Mazatlán - Compiled Info : Tours, Golf, Carnival, Bulama, History & Economy

WarmWaters

I have done some research by compiling info from various threads here and from other sources, as I am dreaming about a MR cruise, hopefully soon. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed, I have learned so much already. Please help me edit this info for accuracy, as I have never been to Mazatlan. Please feel free to add any useful information that I may have missed.

Pacifico Brewery Beer Tour - "Walk through the brewery and learn the brewing process, fascinating beer facts and the history of Mazatlan’s world famous Pacifico Beer. Take a bearing on the tallest building you can see, which is the brewery, as you walk out to the street and head out there, 30 minutes walk. Or take a taxi $5. Brewery was started by three Germans in 1900. They are also the makers of Modelo, Negra Modelo, Corona, Victoria, Estrella and Montejo beer. The alcohol content in Mexico is less then 4.5%. Visitors can tour the brewery on their own for free. 3 tours per day lasting 90 minutes each at 9 and 11 am & 4 pm. Make a reservation 2 days in advance. No shorts, no backpacks, & no cameras. Free samples.

Jungle Tour - Bo by boat through Mazatlan's harbour to the wildlife preserve of StoneIsland and wind through the lush green waterway channels in the mangroves. A shaded, open-air small boat/catamaran takes you around the bay to unspoiled, quiet beaches and a tropical jungle teeming with exotic animals like armadillos, iguanas, raccoons, pelicans, pink, blue, white heron, amid lush vegetation. You get to see the lush mangrove channels south of Mazatlan where many species of sea & shore birds migrate. Home to pelicans, blue herons, sea hawks and osprey. Bird Watching tour goes through the Large Estuary by boat from the harbour south winding thru the water channels that snake through the lush mangroves. This is a federally protected area with over 250 known species. Also visit a family owned cocos plantation. Tours are offered to the El Verde Sea Turtle Conservation Center, as well as to Teacapán, El Caimanero and StoneIsland. A jungle tour of San Blas or Guayabitos for the chance to come face to face with a crocodile or iguana. Mazatlán is truly a birdwatchers haven due to its blend of habitats, including secluded beaches, coastal wetlands, rolling hills and spectacular canyons with pine and oak forests. Bird walks in the SierraMadreMountains or kayak through mangrove-lined coastal flats.

Golf - If I only had one day to play golf I would consider El Tigre in PV or Cabo, which was absolutely the best. Estrella del Mar is the best place to play in Mazatlan versus El Cid. Both cost about $110 but Estrella Del Mar is much better and has several holes right on the ocean, it is beautiful. The cruise ships only offer the El Cid. It can be very hot & muggy, bring insect repellent.

El Cid - The 27 hole course features the new Lee Trevino Marina Nine, the only Trevino signature course in Mexico. With beautiful Bermuda grass greens and fairways, the resort complex is also the only Latin American site of America’s Favourite Golf Schools. The course at El Cid was in bad shape and is in need of some serious overhauling. El Cid was the least favourite. The caddy rides on the back of the cart. The course is 3-9 holes. We played a few holes on one course and then drove to another. It was hard to keep up what course you were on. I have played El Cid several times, it is ok. I had read many negative reviews. Recommend taking the ships excursion as it is quite a drive, north of the Golden Zone.

Estrella del Mar - This 18 hole course was recently built by the world renowned Robert Trent Jones and sport scenic views along almost two miles of coastline. Located on StoneIsland near the airport, the course follows the coastline and is wonderful; it also has a small turtle rearing pond that is quite interesting. It boasts a modern clubhouse facility. Paid the summer rate of $80 pp. The course was very nice. There were several holes right on the beach. Lots of workers wanting to help you egg carry bags, clean their clubs, etc. http://www.teetimesmexico.com/NewGol...golfCourse=704 : lists the club rental fees. You are also assigned a caddy and the price includes a cart. I just call the golf course directly and book a tee time. It is a 30 minute taxi ride out to the course and it is well worth it. Booked with King David Tours, they have a package to Estrella del Mar for around $105 that includes transportation to & from the ship and a cart. Clubs rent ($35); $10 for my wife (not playing) for the bus to the course and $15 at the course for her to ride the cart. King David only accepts Pay Pal for payment and seem very cooperative is setting up reservations, even if you haven't paid yet.

Mazatlan’s Mardi Gras Carnival, a weeklong party (6 days in early February) is the third largest in the world, topped in size and revelry only by those in Rio de Janeiro and New Orleans. Dating back to 1898, this Mexican-style Mardi Gras on the 5 days preceding Ash Wednesday features round-the-clock street dancing, masquerades, naval battles with fireworks in the bay, dances, the coronation of the Carnival queen, outdoor concerts, all-night street parties, series of folk dances, balls, flower games, parades of floats perfectly decorated, costumes, a multitude of animated people, and riotous merry makers, which by this time includes everyone in town. With music of La Tambora Sinaloense, the traditional band music of Mazatlán, the city turns into a huge folk party. Every night during Carnival week, all along the Olas Altas oceanfront drive, the streets fill with music from roving mariachi groups, local traditional bandas sinaloenses, sporting lots of brass instruments and electrified bands. The merrymaking begins the week before Ash March and climaxes on Shrove Tuesday, when musicians, dancers, and people out for a good time pack the malecon. It all ends at midnight on Fat Tuesday. The following day, the Catholic Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and the party is over. The faithful ceremoniously receive crosses of ashes on their foreheads at church, and Lent begins, a period of fasting.

Bulama - Mazatlán is one of the last places on earth to play the pre-Columbian game of bulama. It was originally banned by the Spaniards and Catholic Church due to the game ending in a ritual - sacrifice and supposed magic properties of the ball involved. The game consists of two teams who try to manipulate a large ball (which in older times was stone) into a high ring on a wall. The best place to view this ancient tradition is at El Quelite, a town 30 miles north of Mazatlán.

Economy - Mazatlan enjoys a healthy and stable economy. Fishing is number one, followed by tourism with more than 10,000 hotel rooms. Other industries are Pacifico Beer, Marino Coffee, shipyards, vegetable canning/freezing and some manufacturing plants.

Nearly 18 000 tons of shrimp are processed and exported each year, making Mazatlan the shrimp capital of the world. In a recent year, the fleet of 600 vessels harvested 63,000 tons of tuna and 57,000 tons of sardines. Mazatlan is Mexico’s largest and busiest commercial fishing port and the largest port between Los Angeles and the Panama Canal. Millions of pounds of shrimp, tuna and sardines are processed here and exported each year, mainly to the US and Japan, giving substantive employment to a portion of the city's people. The two most important catches are tuna and shrimp, 6,000 marlin, sail and other billfish are also caught here in an average year. It’s also home to Latin America’s biggest fleet of commercial shrimp vessels.

Mazatlan was the first Mexican port (resort) to develop a tourism infrastructure. Initially, tourists were lured here for the deep sea sport fishing of marlin and sailfish. The best season for striped marlin, swordfish, sailfish and tuna is from January to May. The port is also home to the largest deep sea sport fishing fleet in Mexico, with an annual catch of over 10,000 sailfish, the trinity of black, blue and striped marlin, sea bass, yellow fin tuna, Dorado and even grouper are caught daily in the surrounding waters. A full-day fishing charter with equipment and guides start around $250. There are freshwater lakes nearby offering the some of the best bass fishing in the world. Mazatlan has the biggest marina grouping in all of Mexico, very popular with boaters. Also great dove, duck and quail hunting.

History - The original people of the area, the Totorames, survived as hunters and fishermen and were skilled in the art of exquisite pottery, with elaborate black and red designs, indicative of a high culture. But unlike their more famous inland neighbours, the Aztecs, the Totorames left behind no great architectural pyramids or structural works. Their civilization ultimately ceased 200 years before the arrival of the Spaniards. The Chametla tribe did manage to survive and they put up fierce resistance when the infamous Spanish Conquistador Cortez searched for passages to Baja California. Eventually the Spaniards conquered them when Nuno de Guzman, had the natives slaughtered and officially founded a settlement here in 1531. Although towns were first settled in this area about 400 years ago, a permanent colony was not established until the early 1820's. Francisco de Ibarra, a conquistador/explorer, discovered gold and silver in the Sierra Madre hills above the city. Mazatlán was first mentioned in 1602 as the name of a small village, 30 miles to the south.

It soon became an important conduit for gold and silver from Spain's far-flung colonies. And where there was gold, there were usually pirates. In 1603, English and French pirates began patrolling the waters, and would bury their gold in the coves along the coast, to hide it from the Spanish galleons. During the colonial era, it was a major port from which ships laden with gold and silver set off for Spain on long journeys round Cape Horn. The colonial government established a small fort near the harbour and watchtowers atop the hill to control the pirates who used to attack the Spanish galleons. Although the pirates were gone by 1800, legends persist of troves of stolen silver and gold, buried in hidden caves along the Mazatlán coast.

The early 1800’s saw the arrival of Germans, Italians and North Americans as they developed the city as a port for shipping cargo. Mazatlan itself was not developed by the Spanish nor the Indians, but by a group of very enterprising German immigrants who developed the port facilities in order to import agricultural equipment. They were the creators of Pacifico Beer and Banda Music. By the end of the 1800’s, Mazatlán was a thriving international seaport, the second busiest port south of San Francisco. It became an important port in the 19th century as gold and silver flowed from mines in the mountains and agriculture developed nearby.

In 1821 Mexico gained its independence from Spain and Mazatlan began to prosper as a port city as well as the capital of the state of Sinaloa. The Port of Mazatlan was occupied by American navy troops in 1847 during the Mexican war, known here as the American Invasion. In 1864, while the US was preoccupied by its own Civil War, the French attacked the city, and managed to control the port for the next several years. For a short time in 1871 the British occupied the port. These incursions by outsiders gave rise to the tradition of bars on the windows and iron fences with menacing spikes, which have come to be quite ornamental (as well as a standard security system) in many of Mazatlan's wealthier neighbourhoods. More trouble lay ahead during the years of 1910-1917 which saw the Mexican Revolution. The years following the revolution brought great prosperity through the trade of fishing. The economy improved after a new port was built in the 1950's. Shipbuilding was launched. Tourists started coming in the 1930s, mainly for fishing and hunting. Mazatlan has probably introduced more Americans and Canadians to Mexico than any other resort. “

I found some other tours on these boards:

Randi’s Happy Horses http://www.randishappyhorses.com

Mazatlan Frank http://www.mazatlan-frank.com

I have done some research by compiling info from various threads here and from other sources, as I am dreaming about a MR cruise, hopefully soon. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed, I have learned so much already. Please help me edit this info for accuracy, as I have never been to Mazatlan. Please feel free to add any useful information that I may have missed.

