Can I make a 10:40 flight in Ft Lauderdale...

jesters

The itinerary says the Enchantment will dock at 6:30am in Ft Lauderdale (this is a Monday). There is a 10:40am flight. We plan to do the 'self disembarkation'. Any thoughts?

Also- what time can you get in line at the port to board? What time does actual boarding usually start?

Thanks!!!

It all depends on customs and how many ships are in port that morning. On the Navigator in November after the transatlantic we were scheduled to get off at 9:30am and it was 11:45 by the time we got out of the terminal building. It was very slow. Fortunately I had a 1pm flight.

Good luck. I would shoot for a later flight, but you probably can make it if you are diligent about getting off first.

jc

I do self assist each time and coming off Enchantment was the only time I wasn't sure if I was going to make it for a 10am flight. They dock at 0700 but can not open the gangway until they are cleared by Customs- so 0830 is really the earliest you can get off. WE could not get a straight answer from anyone as to where the best place for self assists to wait was, the lounge we were eventually told to go to was full of people hoping to be first off- so we ended up standing in the hallway leading to the gangway. Once you finally get off the ship you can get a taxi and be at the airport in 15-20mins. Do curbside check-in for your flight and go straight to security. You will be cutting it fine, but have plan B available..... good luck :)

I was coming from the Port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale aiport and made a 9:00 AM flight no problem. I also did the self disembark and was in a taxi by 7:00. We had a 12:00 flight but got there so early we got on a 9:00 with time to eat first!

For Jesters: I note that this is your third post (so Welcome to Cruise Critic!), does this also mean you are new to cruising? If so, I want to expand on what someone else mentioned- for self-disembarkation, you must carry all of your own bags off the ship and through most of the terminal. You will eventually move out of the secure area, where you will find porters ready to help. But initially, you will not have any one to help you nor will you have luggage dollies to use. And you will have to either negotiate an escalator or wait for a slow elevator (with many other passengers). Once outside the terminal, there were lots of taxis; the airport is not far from the cruise erminal.

As for embarkation, we arrived early (before 11 AM), and were seated in rows according to arrival time. The lines opened about 11, and we proceeded through the security check and then on to process the paperwork. We were onboard by 11:30. The buffet opened at 12:00.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Enchantment (5 day in 1/08). The ship is lovely. Have a great time!

Archived