First Time HAL Cruiser

ahwahoo2006

I am taking my girlfriend on the Westerdam to the Bahamas (Apr 19) and was wondering what I should expect from HAL. This is my second cruise and her first. We are a young couple (mid-20s) and I have heard that HAL tends to be an older crowd, is this true? Any tips for HAL newbies? Thanks!

You can expect gracious service from an attentive, yet unobtrusive, staff.

You can expect to see polished brass, rich woods, and fine artwork throughout the ship.

You can expect to be treated like a guest, and not just a passenger.

I believe you will have some younger couples with you on this itinerary. Yes, Holland America tends to attract an older demographic. But age is more a state of mind, IMO, than a calendar reference. Most HAL cruisers are seasoned travelers who are quite interesting and easy to engage in conversation.

Overall, my adivce is to just go and have fun!

I would tend to think that ages would be younger on a 3 day cruise like this. At my age, 48, I wouldn't want to schlepp my bags to the terminal for only 3 days of cruising. If I could afford it I'd cruise 1 month at a time. We do 7 days and they just aren't long enough.

We have never felt that the passengers on HAL were too old. Some were older, some were younger. But, they have always been very enjoyable and a lot of fun to be with.

You will love your cruise. Have a wonderful time!

Deb

DH and I will also be taking our first HAL cruise in April; we're on a 2-week Panama Canal cruise, so we expect an older crowd.

I'd love to hear some general tips about sailing on HAL. For example, some of my family members recently returned from a cruise on NCL, and they mentioned express disembarkation--does HAL have this? Other than the Pinnacle Grill, gym, and spa, what other things on HAL carry surcharges?

These are just a few examples--I'm interested in hearing anything! :)

We went cruising on the Noordam in Nov.....most of the cruisers were very, very, old. I might add that some were extremely rude. The Noordam is a beautiful ship, the service was good, we enjoyed the itinerary, the ship, & just being together with my husband was wonderful, we tried not to let anything bother us, just a couple of people could use some manners....you'll find that anywhere, so my advice is to try HAL & see for yourself....

We went cruising on the Noordam in Nov.....most of the cruisers were very, very, old. I might add that some were extremely rude. The Noordam is a beautiful ship, the service was good, we enjoyed the itinerary, the ship, & just being together with my husband was wonderful, we tried not to let anything bother us, just a couple of people could use some manners....you'll find that anywhere, so my advice is to try HAL & see for yourself....disembarkation was wonderful, very efficient, you get to wait in your stateroom until your color is called, they make it comfortable:)

I started out many years ago, also very young, doing 3 day cruises to the Bahamas with my girlfriend.

Almost everyone on the ship was older.

We always had a wonderful time. Enjoyed the romance, the ship and the sun....and we've been at it ever since.

Go! Don't worry about any of that stuff. Just enjoy yourself and your girlfriend and start collecting lots of wonderful memories.

Have fun. The Westerdam is a grand ship.

You will enjoy HAL for many reasons, none the least of which is the crew will treat you like royalty. Please do not be concerned about the age of the rest of those cruising with you as how much fun you have is directly proportional to your own state of mind. My wife and I tend to be younger than most of the rest, but we thoroughly enjoy meeting and socializing with everyone. Anyone who is a jerk is avoided, although they are in the very small minority. There are HAL excursions that take youthful vigor and coordination to participate, and there are always a lot of folks involved.

Have a great time ...

harry

Archived