Australia/New Zealand questions

here2cruise

we are thinking of taking the cruise next january and we're not sure how many days to stay pre cruise & post cruise...is there much to do in Auckland? we aren't sure if we should stay 1 or 2 days. Also we're not sure if we should stay 2 or 3 days in sydney... any thoughts?its a 13 day cruise and am trying not to use all my vacation up in the first month, but also want to see a little of the area while i'm there!

I can comment on Sydney, as although we have visited Auckland, we have never spent any actual time there.

In Sydney, there is so much to do and see in the city itself and surrounding areas, even a week isn't too much time there so as many days as you can spare is what I would recommend.

It is a lovely city and the Blue Mountains are fantastic for an all day excursion.

I agree about sydney and auckland is similar. I think we spent 3 nights pre-cruise in Auckland (there was still tons to do): wineries, harbor tours, the tower, south toward tauranga (even with a ship's tour there there's still tons more worth doing).

It's a long distance to go and well worth the time. You won't regret spending as much time as you can there. There will be things to do. Decide how long you want to spend and then build your itinerary accordingly.

Add me to the Sydney list. I spent a week there before my cruise and a week in Auckland afterwards. There is so much to see and do in Sydney I could have easily spent more time. The Blue Mountains are a nice day trip, I booked this thru my hotel. For a nice place to stay try the Russell Hotel, fantastic location right in the historic Rocks district and steps from Circular Quay, the Opera House and bridge. http://www.therussell.com.au/

I enjoyed Auckland but not nearly as much as Sydney. My main goal when I was there was to watch the Americas Cup sailing as the semi finals were on during my visit. Without that as an attraction I'd say 2 days would be enough. The museum is worth a vist, it has some really nice exhibits.

Enjoy your cruise, this was right near the top of my wish list. Now in 2009 I'm doing the one at the top, Antarctica

I was on this cruise in 1998 on the Sky Princess from Auckland to Sydney (14 nights). We had stayed 3 nights before the cruise and 3 nights at the end of the cruise. Our cruise was so exciting, as we encountered a tropical storm, which resulted in missing 3 of the ports (one of them was Tasmania) and staying in Melbourne 2 days instead of 1. The ship was rocking and rolling for days. We had an outside cabin and on day 3 it turned into an inside because they had to close the cover on the porthole. We had weathered the storm. After 22 cruises, this still remains my favourite of all the cruises I have taken. When we went, most of the ship was continuing on an 3 day excursion to Great Barrier Reef. I would have like to do this, but I wanted my days in Sydney. In Auckland, there is that tall tower you can go up and the views from the top are great. Also, there is a ferry you can take over to (can't think of the name), but it is very quaint over there.

If you have not been before, I highly recommend both a pre and post cruise stay.

The first time "down under", we did 2 nights pre-cruise in Auckland, and 2 nights post cruise in Sydney. We had a great time in both cities.

We are going "down under" again in Jan 09, on Oceania's Nautica, and doing a pre-cruise in Auckland, but skipping a post-cruise in Sydney. Nautica is doing a one night overnight in Sydney, and that suits our purpose for that trip.

we are thinking of taking the cruise next january and we're not sure how many days to stay pre cruise & post cruise...is there much to do in Auckland? we aren't sure if we should stay 1 or 2 days. Also we're not sure if we should stay 2 or 3 days in sydney... any thoughts?its a 13 day cruise and am trying not to use all my vacation up in the first month, but also want to see a little of the area while i'm there!

We are currently booked for January 17, 2009, 12 days, Auckland to Sydney, so I've been researching the same thing.

My daughter-in-law is from Melbourne and she, my son, and granddaughter just returned this month from 3 weeks in Australia. She took my son/granddaughter to Sydney for 3 days prior to them coming home, so 3 days sounds good and that's tentatively what we are planning.

We are also planning 2 days pre-cruise in Auckland, not counting the day we arrive or sail.

However, since we do not have to worry about vacation, we are also spending about 3-4 weeks in Australia. Can't wait!!!!!!

Denny

Hi,

I think that you have a choice of two or three days depending on whether your cruise calls at Tauranga/MT Maunganui.

If your cruise calls at Tauranga I think 2 days based in Auckland would suffice.

http://www.aucklandnz.com/

Here is the official tourism site for the City of Auckland and surrounding area. From it you should be able to sched a full day's activities. Make sure you take the ferry across the harbour to Devenport, take a walk up to the Auckland Domain, visit the Maori market if you're there on the right day, Tarkenton's Antarctica.

A day's activities further afield (if you don't mind driving on the left side of the road) is to take a drive over to Waihi aqnd wander the day up and around the Coromandel peninsula, visiting Whangamata, the surf capital of the east coast, the quiet and tranquil village and beach of Onemana, and on to Hot Water Beach.

A second day could be a day's excursion down across the Waikato Plain through Hamilton to the Glow Worm Grotto and caves at Waitomo (see the attached link)

http://www.waitomo.com/waitomo-glowworm-caves.aspx

Iy your ship does not call at Tauranga, you could take a third day and visit the thermal valleys at Whakarewarewa or Te Puia(see link) in Rotorua.

http://www.nzmaori.co.nz/

http://www.whakarewarewa.com/

Enjoy your holiday in New Zealand and "Escape Completely" on your

Princess Cruise.

Ciao for now!!!

I would be less worried about giving up vacation time than taking the time to travel to such a beautiful place and not spend sufficient time to enjoy it. We did the same trip and I have pictures posted so you can see some of the sights that are available.

