Hanging out on the ship?

TeachinNV

Hi all...

I'm getting ready for my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks, and I have another quick question.

Does anyone just hang out on the ship, and not go into the ports? I've been to Cabo before, and don't really want to do any excursions. I thought I might just stay on board in Cabo and in Ensenada. Is that totally strange??

Otherwise, I might just go ashore to do a little shopping. Is that safe to do by myself? Or, am I just being silly?

Just wondering about stuff... :rolleyes:

Lori

I sailed to the Grand Caymans three times. On the last trip, I just stay on board and enjoy reading a book on the top deck, eating lunch in the Lido and just enjoying the ship.

There are fewer people on board and it's totally relaxing. So just stay on the boat and have fun!!

This is the best part - I love to stay onboard while everyone else is getting off...:)

Feels like you have the entire ship to yourself -- you get alot of attention from crew (hang out with your favorite bartender, sipping something yummie and chewing the fat; or hit the spa for a treatment (prices are discounted while in port); or catch the movie in the cinema; read, sunbathe and nap by the pool ... there's lots of stuff to occupy yourself with.

Try it - you'll like it!;)

There are always folks who stay aboard. Many long time cruisers do that since they have BTDT many times at particular ports.

Hi all...

I'm getting ready for my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks, and I have another quick question.

Does anyone just hang out on the ship, and not go into the ports? I've been to Cabo before, and don't really want to do any excursions. I thought I might just stay on board in Cabo and in Ensenada. Is that totally strange??

Otherwise, I might just go ashore to do a little shopping. Is that safe to do by myself? Or, am I just being silly?

Lori

Hi TeachinNV!

I am going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. I ALWAYS cruise and travel solo. Because Cozumel seems to be on most itineraries in the Western Caribbean I usually just hop off to do a little shopping and get back on and enjoy the ship and her facilities. The spa always has specials and it is a great way to pamper yourself.

Of the places I have been, both Europe and the Caribbean, the ONLY place I ever felt uncomfortable alone was Montego Bay, and will probably stay on board if that happens to be a port stop on future cruises.

Enjoy your cruise the way you WANT TO......a big Benefit of Solo Travel. :cool:

Hi all...

Lori

We were in Cabo San Lucas in 2001, and took the tender to town for a walk around. There were dozens of Policia & security people, so you should not worry about going alone.

Steve

On my first cruise I felt like I HAD to get off in port and take an excursion etc. Now I feel like it's my vacation and if I want to stay onboard and sample the ship then that's fine. I finally gave up the thought that I may never get to this place again so I'd better make the most of it. Now my plan is to go again and again so if I feel like a nap or a spa treatment, I'll catch the port next time. :D Have a super cruise.

On my first solo cruise last month I stayed on board in both Cabo and Ensenada. It was wonderful. I practically had the whole ship to myself. I had been to both places before and believe me, if I hadn't I wouldn't have missed a thing. If you love to drink alone then you'll have a blast at both places, but otherwise, stay on board and enjoy yourself!

I just returned from my first cruise. I went with my DD and her BF but I may as well have been solo since I spent just about all the time alone. That's what I preferred, anyway. When we got to Ensenada, I loved hanging out on the ship. I don't like doing the tourist thing. Yuck. However, I did venture out ONCE - just in front of the ship's gangway is a little store that I visited just to pick up t-shirts for my grandson. Then, I scurried right back onto the ship.

I found the solo time very enjoyable on the ship when we were in ports. However, I did not like the sea day where everyone was aboard. Too many people, too much bustling about for me.

Hi all...

Lori

Lori, hi:) did you sail yet?

No, its not totally strange. There are times when the ship

is in port that I don't feel like moving at all;)

I find a lounge chair in the shade in the pool area, take a book,

buy a drink and just lay back and read a bit, take a sip, nap

a bit....and repeat:)

Do whatever you want......that is the wonderful thing about

solo cruising:D

Hi TeachinLV - I'm going thru a similar dilemma. Just went on a TA - transatlantic and all those sea days were PERFECT for me! My enjoyment is being on the cruiseship, not so much the ports. but I'm doing the Mexican Riviera for the first time and feel obligated to visit the port cities........

Archived