Rent a Golf Cart for the Day!

lestoby

We had pretty much the same experience as "Sam".

When you exit the cruise ship, you walk along a cement pier that leads you into a shopping area (looks like your typical American seaport village) and Margaritaville to get to the parking lot (in distance it would be about 2 blocks through the pier and shopping center). When in the parking lot, there is a covered portico area that is for buses and taxi's and to the left, is about 30 parking spaces. It was in this area that we were looking for Tonys scooters, but ran into Nathan who led us to the left hand side of the parking lot and into a golf cart. The port area is "Fenced" (most likely to keep out businesses who have not paid licensing fees to sell, barter, etc. within the port area). Just outside of fence is where Tony's scooters are located.

I did not notice if Nathan had other golf carts in this area (outside the fence), but it could be likely that he was inside the "fence" area looking for prospects to rent his golf carts without actually soliciting his business. WE approached Nathan asking for directions. He did not approach us.

Ports and airports are highly regulated to keep out rif-raff and others who are unwilling to pay taxes, licenses, and registration fees to have the privilidge of running a business in a highly profitable area. This is why the scooters and golf carts are located outside of the port fencing.

As for lunch, we went to a hotel (do not know the name) along the harbor side of town, next to where they have the carriage rides. It was OK, nothing great, but we really enjoyed the view and the covered patio as it rained the whole time that we were eating lunch. When lunch was over, so was the rain! :) We did try the Turk Heads beer, that had somewhat of a ginger / cinnamon taste to it and I did not care for it too much. I like the Kalik beer in Nassau much better.

If you like to snorkle, bring your own mask, snorkle, and vest as there is great snorkeling right off the beach. I heard a lot of people complaining that the snorkle tour (offered by the cruise ships) was in too deep of water.

SAMNZ & LESTOBY - Thank You both for all the helpful information. We have now decided to just take a chance and hope we find Nathan when we get to Grand Turk. It sounds like you both had a great time, and we hope it will be the same for us. I will report back after our cruise as to our experience.

We had pretty much the same experience as "Sam".

When you exit the cruise ship, you walk along a cement pier that leads you into a shopping area (looks like your typical American seaport village) and Margaritaville to get to the parking lot (in distance it would be about 2 blocks through the pier and shopping center). When in the parking lot, there is a covered portico area that is for buses and taxi's and to the left, is about 30 parking spaces. It was in this area that we were looking for Tonys scooters, but ran into Nathan who led us to the left hand side of the parking lot and into a golf cart. The port area is "Fenced" (most likely to keep out businesses who have not paid licensing fees to sell, barter, etc. within the port area). Just outside of fence is where Tony's scooters are located.

I did not notice if Nathan had other golf carts in this area (outside the fence), but it could be likely that he was inside the "fence" area looking for prospects to rent his golf carts without actually soliciting his business. WE approached Nathan asking for directions. He did not approach us.

Ports and airports are highly regulated to keep out rif-raff and others who are unwilling to pay taxes, licenses, and registration fees to have the privilidge of running a business in a highly profitable area. This is why the scooters and golf carts are located outside of the port fencing.

As for lunch, we went to a hotel (do not know the name) along the harbor side of town, next to where they have the carriage rides. It was OK, nothing great, but we really enjoyed the view and the covered patio as it rained the whole time that we were eating lunch. When lunch was over, so was the rain! :) We did try the Turk Heads beer, that had somewhat of a ginger / cinnamon taste to it and I did not care for it too much. I like the Kalik beer in Nassau much better.

If you like to snorkle, bring your own mask, snorkle, and vest as there is great snorkeling right off the beach. I heard a lot of people complaining that the snorkle tour (offered by the cruise ships) was in too deep of water.

Thanks for the detailed post. I hope we can find Nathan when we get there :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just got back from the Triumph on Saturday and we did the golf carts in Grand Turk. We just walked through the parking lot outside the gates and there are a couple of guys renting the carts plus someone renting scooters. We paid $90 for 5 of us on one cart. The guy who owns them also drives a taxi but I thought his name was Tony. We had to get his okay for 5 of us on the cart. I recommend that you head there right after getting off the ship as they go quickly. You can download a map off the Turks and Caicos site but you don't really need it as someone else mentioned you can't get lost the island is really small. You will have lots of fun!

Sue

I will also be looking for Nathan. Looks like I'll hide the kids:rolleyes: if the carts are $60.00 for 2 or $80.00 for 4.

Don't get this - a cart is a cart!

Those of you going soon, please post your experiences with Nathan.

Thanks

Carts come in many sizes. 2 seaters are most likely the 60$ ones and 4 seaters would be the 80 $ ones. Some even come with 6 seats.

Hi All!

Well, I never received a return email from Nathan, so I attempted to be one of the first off the ship in hopes of getting a golf cart. I tracked Nathan down. He was wearing a tan vest and was standing in the taxi/van dispatch area. He has 6 golf carts. When I asked how much the cart would be for the day, he said $60. From reading the posts, I was prepared to pay $80, so I was happy to pay the $60. I told him I had been trying to email him over the past couple of weeks and he had other people contacting him about rentals too and he just kind of shrugged. I asked how often he reads his emails and he said "Not very often..."

We were the first to rent from him and had use of the cart from 12:30 until 5:30. You have to walk about 1/4 mile out of the cruise ship terminal property to get your golf cart as no scooters or carts are allowed on the property. Since the scooters rent for $55 each (and was told there is a tax on top of this charged also), the carts are really much more economical, plus gives you room to haul your stuff...not to mention the protection from the sun.

The cart is gas powered. We started with just over a half tank and my BF was afraid of running out of gas, but it barely budged the whole day and we we driving the cart almost continuously as we explored the island.

I would suggest making Governor's Beach your last stop. We arrived there just as a tour bus was leaving about 4:00 and had the whole beach to ourselves!

When you're done with the cart, you just park it where you originally picked it up with the keys in it. My BF was astounded that Nathan never asked our names nor got any IDs from either of us. Guess he figured it would be kind of hard for us to take the cart back on the ship with us;)

The next time we're in GT, we'll definately do this again! There are several restaurant/bars in the small town area that are more reasonably priced than Margaritaville, but I guess it depends what you're looking for. When you have the cart for the day, you're free to pop in where ever you want!!

Cage Keeper,

Thanks for the info, as you can see I don't play golf so don't know much about carts:rolleyes: . One way or another, I plan to look for Nathan. Too bad he doesn't reserve in advance.

lotro,

Thanks for reporting back about your experience. We will look for Nathan. Unfortunately, we arrive late and another ship is in port for the morning so there may be none left.

this sounds like such a fun thing to do..... We're in port after another ship too (11-5:30), so I'm hoping Nathan will still have some carts available by the time we get there.

I took a chance and emailed Nathan, hoping to get a response. All the info I've seen says he accepts credit cards, but should I just plan on cash instead???

thanks for everyone's help!

lotro - Thanks for getting back to us with your experience with Nathan. Sounds like you had a great day. We leave Monday on our cruise and will be in Grand Turk on Wednesday. I can't wait. Would you mind telling us what restaurants, shops, etc. you stopped at? Any recommendations on things "not to miss". Did you have a map or did you just explore. Thanks!

Cage Keeper,

Thanks for the info, as you can see I don't play golf so don't know much about carts:rolleyes: . One way or another, I plan to look for Nathan. Too bad he doesn't reserve in advance.

lotro,

Thanks for reporting back about your experience. We will look for Nathan. Unfortunately, we arrive late and another ship is in port for the morning so there may be none left.

I don't play golf either. We are campers and use them to get around campgrounds. Disney world is a great campground for golf carts.

lotro - Thanks for getting back to us with your experience with Nathan. Sounds like you had a great day. We leave Monday on our cruise and will be in Grand Turk on Wednesday. I can't wait. Would you mind telling us what restaurants, shops, etc. you stopped at? Any recommendations on things "not to miss". Did you have a map or did you just explore. Thanks!

This was our second trip to GT, so we were somewhat familiar with the island. We ventured out without a map, but you can get one from the information desk at the port area. There is one major road that takes you around the entire island. The paved road will end and there will be unpaved areas...I would advise to stay on the paved roads as we went down these unpaved roads and they got rockier and more filled with holes the farther we went! And there aren't very good shocks in golf carts!!

We first went into the town area and that's where you'll find most of the bars/restaurants. We stopped at the Sandbar...that my BF's favorite little bar that's right by the ocean. We ate right before we left the ship, so we didn't eat in GT, but he just stopped off for a few beers. He likes the open air atmosphere there. We stopped in at a small grocery store and the No Credit Fish Market right behind there. There are some brightly painted souvenir shops that have now been completed that were in the process of being constructed during our previous visit. If you've never visited the prison before, it was an interesting tour and is located in the downtown area.

We drove to the lighthouse, but just took photos and not the tour. Very near the lighthouse, there were some horse/donkey stables right by the ocean. We pulled in there and got some great photos. I say we covered 90% of the island. I enjoy taking photos of local housing, etc. So we made numerous photo stops for various clapboard houses with tin roofs, etc.

Toward the end of the day, we stopped at Governor's Beach for snorkeling and I found my first pieces of sea glass I have ever encountered. It was great fun. We had the beach to ourselves with one other couple. There is a place that sells drinks there.