This is very helpful. Are you also doing this for other places, live Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta? Here's a couple places for PV if you are:

Krystal Hotel http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/mexico/puerto-vallarta/nh-krystal-puerto-vallarta.html

Millenium Massage (at Krystal's) http://www.go2vallarta.com/milleniummassage

I had a good laugh just now :-) Thanks for the encouraging kind words. I am glad you find it useful. I very much enjoy doing this research. This time I started early to make sure I am fully up to speed as to what is there to be experienced on our next cruise. We are not excursion people, so I dont delve deeply into the tours in general. We like to explore on our own, then its ussually very useful to be able to hit the ground running when in a new place.

I have started on Cabo, but dont hold your breath :-) To get together and condense it all, takes me many happy hours. From what I have seen so far for Cabo, its a small place with not so much to see, compared to Maz. Still many cruise ships will leave, before I will have it ready :-)

I do promise to share my findings with you all on Cabo hopefully soon :-)

Mazatlan info was excellent but how about one on Cabo, and as detailed. Leaving on Dawn in two days

Drivers Ed,

We will be going on this cruise 3/1. Help a fellow Edmond couple and let us know what you find out.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi - quick question (I thought I posted but doesn't appear). We're taking the Johan and Sandra blue agave tour with the kids and it claims to return at 3 pm. We have a 6 pm sailing and want to get dropped off in El Centro - visit El Mercado, the cathedral, the neighborhood in general - will it work and allow us time to walk/taxi back to the port? THANKS!

Warm Waters ! good job ! thanks for sharing with us. Here's my addition. While at Mazatlan I agree that a day spent with Mazatlan Frank is a day well spent and reasonable too. We have toured with him and had a fantastic time, but he has gotten so popular that unless you book with him way in advance, he won't have room. So last Wednesday was our second day spent with Humberto Ruiz (humber5277@hotmail.com) cell 669 134-6708 (from the states I think you dial 011 in front of the other numbers).

Using some of your info and that of many others here, we were able to put together a custom tour with Humberto. He met us at the shopping area where the shuttles from the ship drop you off. Spent the whole day with him, including many stops on the way up in to the Sierra Madres and a stop for lumch at "Tony's on the Beach" on the return to town. He had cold drinks in the cooler in back of the van. Wonderful time, and worth every penny of the $40pp he charged our group of six Plus, as he works with "Mazatlan Van Tours" we knew he had radio and Phone communication with his company and should anything have happened to his van, someone could be contacted right away to get us back to the ship in time. This is very important when touring on your own.

Thanks WarmWaters and hope my addition helped you or others.

Hi - quick question (I thought I posted but doesn't appear). We're taking the Johan and Sandra blue agave tour with the kids and it claims to return at 3 pm. We have a 6 pm sailing and want to get dropped off in El Centro - visit El Mercado, the cathedral, the neighborhood in general - will it work and allow us time to walk/taxi back to the port? THANKS!

I don't know if anyone has answered this but if you really want to see the old town area you may be cutting it short. I would imagine you need to be back on your ship by 5:30. That does give you 2 1/2 hours given that the tour with Johan and Sandra doesnt run long or have any problems. Then the old town area really isnt within walking distance of the cruise terminal so if you got dropped off by Johan back at the cruise terminal you would then need to take a taxi to old town, walk around and taxi back. It sounds quick and rushed to me but just my opinion. Well, just looking at your post again, if they will drop you in old town Mazatlan you should be fine. If it is much later than 3 though I wouldn't have them drop you. I must say, Old Town Mazatlan with the Cathedral, market, etc is very interesting. It's a bit crazy and busy but I do love going there. Hope this makes sense?

• 4 years later...

I was just clearing my pc and saw all this info I compiled a long time ago.. maybe this will help someone going there shortly.

"Mazatlán – Pearl of the Pacific

“Mah-Saht-LAHN has 16 gorgeous miles of public beachfront, the longest stretch of uninterrupted beach in all of Mexico. The city is internationally known as the Pearl of the Pacific. It nicely balances its double identity as México's largest commercial port while being one of the country's most popular beach resorts.

Mazatlan means "land of deer" in Nahuatl, the ancient language of the Aztecs, after the herds of white tail deer that once migrated along the beautiful countryside. The local baseball team is called the Venados, Spanish for deer. Mazatlan, with a population of 600 000 is Mexico’s second largest coastal city after Acapulco. There are no ruins nearby. A pyramid was discovered south of Mazatlan a few years back. It’s the closest major Mexican resort to the US, 745 miles south of Arizona and 1,078-km (674 miles ) northwest of Mexico City. Situated at the mouth of the Sea of Cortez, almost directly across from Cabo San Lucas. An overnight vehicle and passenger ferry leaves from La Paz and arrives in Mazatlan the next morning, a 17 hour trip. It is on a railroad between the US and Mexico City. Mazatlan has Mexico’s largest natural deep water harbour. Rafael Buelna International Airport is 14 miles southeast of the hotel area.

Set at the foot of the Sierra Madre Mountains, on a peninsula overlooking Olas Altas Bay, Mazatlan is 22 kms south of the Tropic of Cancer, virtually parallel with Hawaii. The prevailing climate in this north-western corner of the state of Sinaloa, is subtropical. For 7 months of the year, Mazatlan is very dry. The hot, rainy season lasts from July through October. January through March is cooler, while July thru Sept tends to be hot and humid. Time zone is the same as the Central US.

Port - Cruise ships dock at the busy cargo dock. For safety reasons, you are taken on a free shuttle to the terminal, which runs every 5 minutes and takes 3 minutes. Here you'll find a festive atmosphere with many shops, a restaurant, bar, shops, restrooms, long distance phone/internet access, a flea market, postal booth for stamps, a pharmacy with ****** and other medications without a prescription. Time share reps will offer you a free all-inclusive (food, drink, and facilities) day pass and free round-trip taxi, in exchange for you attending their time share presentation.

Getting Around - Mazatlan has two distinct centers: To the north is the tourist zone, the Golden Zone and the other is El Centro (Old downtown) that are linked by Avenue Del Mar (Malecón/ the Strip) a 17 mile scenic beachfront avenue, that curves along the waterfront. It's a one-mile (20 minute) walk to Old Mazatlan. The roads are confusing because none of the streets run parallel, print a map before you go. Walkers should be aware that drivers aren't very pedestrian-cautious and the curbs in Old Mazatlan are quite high. It’s an older city, it was built to cater to foot traffic, not cars. To Old Mazatlan $5 for the taxi, not per person. You will need a cab to get to the Golden Zone (four miles from the pier) where most tourist hotels are located. The best time we had, was to hire an open air taxi right at the dock. He charged $100 for the entire day, took us anywhere we wanted to go for about 8 hours. A quick city tour in one of the Pickup truck 'taxis' $30 per hour for (8) of us. The first time we took a pulmonia to Plaza Machado, toured Old Town and walked back. Last time we walked to Old Town and back.

Taxis/Pulmonias/Busses - At the terminal building a big sign gives you the suggested rates of the taxis to the different areas. They do not have a meter, so they charge as they want. Ask how much first, and agree on the price before you get in. If you think it’s too high, hail another taxi and your driver will usually come to his senses. Don’t be afraid to negotiate, as this is part of life in Mexico. Respond with a lower amount. Don't get in, until you both agree on a price. You can tip about 10%, but it isn't required. From the ship to the Golden Zone : takes 25 mins, $10. Regular taxis are painted green/white or red/ white and are cheaper than Pulmonia’s.

Pulmonia’s - open-air golf cart VW’s, with no doors and no seatbelts, takes 4 passengers, and are unique to Mazatlán. Pulmonia means pneumonia in Spanish, a reference to the vehicle's breeziness, this is what you could get after riding around in one when its cold. They started putting them together in the 1960´s, originally brought in from the US and were Cushman and 3 wheels. In the 1970´s as the dollar went up so high, they could not import anymore, so they started making their own version out of the old Volkswagens, that is when they changed to 4 wheels. Aurigas, are red Nissan pick ups with a roof in the back and benches, seats 9 people. You'll find the drive along the ocean-side boulevard wonderfully scenic. We chose a Pulmonia and negotiated a 2 hour tour of the Malecon/ Gold Zone/Old Mazatlan for $40.

The bus system is great: cheap, uncrouded, air conditioned, and easy to figure out. The bus drivers will make change and will also stop to pick you up or let you off anywhere you'd like. The Sabalo Centro line runs from the heart of Old downtown, through the Golden Zone, and continues to the North, with stops at the Cathedral and the Mercado market. The Playa Sur line will take you all the way down to the lighthouse. Try to carry change with you when you board. To catch a bus, either wait at one of the designated bus stops or hail the bus by waving your arm when the driver is about a block away. Normally they will stop for you. For a cheap city tour, pick a bus line and ride to the end of the line and back again. Drivers are obligated to issue a ticket to each passenger. Busses are the cheapest means of transportation, fares range from 4 to 8 pesos. Routes and stops are generally written on the front of the bus at the top, or on the windshield. Most tourist destinations are easily accessible.

Bus route map : http://www.maztravel.com/maz/mapbus.html

Maps : http://www.allaboutmazatlan.com/areamaps.htm

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg/141_mazatlanarea.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=cAhRmoMxN40C&dq=mazatlan+cannon&jtp=169#PPA175,M1

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?location=CUcbBJ93Ky30Hkw2y5yzSBIGYcIsG3o0T0WhX0C1Z9%2fRJjP%2fx4qxkLicIRi5viJDDvLzUTtcLZE%3d&address=&city=mazatlan&state=&country=MX

Central /downtown streets/sights marked: http://www.pacificpearl.com/Images/map3.jpg

Walking Tour Old Mazatlán : http://www.spanishlink.org/study/walking.html

Walking tour : http://www.mazconnection.com/pages/mapwalk.htm

El Centre + Golden Zone : http://www.advantagemexico.com/mazatlan/map.html

DownTown Mazatlan: http://www.maztravel.com/maz/mapcentro.html

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/mazatlan-map-interactive/panoramas/mazatlan-mexico-map-C7.shtml

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/mazatlan-map-interactive/panoramas/downtown-mazatlan-mexico-map-B1.shtml

Google earth : http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=mxmzt

The Virgin of the Point monument - At the harbour, between the cruise ships and the La Paz ferries, a golden, serene-looking Madonna figure stands out in the skyline, always surrounded by fresh flowers. An inscription at her feet reads : "Mother of the church and queen of the sea and universe."

