I love RCCL. Will I like NCL?

KillaFee

You'll get lots of different answers here... not only are personal preferences a factor, but ship, staff, and timing also have a big affect on your cruise experience. My first cruise was on Carnival and I was simply amazed and fell in love with cruising. My 2nd was on RCI and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't quite like my first Carnival cruise. I liked the food and entertainment better on Carnival and they had more going on at night. After that, price also affected my choices. I have gone on a few more Carnival cruises, 1 Celebrity cruise and one on Costa. My absolute favorite was Celebrity - doesn't even compare in all aspects! Costa was my least favorite. Now I'm trying NCL and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I do like the idea of getting to know your waiter, but we're taking our 1 yo and the freestyle dining was the reason we're going with NCL. It would have to take something major for me not to enjoy a cruise!!!

As others have said, you'll get so many variations on opinions about all different aspects between the two cruiselines. Your only problem with sailing on NCL, will be that you'll then add another cruise line of ships to choose from when making future cruise decisions, therefore making your choice harder.

Personally, I don't believe in a bad cruise on any ship, unless of course its one they say I have to row.:D

Holy cow, you guys sure gave me plenty to think about!! I'm totally willing to try NCL. We did the Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ in September and we had the BEST time....but when I saw the itinerary for the NCL Dawn (spending two nights in Bermuda as opposed to just one) I couldn't help but think "That makes SO much more sense!" because I fell in love with Bermuda when I was there last time with my mom and really want my husband to experience it to the fullest when we go. Now the hard part is convincing him to try NCL. He just started cruising with me 7 years ago and he just finished his 6th and he's only done RCI and is convinced that RCI is perfect (which I pretty much agree with). But the more I cruise the more I hate short cruises and would much rather spend 7 days on a ship than 5!!

I'll read him this post and work on swaying him to being open to trying NCL.

Thanks for all the input, I totally didn't expect all that. One more thing....any vegetarians out there have any opinions on the food of NCL?

Laura

The space per passenger is indeed better on RCi but it is in public areas and not the cabins. I would rather have the extra sq ft in my cabin. I dont think either line offers the same cabin space as Carnival and certainly HAL. That being said, I hope no one picks your opinion apart. You have every right to feel the way you do. As for desserts, I really wouldn't even compare any line based on desserts, but if this is important to you I understand.

Nita

You will see below that Carnival does not reign supreme as they have in the past other than the standard inside cabin. RCI older ships such as the Sovereign class do have small cabins but the Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class which make up about 65% of the berths in the fleet match up with the other lines.

Cabin Sizes for the three lines on the three newest ships.

Outside cabins

Carnival Freedom 5A porthole outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS - outside stateroom = 161 square feet.

NCL Gem - Ocean View = 161 Square feet

Carnival Freedom 6A - standard outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS - Large outside stateroom = 200 square feet

Balcony cabins

Carnival Freedom 8A - Standard balcony stateroom = 220 square feet of which the cabin is 185 square feet and the balcony is 35 square feet.

Liberty OTS - Standard Balcony stateroom = 251 square feet of which the cabin is 177 square feet and the balcony is 74 square feet.

NCL Gem = Standard Balcony Stateroom = 162 to 167 square feet with a balcony of 38 square feet.

Interior Staterooms

Carnival Freedom Category 4 = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS Standard Inside = 152 square feet.

NCL Gem Standard Interior = 141 square feet

Suites

Carnival Freedom Category 11 = 330 square feet of which the cabin is 245 square feet plus 85 square feet for the balcony.

Liberty OTS Junior Suite = 388 square feet of which cabin is 287 square feet and balcony is 101 square feet.

NCL Gem - Mini Suite = Cabin is 231 Square feet with a 54 square foot balcony

Carnival Freedom Catergory 12 = 415 square feet of which the cabin is 300 square feet plus 115 square feet.

Liberty of the Seas Grand Suite = 513 square feet of which the cabin is 387 square feet and the balcony is 126 square feet.

NCL Gem - Penthouse Suites = Categories AB = Cabin size of 492 square feet and a balcony size of 54 square feet.

Both NCL and RCI offer other suites that are not listed.

You're kidding' date=' right?

PE[/quote']

I'm with you, PE. I have found the NCL production shows are far better than any other cruise line I have been on. I have done a total of 21 cruises, I am a RCCL diamond member, have cruised also on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Carnival. (Just a bit of my cruise history because I don't have the info in my signature).

Anyway, IMHO, NCL production shows have always had superior talent, production values and always include specialty acts. The only entertainment that equals NCL's shows are RCCL's ice shows on their larger ships.

