Absolute, Completely Obstructed View

Lynda90

Have booked E606 on the Ruby. It's view is completely obstructed. Will I have any light coming through. Will I be able to see anything other than a lifeboat? Not very excited about the cabin, but going solo on this one and I'm trying to conserve as much as I can. Thanks!

Have booked E606 on the Ruby. It's view is completely obstructed. Will I have any light coming through. Will I be able to see anything other than a lifeboat? Not very excited about the cabin, but going solo on this one and I'm trying to conserve as much as I can. Thanks!

Yes there will be light but an obstruction of some kind. Could be a lifeboat or equipment. :)

Lynda, here is what I think about the totally obstructed views: You know when you are in the pizza restuarants on the Sun class ships and the windows look onto the life boats? Well, that's the view you are going to have. If you can live with that fine. In my opinion, if you can save $, I'd go with an inside (if you're not c. phobic). Otherwise I'd try to get a partially obstructed view. The deck plans on the website are pretty accurate...good luck!!!

We were on the Crown in E606 and assuming the Crown, Emerald and Ruby are the same on the decks, E606 had the life boat right in front of the window. On a good note, the lifeboat entry was in the middle of the window so you could look though the left and right side entry and sometimes be able to see through them.

Also on our cruise, this way the lifeboat they used for tendering so a few days we had a great view.

Have fun.

We were upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view and will definately opt for the inside room in the future. We had alot of noise, especially early in the morning and many times there were men working in the life boat right by our window. We left the curtain open for the light and forgot there were men out there on several occasions. Oppps!

We were upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view and will definately opt for the inside room in the future. We had alot of noise, especially early in the morning and many times there were men working in the life boat right by our window. We left the curtain open for the light and forgot there were men out there on several occasions. Oppps!

Yikes, never thought about the potential noise.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Think I will try to go for an unobstructed view. Last time I booked an obstructed view, I got upgraded to a balcony at the last minute. Didn't know about it until I got to the pier. With this cruise, since it's the inaugural, I know I won't have that luck as the ship is quickly filling up.

Some of the obstructed cabins are a good deal. If the price is only slightlly higher remember this will be partially offset by a higher on board credit if you are using a Future cruise booking as you are now in an outside cabin.

To me any natural light coming in is a big plus over a true inside cabin. The ship diagrams are pretty accurate, see if you can get a partial obstruction.

Even if its totally obstructed, as long as there is a window, you will have some light.

I posted a photo here of the view we had in E309 on the Emerald Princess. From the deck plans, it looks obstructed--with a lifeboat right in front of the window. But in reality, we had a great view looking out over the lifeboat.

One good thing about getting an obstructed view is that it counts as an outside cabin if you're getting an onboard credit for having put down a deposit on a previous cruise. We were once able to switch from an inside cabin to an obstructed view cabin that was priced the same. We ended up with double the onboard credit because of this, effectively making it cheaper than the inside cabin.

I just called my TA and changed to an outside cabin with a view. Price was not too much different. Am happier with that decision. It's funny because on the Princess website it shows my new category as waitlisted but my TA got me a cabin in that category. Maybe she had some reserved.

I just called my TA and changed to an outside cabin with a view. Price was not too much different. Am happier with that decision. It's funny because on the Princess website it shows my new category as waitlisted but my TA got me a cabin in that category. Maybe she had some reserved.

Lynda - I knew you had the Ruby booked but didn't know you had the innaugural booked! How fun!

When agents get group space, they are guaranteed x amount of cabins in certain categories. So yes, agencies are holding a specific number of cabins in certain categories while other agencies who do not have group space (or may have group space but not in that category) do not have access to them if the rest of the cabins are sold out. Eventually, the agents have to release their allotment of cabins that they have not sold. The time frame on this varies depending on how quickly the ship is selling out. This explains why sometimes Princess shows all balcony cabins waitlisted but agencies with group space often have balconies to sell.

I agree with DougH here. The cost factor to move up from inside to outside may be offset by the increase in shipboard credit on future cruise deposits. It helps to have natural light IMO.

Glad you got what you wanted!

Lynda - I knew you had the Ruby booked but didn't know you had the innaugural booked! How fun!

When agents get group space, they are guaranteed x amount of cabins in certain categories. So yes, agencies are holding a specific number of cabins in certain categories while other agencies who do not have group space (or may have group space but not in that category) do not have access to them if the rest of the cabins are sold out. Eventually, the agents have to release their allotment of cabins that they have not sold. The time frame on this varies depending on how quickly the ship is selling out. This explains why sometimes Princess shows all balcony cabins waitlisted but agencies with group space often have balconies to sell.

I agree with DougH here. The cost factor to move up from inside to outside may be offset by the increase in shipboard credit on future cruise deposits. It helps to have natural light IMO.

Glad you got what you wanted!

Thanks, Coral! I'm greatly looking forward to the inaugural cruise and very happy that "our" ta had group space available!:p

Archived