Advice on Late May / Early June Weather

GMoney

Hi All - I just booked a NB cruise on Radiance OTS that leaves YVR on 5/23 and gets into Seward on 5/29, as the price was good for a solo traveler. I then plan on spending another week on land.

I need some advice in determining what conditions will be like during that time of the year, so I can make sure this is the right cruise for me. My only experience with Alaska is during the August / Sept timeframe, which I really enjoyed.

I know there are no guarantees, but in general:

> Would I be able to hike in the Skagway and Seward areas?

> Would I be able to see whales in ISP?

> How far might I be able to get back into Denali by 6/2?

I just want to make sure I'm not going myself a disservice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Three of my four Alaska cruises have been in that time frame, because on average that is the driest time of the cruise season. We've been rewarded with very good weather. For your specific questions:

>> Would I be able to hike in the Skagway and Seward areas?

- yes, though you can't get into the high country.

> Would I be able to see whales in ISP?

- yes!

> How far might I be able to get back into Denali by 6/2?

- normally the shuttle buses are running to Fish Creek on June 1

Just checked and yes they are starting June 1st going to Fish Creek/Eielson but the earliest bus is 6:30 and then on the half hour until 11:00 and then on the hour until the last at 2 p.m.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=166638

Susan in Anchorage :)

Susan - Thanks for the link; it's very helpful.

Hi Patrick...I thought I'd answer your question about the date of our trip here instead of the OP's thread as I wanted to ask you a few things too.

We're doing the 14 night Ultimate Alaska on Serenade, May 3-17. It's a really nice itineary but we still won't have the time for a Denali land tour. Maybe next year for that!

Questions for you...

In Juneau we want to do a heli/glacier walk. You have incredible pics from your excursion with Northstar! Will the 1 hr. walkabout give us the time we need to experience what we see in your pics? AND ... would you use Northstar again?

In Sitka...we read a lot of rave reviews of the Ester G with Capt. Davey for a Marine Wildlife tour. Is this the tour you wanted to get but didn't due to no availability? His 3 hr. tour seems to be more than whalewatching and wondered if you had any insight into it. I'm hoping to see sea otters, eagles, and maybe a bear. We will be doing FISHES again in ISP. Do you think they will be too similar of excursions?

In Ketchikan...we booked the Orca Cove kayaking with Southeast Sea...probably won't be a thrilling as your Valdez excursion but will still be quite an experience for us. Keith's favorite line in your Alaska review is this..."I chose a day-long kayak tour of Columbia Glacier through Pangaea, which turned out to be not only my most amazing experience in Alaska, but probably my entire life." :)

Enjoy planning your next adventure!

Trudy

Hi Patrick...I thought I'd answer your question about the date of our trip here instead of the OP's thread as I wanted to ask you a few things too.

We're doing the 14 night Ultimate Alaska on Serenade, May 3-17. It's a really nice itineary but we still won't have the time for a Denali land tour. Maybe next year for that!

Questions for you...

In Juneau we want to do a heli/glacier walk. You have incredible pics from your excursion with Northstar! Will the 1 hr. walkabout give us the time we need to experience what we see in your pics? AND ... would you use Northstar again?

Hi Trudy - Your itinerary sounds great. So much to plan, but that's half the fun. :) NorthStar was great and I highly recommend them. They were very professional, prepared and thorough. They completely outfit you in gear; you could show up in short and flops if you wanted. They were also very safety conscious.

As far as timing goes, as you know, they offer 3 tour levels. I did level 2. The level 1 tour, which gets you the hour on the glacier is good and will likely leave time for a short walk, but as you know, the longer the better. If I had to do it all over again, I would've booked level 3, which is labeled as including glacier climbing. I had no interest in that, but recently learned on here from BQ that often, the level 3 tour breaks into 2 groups - those that want to climb, and those that just want to hike.

Budgeting these tours is always tough, and I'm sure you will get a great experience and pictures on the hour walk, but if you can swing a longer tour, go for it.

In Sitka...[/b]we read a lot of rave reviews of the Ester G with Capt. Davey for a Marine Wildlife tour. Is this the tour you wanted to get but didn't due to no availability? His 3 hr. tour seems to be more than whalewatching and wondered if you had any insight into it. I'm hoping to see sea otters' date=' eagles, and maybe a bear. We will be doing FISHES again in ISP. Do you think they will be too similar of excursions? [/quote']

We did both FISHES and whale watching in Sitka last year on our Radiance B2B. The Sitka trip wasn't with Capt Davey, but it was similar. IMO, the ISP and Sitka trips are very similar, but in good ways that I was perfectly happy with. In Sitka, we only had to stay in the bay to find 4 humpbacks, and we spent about 45 min with them before zipping off to other spots to look for bears and other wildlife. IMO, I think it would be challenging to see bears from a boat like this - it's all luck and timing - but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, I can't get enough time being that close to whales, so I wouldn't hesitate to book them both, unless you have something pressing in Sitka that you really want to do. It's a great little town.