Stone Island – Closest beach to the ship, you can see it from the ship. Look past the triangle shaped rock with the trees growing down the slanted side. The dark green plumes of Mexico’s third-largest coconut grove follow the length of the wide beach. The island is an excellent place to enjoy beautiful, quiet beaches and try fresh seafood, horseback riding, ATV’s, catamarans, banana boats, coconut trees, umbrella-shaded areas with lounging chairs/hammocks. Stone Island is a peninsula, and not an island anymore. Landfill from the airport construction has joined it to the mainland. Not a great beach for snorkelling. A village with 4000 residents, a laid back place with mainly farmers and fisherman. Small houses nestle between stands of coconut trees with 12 miles of wide pristine sandy beaches. One must be born on the island in order to reside there. Nearby is Tortuga Island where sea lions rest during the months of November through April to give birth to their babies. There are 10+ restaurants that have shrimp, you eat right on the sand, with hammocks to lounge in. Sit under their palapas, drink beers or margaritas and look out at the beautiful beach. No shopping areas, but there are vendors wandering around. You really get an old Mexico feel there, its not crowded with a more relaxed and rustic atmosphere as opposed to the high-rise Golden Zone. Huge 5”sanddollars, lots of shells.

We picked Victor's which was at the far end. Prices for food (shrimp) and beer are less expensive than on the mainland. Incredible huge seafood lunch with ice cold beer, rustic restrooms and showers. Get a plate that has both garlic & coconut shrimp. We hung out in front of Victor's on his lounge chairs until we were ready to eat. Victor's out weighs Moloky 5 to one. The food is excellent, the prices are great and the service is good. You do get more for your money at Victor's than at Moloky. Molokay they have a lot of space all under palm trees and palapas with tables in the sand. Pronounced mo-lo-ki, it has great Garlic Shrimp, I think it's around $20. We like Lelli's, they supply chairs and lounges at no charge, food and drinks are very reasonable. Garlic and Coconut Shrimp was great. We did El Papagayo and had a delicious lunch. The view was great. Lety's, Victors and Pili's are all together at the end. We went to Pili's, he had an ATV to rent as well as horses.

We rented ATVs, which was excellent because the beach there is wide and perfect for ATVing, with palm lined miles of coastline to ourselves. ATVs($35/hour) for rent, but not any jet skis. (waiter can arrange for you). We paid $25/ hour and rented from the guy just before Lety's. You can fit 3 people on. Towels available to rent for $3. 30 mins horse back rides $5 right behind Molokay’s.

Coco Loco rum drink served in a baby coconut, where they poured out the coconut milk, poured in rum, ice and some fruit juice, and then poured the coconut milk back in, and handed you the coconut. YUMM! We were at Molekay in Jan and all they had was beer. Victor's does not have Margaritas. The restaurant I went to, was several "huts" down from Victors, they definitely DID have filtered water (they all do, from what I understand), and they did have margaritas. You can get a margarita at Lety's which is right next to Victors. Very potent. There are many restaurants to choose from but Victor's really is the best bang for your buck.

How to get to Stone Island : It’s a short boat ride across Navigation Channel. There are 2 ways to get to a water taxi. Depending on which place you leave from, is the way the restaurants on Stone Island are lined up.

1. Take a taxi to the embarcadero (dock) closest to the Navel base, they tend to be more reliable. Taxi 30 pesos, $3 (7 minute ride) to the water taxi dock. The crossing takes 8 minutes, cost is 15 pesos, ($1.50us roundtrip) once on Stone Island Carmilita's restaurant would be first.

2. Walking – this way is closer to the ship and you can walk there in 6 minutes. As you exit the port area, go out the gate where the taxi's drive thru and turn left. Walk about 4 blocks to where the street makes a sharp right turn, cross the street and walk straight onto a gravel road along a fence where you will see 100’s of new cars. At the end of the fence & path, is a little yellow ticket booth on the waters edge. Buy a round trip ticket for 15 pesos ($1.50), Hold onto your ticket. When you arrive on the island, someone will be there to offer you a taxi ride. It was faster to walk. If you prefer to walk, there are 2 ways to get to the restaurants. 1. Go straight up the ramp and walk straight across the little gravel hill, to the beach, then turn left and you will see a beautiful stretch of beach in front of you. – Its a 20 minute walk down the beach (3/4 of a mile) to Victor's. We walked to Molokay about 7 restaurants down 400 yards. Once on Stone Island Maria and Lulu's restaurant would be first. 2. Or you can turn left and walk on the dirt road for a block till you see another dirt road going to the right. This will also take you to the beach and the restaurants. The walk down the beach is a nice, easy 10 minute walk.

Both docks charge the same price. The water taxis are row boats with motors on the back, holds 11 people and runs back & forth every 10 minutes. Last trip back from Stone Island is 5 p.m.

Once you get to Stone Island, if you don’t want to walk, you can either hop on one of the pick truck taxis with a bench on the back, or you can ride through the village in a charming horse drawn 2 wheel wagon ($2) that will take you along the beach to the restaurants. We felt transportation was unnecessary, it was a pleasant walk. Lety's and Victor's are almost towards the end. When you leave, walk back the same way to the water taxi. The taxi came back in the afternoon and took us back to the water taxi dock. $2. The fish market, near Playa Norte beach (a 10-minute ride by water taxi) can also be reached from Stone Island.

Near the cruise ship dock rises Mazatlán’s tallest hill, Cerro Creston, topped by the El Faro lighthouse. It's the second highest natural elevation functioning lighthouse in the world (Gibraltar's is higher, but not in operation currently), towering 515-foot (157 meter) over the harbour. Work performed on Creston Island in the 1930’s linked the island with the city by use of an elaborate breakwater. Along the jetty/landfill that connects Cerro Creston to the mainland, lay the docks and anchored boats of the sport fishing fleets. Originally built to help spot pirates, the red and white lighthouse can been seen 45 nautical miles out into the ocean. The lamp had been handcrafted in Paris, France, and it was formed by a big oil lamp with mirrors to enhance the light. It began to shine in 1879. Since it was static, on a distance, it was often mistaken as a star. By 1905 the lamp was changed to a revolving lamp. The lighthouse is equipped with the latest modern technology, including two backup generators, a spare light, and a system which transmits a detailed graphic image of the harbour to a ship's radar.

Climb up there for a spectacular view of the city and coast. No charge. From the terminal it’s an easy 35 min walk to the base of the hill, 10 blocks away. As you exit, you turn left to the end of the road (about 3 blocks) then turn right and walk past the ferry terminal, past a school and a left turn onto the small road that passes by the sport fishing fleets to the end of the street & where the pavement ends. Or take a taxi to the base of the hill, 40 pesos ($4), 5 min trip. From there you will see a dirt road that goes to your right. Half the walk is a gravel road and the other half, steps. A very good trail with cement/stone steps, at the corners of the switch backs near the top. 30 minutes to hike to the top and around every turn is really beautiful views of the entire area. Back down takes 15 min. Refreshment stand at the foot of the hill. Take water. Go early, its hot. La Gruta del Crestón, directly beneath the lighthouse, is a cave that was supposed to be a pirate treasure trove.

The Malecón, the city’s main artery, is Mexico's longest and prettiest waterfront promenade, following the coast for 17 kms from Old Mazatlan past the Golden Zone to Cerritos Beach. A wide attractive waterfront boulevard that follows the curve of Mazatlan's large bay, adorned with colourful stonework, benches and monuments. It changes name five times as it winds northward. From beneath the rugged perch of the El Faro Lighthouse, the malecón curves past the hotels and sidewalk cafés of the Olas Altas neighborhood. From there it snakes along a succession of rocky points and sandy beaches, continuing through the glitzy line-up of the Golden Zone and further north. Its one continuous smooth sidewalk with no intersections to cross. From the ship to where you could start at Olas Altas, a 10 minute taxi ride for around 60 pesos - $6.

El Centro/Old Mazatlán /Downtown – Walking from the ship take 25 minutes. Real easy, enjoyable walk as you are going through neighbourhoods and can see how people live, with mansions and rundown houses close to each other. Old Mazatlan is 10 mins by taxi from the ship, $6. This is the nicest part of the city. Mazatlán is home to one of Mexico’s oldest and largest historical districts, with a surprising number of 19th century neoclassic architecture. Old Mazatlán is a 180-block district, containing 479 buildings, all designated historical landmarks with inspiring European architecture. Today it’s under consideration for designation as a UN World Heritage Site. Old Mazatlan is configured in the same manner as a Spanish colonial town with numerous small squares, old buildings with inner courtyards, and narrow streets. The construction styles include a noticeable Spanish, French and German influence.

1. The Market (El Mercado) - Start your tour of downtown here at a typical Mexican flea/street market, at Juarez and Ocampo Streets. This market boasts the largest offerings of fresh fruit and meat on the west coast, its one square block of stalls offering vegetables, fish, meat, groceries, souvenirs, arts and crafts, leather, jewellery, and clothing in old Mexican style. The ambience is colonial with historic buildings and sidewalk cafes nearby. The market was opened in 1899. The Victorian big tin-roofed market is modeled after the work of French architect Alfred Eiffel (yes, that Eiffel). There are small restaurants in the upper level surrounding the market, however better restaurants are within 1 block on both sides (west & east). Venture a few streets south to the restored colonial section of town to view colourfully painted homes with wrought-iron trim that line the streets. Bargaining is encouraged. Locals shop here, where one can admire the produce of the country side, old structures and local ironwork. Taxi from the ship $5, 10 minutes.

2. From the Mercado, walk 1 block southwest to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception - Corner Juárez & de Marzo Streets. The old quarter’s centerpiece is the Basilica with an interesting mix of Spanish, Moorish, Neo-Gothic, Baroque and Neo-Classical architectural styles. The two blue and gold towers with Moorish motifs are covered by yellow tiles. The most important building, in all of Mexico’s old cities was the Cathedral. This one is considered the most beautiful cathedral in the northwest of Mexico.