You'll get lots of different answers here... not only are personal preferences a factor, but ship, staff, and timing also have a big affect on your cruise experience. My first cruise was on Carnival and I was simply amazed and fell in love with cruising. My 2nd was on RCI and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't quite like my first Carnival cruise. I liked the food and entertainment better on Carnival and they had more going on at night. After that, price also affected my choices. I have gone on a few more Carnival cruises, 1 Celebrity cruise and one on Costa. My absolute favorite was Celebrity - doesn't even compare in all aspects! Costa was my least favorite. Now I'm trying NCL and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I do like the idea of getting to know your waiter, but we're taking our 1 yo and the freestyle dining was the reason we're going with NCL. It would have to take something major for me not to enjoy a cruise!!!

freestyle dining will work great with your little one. It is hard to expect a toddler to eat at the very same time each night plus even if she/he does at home it may not be 6:15 or 8:30. 5:45 may work better or 7:15. Of course you have more choices as well.

NIta

I'll read him this post and work on swaying him to being open to trying NCL.

I think you'll both be very happy with the Dawn. She's a beautiful ship. As others have said, the main difference will be with the freestyle dining which some love and some hate. For most, it's what brings them back to NCL, I'm one of the them. LOVE my freestyle.

One more thing....any vegetarians out there have any opinions on the food of NCL?

I'm not a vegetarian (maybe others will chime in), but I would take a guess that your choices on NCL would be the same as other cruise lines.

You will see below that Carnival does not reign supreme as they have in the past other than the standard inside cabin. RCI older ships such as the Sovereign class do have small cabins but the Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class which make up about 65% of the berths in the fleet match up with the other lines.

Cabin Sizes for the three lines on the three newest ships.

Outside cabins

Carnival Freedom 5A porthole outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS - outside stateroom = 161 square feet.

NCL Gem - Ocean View = 161 Square feet

Carnival Freedom 6A - standard outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS - Large outside stateroom = 200 square feet

Balcony cabins

Carnival Freedom 8A - Standard balcony stateroom = 220 square feet of which the cabin is 185 square feet and the balcony is 35 square feet.

Liberty OTS - Standard Balcony stateroom = 251 square feet of which the cabin is 177 square feet and the balcony is 74 square feet.

NCL Gem = Standard Balcony Stateroom = 162 to 167 square feet with a balcony of 38 square feet.

Interior Staterooms

Carnival Freedom Category 4 = 185 square feet

Liberty OTS Standard Inside = 152 square feet.

NCL Gem Standard Interior = 141 square feet

Suites

Carnival Freedom Category 11 = 330 square feet of which the cabin is 245 square feet plus 85 square feet for the balcony.

Liberty OTS Junior Suite = 388 square feet of which cabin is 287 square feet and balcony is 101 square feet.

NCL Gem - Mini Suite = Cabin is 231 Square feet with a 54 square foot balcony

Carnival Freedom Catergory 12 = 415 square feet of which the cabin is 300 square feet plus 115 square feet.

Liberty of the Seas Grand Suite = 513 square feet of which the cabin is 387 square feet and the balcony is 126 square feet.

NCL Gem - Penthouse Suites = Categories AB = Cabin size of 492 square feet and a balcony size of 54 square feet.

Both NCL and RCI offer other suites that are not listed.

Thanks, of course you are pretty much correct. It does depend on the ship and the class, but not always the age. I was using a generalization which doesn't take into consideration every detail. We could compare the garden villas on NCl with other lines, etc, not to mention the lay out of the cabins. Again I was just giving a generalization. Thanks for the information.....

Nita

We took the Pride of Aloha in November for our first NCLA cruise. While not exactly NCL it was close enough to determine that I probably won't cruise NCL again. I've done 7 RCI cruises, 1 Carnival and 1 NCLA. I found RCI and Carnival very close but NCLA a couple of notches below.

Basman...

It is unfortunate that you are comparing NCLA to NCL. They are not equal in any way, shape or form. Take a cruise on NCL's newest ships, Pearl and Gem and then tell me how they are two notches below RCCL. You'll see what I mean if you give NCL a try on these newest ships.

I am Diamond on RCCL but NCL is still my favorite cruise line for their Freestyle Dining option. IMHO, you can't beat it.

We have sailed many RCI ships and only 1 NCL, Star Alaska. The dining room service on NCL left a lot to be desired. Even the one night we went to Cagney's, we had terrible service. However, the service in all the other restaurants was great. We happened to have had dinner the first night and breakfast another night with the same awful waitress. She told us repeatedly that there were other venues to eat. She was also slow and rude.