We spend three days in Sydney before sailing. After we got to Auckland we boarded a plane to fly to Queensland as everyone told us the southern island is more beautiful. You will see a lot of the coast from the ship, but the inner part of the island is spectacular (see my photos). http://travel.webshots.com/album/560641316QQzqaW

We also did a stop in Fiji on our way home because we felt it was a place in the world we would not fly to exclusively. It was well worth the time and extra costs.

Have a great trip and hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :D

I think your problem with 2-3 days in Sydney will be what to eliminate from seeing in your schedule. You could spend several days just taking the ferries from the Quay to the various different areas. Blue Mts. was a must for us and well worth the time. Buy a Sydney pass and ride the bus, etc around Sydney for sight seeing. If not the bridge climb at least climb the pylon.

If you check the Sydney port thread you will find hours and hours of reading about Sydney

And dont forget to stop into a local pub and sample the wares.

You will like Sydney and the people are great.

G'day

We are currently booked for January 17, 2009, 12 days, Auckland to Sydney, so I've been researching the same thing.

My daughter-in-law is from Melbourne and she, my son, and granddaughter just returned this month from 3 weeks in Australia. She took my son/granddaughter to Sydney for 3 days prior to them coming home, so 3 days sounds good and that's tentatively what we are planning.

We are also planning 2 days pre-cruise in Auckland, not counting the day we arrive or sail.

However, since we do not have to worry about vacation, we are also spending about 3-4 weeks in Australia. Can't wait!!!!!!

Denny

we'll be on the same cruise...january 17!!! we will stay 3 days in sydney and 1 or 2 days in auckland...oh heck, maybe 3...cant make up our minds!

Having spent a total of 16 weeks touring New Zealand i can say it has a mix of the most beautiful scenery and diverse flora and fauna ,waterfalls, lakes,glaciers,mountains along with fascinating Maori culture

Auckland Museum is a treat but personally Auckland is simply a "city of sails " and its things like Rotorua and Whackawera along with Bay of Islands, Kauri Forest that make the North Island

In the South Island........ Mt Cook and Tekapo along with Doubtful Sound , Milford Sound and up the west coast with its backdrop of rain forest against pristine beaches ( but watch out for sandflies ) are all sights to behold

Hi there, I live 2 hours south of Auckland, depending on what kind of things you would like to do, you can spend a day at Waiheke (why heck ee) Island, there are winderyis and some wonderful vineyards over there, lovely beaches too.

Other things of interest is the zoo, Kelly tarltons Aquarium, SKY tower, shopping, spend a few hours in the Viaduct basin - home of the Americas cup, from here you catch the ferry to Waiheke.

Head south of Auckland to Tauranga or Rotorua 2 - 3 hours drive to mud pools and Maori culture)

We are spending three full days before boarding the Sapphire for our Sydney to LA cruise in April. Several of us booked the Sydney Marriott on Priceline for $149/night; with a very active roll call, many people have organized tours so we're doing the Blue Mountains, a Sydney Harbor luncheon, etc. If you look at the link below in my signature, Lorraine from our roll call has a website that lists all of the tours that have been organized privately, descriptions and prices.

• 3 weeks later...

here2cruise,

Sorry for the delayed response but we were on the Diamond Princess, round trip from LA. We got off the ship yesterday (2/16) and we're in California with friends until the 21st.

We're taking cruisetour 7 after the Australian cruise ends so our time in Sydney won't begin until that is over.

After we leave Sydney, we're going to Kangaroo Island for a couple of days, then to Melbourne to visit our son's in-laws for a week or so (they invited us for 3-4 weeks).

I haven't checked, has a roll call been started?

Denny

Aside from touring New Zealand, the flight from the USA is the flight from hell that will live in your memory!! I wish we could have had a day in Auckland to recover before boarding. I was miserable all morning, and all I wanted was a shower and a bed! I would have enjoyed Auckland more if I hadn't been exhausted from the flight (from Baltimore!!!). Good news is that the cruise is from heaven.:D

I have just posted reviews in the Australia/New Zealand forums of our Sapphire cruise from Sydney to Auckland Feb 2-14 and a seperate thread with a review of our 8 day land tour precruise including 2+ days in Sydney. I would have liked to have had more time in that city. And had we made more time post cruise, I think I would have spent it in the Bay of Islands

We did Auckland to Sydney last January. Had 2 days Singapore, 2 days Auckland, 12 day cruise and then 3 days Sydney with a further day Singapore on the way back to London. I would say spend as long as you can in Sydney - there is masses to see and do - we only scratched the surface. The same goes for Auckland - lots to do. We absolutely loved it "down under" and plan to spend a lot more time down there after my husband retires at the end of the year. :D :D

we'll be on the same cruise...january 17!!! we will stay 3 days in sydney and 1 or 2 days in auckland...oh heck, maybe 3...cant make up our minds!

We will be on the same cruise too, will spend two days pre-cruise in Auckland, 7 days ship's landtour in Australia post-crusie and extra two days on our own.

Can't wait till January, 2009. :cool:

Ricky

I have just posted reviews in the Australia/New Zealand forums of our Sapphire cruise from Sydney to Auckland Feb 2-14 and a seperate thread with a review of our 8 day land tour precruise including 2+ days in Sydney. I would have liked to have had more time in that city. And had we made more time post cruise, I think I would have spent it in the Bay of Islands

Red Rox:

How do I find your reviews, I have had a tough time finding it. :(

Ricky

We will be on the same cruise too, will spend two days pre-cruise in Auckland, 7 days ship's landtour in Australia post-crusie and extra two days on our own.

Can't wait till January, 2009. :cool:

Ricky

Hi Ricky

I see that you sail Celebrity alot. Why on this itinerary did you choose Princess instead?

thanks

Archived