Paul Gauguin in June for my Honeymoon starting to go cross eyed over details

efiguero

:confused: :confused: :confused: Here is the scoop, my fiancé and I have been planning this trip for about two years now (Saving up for it as well for the same length of time.). She is the one that actually has done the majority of the planning. She picked out the destination, and the cruise. After we had settled on the Cruise, we noticed that some of the cruise dates had options which included going to Australia. So when we booked our cruise, none of those options had come about. When they did, our cruise was not one that offered that options. So we had our Travel agent, work out a why for us to go to Australia. Anyhow, we are 6 months away and are trying to finish all the small details. Our travel agent which has been very pleasant and a somewhat helpful does not seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed. So now that things are almost finalize, I have been going over it all and reading reviews and am getting a little worried that we will miss something or make the wrong decision on something. We are spending a bunch on this trip and want to make sure we do it right. So I am hoping you guys might be able to give us some pointers or help ups make the more informed decision.

At the moment, these are the details that are causing us grief:

1. Airlines? Since we are doing the whole Australia thing, **** Tours booked everything through Quantas Airlines. So when I read all the bad stuff about Air Tahiti I thought we were safe. Well I guess I was wrong, looking at the itinerary it says Quanta, operated by Air Tahiti. We are booked for economy seats, due to our budget. What sort of price jump do you think we are looking at if we want to upgrade to a better class, or should we not even bother? This will be the first time either one of use has been in a plane longer than 4 hours. Also, I am in 6’1 and 230, so I am not a small guy.

2. Choosing a hotel in Tahiti for 2 nights before the cruise and one night after the cruise. Since we added the Australia portion of our trip, we had to go with another travel carrier instead of Regent for airfare and hotel accommodations for pre and post cruise. We are using **** Tours, via **** Vacations.

So far the options we have been given are (Listed from best to worst based on our opinion from reviews we have read):

a. Le Meridien

b. Radisson Plaza

c. Sheraton Tahiti

We are currently waiting on a quote for the InterContinental and the Hiti Moana Villa as we read good things about them.

What I find puzzling, is that is seems most of the Hotels in Tahiti are mediocre yet extremely pricey. We were expecting the pricey part, but not the mediocre part. What is up with that, isn't this where the rich and famous are supposed to go? :-)

So any suggestions on that part would be great.

3: Excursions during the cruise, we have been told by Regent that the excursions that will be available and the prices will be posted 120 days prior to the date of the cruise. How accurate is this? Should we continue to check weekly to see if something pops up, or do they really pop up on that 120th day? I think I read that they might take longer to pop up, but not shorter than the 120 days. We want to make sure we get them as early as possible to have our picks.

4. Any other details that we should know, you know, ways to save money, small important things that we might not have thought of? Any perks we could be getting since we are on our Honeymoon, who do we need to notify?

We obviously read that the food at most of these Hotels were high priced and not that great. So we were thinking of packing a small carry on size suit case (Obviously we would not carry it on, due to the liquid restrictions) with dry goods, maybe sodas, juices, snacks, also maybe some liquor. Is there anything we should know about in regards to customs, which might be a road block? This will be the first time for us traveling to another country other than Mexico, and the Dominican Republic.

While in Tahiti, we are using “Tekura Tahiti” for our transfers, any word on this company, are they reliable?

We board the ship on the 25th, so we are arriving on Monday the 23rd, which we are assuming should be enough time incase of delays.

Again if there are any suggestions or recommendations, please let me know. Also, if I need to give further details to help with suggestions let me know. This post was getting pretty lengthy so I tried to keep it as short as I could, which really did not happen. Thank you to all that will take the time to read this and help us!:confused: :confused:

Wow, lots of great questions. What a wonderful time you will have.

I think the Tahiti hotels are mediocre because it's a jumping-off point for the other islands. Only one I've stayed in is the Radisson, and it's fine, quite nice. I'm not sure I agree that Le Meridien is #1 on that list--we spent an afternoon there and I wasn't terribly impressed.

Yes, the excursions really do come up 120 days prior, but if you look at cruises that are sooner, you can see pricing--the pricing won't change, although the specific excursions offered might vary.

I guess the idea of snacks is a good one, since everything is so expensive. Don't overdo it, once you get on the ship you won't need a thing.