We didn't eat any other meals in the dining room because of her. We also put her name etc on our comments when we left the ship.

I liked the barbecue out on the deck on NCL. Nothing like that on RCI.

I liked all the choices of places to have dinner. I thought the food was ok, not great, but I don't think RCI is that great anymore either.

I do believe the ships of NCL are gaudy compared to RCI. They tend to decorate more in the Carnival style than the quiet elegance of RCI.

Our cabin steward on NCL was good and overall, we enjoyed the cruise on NCL enough that we are going to Alaska on NCL Pearl.

Both cruise lines have good and bad points. I think you should give it a try and see how you feel after the cruise. You might really enjoy it and want to sail NCL again.

Enjoy!

I guess it's all a matter of taste but my take is that NCL's ships, especially the newest Pearl and Gem are stunning. I won't take another Carnival cruise because of the gaudiness of their ships. Even their newest ship is decorated by the same designer they have had for many years. Just awful.

NCL ships are fun and whimsical where fun and whimsey are very welcome. The colors all work together and folks have claimed they have a different feel about the ships once they experience them in person. They have elegant venues where elegance is embraced, ie: Le Bistro. NCL has artwork on their ships that are the best at sea.

Just my take and I have cruised six different mass market cruise lines.

I have cruised on the Dawn out of NY and the Explorer out of Bayonne both twice. I would definitely have to give the edge to RCI. While i do prefer the Freestyle concept, there are many things on RCI that would keep me coming back, many less on NCL. Just keep in mind this is all based on previous cruises and NCL is rolling out Freestyle 2.0 fleet wide which may address alot of my complaints. The food on RCI was in my book, definitely a step up from NCL. One of my biggest gripes were the desserts on NCL, they were all the same. I read in a review a couple days that was complaining about the gelatinous desserts on NCL, i thought i was the only one who notices this. Practically every dessert was in gelatinous form, just in a different shape/flavor. Would have killed to get some sort of cake or something. The menu's are just very uninspiring, not that i went hungry, was just never like WOW, i just had a really great meal. RCI, i got that WOW factor every now and then. I know both lines are of course in business to make money, but NCL is way more in your face about it, RCI a bit more subtle as far as extra cost items go. Now down to the ships themselves. First off i feel the need to point out that i have read alot of people saying they would never cruise on the big RCI ships because of the amout of people on them. The Dawn to me, definitely felt more crowded, the passenger space ratio on RCI's large ships is the lowest out of any other mainstream lines ships. Comparing the 2 ships themselves, i will say i would have to give the edge to the Dawn, only for the feeling it gave me though. When i am on a cruise i like to feel as if i am at sea, the Explorer did not afford me that feeling, i always felt enclosed. WOW factor of the ships?.....Did not get it on the Dawn, it was a pretty ship, but cannot even compare to the WOW factor of a Voyager/Freedom class ship. My biggest gripe with the Dawn though was the pool area. They have 1 pool (really 2, but the other is an indoor lap pool which carries an extra expense) while the Explorer had 3 pools. Hope this was of some help to you in your decision making.

Now im just waiting for someone to pick apart my post, i have my fire-proof suit on, so im ready...:p

Happy Cruising!

I am an NCL cheerleader for sure. I do, however, agree with you about the gelatinous deserts NCL serves. I found the deserts in their buffet venues to be of inferior quality and selection because of how they are prepared and they all taste the same. I did not find this to be the case in the main dining rooms nor the Specialty reasaurants. In fact, NCL's specialty restaurants have excellent deserts.

In a way, I was glad the deserts in the buffet venue did not tempt me to indulge. Just more calories I could use for dinner and dinner deserts!!!

As others have said, you'll get so many variations on opinions about all different aspects between the two cruiselines. Your only problem with sailing on NCL, will be that you'll then add another cruise line of ships to choose from when making future cruise decisions, therefore making your choice harder.

Personally, I don't believe in a bad cruise on any ship, unless of course its one they say I have to row.:D

LOL, love your sense of humor and it is sooo true what you said.

We just got off the Jewel and I have to say I was slightly dissappointed...If you are after service and overall dining experience, I'd look elsewhere..my opinion..
very surprising as most love both on the Jewel. I guess it is like our experience on the Golden Princess, we were very disappointed in the service but most rave about it. I guess a particular steward, wait person, or an entire week can make a difference. The only disappointment we had on the Jewel and it certainly wasn't bad was our cabin stewardess, just like Princess, she wasn't really bad, certainly nothing special and she didn't introduce herself. it took us about 5 days to figure out who our person was.

