Australia/New Zealand questions

here2cruise

We stayed a week pre-cruise in Sydney, and it still wasn't enough (and we didn't even go to the Blue Mountains, since we see the Rocky Mountains everyday). The joke was that we were going to be gone 5 weeks (one week pre-cruise plus a four week cruise back to SF). For months we had lived by lists, trying to get ready to be gone for that long. Once we finally made it, and were in Sydney, by about Day 4 it became obvious that we weren't going to be able to see everything we wanted to see. So we sat at breakfast one day and made a list of things to do each day for our remaining time in Sydney, and we then lined through each place after we visited it. It felt very familiar to us.

I have just posted reviews in the Australia/New Zealand forums of our Sapphire cruise from Sydney to Auckland Feb 2-14 and a seperate thread with a review of our 8 day land tour precruise including 2+ days in Sydney. I would have liked to have had more time in that city. And had we made more time post cruise, I think I would have spent it in the Bay of Islands

Red Sox:

I have finally found your posts. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I have one question. How did you book the "Sounds of Silence" dinner? My booked landtour doesn't include this special dinner. Feel sorry for you not able to enjoy this wonderful dinner experience. :D

Ricky

Red Sox:

I have finally found your posts. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I have one question. How did you book the "Sounds of Silence" dinner? My booked landtour doesn't include this special dinner. Feel sorry for you not able to enjoy this wonderful dinner experience. :D

Ricky

I booked through Viator.com. You can also book through the Ayres Rock Resort, but when I was shopping, their price was a little higher. I'm waiting on my refund from Viator right now. I'm sure I'll get it, but that aspect might have been less of a hassle had I paid the higher price at ARR. It's their operation.

Hi Ricky

I see that you sail Celebrity alot. Why on this itinerary did you choose Princess instead?

thanks

Cookiersmom:

I actually like both companies.

I chose Princess this time because of its pre and post cruise landtour package. Also I like the option of "personal choice" dining, never had had a chance of enjoying "afternoon tea" before because of our early dinner seating, second seating at 8:30 p.m. is too late for us.

On this cruise, we can choose any time we want for dinner and have had some private time for a change.

Ricky

I booked through Viator.com. You can also book through the Ayres Rock Resort, but when I was shopping, their price was a little higher. I'm waiting on my refund from Viator right now. I'm sure I'll get it, but that aspect might have been less of a hassle had I paid the higher price at ARR. It's their operation.

Red Rox:

Thanks for the info. I just checked it's website. Is it really worth the price of $149.00 per person?

Do you highly recommend?

Ricky

Red Rox:

Thanks for the info. I just checked it's website. Is it really worth the price of $149.00 per person?

Do you highly recommend?

Ricky

Ricky Chan,

At the time that we booked the Sounds of Silence dinner, through Viator.com, the exchange rate made it about $118US pp. I had already heard that dining in AUS/NZ is expensive, especially at Ayres Rock Resort. I looked at the menu at the resort website, and a Barramundi fish dinner entre was $76. We decided that for the full dinner experience including wine and champagne, the price was worth it. And the people I spoke to who have done it all told me that it would be an unforgettable experience. I wish I could tell you that it was worth it, but unfortunately we never got to do it.

As it turned out, we ate at the cafe in the shopping village at the resort. We had salad and pizza and spent about $50 pp, not including drinks. It was good but not what we had hoped for that night.:(

Red Rox:

Do you highly recommend?

Ricky

We were on the same cruise as Red Rox and were fortunate to have good weather for our SOS dinner. The price is steep but we bit the bullet and don't regret it one bit. It's certainly not gourmet food and you do get some interesting insect life dropping in to check out the large candle on your table, but I didn't notice any unusual crunchy bits in the food. However if you are going all that way to see Ayers Rock then you may as well push the boat out just that bit more, and that seemed to be the opinion of all the people on out table.