I suspect the premium paid for Business Class would be pretty steep--you can try getting to the checkin counter very early and hoping to cadge bargain upgrades--I hear they are sometimes available. I am one who doesn't think ATN is that bad at all, but I'm 5'5" and 160 pounds, so I can't really comment.

Well we know how you feel as we have been doing this for about a year however we have been travelling for some time. So here is what we have found. TAs are good and bad...its the luck of the draw. However IF you join American Platinum you can get a 2 for 1 International Business Class (worth the 450 for the card). As well you get a host of benefits including cruise credit, special tours etc. We are staying at the Intercontinental Tahiti for three nights prior to our cruise. We too depart for our crusie on the 25th but we are leaving from Tahiti not Australia. Based on the myriad of reviews (hundreds I have read) the Intercontinental was by far better than the rest as far as Tahiti mainland goes...I won't even get into the other islands. My fiancee wanted to stay in an overthewater bungalow, which was hard to do from a cruise ship so we are staying in one at the IC. They rank in order as follows: Motu OWB cheaper and smaller, Lagoon OWB much bigger and more expensive and deeper water, Motu OWB Villa Largest and most expensive but is exactly like the Thalasso OWBs. We have also read that the Panaramic rooms are wonderful. Food is very expensive no matter where you go...so this is a wash. As for excursions we are doing our own thing on the island as we are scuba divers. If you like snorkeling then IC is the way to go as they have a lagoonarium and the snorkeling off the motu OWBs is supposed to be good. But remember this is a stop over so you have to make the best of it. IC has an infinity pool with a swim up bar and a and bottom pool. So for us it was everything we needed to get acclimated from the states. We are even staying in LA for a couple of days before we head to Tahiti. We are NOT flying Tahiti Nui as we heard the same as you did so we are flying Air France Business from LA. We also heard Air New Zealand is the best option if possible. Well I think that answers everything as best as I can. Hope it helps and if you have more questions then pplease let us know...good luck and maybe we'll run into you at the IC if you stay there as we will be there during the same time!

A couple of thoughts. Have you investigated hotel packages through Regent? Tahiti is one place where Regent's pre- and post-cruise packages are reasonable just as their air package is. We had a very reasonable package pre-cruise at the Radisson and thought the hotel was very nice, if not terribly convenient--nice beach, beautiful pool. Food was not cheap, but not outrageous. Practically no land-based food and service will be as good as on the PG. Regarding flights, I agree with Wendy that ATN is not that bad. If it is absolutely full, it won't be great in coach, but sometimes you can spread out a little. Also, it is sometimes possible to upgrade to Business Class at LAX for less than $700 pp, but that is by no means a sure thing. With regard to the Platinum AMX card, I have one, and most who do, are not enthusiastic about the 2-for-1 Business Class Air program because the fares used are the absolute maximum Business Class fares. So even though you get a second ticket "free" (except for taxes, etc.), the first ticket is very expensive.

I didn't think ATN was bad--I've been on a lot worse. An upgrade can be bought at the airport IF there is space available. A big IF. Otherwise flying Business Class will be very expensive. I got our tickets with FF miles, but you have to do that a year in advance and you have to have the miles, so probably not an option for you.

As far as hotels in Tahiti, we stayed at the Sheraton the night before the cruise, and it was fine--comparable to a Sheraton or Hilton in the US. Our room have just been renovated and was very nice--wonderful beds and bathroom and the AC worked great. The grounds aren't that great and there is no beach, but it is actually within walking distance of downtown (wouldn't do it at night but in day it was fine).

We stayed in an OWB at the Intercontinental postcruise. It was VERY nice but VERY expensive. One of those one time only things. Their regular rooms looked fine, and the grounds are nice.

Food at the resorts is very expensive, but we walked downtown when we were at the Sheraton and ate at a local restaurant that was excellent and priced no differently than what I have encountered in Hawaii. Also you can get fruit and veges (grown on the island) very inexpensively at the Market downtown. We also bought some bottled water, baguette of bread and wine at a little store--prices weren't bad. I woudln't bother with bringing snacks, etc. More trouble than it is worth. Just remember anything imported is pricey (except wine which is govt subsidized).

Tour prices will pop up exactly 120 days out--you can easily book online. If you change your mind, it is easy to cancel once you are on the ship.

They will have a ceremony for newlyweds on the ship. They take your picture wrapped in a Tahitian quilt and sing some Tahitian love songs. It sounds a bit cheesy, but was really nice. (We got to go because we were celebrating our anniversary).

I am not sure why, but it seems that travel to and within Tahiti (FP) has been made somewhat mysterious when, in fact, it is pretty simple.

Air - There is a hefty premium for business class - either money or miles. In the end, the quality of the meal or the choices of movies will be overwhelmed by the simple issue, "What flight will get me there the most efficiently." At your size economy seating isn't going to be great on any airline. I would not, however, take a less advantageous flight because airline X supposedly has better in-cabin service in economy.

Hotels - I firmly believe, based upon my experience and the comments of many that the Intercontinental is the best hotel (especially for romance) on Tahiti. If you can swing it, an over the water bungalow is the way to go. (Check out Intercontinental's Ambassador's Club - thanks Wendy for that one! -for some great perks.) No matter what hotel you stay at the food will be expensive and usually marginal at all but their fine dining restaurant. (A quick boat ride to Moorea will give you a bit more romance/exclusiveness, but I was very content with the OWB at the IC...having one out at the end of the pier...especially considering the short length of your stay in Tahiti.)

Transfers - There really is no need for the expense. Taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. If, for example, you stay at the IC it is only a 5 minute ride from the airport. Hotels offer free shuttles into Papeete and, again, taxis are not too bad for the venture or trip to the ship - which is also right downtown Papeete.

Tours - Unless you are a diver, most/almost all of the tours will not be sold out so you have no need to panic.

Tips - One thing I was very pleased with was bringing our own snorkel gear. It eliminated hassles in getting it, not fitting correctly, etc...and you can snorkel at your whim (great at hotels, beaches while on the cruise, etc.) By all means let them know it is your honeymoon as some special things should appear. Also, if you need a post-cruise place to hangout waiting for your late night departure, speak to the hotel you are staying at before you depart. At the IC they made transfer rooms for showers, changing, etc. and luggage storage gratis. Most importantly, don't forget to just sit back and go "WOW". A glass of wine at night on the aft deck looking at Bora Bora is something you will remember far longer than some of the little things that can drive you crazy when preparing for the trip.

It sounds like my dh and I are on the same cruise as you. :p We have traveled alot over the last 10 years and I have come to believe that you make your trip good or bad. It is all about how you react when something does not go as planned.

If you fly in economy don't worry about it, just think about what is ahead. Sometimes a nighttime tylenol or advil helps take the edge off and actually helps you relax a bit.

Don't take a suitcase of food. You will not use it. We have young kids and we have done that before and we wind up giving it to housekeeping. Protein bars or granola bars come in handy.

Concerning the TA. Just check every detail. I have a good one and I still check everything. We are going on our anniversary, and in the detail column in my documents, it states "anniversary". Make sure that hotel, ship etc. know you are on your honeymoon.

Don't stress about you pre-stay. You are only going to have one full day in Tahiti so just relax, and unwind. You have so many options.

There are so many excursions to choose from you should be fine. Even if the boats excursions sell out there are always outside operators that do the same tours for less money. You just need to research and read posts.

Last but not least do not overpack. Lugging around heavy bags can make travel very stressful.

Relax, smile, and understand that things go wrong. If you have not already done it join the roll call for the cruise:)

You guys are all awesome, first off thanks for taking the time to post your comments, really great!

gazuccio: We are actually flying from LAX to Tahiti and then from Tahiti to Australia, and back to LAX from there. We are flying from TX to CA, but that part should be pretty uneventful. Maybe we will run into each other if we stay at the IC, but I am assuming you are doing the PG Cruise, if so we might run into you guys there

drifting_away: You are right sounds like we are on the same cruise, you mentioned roll call. I think I might have stumbled across a roll call for another cruise date. I will do a search for ours and check it out. I agree with your philosophy on you making the trip good our bad, we usually just go with the flow and make the best of things on our trips. So we will do the same, we have just never gone on such an expensive and extensive trip, so we are a little paranoid. I know what you mean about the food bag, we did this on a trip to Disney World and ran into the same issue. We had a bunch of left over food we never touched. However I figure since we will be gone for so long, it might be worth it this time around. Packing light is gonna be hard, we always end up with heavy bags, but we are gonna try this time. With all the different locations we are going to, I don’t want to be lugging a bunch of heavy suit cases everywhere.