I did think the cabins were a tiny small but the bathrooms were great.

Nita

My DH and are are RCI fans, I'll start with that. Our NCL cruise had great food as did our RCI cruises. I had no complaints with either ships entertainment in the theater. Although I do not like singing and dancing we prefer comedians, magic and such. I can not say one is better than the other as entertainment is subjetive as is food. We found the late night entertainment (after all production shows have ended) to be more lively on RCI. I personally love the Promonade and missed it on NCL. I fould NCL's staff to not be attentive and just plain rude on our cruise (I understand that each and every cruise is different and each person has a different experience this was mine). Getting off the ship was easier but getting on was a nightmare on our sailing.

All in all it depends on what you like and dislike. Personally I do not care about freestyle or traditional I will eat when I'm hungry and both ships offer ample food. I like to dress up therefore I will probably continue to choose RCI but am open to NCL in the future. We are going on a 2 night this year. As Nita told me I have to try a line at least 2x before boycotting them completely.

Bottom line do what is right for you and trying other lines might just give you a reason to come back to RCI or whomever you choose in the future.

I have cruised on the Dawn out of NY and the Explorer out of Bayonne both twice. I would definitely have to give the edge to RCI. While i do prefer the Freestyle concept, there are many things on RCI that would keep me coming back, many less on NCL. Just keep in mind this is all based on previous cruises and NCL is rolling out Freestyle 2.0 fleet wide which may address alot of my complaints. The food on RCI was in my book, definitely a step up from NCL. One of my biggest gripes were the desserts on NCL, they were all the same. I read in a review a couple days that was complaining about the gelatinous desserts on NCL, i thought i was the only one who notices this. Practically every dessert was in gelatinous form, just in a different shape/flavor. Would have killed to get some sort of cake or something. The menu's are just very uninspiring, not that i went hungry, was just never like WOW, i just had a really great meal. RCI, i got that WOW factor every now and then. I know both lines are of course in business to make money, but NCL is way more in your face about it, RCI a bit more subtle as far as extra cost items go. Now down to the ships themselves. First off i feel the need to point out that i have read alot of people saying they would never cruise on the big RCI ships because of the amout of people on them. The Dawn to me, definitely felt more crowded, the passenger space ratio on RCI's large ships is the lowest out of any other mainstream lines ships. Comparing the 2 ships themselves, i will say i would have to give the edge to the Dawn, only for the feeling it gave me though. When i am on a cruise i like to feel as if i am at sea, the Explorer did not afford me that feeling, i always felt enclosed. WOW factor of the ships?.....Did not get it on the Dawn, it was a pretty ship, but cannot even compare to the WOW factor of a Voyager/Freedom class ship. My biggest gripe with the Dawn though was the pool area. They have 1 pool (really 2, but the other is an indoor lap pool which carries an extra expense) while the Explorer had 3 pools. Hope this was of some help to you in your decision making.

Now im just waiting for someone to pick apart my post, i have my fire-proof suit on, so im ready...:p

Happy Cruising!

We're probably going to book the Dawn to Bermuda in October. Love the idea of being in Bermuda for three full days rather than just 30 hours on the Explorer.

again all this is a matter of opinion and it doesnt make much difference whether you worked on the ships, cruised them or are going on what others have said: for us, the entertainment on NCL is far better than Rci but again, opinion is all this is.

Nita

Well Nita I seem to have offended you somehow, which was certainly not my intent. Let me clarify that my original post was a response to the original poster's query, stating my opinion and limited experience; not an argument with anyone elses' rights or cruise knowledge.

As I posted, I've been off ships for five years. I'm on these boards to learn. Hopefully I'm allowed to chime in my own thoughts, as well? I'm actually very interested in hearing differing opinions, especially when backed up by reasoned argument. :)

The problem with the Bermuda run is that almost ALL the ships are tiny, except for the Explorer and the Dawn. The larger ships have no choice but to stay at King's Wharf. I think freestyle makes more sense in Bermuda. You can stay on the island later and not have to rush back to the ship to make your seating. However, getting back to the ship will take longer because you are docked ALL the way out at the wharf.

Having been on both the Explorer and the Dawn - I think I would prefer the Dawn. But if the Radiance went to Bermuda - I'd be on it in a flash!

Going out of NYC was a nightmare that I would not be happy to repeat. I have not been to Bayone so I really can't compare.