We were on the same cruise as Red Rox and were fortunate to have good weather for our SOS dinner. The price is steep but we bit the bullet and don't regret it one bit. It's certainly not gourmet food and you do get some interesting insect life dropping in to check out the large candle on your table, but I didn't notice any unusual crunchy bits in the food. However if you are going all that way to see Ayers Rock then you may as well push the boat out just that bit more, and that seemed to be the opinion of all the people on out table.

Red Rox and Terrierjohn:

Wow, salad and pizza cost $50.00 AUD per person, that is what I call expensive, even factor in that it is in the desert, things cost more.

I don't mind paying a premium for what I think is worth it. In this case, it is definitely worth it, judging by most of the good comments posted on Tripadvisors.com. It is once in a life time event.

I am more concern about the weather, unexpect visitors (i.e., flies and mosquitos etc.) :mad:

I guess I just have to take a chance, hoping for good weather on that night.

BTW, trip sold for US$ 130.69 on Viator.com website. Less expensive than Sails Resort.

Thanks for the imputs.

Ricky Chan

Terrierjohn:

Is the cost of ticket include tips for the server or it is separate? If so, any suggestion for the proper amount to tip. I am not familiar with Australian tipping practice. :confused:

Also since I am not buying the ticket from the Resort, do I have to provide my own transportation or we will be picked up by the dinner organizer? :confused:

Ricky Chan

Terrierjohn:

Is the cost of ticket include tips for the server or it is separate? If so, any suggestion for the proper amount to tip. I am not familiar with Australian tipping practice. :confused:

Also since I am not buying the ticket from the Resort, do I have to provide my own transportation or we will be picked up by the dinner organizer? :confused:

Ricky Chan

Ricky, Price includes coach transfers from your hotel and since it's a buffet dinner tipping is not normal, in any case it's so dark you won't be able to tell the difference between staff and diners!

Terrierjohn:

Ricky Chan

we don't have A "tipping practice"...proper wages are paid in OZ..

and to quote Red Rox and Terrierjohn saying "$50 for salad and pizza in Australia"

Well that is DEFINITELY NOT "the norm"..remember it's about 3 days drive for a transporter of food to Ayres Rock...you can still get Pizza and Salad in the city for 10 bucks

Is the cost of ticket include tips for the server or it is separate? If so, any suggestion for the proper amount to tip. I am not familiar with Australian tipping practice.
There's a very easy way to remember tipping practice in Australia and New Zealand.

Simply say after me: "I do not need to tip anyone."

we don't have A "tipping practice"...proper wages are paid in OZ..

and to quote Red Rox and Terrierjohn saying "$50 for salad and pizza in Australia"

Well that is DEFINITELY NOT "the norm"..remember it's about 3 days drive for a transporter of food to Ayres Rock...you can still get Pizza and Salad in the city for 10 bucks

That explain why it is so expensive. May be we should rephrase "it is very expensive to eat in the desert".

Ricky

We are booked on the 1/17 Diamond. Want to go through Hawaii for a few days, we LOVE Hawaii! Then spend a few days in Sydney, want to go to the Steve Erwin Australia Zoo. Possible from Sydney? Also want to see Cairns for a few days. Any suggestions?

[quote name='nana nancy']We are booked on the 1/17 Diamond. Want to go through Hawaii for a few days, we LOVE Hawaii! Then spend a few days in Sydney, want to go to the Steve Erwin Australia Zoo. Possible from Sydney? Also want to see Cairns for a few days. Any suggestions?[/quote]

hi nana nancy, if you are in sydney and want to see steve irwins zoo, its about 1 hour flight from sydney to brisbane, you can do a day tour to steve irwins zoo, here is a link [URL]http://www.australiazoo.com.au/[/URL]

to get to cairns its another plane flight from brisbane but its a lovely place, the best time to go there is our winter months june july and august, you will be walking around in shorts and thongs, even the great barrier reef is lovely

australia is a big country and things are not cheap as in food and accomdation

Archived