I believe my fiancé and our TA checked with Regent originally for the hotel accommodations, but because were adding the Australia thing that caused some issues. So our TA decided to go the other route. I will double check though just to make sure.

We are still waiting to hear back from our Travel agent on the cost for the InterContinental, which will be our choice it we can afford it. If not, it seems regardless of all the reviews we have read, we will choose from the Radisson or the Le Meridian. I understand the Radisson is newer and a little out of the way, and the Le Meridian is older and a little closer. Anyhow, we will figure that out.

As for the flights, well I guess we might just suck it up and stick with what we got. After thinking about it, we leave LAX at 11:40 and arrive in Tahiti the next morning, so I figure we pop a sleeping pill (To help with the uncomfortable seats) and just sleep through the whole thing. I mean in normal circumstances, we would be sleeping at that time anyways, and not eating in the middle of the night (If the food is as bad as they say.). I think I might still get with our TA and see if there are any other options for us.

As for the reason for the bag full of Snacks etc, we wanted to bring that because we are going to be gone for a while when you include the Australia portion. After the cruise we fly over to Sidney and then Cairns for a total of an additional 7 days. The total trip will be from the June 23rd to July 14th, so we figured some packed meals might save us some money some where along the line instead of these $30 breakfasts and $120 dinners at the hotels, and not even sure what we are gonna run into in Australia. I just don't want to bring something and it violates some sort of customs rule, that is are main concern.

We went to the Regent site and checked out the current prices of the excursions to get an idea of what we might want to do. Boy are there a bunch to choose from, we want them all. So we have to go through them and figure out what we want to do the most. I know there are some threads about the excursions and which ones people have enjoyed so we will check them out.

Oh and we read up on our room too, sounds like we got a good one. My Fiance had picked cabin 767 on deck 7 and sounds like it is a pretty large room compared to the others on that level.

Again thanks for the info. I will keep checking if anyone posts any thing else, you can never have enough info.

:)

BTW, Le Meridien and the Radisson are both equally out of the way, with respect to Papeete. The former is a little closer to the airport, that's all.

Eric, it wasn't me who suggested the Intercontinental's Ambassador's Club, must have been Kathy (ChatKat). I actually don't like the ICB (too plastic), but I would imagine the OWB's are great, and they are the only game in town on the island of Tahiti.

BTW, nobody mentions the Sofitel. What's with that? Pictures of it seem kind of plain compared to some of the others, but...

FYI the prices - before any discounts or specials (Check out the Ambassador's Club for a free night and discounts!) is about $262 to $722 from a standard king to an over-the-water bungalow.

Apologies for not being informed, but where would I go to check out the Ambassador's Club? I did a search on the web for it and came across different items, and was not sure what was correct. Is there a fee to join, also would I have needed to be already traveling to accrue some sort of points to be eligible for these discounts?

Here is my e-mail address is you need to send me some instructions that might not be able to be posted. ef1544@att.com

Thanks

That's the link.

BTW you also get upgrades. For me, since I had already booked the best OWB, the front desk not only gave me the free night, they reduced my rate to the next lower category so that I could use my upgrade. To me that is great customer service!

Apologies for not being informed, but where would I go to check out the Ambassador's Club? I did a search on the web for it and came across different items, and was not sure what was correct. Is there a fee to join, also would I have needed to be already traveling to accrue some sort of points to be eligible for these discounts?

Here is my e-mail address is you need to send me some instructions that might not be able to be posted. ef1544@att.com

Thanks

This is part of the Intercontinental Hotels. It sis a step up from the Priority Club!

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/ambassador/becomeambassador.html

Definitely worth looking into.

As for your flights, if you can book early enough take a look at either a bulkhead or exit row seating...this will make things even more bareable.

I guess we will be on the same cruise. I misunderstood so we will see you on the PG. Hope this thread has been helpful!

Well we know how you feel as we have been doing this for about a year however we have been travelling for some time. So here is what we have found. TAs are good and bad...its the luck of the draw.
Actually there are some excellent TA's. What you need to do is research to find the best ones. Some specialize in only 6 star cruises, others in 6 star resorts, some in mass cruises, etc.

efiguero, TA's are good and bad. You should check with yours about consolidator business class fares. We did Boston-SFO-LAX-Auckland-Papeete-LAX-BOS 2 years ago in conjunction with a PG cruise for $5000/pp. This was about 40% of the going rate. BTW I vote for the IC but, be aware that none of the Papeete hotels are very good. All that has been written on this thread about food and prices is true.

