Your favorite food on NCL

josephml1

Bermuder, could you tell me a little about that? We have a restaurant here called 'Mongolie Grill' where we choose raw foods and they stir fry them for us... is that the same concept?

Thanks so much for the pics, CT! I am getting so excited and the Asian restaurant will be the only first for me this cruise so I really appreciate the info. We have always loved Teppanyaki but never tried the regular Asian, as I said. Anyway, the hotpot was a fun experience but not memorable in terms of food taste. You are seated at a special table that has a hot plate in the center - on that they have a bowl of very hot broth. They bring you platter after platter of vegetables, noodles and very thinly sliced meat which you cook yourself in the broth. We found it fun, but the food was bland. But you get lots of attention from the waitstaff and all the food you can eat. I enjoyed it but probably would not do it again unless I was traveling with a newbie who wanted the experience, it becomes a fun party.

You're welcome!

I'm sorry Elron, I don't eat sushi, but one of our friends had it during lunch one day and quite enjoyed it. (that's how I got the pic) :)

Thanks CT! Do you know where they tried the sushi for lunch? The sushi place is open for lunch?

Does anyone remember the Fire Starter @ Le Bistro.

It was so unique and I have never seen anything like it

anywhere else.

I'll try to describe it....it was a round cast iron "ball" on a stand

with spikes coming out of it and on those spikes were pieces of

meat and /or seafood ( you had a choice of 3 ).When it arrived

at the table, it was flamed and served with a dazzling array of

sauces.

I am probably just confusing everyone, but it was really good

and very unusual.

Barb

Yup

I think it was called the Firestar...It certainly was unusual. I saw it on the Dawn in 2003, but havne't seen it since.

Yes, the sushi bar and the 'main' asian restaurant were open on all sea days on the Star. I think that's the custom on all the ships now - I hope so, for future sailings!! :) Both of the meals we enjoyed in Ginza were at lunch, which I was very happy about since it meant I didn't have to give up two evening meals in the main dining room.

Thanks, Bermuder, for the info. Mongolian HotPot sounds a lot like broth fondue. I definitely agree it can make for great group fun experience, but I think we'll pass on it. With all the choices available, I think the other cooking methods available are more to our tastes. It's just so hard to simmer a thin slice of meat and have it come out rare! :p

Yup

I think it was called the Firestar...It certainly was unusual. I saw it on the Dawn in 2003, but havne't seen it since.

The Firestar iron hook contraptions are now in the Tex Mex restaurant and are used for an entree called Il Popo, which is kind of similar to the Firestar in that it has cooked meat and vegetables hanging on it, but they don't flame it at the table.

I have a picture, but don't know how to post it. Duh.:confused:

The Firestar iron hook contraptions are now in the Tex Mex restaurant and are used for an entree called Il Popo, which is kind of similar to the Firestar in that it has cooked meat and vegetables hanging on it, but they don't flame it at the table.

I have a picture, but don't know how to post it. Duh.:confused:

That's okay -- there are pics on this thread ;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=705697

i didn't see any soft serve on the spirit...they had hard scoop at the ice cream station in the buffet. over the hot dessert crepes (around the corner, also buffet area) it was excellent.

with 2.0 the room service menus are being upgraded...no one has seen the new menus yet. until then, the room service for a cabin (less the suite) is limited. suites are a better menu.

Just got back from the Gem (sailed 2/16-2/23). I had so many delicious meals, snacks, and deserts!

Garden Cafe- Yummy smoked salmon at breakfast, really good indian food at lunch. My mom loved getting lattes and espresso from the machines (free). If you walk past the main buffet there is an outdoor buffet called The Great Outdoors which has some speciality lunches, including a Bavarian buffet with pretzels, sausages, and black forest cake.

Grand Pacific- You must try the tabouleh salad! It's really yummy. I didn't care for the chilled avacado soup, but my sister liked it.

Cagney's- We ate here twice! Really great food. I was a bit worried as I don't eat meat, but the first night I really enjoyed the salmon and crab leg dinner. The last night many of us had lobster tails which were really delicious. You get your sides in small cast iron pots. The potato gratin was really good. My favorite appetizer was the shrimp cocktail with Jack Daniels cocktail sauce. The two deserts I got, cheesecake and apple pie, were the best I had all week.

Teppenyaki- Our (I was in a party of 8) favorite restaurant! We all like hibachi, and have been to NJ hibachi restaurants a lot, and this was our favorite of all. The fried rice was delicious and my shrimp and scallops were perfectly cooked. I also had a Saketini to drink. It was different, but good. My boyfriend and brother had Sake bombs, which were fun.

Magenta- The food here is from the Cooking Light menu. I had a really good vegetarian strudel which had a light curry sauce. My father really loved the pasta carbonnara.

Tequila- This was our least favorite dinner, half because of the food, and half because of the service. My father thinks that this is where new servers are trained, because our service was impecable at every other restaurant. The food was just ok. My sister's fajitas were served without the fajita wraps! A waitress had to be flagged down, but by then, my sister had already eaten the filling. Despite this, the Sopia desert is really, really good. Me, my father, and my brother in law all had it and loved it. The desert consists of a large cream puff type pastry split in half and filled with coffee ice cream, then drizzled with chocolate sauce. Check it out.

Blue Lagoon- This is where we would sometimes go at around 1 am after dancing in Bliss or the Spinaker Lounge. Blue Lagoon is a 24 hour restaurant. The waitresses there must be used to dealing with people who have had a bit to drink. They're so nice and accomadating. You must try the fish and chips. The fish is perfectly battered and fried, but you only get two pieces per order, so ask for extra. The mac and cheese was too watery for my taste.

Room Service- For lunch, I liked the tuna melt with tomato, served with chips. My boyfriend liked the cheese pizza.

Drinks-Try the Saketini at Teppanyaki. I had a martini from Shakers bar called the Peach Beamer which contained peach vodka and Jim Beam. Warning, this is a VERY strong drink! I could only have a few sips. My sister does not drink alcohol but really liked two of the non-alcoholic "drinks of the day", the Tom and Cherry and the Stars and Stripes which is half strawberry daquiri and half pina colada.

I've read on these boards that people have been disapointed with NCL food, but honestly, my party of 8 really enjoyed almost everything we had, even things from the buffet. I don't know if this is a Gem thing, because it is the youngest ship, but the food was great!:)

Oh my gosh, where do I start? ha ha ha

I especially loved the Teriyaki Steak in Ginza and all the meat and seafood in Teppanyaki. In the main dining room, the prime rib was fantastic, and I loved the escargot appetizer. I could actually go on and on, I really enjoyed all the food I had on my last cruise - as did my family. I've got pics of a lot of it here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/562285834btzutd

well now I'm hungry!!!!!

i didn't see any soft serve on the spirit...they had hard scoop at the ice cream station in the buffet. over the hot dessert crepes (around the corner, also buffet area) it was excellent.

with 2.0 the room service menus are being upgraded...no one has seen the new menus yet. until then, the room service for a cabin (less the suite) is limited. suites are a better menu.

No Soft Ice cream :(:(

Well if they have the ice cream station in the buffet and hot dessert crepes i will be just fine:D:D

But do you remember what is actually offered in the Room service Menu?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived