Mediterrean Cruise Questions

Northern Light

Hello there, I'm new to this forum but have enjoyed reading others' posts. Tomorrow, I am about to committ to a Mediterrean cruise on the Emerald Princess in May heading mainly to Italy, Greece and Turkey I have a question about the shore excursions. I am female with artificial knees and a fused ankle. I have concerns about washroom facilities with just a hole in the floor. Can anyone tell me if there are western style facilities available in these countries or what should I expect to encounter in this regard? Would appreciate any information travellers can provide. Thanks a bunch.

We found the facilities in the Med, while perhaps not up to Western standards, to be at a minimum acceptable. We stayed at major tourist attractions and tourist areas.

Check out our review and pics (but not of the restrooms!) at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

and http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hello there, I'm new to this forum but have enjoyed reading others' posts. Tomorrow, I am about to committ to a Mediterrean cruise on the Emerald Princess in May heading mainly to Italy, Greece and Turkey I have a question about the shore excursions. I am female with artificial knees and a fused ankle. I have concerns about washroom facilities with just a hole in the floor. Can anyone tell me if there are western style facilities available in these countries or what should I expect to encounter in this regard? Would appreciate any information travellers can provide. Thanks a bunch.
I've done extensive traveling over the years and other than a few French bathrooms from the 1960s that I experienced, the ONLY time I've seen a "hole in the ground" in the past several decades was in China this past August. Even then, there was at least one Western-style toilet available. While not the best, you'll find the toilets sit-down. :)

I also have artificial knees and one hip. I have not experienced stand-up toilets in Italy, Greece or Turkey. However, handicapped toilets are less available than they are in the US. Also some of the toilets have been very low to the floor which may or may not be a problem for you. I do have problems if there are no handrails provided.

.........I have concerns about washroom facilities with just a hole in the floor. Can anyone tell me if there are western style facilities available in these countries or what should I expect to encounter in this regard? Would appreciate any information travellers can provide. Thanks a bunch.

I can assure you as others above have, that there are normal western style facilities available. But be aware that there is usually a charge for use (normally 1 euro).

Are we Europeans viewed as being Oriental by our friends across the pond? The only major toilet issue I have experienced on extensive travels is in Greece where there are still some places where you are not allowed to put toilet tissue in the WC to be flushed. Instead there is a bin for used tissues adjacent to the WC....yeeuch!!! Having said this, it's only on the very small islands like Spetse where I have encountered this recently. The main ports should have acceptable 'Occidental' facilities.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thank you everyone for such quick responses to my question. I can see that I will quite enjoy participating in this forum. Message to Alan - my humble apologies if I have offended you about "western" facilities. I did not intend to imply that the rest of the world did not use regular bathrooms. Heck, my grandmother had an outhouse until she moved into town when she was in her 70s. Anyway, to make a long story short, this will be our first trip (of many, I hope) across an ocean and to an ancient part of the world as well. Just want to prepare myself with as much information as possible to make this a most memorable trip. :)

Thank you everyone for such quick responses to my question. I can see that I will quite enjoy participating in this forum. Message to Alan - my humble apologies if I have offended you about "western" facilities. I did not intend to imply that the rest of the world did not use regular bathrooms. Heck, my grandmother had an outhouse until she moved into town when she was in her 70s. Anyway, to make a long story short, this will be our first trip (of many, I hope) across an ocean and to an ancient part of the world as well. Just want to prepare myself with as much information as possible to make this a most memorable trip. :)

No offense taken-honestly! I sincerely hope that you enjoy your trip over here as much as I have enjoyed visiting Canada & USA. We are always delighted to welcome our friends and allies. I hope that one day you can come to Scotland where I hope you will be as pleased to see us as we are (always) to see you.

Best regards,

Alan

Only ran into just the hole in the floor in Turkey--but was able to find a western toilet--no problems in the other countries--remember having those in Kenya--but--you're not going there

In a wonderful Hotel in Venice--the restrooms were unisex--although the stalls were very private--something to get used to--I remember waiting for my turn and a gentleman stepped out of the stall with "Good Morning"-

Made it seem better somehow,,,

Have a good vacation

Nancy:D

Northern Light, I can only reiterate what everyone else has told you. We were on Emerald Princess last September and did the Grand Med cruise, visiting Italy, Greece, Turkey etc. Now it sounds like you might possibly doing the same cruise. We had a fabulous time and enjoyed every minute of it. What I will say is some of the trips involve a lot of walking so beware. If I can be of any help with other questions please feel free to ask. By the way we did all our excursions with Princess. The only one I didn't get to was Istanbul, as I was ill that day. Rome was fantastic, so was Ephesus, oh I could go on and on but won't.

.......We are always delighted to welcome our friends and allies. I hope that one day you can come to Scotland where I hope you will be as pleased to see us as we are (always) to see you.

Best regards, Alan

We certainly enjoyed your country on our recent visit and can not wait to get back in the future. It was especially exciting for my wife and I to visit the home of many of our ancestors and tie into our heritage.

Princess always has tours designed for those of us who have trouble walking. Be sure and bring a cane! I managed to climb the 200+ steps to the Parthanon, and I was so proud of myself! My biggest problem was at Pompeii. I was so busy watching my step and trying to keep up, I did not enjoy it as much as I might have done, had my guide been more considerate.:( Ephasus is easier, and all downhill. If you are going to Santorini, there is no easy way back to the ship, but it is worth it. If you allow plenty of time, and go shopping on your way to the cable-car (:D ) you should make it OK. Enjoy your trip!

We certainly enjoyed your country on our recent visit and can not wait to get back in the future. It was especially exciting for my wife and I to visit the home of many of our ancestors and tie into our heritage.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed thie wee part of Earth. You are probably now aware that we are humble, but not xenophobic......Haste Ye Back!

Alan

Princess always has tours designed for those of us who have trouble walking. Be sure and bring a cane! I managed to climb the 200+ steps to the Parthanon, and I was so proud of myself! My biggest problem was at Pompeii. I was so busy watching my step and trying to keep up, I did not enjoy it as much as I might have done, had my guide been more considerate.:( Ephasus is easier, and all downhill. If you are going to Santorini, there is no easy way back to the ship, but it is worth it. If you allow plenty of time, and go shopping on your way to the cable-car (:D ) you should make it OK. Enjoy your trip!
When you check the list of available Princess tours, look for the ones that have "EZ" in the name. These are the ones designed specifically for those who have limited walking ability. As for Santorini, we took a general tour of most of the island and were dropped back at the dock where the tender left us off. People were given the option of going back on the cablecar but it was very easy getting on/off and to/from the ship. Next time I go there, I'll make sure it's earlier in the season so that everything isn't shut up tight and closed. NOTHING was open and there wasn't even anyone on any of the roads. Pretty grim.

Archived