In Ketchikan[/b]...we booked the Orca Cove kayaking with Southeast Sea...probably won't be a thrilling as your Valdez excursion but will still be quite an experience for us. Keith's favorite line in your Alaska review is this..."I chose a day-long kayak tour of Columbia Glacier through Pangaea' date=' which turned out to be not only my most amazing experience in Alaska, but probably my entire life." :)[/quote']

Probably a day doesn't go by when I don't think about that kayak tour! I'm trying to get back in 2008 but it may not happen. I may try a similar tour in Seward, or I am toying with the more remote possibility of kayaking Glacier Bay.Regardless, I am a huge proponent of kayaking trips in AK; there is something unique, special and vulnerable about being on the water, close to nature. You guys will have a great time!

Patrick...just booked with Capt. Davey in Sitka so we're good to go on that one, as well as with FISHES in ISP. I'm excited to do both even though they are similar. Like a round of golf, you play the same game over and over again but each time it's different! (well...that was my "sell" to Keith for us doing both!) :D

Do you know who RCI uses for their flightseeing tours? I was surprised to see their 1 hr. glacier walk was only $10 more than NST! Except NST goes to Mendenhall, and RCI's tour goes to "one of their choice". Would have thought they'd be a greater price break booking independant! I only got prices for the Level 1 tour but will call and get prices for the Level 2 and see if it's a better value.

When talking about kayaking you used the word "vulnerable"...should I be a little worried?! :confused:

ANOTHER THING...CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO RESPOND WITH 3 SEPARATE QUOTES IN A REPLY LIKE YOU DID? I've tried but can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Trudy

Patrick...just booked with Capt. Davey in Sitka so we're good to go on that one, as well as with FISHES in ISP. I'm excited to do both even though they are similar. Like a round of golf, you play the same game over and over again but each time it's different! (well...that was my "sell" to Keith for us doing both!) :D

I like that analogy - very smart!

Do you know who RCI uses for their flightseeing tours? I was surprised to see their 1 hr. glacier walk was only $10 more than NST! Except NST goes to Mendenhall, and RCI's tour goes to "one of their choice". Would have thought they'd be a greater price break booking independant! I only got prices for the Level 1 tour but will call and get prices for the Level 2 and see if it's a better value.

I don't know who RCI uses; I'm sorry. Maybe start a thread specifically on this and get other peoples' opinions?

When talking about kayaking you used the word "vulnerable"...should I be a little worried?! :confused:

LOL -- no, don't worry. Bad word choice on my part. You're vulnerable in the sense that you feel like a small, small part of the surroundings. You're outside, in the open, not protected by the glass of the ship / boat / train / car - that layer is gone.

Kayaks are very stable and easy to guide. The trickiest parts are getting in and out. Give yourself a few minutes to get used to it the first time you board, and just be willing to deal with the elements, especially in Ketchikan if it's not a nice day.

I love kayaking; I'm about to buy one at home.

ANOTHER THING...CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO RESPOND WITH 3 SEPARATE QUOTES IN A REPLY LIKE YOU DID? I've tried but can't figure it out.

LOL - well the way I do it (and there may be others):

1. Quote the post

2. When you go to add your comments, each post start with QUOTE=truthandkeidy;13148686 and ends with /QUOTE. Those are HTML code commands. Copy the first command and paste it at the beginning of each item you want to quote. Copy and paste the second command and place it at the end of each item you want to quote. Then type your comment. Hope that helps.

I like that analogy - very smart!.

I should make all the blondes out there very happy!

Bad word choice on my part. You're vulnerable in the sense that you feel like a small, small part of the surroundings. You're outside, in the open, not protected by the glass of the ship / boat / train / car - that layer is gone.

Kayaks are very stable and easy to guide. The trickiest parts are getting in and out. Give yourself a few minutes to get used to it the first time you board, and just be willing to deal with the elements, especially in Ketchikan if it's not a nice day.

I love kayaking; I'm about to buy one at home.

I know we'll be able to handle it, whatever the weather...but wouldn't it be spectacular if we had a nice sunny day! :cool:

1. Quote the post

2. When you go to add your comments, each post start with QUOTE=truthandkeidy;13148686 and ends with /QUOTE. Those are HTML code commands. Copy the first command and paste it at the beginning of each item you want to quote. Copy and paste the second command and place it at the end of each item you want to quote. Then type your comment. Hope that helps.

I had to read your instructions 5 X's before I got what you were talking about, but by golly, I think I've got it!