The Cathedral is the world's only Roman Catholic Church with the Star of David displayed in each of its 28 stained-glass windows, making it architecturally one of Mexico's more unusual churches. During the course of construction, money was getting low. Jews from Germany donated a large amount of money to help. In honour of this group, the church placed 28 Stars of David over the windows of the church, to represent 28 days in the Jewish month. Construction begun in 1856, the cathedral was built on the filled lagoon site of an original Indian temple. Mazatlán’s turbulent history delayed its completion until 1899 and final elevation in 1937 to the status of a basilica. The facade is divided by pillars, with tiles decorating the inner doorway.

Inside, the interior is of baroque style. There are numerous breathtaking statues and murals of marble angels. In its main facade, is a cosy porch, something unusual for Mexican cathedrals. The image of the city’s patron saint, the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception stands over the glided, hand-carved baroque triple altar, while overhead the ceiling has ornate round gold-vaulted Renaissance domes and pious, pointed gothic arches. Two of the altars are to the sides of the main altar and both rest on the flanks of the main entrance altar, with the tomb of the first Bishop who had the diocese of Mazatlán. Along the sides are murals with religious scenes of angles and small altars. The Pipe organ is more than a 100 years old. Only 2 of these exist in the world, the other one is in a German museum and cannot be repaired. On the left, as you exit, is the shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Visit for free, donations towards restoration are welcomed. No shorts allowed, respect those that are there to pray. Open 6 am -1 pm. and 4-8 pm. Taxi from the ship 10 minutes, $ 6.

3. Across the street (de Marzo and Benito Juarez) and in front of the Cathedral is Plaza Principal/Plaza de la Revolucion /Plaza Republica, the oldest plaza in town. This is the city’s main town square and central gathering place. A wrought-iron elevated bandstand/ gazebo graces its center. This small landscaped park is surrounded by gardens and benches with vendors offering food, art and crafts. There are two large fountains and Victorian iron benches, perfect for people-watching. The plaza has a gazebo that looks like a 50’s diner on the bottom and an impressive Victorian wrought-iron bandstand on top with lush trees around. The plaza is bigger, busier and has less charm than Plaza Machado.

4. On the east side of the Plaza is the Palacio Municipal (City Hall), built in the 1850’s. Overlooking the square, on the eve before Independence Day, September 16, the mayor shouts from the balcony the traditional Grito. The ceremony commemorates the call of arms made by Hidalgo in 1810 that finally lead to independence. The Post Office is nearby.

5. From there walk 2 blocks southwest to the impressive Angela Peralta Theatre, (corner Carnival & Constitución Str ) named after one of the world's great opera divas. Now a national monument, it occupies one side of the attractive Plazuela Machado square.

This was the dream of Manual Rubio who started the construction. He tragically drowned when the ship he was traveling on sank. His widow had the building finished. Surrounded by tree-lined streets this Italian-style movie theatre/opera house, was built between 1865 and 1874. Featuring a Neo-Classical facade and rows of balconies overlooking the main stage, this is the oldest theatre in Mazatlan and the city’s principle cultural venue. Inside this opera house are marble statues, elegant woodwork, loges, and sumptuous red velvet curtains. Massive doors, set between stone columns, lead through thick adobe walls into a marble-floored lobby with an ornate dome. The 841-seat Italian-style theatre has three levels of balconies, two facades, and, in true tropical style, a lobby with no roof.

The opera company of the renowned diva, Angela Peralta, the Mexican Nightingale, arrived in 1883 in Mazatlan and gave a number of enthusiastically received recitals. Coming from Europe and carried to her hotel by her Mexican fans, she sang from her balcony to a large crowd. Although she was scheduled to give a formal performance, she succumbed to yellow fever and died before the performance, at the age of 38. Tragically, Peralta and 30 members of her company fell victim to a disastrous yellow fever/ cholera epidemic, which claimed more than 2,500 Mazatlán lives.

Throughout the years, it served as an opera house, theatre, boxing match venue and was a movie cinema since the 1960´s. After that the building was not used for many years. It was in such bad shape from storm damage that a ficus tree was growing where the stage was supposed to be, with trees and vegetation growing inside. In 1975 Hurricane Olivia tore down the roof and almost entirely destroyed the inside. Workers recovered most decorations and re-created the original design. Long a ruin, it was painstakingly restored. The President of Mexico conducted its second inaugural opening in 1992.

The theatre continues to operate hosting ballets, opera, jazz concerts, folkloric/modern dance, symphonic, musical and theatrical performances. Its home to Delfos, one of the most important contemporary dance companies in Mexico. Also the Mazatlán Professional School of Contemporary Dance, is housed here and draws students from all over the world. Hailed at one time as the most luxurious theatre west of Paris, the auditorium plays host to regular performances by the Sinaloa Orchestra of the Arts and the Ballet Folclorico de Sinaloa, the folklore ballet of Sinaloa, as well as numerous guest artists. The election of the Carnival Queen is held here very year as well as parades and balls. A museum on the upper floor has old photographs and displays chronicling the theatre’s history. The opulent interior is open daily. Admission $1.30 towards maintenance of the building.

The oldest church in town is the small, nice Church of San Jose, (Calle Neveria & La Campana) Built in 1835.

6. Close and south of the theatre is Nidart Leather Gallery - corner of Carnival & Libertad Streets, selling wonderful hand made art in leather including masks, faces, bodies and pins, pottery, sculptures, dolls, and paintings. A highlight of Old Mazatlan for us, were visiting here, see the old house walls painted with incredible figures. Admire the Indian Princess made with clay which is a fountain in the middle of the house. Unique to Mazatlan. The gallery is also the artist’s house, they will give you a map to other artisan shops within walking distance. The leather masks make unique gifts.

7. Next to the Theatre and 4 blocks southwest from the Cathedral is the small attractive Plaza Machado, located at Avenues Constitucion and Carnaval, a 25 minute walk from the ship and two blocks away from the beach, a shady, bench-lined town square in the historic heart of Mazatlán. The immediate area around the square have restaurants, sidewalk cafés, museums, street performers, stately old balconied buildings, galleries, cobbled streets, colourful homes and towering trees. The plaza also serves as the site for music and dance fests with live music in the evenings. Cafe Pacifico on the corner, it reeks rough history with a bear skin wall hanging. The oldest town bakery is located here. At the west end of the Plaza, along Calle Heriberto Frías, walk beneath the lovely arches of Portales de Cannobio, an arcade of the old estate house of Italian apple grower Luis Cannobio. There are many restored historical buildings that date back to the late 1800's in this area with huge windows in arch neo classic style.

Built on marshy, reclaimed land, this plaza is named after the Filipino shipping and banking magnate, Juan Machado, who donated the land to build what is now the city’s second oldest plaza. He came to Mazatlan in 1828 as a merchant who made a fortune in silver and gold mining.

Plaza Machado is also the traditional site of Carnival. Before the big party begins, the famous Papaquis (people in cars playing lively music) are carried out to liven up the people and get ready for the big party. The Quema del Mal Humor (Bad Temper Burning), including the crowning of the Queen, and a great variety of cultural events gather here for this famous festivity every February. This is the one time of year when the party crowds from the Golden Zone descend onto Old Mazatlán, the energy is considerably ramped up as the square and surrounding streets fill with elaborately costumed revellers carousing well into the early morning. Four blocks away is Playa Olas Altas beach. From Plaza Machado to the cliff divers are a pleasant 20 minute walk.

The oldest building on the square is the Casa Machado Museum – The entry door is on the right-hand side of Calle Constitucion 79, a one-way street, in the block just before it reaches the Plaza Machado. There is no sign to identify the place, just the open door with a carpeted stairway beyond it. Admission fee of 10 pesos at the desk just inside the door and climb the stairs. Above a block of imposing arches enclosing commercial storefronts, this is a handsome 19th-century mansion that has been turned into a museum. This historic home, built in 1864, was the home of Juan Machado. At the top of the stairway, several rooms are furnished as they would have been 100 years ago. It shows how the wealthy mercantile class lived in the late 19th century. Looking over Plaza Machado from the second-floor windows, you can easily imagine yourself back in the late 1800s. The red pine ceiling beams came from California's forests. Casa Machado's provincial French antique furniture, canopied brass and iron four-poster beds, kitchen utensils, work tools and clothing offer a glimpse into the life of Mazatlán's 19th century elite. Tall, shuttered doors in the back lead to a wide balcony, its original red, yellow and black tile floor still barely scuffed, that overlooks the square.

Inside are photos of Mazatlan's history. The Mardi Gras Parlor room pays tribute to Carnival queens going back to 1900. It contains a few of the costumes worn over the years by various queens and kings. Besides the intricate nature of the gowns, what will leave the viewer agog is the question of how carnival royalty managed to survive the weight of such (fake) jewel-encrusted finery. Nautilus Galeria is located in Casa Machado.

8. Head 2 blocks west toward the ocean along Calle Sixto Osuna. On the right, you will find the archaeological museum. It blends gothic exterior architecture, on the facade, with neoclassic and baroque influences. This interesting old small museum has exhibits of petroglyphs, human and animal figurines, distinctive red and black glazed ancient Mexican polychrome pottery, sports equipment, arrowheads, many pre-Columbian relics, exhibits of Sinaloan history and culture, several pottery displays which includes the burial ornaments and pottery left behind by the Tolarames Indians. A collection of photos from as early as the 1860s, among them is a selection of scenes from revolutionary times (1910-1914), as well as a turn-of-century victim of the bubonic plague, apparently brought by ship from San Francisco. Perhaps most interesting is a display which contains human remains, including 3 skulls which illustrate the flattened foreheads that were so fashionable centuries ago. A small courtyard in the back of the museum is home to a sparse metal sculpture garden. Boulevard Olas Altas is half-block away. Across the street, is the Casa de la Cultura (Art Gallery) Its exhibits include art, music and photography exhibits.