How practical is it to stay in Moorea versus Tahiti before the cruise? Is it difficult to get there, and how long does it take from the Airport, then ferry I guess? We get in early morning on the 23rd and leave for the Cruise on the 25th. Read that some people have opted to stay in Moorea instead, so just checking to see how much of a hassle it would be. If it is feasible, what recommendations do you guys have?

Considering the short time you have I would not consider it practical. You will lose hours, and increase hassles, both on your arrival day (having to fly/ferry or private boat to Moorea) and your departure day. That is a pretty big percentage of time. Also, the IC in Tahiti is at least as nice as the one in Moorea (though other options are available) AND there will be the not so insignificant additional costs for the transfers.

Further, you would change the departure day from hanging at the pool, having a leisurely day and a quick taxi to pretty much losing a good bit of quality time.

Finally, you will be be visiting Moorea anyway.

I might think differently if you had 5 or more days, but not for such a short stay.

JMO.

Thanks for the Info Eric, I think your right, however the hotel is no longer an issue. It turns out my Fiancé had secretly booked a Motu Bungalow at the Intercontinental for our first two days (Through Regent):D . My TA was in on it, and was creating interference until my Fiancé decided on telling me. Funny, I guess me being a little paranoid and trying to be over prepared made me spoil her surprise:eek: . She was fine with it though, she is tired for trying to get this trip planned and passed the reins to me. I normally do all the vacation planning, but this time she wanted to do it. She did pretty well if you ask me. Anyhow, it seems the only change we are making would be the hotel stay post cruise which was originally was the Sheraton. We will be changing it to the Intercontinental. Thanks for everyone's help, I think we might be squared way for the moment. Oh, anyone know of which of the bungalows we should try and request? :D

Three things:

1. CHECK THE RATE. You may (probably will) get a better rate not booking it through Regent. This is not a slap at Regent, but I have never found a cruise line rate that wasn't higher than what I could separately book it for. And the transfers are a couple of taxi rides, nothing more (and the taxi possibly will be more convenient!)

2. LOOK into the Ambassador's Club. With a free night being worth over $500 it is a steal!!! You also get an upgrade. SEE POINT 1.

3. Get the OWB furthest out you can and on the right side. The ones close in really are not the same as they are not as private and the water/fish aren't nearly as good. (View toward the left is away from Moorea and toward a more developed part of Tahiti. Not bad at all; just not as good.)

Congrats!

Three things:

1. CHECK THE RATE. You may (probably will) get a better rate not booking it through Regent. This is not a slap at Regent, but I have never found a cruise line rate that wasn't higher than what I could separately book it for. And the transfers are a couple of taxi rides, nothing more (and the taxi possibly will be more convenient!)

2. LOOK into the Ambassador's Club. With a free night being worth over $500 it is a steal!!! You also get an upgrade. SEE POINT 1.

3. Get the OWB furthest out you can and on the right side. The ones close in really are not the same as they are not as private and the water/fish aren't nearly as good. (View toward the left is away from Moorea and toward a more developed part of Tahiti. Not bad at all; just not as good.)

Congrats!

Eric,

DH and I have a precruise stay booked at the IC Moorea. I was considering joining the Ambassador Club for points and upgrades but read on one of these boards that you cannot accrue points at IC when a stay is booked through a TA. I can't remember if the poster was offered an upgrade or not.

Monica

Eric,

DH and I have a precruise stay booked at the IC Moorea. I was considering joining the Ambassador Club for points and upgrades but read on one of these boards that you cannot accrue points at IC when a stay is booked through a TA. I can't remember if the poster was offered an upgrade or not.

Monica

I have never heard of that. I accrue points and the booking engine requests the PC number. Regardless I think the benefits are with it...especially if you are staying in an upper category room/bungalow.

Eric,

So if I keep my current arrangements with Regent for my OWB at the Intercontinental (Two nights, a Monday and Tuesday), and I enroll in this club. What do I need to do then, what should I expect to gain from this? Would I have to of been traveling between now and my trip to accrue some sort of points in order to get a benefit, like an upgrade when I show up at the Hotel in June? If I do need to accrue points by traveling, this will not be an option because I have no plans to go on any trips between now and June. Or am I automatically eligible for these benefits from just being a member and paying the enrollment fee?

Thanks

Archived