Bringing Fish back onboard

Hokiefan01

I know this is a offbeat question and wasn't possible before. But I plan to do a deep sea fishing charter in Cozumel. Will NCL allow you to bring the fillet catch onboard. I know that you will not be able to bring it back into the US, but we may have some tuna and will want to eat it. Has anyone done this before? Don't really want to leave a good catch to the captain and crew to eat would like to partake in the bounty.

I know this is a offbeat question and wasn't possible before. But I plan to do a deep sea fishing charter in Cozumel. Will NCL allow you to bring the fillet catch onboard. I know that you will not be able to bring it back into the US, but we may have some tuna and will want to eat it. Has anyone done this before? Don't really want to leave a good catch to the captain and crew to eat would like to partake in the bounty.

I would not count on bringing fish on board.

That is what I thought would be the case. The last time I did this in Barbados the catch was considered the boats, but this charter said you can take it back. But I wasn't sure if they would allow that on NCL. Worth a shot at least, maybe if we get a early catch we have sushi on the boat.

But if you are lucky like us, we caught 2 Sailfish when we were on our cruise when we were in Acapulco. They cut off the beaks ( the bills) of the fish and we were able to take them on board. They are about 18-20" long. They gave the fish to the locals. Sailfish isn't the best too eat as are other fishe out there. Good Luck on fishing....:)

You can't eat it, or store it, and it would stink up you cabin to high heavens. Why would you want to bring it on?

Usually, fish caught on the deep sea excursions is the property of the boat crew, even if you catch it and paid good money to do so. They won't let you have it.

Aren't you able to catch and release? I'm sorry but I think trying to bring a dead fish on board until you are ready for someone else to cook it for you is, well, gross and inconsiderate. They have fishing excursion vacations that have nothing to do with cruising. Maybe you should separate the two.

I am curious how you are going to cook them aboard the ship. Or were you going to spend up to a week or more with dead fish stinking up your cabin? Leave the fish behind. I enjoy fishing, all the fun is catching them, not cleaning or cooking them

just hide em in your carry on or I assume you will have it in a cooler with ice....its not booze....

most charter boats sell what is caught to make extra money.....

What a bizzarre and irresponsible statement. Bringing fish, chicken, meat and fruit on to the ship contravenes USPH regulations and can result in heavy fines if caught. Also, would you like to be the guest in the same cabin the following cruise?

What a bizzarre and irresponsible statement. Bringing fish, chicken, meat and fruit on to the ship contravenes USPH regulations and can result in heavy fines if caught. Also, would you like to be the guest in the same cabin the following cruise?

? not if you aren't going to bring it into the US. Raw tuna is consumed and I assume they will finish it before it smells.....fish and company smell after three days....

Really I have brought fruit aboard at many ports. You really have no idea what you are talking about. The cruise company can cook it too if they want.

The rule is about taking fruit OFF the ship

just so you are clear. The USPH doesn't set any rules on bringing fish back in to the US. All this is done by the US Department of Agriculture. The entire USPH program on the ships is voluntary. The cruise companies do submit and pay for it because it frankly helps them when an outbreak occurs. The USPH can bar a ship for health reasons if there is an outbreak. The rules about fish have to do with the cruise line serving to guests food that comes from certified sources. In order to sell fish in the US that is imported it must be caught and maintained at temperatures set by the USDA. These rules are pretty strict but it has to do with the public sale of the fish. Sports fisherman can and do bring in fish for their own use that is not subject to any rules(except rules about protected species) most rules concerning what you can and can't catch are local not federal.

Because of these rules must cruise lines won't cook them for you cause they don't want them in their kitchen but some will.

As for fruit and meats again these are USDA rules not USPH ones. They do restrict the cruise line or individuals bringing back into the US certain fruits and unprocessed meats. But it doesn't prevent you from bringing aboard fruits or meats in a foreign country.

Now the cruise line may have such a rule for its own purposes but as one who has brought back fruits and meats on a cruise ship(and declared them) its really not as big an issue as you make out.

Some states(notably California and Hawaii) have strict rules about fruit- which should be obeyed.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/agri_prod_inus.xml

fish is on the permitted list

BTW I don't think this is a great idea anyway and as for fish in my cabin before more me, I would prefer the cabin was empty...

? not if you aren't going to bring it into the US. Raw tuna is consumed and I assume they will finish it before it smells.....fish and company smell after three days....

Really I have brought fruit aboard at many ports. You really have no idea what you are talking about. The cruise company can cook it too if they want.

The rule is about taking fruit OFF the ship

Believe me, i do know what i'm talking about, you are not allowed to bring raw fish onto an NCL ship.

Didnt mean to start such a heated thread, sounds like the alcohol onboard.

But to address some of the questions, sport fishing is a hobby of mine and if I am anywhere where the fishing is good I am going to do it. For me to do this at home I have to drive 6 hours and then pay huge dollars to do it out of the states. So this is the best oppurtunity and why wouldnt i do it since I am on vacation and I want to have fun. Yes some charters state the catch is property of the captain/boat so I understand that going in. Now this is long but here is what is from the charter company:

Q: CAN I BRING THE FISH BACK TO THE STATES WITH ME?

A: Yes, as long as it's well-frozen and in a leak-proof container (if you're on a cruise ship check with the ship directly - they may have their own rules) and isn't on the FDA's Import Alerts List. The amount you can bring back will only be subject to the airline restrictions - check with your airline for complete baggage information to see how much it will cost you to bring it back with you. For more information about the customs rules regarding seafood imports into the U.S., click here and here. We pack it in ice for you like you'd get at a supermarket, but we don't provide packing and shipping services. If you will want to bring fish back with you, call the U.S. Food and Drug Administration at (301) 436-1576, and the cruise line or your airline to make sure you are fully informed of all regulations regarding, cost, duties, and limits.