Just west of downtown and 4 blocks from the Marchado Plaza, is the historic area of Olas Altas (Big waves) with spectacular ocean front scenery, situated at the start of the Malecon. This beach is within walking distance of the ship. Taxi : 30-50 pesos. 8 blocks to the west from the cathedral. Playa Olas Altas beach is where Mazatlan's tourism began in the 1950s. The seafront road has a few faded '50s hotels. Olas Altas, on a deep cove, is uncrowded, a popular spot for surfers, but not good for swimming because of crosscurrents. A mystery associated with this narrow beach, is that its sands shift according to season. At times the sand is found at the extreme north end of the beach, and six months later it may be concentrated at the southern end, with the exposed rocks on the opposite side. A highly recommended gift shop in this area with a great variety of souvenirs, silver and Mexican hand-made art crafts, is Casa Antigua.

Worth a look is historic Hotel Belmar. Its painted tiles, old bullfight posters and dark-wood interiors date back to the turn of the 20th century. It's worth going to the roof of the Best Western Hotel Freeman for a great view of the city. Take the elevator as far up as it goes and then climb a few flights of stairs to the roof. A nice restaurant in this area and close to the terminal is the Shrimp Bucket, part of the Carlos n Charlie’s chain, very good but more expensive, it’s an inside & outside sidewalk café near the Deer Monument & Fondo St. I do not think it was very good at all, rather find a good Mexican restaurant.

Where the Malecón becomes Paseo Claussen (Named for the rich German immigrant who financed the blasting of the scenic drive) - Back downhill and Av. Olas Altas pass the Statue of the Deer in the middle of the intersection. Mazatlan meaning “place of the deer.”

(between the malecón and the Shrimp Bucket) many craft and art stores, such as Indios, with exquisite silverwork.

City and State Shields of Sinaloa and Mazatlán monument, is located at the end of Olas Altas road, in front of the distinguished 1889 school building at the foot of the steep hill. One side of the monument shows the Sinaloan crest, while the other side shows the Mazatlecan crest, both dates back to 1831. The Sinaloan shield depicts four important historical cities of the state: Culican, El Fuerte, Mazatlán and El Rosario. On the reverse side of the structure is Mazatlan’s shield, depicting an anchor to symbolize the port, a crab because Mazatlán is on the Tropic of Cancer, islands called the "Two Brothers," a sun representing Mazatlán's climate and two mermaids. One mermaid holds a mask to symbolize Carnaval Mazatlán and the other holds flowers, representing the Flower Games.

From here the main road winds up a steep hill, Cerro Vigia (Lookout Hill) - Located where Avenida Olas Altus becomes Centenario Boulevard, named as construction was finished during the 100 year anniversary of Mexico’s independence. Take a taxi to the top for breathtaking views of the tranquil bay of Olas Altas. This is the only place where you can see the three islands located off the coast at the same time. It was once a convent, the nuns living there maintained a medical dispensary for impoverished locals. In 1975 Hurricane Olivia hit Mazatlán with such force, it almost totally destroyed the convent. The nuns were relocated and the building was abandoned.

The monument at the old Spanish fort (Fuerte Carranza) commemorates the Battle of Mazatlán in 1864. During the French Intervention, a French warship called La Cordeliere sailed into these waters, intending to invade and take over Mazatlán. But a courageous group of Mazatlecos hauled a cannon to the top of Lookout Hill and fired on La Cordeliere until the ship gave up and turned away. Eventually, the French troops did reach Mazatlán, but they had to come through the neighbouring state of Nayarit. The battle was a big victory. It is re-enacted on the Saturday evening during Carnival every year, in the way of a ship-to-shore fireworks battle. At the foot of the "canon" monument, a plaque memorializes the event: "Mazatlecos have always gallantly defended Mazatlán soil. This cannon is testimony to the patriotism of the inhabitants of this port."

It was constructed in 1874 by the Spanish as a look out tower to guard the harbour. It possesses one of three English cannons that defended the port from foreign invasions and pirates. The Fuerte Carranza is Mazatlan’s last remaining 19th century army reserve. The only hint left of this former battleground is the lone Los Pinos’ historic cannon. Also here is the Meteorological House (the observatory), not open to the public. The fort has been turned into a maritime office/weather station. Step across the little hilltop plaza and down to the excellent seafood restaurant, Café El Mirador. Enjoy lunch, a drink and the view. Open noon - 9 pm.

Heading north, in the shadow of Icebox Hill, Boulevard Olas Altas becomes Paseo Claussen. Continuing past the fort, you’ll come to the tiny, picturesque Los Pinos beach, beside the modern Marine Sciences House and Fort Carranza at the intersection of Paseo Claussen and 31de Marzo. Popular with surfers and sunbathers.

To the North, Paseo Claussen continues around the foot of Cerro Nevería (Icebox Hill). (that's the one with all the antennas) On the opposite side of the road to the ocean. The winding hill is accessible by car to a fabulous dual lookout, with stunning views of the cliff divers and Old Mazatlan. Icebox hill first served as an observation point for the Spaniards. During the mid-1800s ice was shipped from San Francisco, and stored in limestone caves and tunnels in this hill. The ice was used to preserve the seafood caught locally.

During the Mexican Revolution (1910 – 1917) it was used as an ammunition/dynamite storage facility. General (later president) Carranza, intent upon taking the city, ordered a biplane in 1914 to bomb the ammunition magazine atop Icebox Hill. The bombardier missed the target and dropped the crude leather-wrapped bomb of dynamite and nails, right onto the city streets resulting in the death of two citizens with several wounded. Mazatlan then got the dubious distinction of being the 2nd city in the world, after Tripoli, Libya to suffer aerial bombardment. Now the hilltop holds a number of radio and microwave antennas.

At the base of the hill is tiny Devil's Cave, with a wrought iron gate marked Cueva Diablo, meaning Devil's Cave. It was used during the Mexican Revolution when the gated opening provided an escape route to the sea for the soldiers guarding the ammunition, stored in caves farther up the hill, for the cannon on Vigia Hill. Now, during the crazy days of the Carnival, it serves as an overflow drunk tank—it’s so called because it smells like the devil. Children who misbehaved were told by their parents that they would be sent here.

Across the street from devil’s cave, where Avenida Olas Altas becomes Paseo Claussen, is the striking seaside bronze Women of Mazatlán Monument. The state of Sinaloa is famous for its beautiful women, because so many locals have won the Miss Mexico title.

Of Paseo Claussen, the death-defying Cliff Divers of El Mirador launch head first off the 4 story rock platform (45 feet high) and land in a tiny inlet, just inches away from the jagged rocks. While the dive isn't as high as in Acapulco, the landing area looks much more dangerous, being only 6 feet deep, especially at low tide, when their dives must coincide with the arrival of a big wave to bring in more water. A group of 8 divers take turns. If no one else is there, they will ask $10. Tip them $1 per person otherwise. First there is a guy who stands up on the cliff in a tiny Speedo and repeatedly makes like he is going to jump, but then hops back in fear. Meanwhile, the actual divers work the crowd, carrying signs that say that diving is how they make their living and they need donations. Typically they perform when a crowd gathers. At night they use torches to eerily illuminate the attraction. Vendors here. When saying no compro (no buy), they leave you alone. From the ship: Taxi $5 -$6. 7 minute ride. A 10-minute walk from Old Mazatlan.

The Mermaid and Cupid statue sits on the rocks overlooking the ocean near the cliff divers. The cupid next to her seems to be ready to strike the lover she is searching or waiting for.

Next is the small boat cove where Playa Norte beach begins. Fish Market : Every morning, Mazatlan's fishermen sell their night's catch at the north end of Avenida 5 de Mayo) just south of the Fisherman’s monument. Watch the fishermen unload their daily catch, with pelicans and other birds around. Men who dive for oysters, beach their boats here. Catch the ferry to Stone Island from here.

Playa Norte is the longest stretch of beach in Mazatlan. A mile and a half north the street widens, becomes Avenida del Mar along a shallow bay three miles wide. The first portion of the beach, near the Fisherman's Monument at Avenida Gutierrez Najera, has fine, white sand and gentle surf, but a sewer outlet mars the water. Filled with palapas (thatch-roofed, open-air) restaurants. Playa Norte ends at a rocky promontory near the Golden Zone.

Further down the malecón, you’ll pass the dolphin fountain monument representing Continuity of Life. Mazatlán's largest monument, a naked couple on a huge seashell overlooking a school of dolphins. The man, who points to the horizon, offers the future to the woman, where they will search for happiness together and protect nature. The snail shell on which the couple stand, is particularly important because the snail represents continuity and eternity of life in the universe. There are 13 dolphins that represent intelligence. Colored lit up fountains, best enjoyed at sunset.

Continue another block to the 1892 old fort, Fuerte 31 de Marzo (The March 3lst Fort), located at Paseo Claussen and Las Palmas. Named in honour of the heroic stand of the local garrison, which repelled a French invasion on March 31, 1864. To defend the port, it was armed with top quality English cannons. Today this structure is known as The House of the Sailor. Next is the Maritime Customs (Aduana Marítima). Avenida Alemán and Batería. This building was constructed in 1828 along the old pier. { I am not sure about the facts here, some of this maybe Fuerte Carranza/Cerro Vigia info or visa versa }

The malecon culminates at Fisherman’s Monument, where Paseo Claussen becomes Av. Del Mar and Gutierrez Najera. As Mazatlán's oldest monument and most well known, it’s a tribute to fishermen past and present. The sculpture depicts a muscular fisherman hurling his net into the ocean, while the reclining nude woman rests upon an arching ribbon signifying the Tropic of Cancer. There is a figure of a marlin, and the tall column in the middle represents the famous lighthouse, El Faro. The man in the monument represents the strength of the fishermen who labour every day. The woman represents both the beautiful women of Mazatlán and the beauty of the city itself. In the middle of the monument is the El Faro lighthouse. The ribbon that entwines the monument (and on which the woman rests) is the Tropic of Cancer, which Mazatlán almost sits right on.

Pacifico beer tank Monument - On Ave. Sabalo (beach side) on the malecon near Hotel De Cima. Located along Avenida del Mar, and across from Av. Lola Beltran. This monument was unveiled in 2000, the hundredth anniversary of the day the Pacifico Beer brewery first began producing beer. The brewery was founded by three German immigrants. The monument, which was designed by brewery workers, is a huge copper cooking vat capable of holding 24,000 litres (6336 gallons) of beer.

