Cabin "Upgrade"(??) to Facing forward

John in Cicero

Hi. We're relatively new to cruising. We're going on the Royal Princess' Amazon cruise in mid February. We just got upgraded (BB to BA) to Cabin 6000, which has a balcony that is forward facing, on the deck immediately above the Cabaret Lounge. Two questions: is the balcony going to be useable, due to the winds while moving, and is the noise going to be too much from the dance floor immediately below? We like to use the balcony while at sea (or river, I guess), and we go to bed fairly early, even on cruises.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Hi. We're relatively new to cruising. We're going on the Royal Princess' Amazon cruise in mid February. We just got upgraded (BB to BA) to Cabin 6000, which has a balcony that is forward facing, on the deck immediately above the Cabaret Lounge. Two questions: is the balcony going to be useable, due to the winds while moving, and is the noise going to be too much from the dance floor immediately below? We like to use the balcony while at sea (or river, I guess), and we go to bed fairly early, even on cruises.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

The wind is a big issue so check out some more comments before you book that area. :)

After the reports I have read from these front facing balconys on this class of ship, I would be hard pressed to accept this stateroom, if there is any choice in the matter. As said, the wind will probably be an issue when out to sea.

Also, if you retire early, that also might be a problem as the shows usually go on until about 11:00 or so (if I am not mistaken). So, the noise problem might also be an issue for you if you like to get to bed earlier than that.

Aside from the noise and wind issues mentioned, when you hit the open sea and perhaps pitching seas, you will have more motion there.

Also, there have been complaints of thruster vibration and noise in the R-class vessels' forward cabins when docking, and anchor chain noise when anchoring.

Sin-in-law and hubby were in 6004 when we did the Baltic on Oceania's Regatta, and said the thruster noise/vibration was pretty bad!

We were on the Royal for 24 days in Nov/Dec, and our tablemates were in the 6003 Suite. They never mentioned or complained about either the noise or the wind, and I know that they used their balcony extensively.....and we had many, many sea days.

The Cabaret Lounge is not a loud area, and the shows to not last long or late. I doubt you will be bothered by it.

Personally I found the floors on level 6 to be fairly thin. I was right above the dining room, and someone apparently liked to play loud music late at night that was pretty noticeable. I happened to be in the room when they did the baked alaska thing on the last night for the late seating of dinner and could listen to them do their announcement for that (along with the music).

The usability of the forward facing baloncy will be dependent on the wind direction. If sailing 20 knots north into a 15 knot southerly wind will result in a 35 knot wind in your face. If sailing south into that same wind it will be like a gentle breeze. So sometimes it will be fine out there and other times not. ;)

Archived