself. Hope this description helps you.

It's called the Barista Travel Press. There's two versions: one with a handle and one without. I decided to buy it local in VA and then pick up the coffee near the ship. Can't wait for my cruise!

This sounds like a great idea. How many ounces is it? It was not available when I bought my stainless steel French Press. If you're interested in the French Press, I got mine, a few years ago, through Chef's catalog. The French Press I bought, geez, I'd have to unpack it and see how much liquid it holds, but if I'm remembering correctly, I was able to fill four cups of coffee in it.

This sounds like a great idea. How many ounces is it? It was not available when I bought my stainless steel French Press. If you're interested in the French Press, I got mine, a few years ago, through Chef's catalog. The French Press I bought, geez, I'd have to unpack it and see how much liquid it holds, but if I'm remembering correctly, I was able to fill four cups of coffee in it.

Hi Miriam,

The travel press holds about 20 ounces of coffee (I read somewhere). I love the Chef's catalog. I'll have to check out their French Press. Thanks for the information.

I have a question...am I allowed to post the link to Starbuck's site for the coffee presses? Or is that a no-no?

Stevesan, that is a good idea. But wouldn't it be great to have a nice cup of coffee before you leave your room. :)

So how does everyone get the hot water. I was thinking of using the water that it in the cabin when you arrive?

critterchick - I'm with you on the Starbucks, don't like it either. Just a Dunkin Donuts type gal here :) Cream - no sugar.....:D

I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet, but here's the trick to the "bad" coffee. We would have a pot delivered to have on the balcony in the morning. The trick is to fill your cup, about half-way up with RUM CREAM (or your other fav additive), and a splash of coffee! They ya go! Perfect way to see the new port, and start the day.:p

Archived