Hey guys! We usually cruise w/Royal Caribbean but we want to book a Bermuda cruise this September or October. Royal only has 5 day Bermuda cruises so we're looking at the Norwegian Dawn 7 day out of NY because we'd prefer to stay longer in Bermuda and the price is the same. Anyone out there have experience with both lines? What are the major differences between the two lines? My main thing is the service. We once strayed to Carnival and the one thing I really missed was the wonderful service that you get from RCCL. Does NCL have a great staff or are they just so/so? Also, how is the food?

Any input would help!

Thanks!

Laura

Hi. I have sailed on both cruise linesto Bermuda as my friend these boards Suseanjean from Mt Kisco, NY (a CIA trained Chef). (I also have have sailed on the QE2, the old Love Boat "Pacific Princess:" and Radisson Navigator to Bermuda. Smellytoes - we sailed with her to Bermuda last fall and she is a great critic of service/restuarant managers/maitre d' hotel's.

I would say that the service is the same on both ships. You are going to get more of a personal "feel" from having the same wait staff every night on RCCL, but they try very hard on NCL to be a accommodating even with Freestyle Dining.

My main concern is with the number of days. The 5 day cruise is definately too short. If you can get 7 for the same price do it. Neither ship goes to St George or Hamilton (just King's Wharf - the Royal Dockyard) so you get the same port (you can take the ferry/bus to anywhere).

The Dawn is a beautiful ship - have sailed on it twice (2003/2005). We took the Voyager of the Seas on the RCCL trip in 2006 and the service was great, but there is no ship like the Dawn.

The NCL Crown used to do the Bermuda sailings and we have taken this ship several times (as recently as 10/2007). We loved the service and cuisine on the Crown. We took the Dawn to Florida and the Bahamas. Both had great food and service.

It is my understanding that the Dawn will be tendering in Bermuda and there only 2 nights (the small boats usually spending 3 nights - which is still better than 1 night on RCCL). King's Wharf has only one berth and I guess NCL is not sure if it will tender or berth.

We used to take the QE2 to Bermuda in Mayand late September and all times were told we would tender, but the port turned out to be open so our Captain (Paul Wright) made the decesion to dock at the wharf.

Well Nita I seem to have offended you somehow, which was certainly not my intent. Let me clarify that my original post was a response to the original poster's query, stating my opinion and limited experience; not an argument with anyone elses' rights or cruise knowledge.

As I posted, I've been off ships for five years. I'm on these boards to learn. Hopefully I'm allowed to chime in my own thoughts, as well? I'm actually very interested in hearing differing opinions, especially when backed up by reasoned argument. :)

Oh I wasn't particularly offended, my point was it is all a matter of personal opinion and I happen to feel there is little comparison between the entertainmant on NCL versus RCI. Of course many will disagree with me on this. I happen to feel when it comes to nightly entertainment NCL has the best. Other things maybe not the best.

Nita

Not at all -- I worked for years with both production teams; also on Cunard with Jean Ann Ryan. RCI certainly pays the most $, which I think garners better talent; then again, NCL offers better perks (i.e. sweet outside passenger cabin when I cruised Alaska). But I'll give you that I've not cruised since 2002 -- perhaps things have changed? The theatres on the Voyager class RCI ships rival any I've seen in NYC or Vegas, production value-wise. Jean Ann, I think, may cater to a more "upscale" audience...apples and oranges, really.

I'm interested in the comparison, though -- what do you think is better/worse with the entertainment, line to line?

Oh I'll chime in from my experience--I have found Disney's cast members to be more talented than the folks I have experienced on RCI. Now, there are many who would not like a Disney-themed show, so you have to weigh that in, of course. But then, I did not get to see the productions YOU were a part of on RCI, so perhaps I missed out on the best the line had to offer;)

Thanks all for this thread--I've just gotten an NCL Mastercard to begin working on a discount for a future cruise to try Freestyle (we never use the dining room on RCI any more, we split the cruise between the specialty restaurants and the Windjammer when it comes to dinner--and if no specialty restaurants on the older ships, well, three nights of Windjammer buffet is fine, too--DS is happy both ways, and we never felt that our RCI dining room experiences measured up to our Disney rotational dining experiences--but again, those were our experiences with our server teams). I've read some reviews describing Freestyle dining as a PIA for lines and waits, same as on land, while others praising it. Do the repeat cruisers in whatever recognition club or those in suites have a priority so that newbies like me get what amounts to a later round pick (sports draft analogy)? Though if I do have to wake up early to get a good ressie, I am an early riser, so maybe it would not be a problem.

Archived