THANKS.

Trudy

I had to read your instructions 5 X's before I got what you were talking about, but by golly, I think I've got it!

THANKS.

Trudy

You rock! Good job! :)

You guys are cruising like crazy. I will be interested to hear about Empress. She has a great itinerary.

Patrick,

I think my family and I are on this cruise you mentioned. We leave Vancouver at 5:00 pm on 5/23 for our 7 day cruise and end up in Seward and then we have the 3 day land tour where we see Denali and Fairbanks and fly home on June 2nd. Is that the same one? For our excursions we have booked Saxman Native Village and The Lumberjack Show in Ketchican, Juneau we are doing the tour to Mendenhall Glacier and Gardens. In Skagway we're doing the tour that is White Pass and Trail Camp Adventure or whatever it's called and then in Icy Straight Point we're doing the Whale Watching Cruise.

Patrick,

I think my family and I are on this cruise you mentioned. We leave Vancouver at 5:00 pm on 5/23 for our 7 day cruise and end up in Seward and then we have the 3 day land tour where we see Denali and Fairbanks and fly home on June 2nd. Is that the same one? For our excursions we have booked Saxman Native Village and The Lumberjack Show in Ketchican, Juneau we are doing the tour to Mendenhall Glacier and Gardens. In Skagway we're doing the tour that is White Pass and Trail Camp Adventure or whatever it's called and then in Icy Straight Point we're doing the Whale Watching Cruise.

Hi - Yup that's my cruise too! Come join our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578756. It needs some life!

I will post a more detailed reply there later today.

[quote name='truthandkeidy;

In Sitka...we read a lot of rave reviews of the Ester G with Capt. Davey for a Marine Wildlife tour. Is this the tour you wanted to get but didn't due to no availability? His 3 hr. tour seems to be more than whalewatching and wondered if you had any insight into it. I'm hoping to see sea otters' date=' eagles, and maybe a bear. We will be doing FISHES again in ISP. Do you think they will be too similar of excursions?

[b']In Ketchikan[/b]...we booked the Orca Cove kayaking with Southeast Sea...probably won't be a thrilling as your Valdez excursion but will still be quite an experience for us.

I do not recommend the 1 hour glacier treks, simply, not enough time, you will barely get your crampons on and get going, before it is over. Even the 2 hour treks are occasionally reviewed with regret with the time. My opinion only, at the very least- go an extra hour longer, with the 3 preferably.

Whale watching out of Hoonah and Sitka boat tours are completely different. You usually can see humpbacks out of Sitka, but the time viewing is limited. IF you have to give up one, the varied wildlife is far more out of Sitka. Don't count on any bears. But have your binoculars always handy, needing a good pair of wide angle at least 10 power, and keep scanning shorelines.

Southeast Kayak is an excellent well run company, but no glaciers in this area. So completely different scenery.

ERA is probably the vendor, a significant difference will be the personal attention you get with Northstar, and probably more overall time, since the ship contracted run extremely tight schedules.

I do not recommend the 1 hour glacier treks, simply, not enough time, you will barely get your crampons on and get going, before it is over. Even the 2 hour treks are occasionally reviewed with regret with the time. My opinion only, at the very least- go an extra hour longer, with the 3 preferably.

Whale watching out of Hoonah and Sitka boat tours are completely different. You usually can see humpbacks out of Sitka, but the time viewing is limited. IF you have to give up one, the varied wildlife is far more out of Sitka. Don't count on any bears. But have your binoculars always handy, needing a good pair of wide angle at least 10 power, and keep scanning shorelines.

Southeast Kayak is an excellent well run company, but no glaciers in this area. So completely different scenery.

Hi Budget Queen...I'm just now reading these comments after posting a question to you on another thread about kayaking in Orca's Cove. You answered my question here before I even asked it! Boy are you good! :D

I'm glad to hear the Sitka boat excursion is a bit different from whale watching in Hoonah. We booked them both! :)

As far as the Glacier Trek, we did decide to do the 2 hour excursion with Northstar. From talking with Northstar, they pretty much told me but with no guarantee, that RCI uses them for the Level 1, 2, & 3 treks. The short walkabouts are done with their sister company, which I believe she said was TEMSCO. Our decision now is to book direct or thru RCI. The price with RCI ($399) is only $20 pp higher with no cancellation penalty prior to 24 hrs. Unlike NS ($379), 10% cancellation fee once booked. We usually book directly with the independants but sure thought they'd be a bigger price break! :rolleyes:

What I'd really like to know is....have you done this in the rain? We'll be there May 10th and I'm hoping for sunny skies but would like to know what to expect in the event of rain! :confused:

Thanks for your comments.

Trudy

Archived