So this is why I posed the questions, and if you keep it on ice in the fridge frozen etc, I dont see the stink problem you all are talking about. Fish starts to smell when it goes bad not when stored properly. Now this would be easier on a NCL ship because there are refrigerators in the cabins, and can get ice from the steward.

All that being said it seems to be a consensus on this board as a bad idea, and I think it will be difficult to complete. But I was just inquiring in this thread if anyone has done it and got the catch cooked onboard, but I guess the answer is no.

I don't know if you will have the time but either with the same tour company or a separate one have them pick you up and take you to a beach and have an outdoor picnic on grilled fish you caught. There are tours like this where the locals will get lobster and cook it on the beach for you so I would think you could arrange something - maybe with the fishing tour. It would be a great ending to a day fishing. Debbie

Instead of everyone "debating" whether or not this is allowed, the OP should contact NCL customer service for further info. I think the point of this thread was to ask if anyone had ever done it in the past - not what we "think" is allowed.

To the original poster I:

1. Strongly suggest that you call NCL and ask them - you may not always get the right answer, but, it is worth a try.

2. Try to speak to the Food and Beverage Director while you are onboard and maybe they can give you some further insight. (Maybe they could come up with some storage options so you won't have to keep it in your cabin fridge).

3. If they do allow you to bring it onboard to your cabin, please bring a box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda for the fridge to absorb any odor that there may be.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I see you now limit this to raw fish. Can you please state the basis for your knowledge?

I didn't think you could catch pre cooked fish:D Sorry, i'm not going to divulge the basis for my knowledge on this board;)

Instead of everyone "debating" whether or not this is allowed, the OP should contact NCL customer service for further info. I think the point of this thread was to ask if anyone had ever done it in the past - not what we "think" is allowed.

To the original poster I:

1. Strongly suggest that you call NCL and ask them - you may not always get the right answer, but, it is worth a try.

2. Try to speak to the Food and Beverage Director while you are onboard and maybe they can give you some further insight. (Maybe they could come up with some storage options so you won't have to keep it in your cabin fridge).

3. If they do allow you to bring it onboard to your cabin, please bring a box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda for the fridge to absorb any odor that there may be.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

If you call NCL customer service they will tell you you can't bring soda and water on the ship. We mostly know from experience that isn't true. I would wait until you get on board and talk with either the Food and Beverage director or the Hotel director.

And as for not telling us how you know, that normally means you don't.

My point about the raw fish is you abandoned the fruit issue quickly.

The only way I see possible is if the OP contacted a food services supervisor, and obtained advanced permission for fish to be brought on to be taken directly to the kitchen.

I do not think they would allow this, since most food has to be prepared in very large quantities, and even the best fishing outing would not bring back enough to make it worth the bother.

I don't see them lending you freezer space either, but it does not hurt to ask. The reason may be "what if everyone wanted to use the freezer?" If they do it for you, how can they not offer this service to everyone? Just ask before you show up at the gangway with your catch.

If you call NCL customer service they will tell you you can't bring soda and water on the ship. We mostly know from experience that isn't true. I would wait until you get on board and talk with either the Food and Beverage director or the Hotel director.

And as for not telling us how you know, that normally means you don't.

My point about the raw fish is you abandoned the fruit issue quickly.

So now you have changed from sneaking it on in a bag to asking the F & B Director or HD???

As i said, i do know but cant say how on this board and as for the fruit, you cant bring that on an NCL ship either.:D

When on the Sun two weeks ago, we did a fishing trip, and unfortunately, caught no fish. When mentioning this to our butler, he said, "It's just as well. You couldn't bring the fish back onboard anyway." That being said, if I caught some decent sashimi fish, you know darn well I would bring a piece back to the cabin with me for an appetizer (and I would find a sashimi knife somewhere :D)! I would also speak to a maitre'd at the main restaurant and at least one of the specialties BEFORE my excursion to see if there would be any way to have them prepare a few pieces for my family during dinner if I supplied it. I would bring extra baggies and ice along on the fishing trip, and tip the crew to fillet for me if ANY of this was plausible. By calling NCL ahead of time, you will probably get mixed answers or a standard "No" because they don't know the answer. Ask onboard!

Robin

For goodness sake I hope they dont let someone bring back raw fish on to the ship. I dont want to be near that cabin. And sorry but fresh fish does stink. It is a matter of opinion and that one is mine.

Geez. I cannot imagine putting a raw fish in the fridge of your cabin when you know someone else will be using it on the next cruise. Pretty selfish if you ask me.

YUK

:mad:

With all of the magnificent food on board, including fresh seafood, someone is really going to have the nerve to bring some fish they caught back on board and ask NCL to cook it for them?

GET REAL PEOPLE.

That is just plain stupid.

I am in agreement with another poster...you should just plan a charter fishing trip and eat all of the fish that you catch and leave cruising to the rest of us.

I don't really care for all the bickering going on from others who tried to reply to you, but....

HOW COOL WOULD IT BE TO CATCH YOUR FISH EARLY ENOUGH IN THE DAY TO BE ABLE TO BRING IT TO SHORE AND ENJOY IT WHILE LYING BY THE BEACH?!?! YUM! :D

Fun Story:

We got lucky and landed two giant marlins (5 and 7 feet long!) while fishing in Acapulco a few years ago.

I really didn't care to pay up to 2K EACH to have them stuffed and shipped back home to hang on my wall, so it was a great surprise when the captain of the charter called the place we were staying and next thing I know, they are strapping these two huge fish to the roof of a taxi and we were taking them back to the resort.

We were the guests of honor at the dinner that night and you guessed it - the main course was our "Catch of the day!"

It's an experience I'll never forget!

Archived