Dinning Recommendation/Question

chipmaster

Hi All

We'll be a group of 11 ( 5 adults, 3 seniors, 3 kids ) sailing on the Emerald Venice-Barcelona. We're currently wait listed for the late seating. My experience in the past with late seating is by the time you are done many nights you are pushing 10pm and with the many stops getting everyone up for an early disembark for such a larger party will be a challenge. 6PM sounds great for getting head start and a good nights sleep for the next day, but bad for rushing in from a busy day in port. Anytime sounds like the best compromise letting me to set the time to balance the big group.

This will be our first time on Princess with "Anytime Dining" I have a couple ? about this as it sounds perfect!

1) Menu / Service/ room: Same as the traditional dining ( YMMV of course)

2 Quality of food: shouldn't this be better as it won't be served up for thousands but more cooked to order?

3) Seating for such a larger party. I assume no issue for getting a table for 11.

4) Reservations, like a standard dining place can I make a reservation daily for a different time. Can I expect prompt seating?

Thanks in advance!

The food/menu is identical whether you have it in the traditional diningroom or in personal choice diningrooms.

There is usually one or two tables that can seat 10/12 and you most likely will be able to secure one for the same time each night in personal choice dining. See the maitre d' as soon as you board or immediately after they start taking requests.

No, you will not be able to dine at a different time every night, unless your group separates. In that respect, you won't need the large table.

Pia

I disagree with Pia in one respect. I think you will be able to dine at different times each day IF you are amenable to sitting at two tables near each other. We like anytime dining and never reserve a table but just walk up. There are two anytime dining rooms and if there is a line at one we just go to the other one.

I disagree with Pia in one respect. I think you will be able to dine at different times each day IF you are amenable to sitting at two tables near each other. We like anytime dining and never reserve a table but just walk up. There are two anytime dining rooms and if there is a line at one we just go to the other one.

You may disagree with me, but the fact is the OP wanted them to dine together. Near each other does not necessarily mean next to each other. And, there are three children involved, the ages of whom you don't know. How many times have you just "walked up" with a group of 11?

Anytime will usually only take reservations for 6 and 8:30 - you have a special situation and you should see what you can work out with the Maitr De - you may have to settle for the same time every night - or you can walk up and try for one table or two adjacent tables.

Ron

The beauty of Anytime Dining is that you can choose to dine at a different time each night, which is especially helpful on a port-intensive itinerary. The flexibility is priceless.

And while it may be difficult to get the whole party seated at the same table, we've noticed that large groups often sit at several tables next to each other and rotate the seating each night so that everybody gets a chance to sit with everybody over the course of a cruise. They always looked like they were having a fabulous time!

Enjoy!

Talk to the Maitre d' the first night, call as soon as you board for your first night's dining reservation,

Set a time for each time, it may be 6 or 6:30. If you don't show up within 15 minutes of that time you lose your table and maybe have to eat buffet that night, but when people are tired that's not such a bad choice. Often the buffet has the exact same main courses as the main dining rooms.

Your best bet is to talk to the Maitre D when you board and explain your situation. The end result is that you'll probably have to have a set time for every night -- otherwise, the dining room won't be able to accommodate you all at the same time.

Generally, you cannot make a reservation for between 6 - 8PM, which are "walk ups" only so that it might be difficult to just walk up with a group that large and expect to be seated.

As OP have said, work out a fixed time in Anytime with the maitre'd. The room captains cannot help you, and if you ask them they'll tell you "No". some people take this as the final answer and sulk away. You can probably keep the same table/waiter as well, but to increase your chances set an early dinner reservation close to opening. We did this once, waiting to find a good wait team before making our table/time fixed. One thing about Anytime is the waiters are not presured to turn your table to get it ready for the next seating, unlike in traditional fixed dining. Nice benefit there.

We did this trip last may and it was wonderful. The sail away from Venice was spectacular IMHO, so if the ship still sails around noon, don't make the mistake of eating lunch in the dining room and missing the whole enchilada.

Archived