3 Best beaches with the first being the closest to the ship : 1-Playa Norte, 2- Playa Gaviotas, 3- Playa Bruja ( about a 40 minute taxi ride from ship) If you like resorts and pools, this is a good place to go to. If you prefer a nice quiet beach then Stone Island (across from the ship) is the place. Mazatlan is one of only a few resorts in Mexico where surfing is common on central town beaches.

Snorkelling - Puerto Vallarta and Cabo are much better for snorkelling. If you are only planning one snorkelling excursion, I would not choose Mazatlan, as the clarity in the other locations is much more predictable. Mazatlan doesn't have any snorkelling from the beach. The two main snorkelling areas are Deer Island and Stone Island, with Deer Island being better with clear waters and no strong currents on the East side. The visibility is often limited, though when it's clear it's very good. When the visibility is low, you just snorkel in very shallow water. Rent gear at El Cid Hotel. Snorkelling is ok at Stone Island, where the water is a little stirred up. You have to rent a boat to safely get out to Cardon island (at Molokay restaurant). Snorkelling ($35 for all day plus $7 rental), scuba diving($50 for two hours) and boating ($35 for all day ) Excursions can be arranged at any of the beach-side hotels.

The Aquarium and Botanical Garden is half a block off Avenida del Mar, at 111 Avenida de los Deportes. Taxi - a 25 minute ride from the ship, $8. Admission 8 $. Mexico's largest aquarium and one of the largest and best aquariums in Latin America. The complex includes 52 fresh and seawater tanks showing sharks, eels, seahorses and over 300 species of marine life. A huge 33,000 gallon tank features species of fish, including a huge bull shark, piranha’s and more. They also have an auditorium which shows films about sea life, an interesting sea museum, tropical gardens, an aviary and really big crocodiles. A trained sea lion and an exotic bird show where staff members feed the sea lions, birds, and fish, are presented several times each day. The shows are all in Spanish, but still enjoyable. At the front of the aquarium is a monument of three children climbing each other to reach and feed the dolphin springing from the water. Located next to the aquarium is a small zoo and botanical garden (Jadrim Botanico), with bird and reptile exhibits. No admission fee. Close by (around the corner) is the Bosque de la Ciudad City park. A non profit rehabilitation centre, which cares for injured birds, is also here.

The Golden Zone begins where Avenida del Mar narrows and intersects with avenida Rafael Buelna and becomes avenida Camarón Sábalo. Take a Sabalo-Centro bus to the Golden Zone. The two-mile-long, wide curving stretch of beach has several names, beginning with Playa Cameron, then Gaviotas and finally Sabalo, which is the best place to swim and people watch. This is the resort part of Mazatlan with hotels, shops and restaurants. Beach vendors selling anything from chewing gum to parasailing rides.

The Golden Zone starts at Punta Camarón, a rocky outcropping overlooking the sea, dominated by the white walls and turrets of the Fiesta Land/Valentino’s nightclub. This all-white, Moorish-looking building houses Bora Bora, a popular disco/bar and entertainment center. It takes about twenty minutes to walk from Valentino's to El Cid, at the north side of the Golden Zone. Family monument - a Sinaloan family looking towards the future, cast in bronze, is near Valentino’s.

The more southerly Playa Camarón is narrow and steep, with coarse yellow sand. Small shells on the beach are sometimes plentiful. It's one of the best beaches in Mazatlan. If you are looking for water sports, food or just laying in the sun...this is the place! Gentle waves, white sands and three offshore islands. Hotels here testify to the beauty of Playa Camarón and Playa Gaviotas. These shining beaches give meaning to the label Golden Zone. Golden memories for visitors and gold in the pockets of the Mazatlán folks lucky enough to own or work here.

Offshore from Punta Camarón, three rocky islands can be seen from the beach. From south to north they are: Isla de los Chivos (Goat Island), Isla de los Venados (Deer Island), and Isla de los Pajaros (Bird Island). These islands are part of a nature reserve that includes all 900+ islands in the Sea of Cortez, also known as the Gulf of California.

Goat Island, on the left, is very small, maybe enough room for 20 goats. No one has ever lived there. Bird Island is on the right. Popular with bird-watchers, as hundreds of different species nest here year round.

Deer Island, in the middle, is the largest of Mazatlan's secluded coastal islands. Only Deer Island is officially open to visitors. It’s about 1/2 mile from the mainland and has been designated a natural reserve for protection of native flora and fauna. Petroglyphs have been found here. In the centre of the island are rock paintings of historical value. It is a great place for hiking, fishing, snorkelling, shell hunting, swimming, and privacy. The beautiful sandy beach is nice, much more relaxing with no vendors to bother you and the water is clear for snorkelling. Bring your own picnic and drinks. There is an easy trail leading up to the top of the hill, a 45 minute hike (15-20 minutes) for amazing views of Mazatlan. This is the best place in Mazatlan for snorkelling. It’s the best on the northwest side of the island (to the left when facing the water) but you have to stay close to the shore in the rocks in the shallow water (4-5 feet). Eel, baby lobster, small octopus and a spectacular display of thousands of brightly colored fish. Some unusual rock formations lie just offshore and make for an interesting undersea exploration. There is no coral, just rocks. I snorkelled in water about 2 feet deep and could see quite a few fish. I went up to the end of the island (to the left as you stand on the beach looking at the city), the visibility improved a lot, but the water got a bit rough. A novice might be uncomfortable here being so close to the rocks.

Transportation to the island is provided by panga, (small boat) or a World War 2 amphibious vehicle painted to look like a shark with lots of teeth. Every hour 80 pesos ($8) roundtrip p person, 30 minute boat ride or by renting a HobieCat/ catamaran (about 40 minutes) My favourite thing to do is take a hobiecat over to Deer Island. Stop at a corner store buy beer and snacks, rent the snorkel equipment ($5ea) from the same guys that take you across. They pick you up at whatever time you want. $30 roundtrip, 4 people can fit on the boat for that price. Find the boats in front of Hotel Los Arcos, next door in the empty lot. The taxi from the ship is $10.

Back on the mainland, About 500 yards north of the point, Playa Camarón becomes Playa Gaviotas in front of Hotel Sabalos and Hotel Playa Mazatlan. With soft golden sand, this is the most popular beach in town. Very pretty but fairly crowded. The islands offshore prevent most large waves from hitting this beach. Catch a boat to Deer Island from here. Jet skiing and parasailing here. The ride lasts about ten minutes and the views from up to 400' above the bay are spectacular! $30. Make sure the boat has two people in it, so that one of the occupants will serve as a spotter to keep an eye on you while you’re airborne.

Hotel Castilla El Cid likes cruise ship passengers. From the ship take a 30 mins taxi ($12) The most active section of this popular beach is centered around El Cid and extends south to Joe's Oyster Bar. Have lunch/ drinks there and you can use their pool. The El Cid has the largest pool in that area. Favourite resorts here are Pueblo Bonito, Costa de Oro & Hotel Playa Mazatlan. Each has ocean side pools and Hotel Playa has lots of beach palapas, open air restaurants. I like Hotel Costa de Oro best. The walk along the beach from Pueblo Bonito to Hotel Playa takes about 40 minutes. El Moro Towers or Castilla at El Cid from either of these you can go through there lobbies to the 3 pool areas and the beach. El Cid was so so, a little run down. Hotel Playa is much more quiet and relaxing.

Time share deals: When we arrived in Mazatlan we were told about a one hour time share at the El Cid. When we arrived at the hotel we were given arm bands that paid for all of our drinks and lunch for each of us. They asked that we tip and the use of the property for the day was ours. It was just an hour, we said no thank you. We had free transportation, lunch and drinks for free, that was our cheapest port day. We did this with the Inn at Mazatlan. The time share reps were very nice, and they put us all in a taxi headed to the resort with bottled water in hand. The resort itself was very beautiful and luxurious. When we got there, we were instructed to wait for our tour. Then we saw another person from our ship that had just finished their tour. They said it was high-pressure. Based on that, we politely thanked the Inn at Mazatlan people, offered to pay them for the cab fare (they wouldn't take it), and walked down the road. Normally you do not need a day pass at the resorts if you buy drinks and food. El Cid has one that costs to the public about 45us but if you talk to the timeshare people at the dock, you can get it for free. They will want you to go thru the presentation. But normally you go to El Cid, The Inn, or other big hotels and you can use their pool if you pay for food and drinks or maybe a tip to the pool guys.

El Cid Castilla is the best resort of the 3 El Cids, with very large pool & a large water slide. You can buy a day pass in the lobby at reception desk. We walked in and the lady at the security desk asked if we had a pass, and we said no, we just wanted to use the beach and have a meal in the restaurants. She said no problem and let us in. We found a beach palapa (no charge) and chairs. The water was great, and we went to their open-air beachfront restaurant, La Concha. Probably the best authentic Mexican food (and atmosphere) I've ever had. 2 of us ate there for $13 total, including tip. We each had a meal, a frozen drink, and bottled water. It was excellent. We also met another cruise passenger on the beach who had done the time-share tour and said it was quick and low-hassle, so perhaps it might be worth it. We went on the El Cid tour it was not high pressure, lasted about 45 min. then we used their pools, beach areas with free, boogie boards, free lunch which was very good and free drinks, also round trip taxi ride. We just took one of the open air taxis to El Cid. We walked in through the lobby to the pool. We bought a couple of drinks and spent most of the day there. There was no charge for use of the facilities. They seemed to welcome the business. We walked down the beach for about an hour before hailing a taxi and heading back to the ship. It was a great relaxing day. At El Cid they were so aggressive wanting you to buy. We loved the pool, but we'd never go back.

In order to take the time share tour, if you are married, your spouse must also be present. If you want to avoid the timeshare tour but still get in on the "goodies", simply state that your husband/wife is not present, but that you would still like to visit their resort and see what they have to offer. The second time we headed out to the beach that day, the El Cid reps gave us an armband good for free admission and drinks since we couldn't participate in the tour. You can basically walk into any resort at no charge and use their facilities as long as you eat and drink. No need to do the time share thing.

We visited El Cid in Mazatlan and I didn't care for it. Some ships have tours to the Playa Mazatlan, which is without a doubt the best hotel in Mazatlan. I have seen people from the ships use the beach in front of the hotel, without a tour. Day pass Try Playa Mazatlan. I'm sure they offer them. The hotel is nice and the staff is more than great. We went to Los Sabados and they allowed us to use their beach and pool for free, as long as you eat and drink there. The pool was kind of weird, long and narrow and you had to get in and out on the back side. But it was clean and the water was refreshing. The food was good and the people very nice. The beach was nice, but the incline getting in and out of the water was steep for a couple of feet and then it comes back up and is flat and not to deep. Not too many vendors. Taxi was $10. We were going to go to El Cid, which we went to and did the time share talk.. The guy getting people cabs at the terminal suggested Los Sabados, he said it wasn't a time share and we wouldn't be bothered. He was right.

Another quarter mile north around Hotel El Cid, Playa Gaviotas becomes its identically lovely northward extension, Playa Sábalo, considered by many to be Mazatlan's best and most popular beach. Past the rocks of Punta Sábalo, the final three miles of beach begin near the Camino Real Hotel, here a bridge over a boat channel flows in and out of a tidal lagoon, popular for bird watching. The beach boulevard loops a mile inland, curving north past the Marina Mazatlán, and back to the beach, where it becomes Playa Cerritos (Little Hills Beach). The hotels thin out as it continues past grassy dunes and venerable groves to a sheltered cove. This beach, with grass growing atop its dunes, is quiet and undeveloped and a good place to check for shells at low tide. Cerritos is accessible by bus, look for ''Cerritos'' written on the windshield. There are no hotels, bars, or restaurants. Situated at the northern end of Mazatlan, north of Playa Cerritos, the beach becomes Playa Brujas, named for the brujas, female witch doctors, who used to perform their rituals there. This beach is great for surfers and for those who wish to avoid the crowds, very quiet and secluded.

Restaurants /Bars – seafood and shrimp are the local specialties. A beer within walking distance from the ship? Edgar's Bar - corner of Mariano Escobeda and Aquiles Serdan. Delightful bar decorated with hundreds of interesting old pictures of Old Mazatlan. Around lunch hour you receive free snacks. From the ship it is a 25 minute walk.

From El Cid walk 10 minutes north (approx 2 blocks) to Tony’s on the Beach. Remember to say to the taxi driver: “Tony’s on the beach, between the Caravelle and Fiesta Inn Hotels.” Close to Pueblo Bonito. There is no sign on the outside but you will see two other restaurants Chilli Peppers and Locos Locos. Tony’s is in the middle and right on the beach. As you pull up, it looks like you are at a vacant business complex. Go to the middle of the building area and look left, it is right there. Small open air type place about 75 feet from the water with a gorgeous view. Excellent seafood and Mexican food. Highly recommended by several CC’s. Sit down at a table/umbrella right on the sand. Both times we caught a taxi street side within in 5 minutes, a 20 minute ride. They have boogie boards, jet skis, sailboats, parasailing and I think kayaks in the area. Try the imperial platter, it is the best. It has 2 lobsters (pacific lobster) and about 6 jumbo shrimp. About $ 40. It comes with tortilla soup or salad plus vegetables, baked potato and rice. If only one wants it, they give you have an order at half the price. If you like beer with lime, try MICHELADA, I call it chocolate milk. It is a glass or mug with salt on top like a margarita, with lime juice, ice and then they pour the beer in. It is very good!

The Shrimp Factory, about a block from Hotel Playa Mazatlan, is very good, a little further down the road (north) is Chillies Peppers (my favourite) also La Casa De Marinara, order the shrimp party platter. I've heard that it's good too, all they do is Shrimp.

Senor Frog's on Avenue del Mar, two blocks from the Aquarium. In Mazatlan is where the legend began with the very first Senor Frog’s.

True Mexican flavour can be experienced at the open-air roadside taco stands, of which there are many on the Strip. The good ones are easy to spot; look for the ones with the most people. Chicken, beef and fish tacos or burritos, a spicy sauce, with rice and beans on the sides. - about 50 cents. Family-run businesses that offer a great local experience. Usually also serve cervezas. The drinking age is 18. The appropriate drink is a margarita with or without tequila, or a Pacifico beer. Poco Loco: an iced green coconut, drink the milk with a straw, then spoon out the soft, pulpy meat, squeeze fresh lime right on it and then a few drops of hot sauce (not salsa) sprinkled all over it. Restaurants have purified water and ice. The primary industry in Mazatlan is tourism, water is safe. Ask for identification from anyone who presents himself as a police officer if he’s attempting to arrest or fine you for no obvious reason.

Joe's Oyster Bar - on the beachfront at Los Sabalos Hotel at Av. Rodolfo T. Loaiza 100, From the cruise pier, cab is $12. Beer, burgers, fresh oysters, casual, thatched open-air disco. Parasailing, banana-boating & jet skiing, vendors

Internet: MacDonald’s and Burger Kings have free wireless internet. At the pier : International Communications Center; phone calls to the U.S. 75 cents per minute, and Internet access is available for $2 for 15 minutes, CompuSoporte (Avenue del Mar #4) in the Golden Zone.

Shopping - a little cheaper in Mazatlan than P.V. Out of all 3, I believe Mazatlan is supposed to be the most economical place to shop. Do bargain in these smaller shops. If something cost $100, you shake your head and walk away, they'll pursue you..."how much do you want to spend?"...You say $20...eventually, you'll pay $50. Downtown was the cheapest, with the Golden Zone next, and the cruise dock the most expensive. At the ship terminal you can buy the silver at very reasonable prices.

The Golden Zone has a large collection of shops from flea market to high end jewellery. Great jewellery stores are PARDO (Fire opals), Pacific Jewellery, Diamonds International, Diamond Marquis, Maya (Great real Talavera), Milano. Gems and diamonds can be purchased tax-free. The best place to seek out jewellery is the Golden Zone. A recommended shop for Mexican handicrafts and jewellery is Madonna. The famous Mexican Fire Opals from Magdalena, Jalisco. QUETZAL that used to be MR. Indio that has a nice collection of silver jewellery. All the silver comes from TAXCO.

Popular things to buy: Silver jewellery, leather goods, fake designer purses and designer watches, alcohol, especially Kahlua and good Tequila, Kahlua (Costs around $8 for a litre that runs about $20-22 back home)...They allow US residents to bring back 1 litre per adult duty-free. Local and native arts, An Onyx and Abalone Mask (The cruise ship recommended stores were asking $80-85 at the time...I picked up the exact same merchandise at a smaller shop in the Golden Zone for $20!!) At Michaels Gallery they have a nice selection of Silver and Gold Jewellery, also nice Arts and Crafts. Next to Michaels gallery is a nice Leather factory called Gabys where they have a nice selection of leather goods. Also there is a store called Constantinos. Very popular is ‘manta’, a light and airy cotton fabric that makes perfect warm-climate clothing. Mexico is famous for hand-worked leather goods. The beautiful multi-colored pottery you may know as Mexican style is actually called Talavera.

Silver is big in Mexico as it’s a leading world producer of ‘plata’. True silver is stamped 925, beware that much of the ‘silver’ sold by vendors on the beach is alpaca, a lower-quality silver plated metal, even though it may have been stamped 925. The highest quality silver jewellery is sold in the stores. Prices typically are not marked, but instead based on the weight of the piece. Many people say Mazatlan has the best prices in Mexico for Silver & Gold. Do not look for the 925 stamp because the vendors put the stamp on. Go to a reputable store, egg Michaels in the Golden Zone. Beware of anything marked "Mexican Silver", it is only 2% silver and very low quality, tarnishes quickly and the copper will turn your skin green or blackish. Another product called German Silver contains no silver at all. Be careful with the vendors on the street or beach.

Vanilla - Because vanilla originated in Mexico, it’s natural to think that we’d have a good supply of real, pure vanilla extract. Most of the vanilla you will encounter in Mazatlan is synthetic, no matter what the label says. Bogus vanilla likely includes a high alcohol content (up to 25%), whereas genuine vanilla extract will have no more than 2% alcohol. Fake vanilla may also contain coumarin, which can be toxic to the liver. It has been outlawed in the US, but may still find its way into synthetic vanilla here. The one brand of vanilla here in Mazatlan that enjoys a reputation of being pure and ‘real’ vanilla is Orlando. Labels are not regulated in Mexico, so even when the label says 100% pure vanilla, it might be synthetic.

Arts and Crafts Center (Centro de Artesanías) – Located At Aviotas and Avenida Rodolfo T. Loaiza, beyond the Playa Mazatlan, filled with local artisans at work on crafts ranging from weaving to wood carving. This is the largest commercial craft center in Mexico with a huge selection of handicrafts from all over Mexico. There are lots of souvenir-type curios such as sombreros, sandals, and coconut masks. This is the best place along the west Mexico coast to find, under one roof, an elaborate array of Mexican artistic genius, working in everything from fabric to onyx. Nearby are small craft shops.

Papantla Flyers - Aztec open air theatre, located in the Arts and crafts Center- tickets $15, 10:00 am 11:30 am 12:15 pm. Folkloric group performing daredevil "flying pole" dance 50 feet above the theatre, show lasted 45 minutes to an hour.

Nearby Sea Shell City Museum/shop (Avenida Rodolfo T. Loaiza between Las Garzas and Avenida del Mar) Located at 407 Playa Gaviotas Street. Treasure trove of seashells, displays the rarest specimens, silver jewellery, coconut art, wind chimes, sea shell mosaics. A must-see for tourists. Walk up to the second floor and you'll see practically anything with a seashell attached to it, including a large fountain and aquariums with live fish. 2 floors filled with a huge variety of objects made out of shells.

Caliente is sort of a casino where you can bet on sports, like horse races, boxing, baseball, etc. Caliente is on Avenida del Mar( Malecon) between the Golden zone and the port area.

Bull fights at Plaza de Toros Monumental at 4 pm. Toreadors face-off with bulls on Sunday afternoons between December and Easter. This is not an activity for the squeamish or the hung over. The bull always dies at the end and it's a slow, punishing death.

Pacifico Brewery Beer Tour - Walk through the brewery and learn the brewing process, fascinating beer facts and the history of Mazatlan’s world famous Pacifico Beer. Take a bearing on the tallest building you can see, which is the brewery, as you walk out to the street and head out there, 30 minutes walk. Or grab a taxi $5. Brewery was started by three Germans in 1900. They are the makers also of Modelo, Negra Modelo, Corona, Victoria, Estrella and Montejo. The alcohol content in Mexico is less then 4.5%. Visitors can tour brewery on their own for free. 3 tours per day lasting 90 minutes each at 9:00am, 11:00am & 4:00pm. Reservations - must make appointment 2 days in advance. No shorts, no backpacks, & no cameras. Free samples.