Hi,

We just got back and also rented a golf cart. Nathan was right outside the fenced area of the cruise terminal. We were 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids and he changed us $70, and told us it was $60 for 2. I'm guessing that he charged us $70 instead of $80 because the other 2 were kids. We had an awesome time. Drove up to the lighthouse and stopped at Governer's Beach. There's really not a lot to see but it is beautiful water to look out and around upon and just driving around in the golf cart was fun for all of us. The Beach was very nice, and had decent snorkeling. I spend about 45 minutes snorkeling. It was better snorkeling at Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas, however. I should also mention that the locals were very friendly and helpful with directions. Even when we just looked like we were unsure (didn't ask anyone), someone would shout out to us to help. Have fun.....-Maureen

How long a drive is it to the lighthouse in the golf cart?

Is there enough space in a golf cart to put a fold up walker?

Would the golf cart for 6 be to cramped is 4 of the people are large?

I am also wondering if it is to far to walk to where the carts are for the person with a walker?

Is there very little traffic, so you felt safe from being run over in the golf cart by a bus or cars?

Did anyone have fear of it breaking down while at the far end of the island and then missing the ship?

It sounds like a fun adventure, I'd like to try.

Hi - We are just back from our Imagination Cruise and I wanted to let everyone know about our Golf Cart experience. Our ship was there from 7:00am to 2:00pm and we were worried about getting a cart as we didn't have a reservation, but 7:00 was VERY early for us after a night of Karaoke and the late comedy show. So my DH volunteered to head out and rent the golf cart for our group and be waiting for us we got there. He was off the ship before the photographers were even there to take his picture. Anyway he headed out of the shopping are and towards the parking lot. Now he has never been on this forum and was just going off my instructions. He forgot Nathan's name but went to the area where all the taxi's were parked and asked for "the golf cart guy". A driver said oh you want Nathan and went and got him. He was the first to rent a cart and Nathan let him drive the cart in to the parking area and wait for us. When the rest of us finally got there it was close to 8:00 and he was still the only person to rent a cart. We saw three other carts out on the roads that day, but for one ship if you are the only ship in port you should be fine.

Tweety I will try to answer your questions. First the lighthouse was at the other end of the Island but keep in my the Island is only 7 miles long and 1 1/2 miles wide. Next there really isn't a space for the walker in the four seater but you could just hold onto it in the back, if you get a six seater you could fold it up and put it by your feet in the middle seat. The six seater configuration is driver and passenger seat first row. Second row is a two person bench seat facing forward, and the third row of seats is another two person bench seat facing backwards with a ledge for your feet And even if you have four large people you should have plenty off room. We weren't petite people and my husband is 265#. The walk is a ways but all paved so not that bad, especially if you get Nathan to let you drive the cart into the lot so you don't have to walk through it. As for the traffic there was not much. Every once in awhile we would get a few cars behind us so we would just pull over and let them pass. And everybody was really laid back and patient. Do keep in mind that you drive on the left side of the road, there were a few times as we came around the corner I was startled by a car coming at us on the right but then quickly remembered that we were on the left. We felt very safe once we got used to the left side driving. And last the carts were very well maintained and ran great we didn't worry a bit, and everyone was so friendly on the island we knew if we had a problem we would get help. We also saw taxi's around so we knew that we could always grab one if we had to.

rglbjl - You will have plenty of time. We were there only until 2:00 and we drove EVERY paved road on the island some dirt roads and even a few dirt paths (looked like 4 wheeler paths) Spent time at two different beaches swimming and collecting seashells, went to Her Majesty's Prison, and the lighthouse, stopped at the little shopping area to browse and made it back to Margaritaville in time to enjoy a few Margarita's in the pool before heading back to the ship. Enjoy!

Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions let me know. I'ld be glad to help if I can. Also keep an eye on this thread and I will post a link to my pictures as soon as I get them online.

Stephanie, thank you so much. I was watching your thread also on the Carnival site. Can not wait to see pictures. We leave next month and I did not know what do to in GT. My sons will love doing this. Did not want to just sit at Margaritaville and spend loads of money on drinks, so we can do this and then stop on the way back to the ship. WOW your husband really did get up early. I would imagine the car would be fine for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks for sharing this info. My DD and I were trying to determine something we could do on GT while the rest of our group went to some diving thing. The golf cart rental sounds right up our alley!

My entire family has just thoroughly enjoyed your photos! I cannot thank you enough for posting them and sharing the link! We are sooooo excited about our upcoming trip on the Imagination. We are set to sail in June! My DD said to tell you the photos were beautiful! :)

Steph ... thanks for posting your photos and very helpful explanations. My DH and I with our 2 daughters will be here in early August aboard Princess. We love to explore and the golf cart sounds like the way to go, and finding a beach to snorkel since we love the water. This is only our 2nd cruise and first time to eastern caribbean and cannot wait!!! Thanks for the helpful info. Take care, Cathy

Archived