Jungle Tour - You go by boat through Mazatlan's harbour to the wildlife preserve of Stone Island and wind through the lush green waterway channels in the mangroves. A shaded, open-air small boat/catamaran takes you around the bay to unspoiled, quiet beaches and a tropical jungle teeming with exotic animals like armadillos, iguanas, raccoons, pelicans, pink, blue, white heron, amid lush vegetation. You get to see the lush mangrove channels south of Mazatlan where many species of sea & shore birds migrate. Home to pelicans, blue herons, sea hawks and osprey. Bird Watching tour goes through the Large Estuary by boat from the harbour south winding thru the water channels that snake through the lush mangroves. This is a federally protected area with over 250 known species. Also visit a family owned cocos plantation. Tours are offered to the El Verde Sea Turtle Conservation Center, as well as to Teacapán, El Caimanero and Stone Island. A jungle tour of San Blas or Guayabitos for the chance to come face to face with a crocodile or iguana. Mazatlán is truly a birdwatchers haven due to its blend of habitats, including secluded beaches, coastal wetlands, rolling hills and spectacular canyons with pine and oak forests. Bird walks in the Sierra Madre Mountains or kayak and boat trips through mangrove-lined coastal flats.

Golf - If I only had one day to play golf I would consider El Tigre in PV or Cabo, which was absolutely the best. Estrella del Mar is the best place to play in Mazatlan versus El Cid. Both cost about $110 but Estrella Del Mar is much better and has several holes right on the ocean, it is beautiful. The cruise ships only offer the El Cid. It can be very hot & muggy, bring insect repellent.

El Cid - The 27 hole course features the new Lee Trevino Marina Nine, the only Trevino signature course in Mexico. With beautiful Bermuda grass greens and fairways, the resort complex is also the only Latin American site of America’s Favourite Golf Schools. The course at El Cid was in bad shape and is in need of some serious overhauling. El Cid was the least favourite. The caddy rides on the back of the cart. The course is 3-9 holes. We played a few holes on one course and then drove to another. It was hard to keep up what course you were on. I have played El Cid several times, it is ok. I had read many negative reviews. Recommend taking the ships excursion as it is quite a drive, north of the Golden Zone.

Estrella del Mar - This 18 hole course was recently built by the world renowned Robert Trent Jones and sport scenic views along almost two miles of coastline. Located on Stone Island near the airport, the course follows the coastline and is wonderful, it also has a small turtle rearing pond that is quite interesting. It boasts a modern clubhouse facility. Paid the "summer" rate of $80pp. The course was very nice. There were several holes right on the beach. Lots of workers wanting to help you egg carry bags, clean their clubs, etc. http://www.teetimesmexico.com/NewGol...golfCourse=704 : lists the club rental fees. You are also assigned a caddy and the price includes a cart. I just call the golf course directly and book a tee time. It is a 30 minute taxi ride out to the course and it is well worth it. Booked with King David Tours, they have a package to Estrella del Mar for around $105 that includes transportation to & from the ship and a cart. Clubs rent ($35); $10 for my wife (non playing) for the bus to the course and $15 at the course for her to ride the cart. King David only accepts Pay Pal for payment and seem very cooperative is setting up reservations, even if you haven't paid yet.

Mazatlan’s Mardi Gras Carnival, a weeklong party (6 days in February) is the third largest in the world, topped in size and revelry only by those in Rio de Janeiro and New Orleans. Dating back to 1898, this Mexican-style Mardi Gras on the 5 days preceding Ash Wednesday features round-the-clock street dancing, masquerades, naval battles with fireworks in the bay, dances, the coronation of the Carnival queen, outdoor concerts, all-night street parties, series of folk dances, balls, flower games, parades of floats perfectly decorated, costumes, a multitude of animated people, and riotous merry makers, which by this time includes everyone in town. With music of La Tambora Sinaloense, the traditional band music of Mazatlán, the city turns into a huge folk party. Every night during Carnival week, all along the Olas Altas oceanfront drive, the streets fill with music from roving mariachi groups, local traditional bandas sinaloenses, sporting lots of brass instruments and electrified bands. The merrymaking begins the week before Ash March and climaxes on Shrove Tuesday, when musicians, dancers, and people out for a good time pack the malecon. It all ends at midnight on Fat Tuesday. The following day, the Catholic Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and the party is over. The faithful ceremoniously receive crosses of ashes on their foreheads at church, and Lent begins, a period of fasting.

Bulama - Mazatlán is one of the last places on earth to play the pre-Columbian game of bulama. It was originally banned by the Spaniards and Catholic Church due to the game ending in a ritual - sacrifice and supposed magic properties of the ball involved. The game consists of two teams who try to manipulate a large ball (which in older times was stone) into a high ring on a wall. The best place to view this ancient tradition is at El Quelite, a town 30 miles north of Mazatlán.

Mazatlan enjoys a healthy and stable economy. Fishing is number one, followed by tourism with more than 10,000 hotel rooms. Other industries are Pacifico Beer, Marino Coffee, shipyards, vegetable canning/freezing and some manufacturing plants.

Nearly 18 000 tons of shrimp are processed and exported each year, making Mazatlan the shrimp capital of the world. In a recent year, the fleet of 600 vessels harvested 63,000 tons of tuna and 57,000 tons of sardines. Mazatlan is Mexico’s largest and busiest commercial fishing port and the largest port between Los Angeles and the Panama Canal. Millions of pounds of shrimp, tuna and sardines are processed here and exported each year, mainly to the US and Japan, giving substantive employment to a portion of the city's people. The two most important catches are tuna and shrimp, 6,000 marlin, sail and other billfish are also caught here in an average year. Its also home to Latin America’s biggest fleet of commercial shrimp vessels.

Mazatlan was the first Mexican port (resort) to develop a tourism infrastructure. Initially, tourists were lured here for the deep sea sport fishing of marlin and sailfish. The best season for striped marlin, swordfish, sailfish and tuna is from January to May. The port is also home to the largest deep sea sport fishing fleet in Mexico, with an annual catch of over 10,000 sailfish, the trinity of black, blue and striped marlin, sea bass, yellow fin tuna, dorado and even grouper are caught daily in the surrounding waters. A full-day fishing charter with equipment and guides start around $250. There are freshwater lakes nearby offering the some of the best bass fishing in the world. Mazatlan has the biggest marina grouping in all of Mexico, very popular with boaters. Also great dove, duck and quail hunting.

History - The original people of the area, the Totorames, survived as hunters and fishermen and were skilled in the art of exquisite pottery, with elaborate black and red designs, indicative of a high culture. But unlike their more famous inland neighbours, the Aztecs, the Totorames left behind no great architectural pyramids or structural works. Their civilization ultimately ceased 200 years before the arrival of the Spaniards. The Chametla tribe did manage to survive and they put up fierce resistance when the infamous Spanish Conquistador Cortez searched for passages to Baja California. Eventually the Spaniards conquered them when Nuno de Guzman, had the natives slaughtered and officially founded a settlement here in 1531. Although towns were first settled in this area about 400 years ago, a permanent colony was not established until the early 1820's. Francisco de Ibarra, a conquistador/explorer, discovered gold and silver in the Sierra Madre hills above the city. Mazatlán was first mentioned in 1602 as the name of a small village, 30 miles to the south.

It soon became an important conduit for gold and silver from Spain's far-flung colonies. And where there was gold, there were usually pirates. In 1603, English and French pirates began patrolling the waters, and would bury their gold in the coves along the coast, to hide it from the Spanish galleons. During the colonial era, it was a major port from which ships laden with gold and silver set off for Spain on long journeys round Cape Horn. The colonial government established a small fort near the harbour and watchtowers atop the hill to control the pirates who used to attack the Spanish galleons. Although the pirates were gone by 1800, legends persist of troves of stolen silver and gold, buried in hidden caves along the Mazatlán coast.

The early 1800’s saw the arrival of Germans, Italians and North Americans as they developed the city as a port for shipping cargo. Mazatlan itself was not developed by the Spanish nor the Indians, but by a group of very enterprising German immigrants who developed the port facilities in order to import agricultural equipment. They were the creators of Pacifico Beer and Banda Music. By the end of the 1800’s, Mazatlán was a thriving international seaport, the second busiest port south of San Francisco. It became an important port in the 19th century as gold and silver flowed from mines in the mountains and agriculture developed nearby.

In 1821 Mexico gained its independence from Spain and Mazatlan began to prosper as a port city as well as the capital of the state of Sinaloa. The Port of Mazatlan was occupied by American navy troops in 1847 during the Mexican war, known here as the American Invasion. In 1864, while the US was preoccupied by it’s own Civil War, the French attacked the city, and managed to control the port for the next several years. For a short time in 1871 the British occupied the port. These incursions by outsiders gave rise to the tradition of bars on the windows and iron fences with menacing spikes, which have come to be quite ornamental (as well as a standard security system) in many of Mazatlan's wealthier neighbourhoods. More trouble lay ahead during the years of 1910-1917 which saw the Mexican Revolution. The years following the revolution brought great prosperity through the trade of fishing. The economy improved after a new port was built in the 1950's. Shipbuilding was launched. Tourists started coming in the 1930s, mainly for fishing and hunting. Mazatlan has probably introduced more Americans and Canadians to Mexico than any other resort. “

That was a compilation from a Mazatlán boosters tourist book. It's pretty up to date because very little has changed tourist wise for a while in Mazatlán.

There's one new golf course n the area of the new Marina. I would rate El Cid a poor # 3 behind the Marina course and the beautiful Estrella course. I've walked El Cid, played the others.

Estrella is at least 30 minutes from the cruise terminal, Marina a bit less.

I'm a resident of Mazatlán and a cruiser. If I had one day, I'd grab a pulminia and head for Plaza Machado, from there one can walk to the church and the Mercado. Hour or two and you've seen it, got the pictures and maybe a t-shirt.

Following that I'd hale another pulmonia and have him take you down the Malecon, perhaps decide to have lunch at one of the hotels or carry on to Bruja for lunch at Mr Lionsos while watching the surfers, perhaps a walk on the beach. Alternatively, leaving the old town I'd head for an afternoon at one of several palapa restaurants on Stone Island.