Would you book this flight?

krmckee

While I would prefer to arrive earlier, I see no reason why this flight wouldn't work. It is only about 15 to 20 minutes from TPA to the pier. I wouldn't consider booking anything that arrives past 1:00 though. You are cutting it tight.

No, I personally would not book that flight. Other types of delays are possible, such as mechanical problems, etc. I am a worrywart, though. I'm sure there are lots of people who wouldn't hesitate to book it.

Personally, I always fly in the day before my cruise. Flew in same day on my first cruise, and our flight was delayed because there was fog in L.A., where we were flying TO. I was a nervous wreck, but we did make it. I vowed then and there, though, to always fly in the day before and save myself the stress.

I personally have just paid a $146 penalty to change arrival from Sunday to Saturday. I was arriving in Miami at 10:20am on day of cruise which was to leave @ 4pm. I am now arriving at 10:20am on Saturday, the day before we sail. When we cruised from San Juan, we arrived at 1:00pm and sailed same day at 10:00pm there was a huge window for error. However, the Cruise Critic gang gave good advise for my next cruise and I decided to switch flights. Believe me even though I just paid a big penalty, I feel much more relieved. Good Luck and Happy Sailing:)

I like to fly in the day before. On my first cruise ever, we booked a flight for the day of to arrive at noon as well. Just our luck, there was a computer failure for many of the airlines (including ours), and we didn't set foot in Galveston till 4 (sail time)! We were flown to the next port courtesy of the airline, but we still missed the first 2 nights:(

It was a 7 night cruise but still.... :)

Just because there may not be weather where you are, you have to consider where your plane may be coming from. I have never flown in the same day my cruise leaves...too many variables and I want on that ship! So, in answer to your question, NO I would not take that flight.

That flight is too late.

My parents came to visit me recently and on their way down, they were delayed 2 hours waiting for a flight crew to arrive on a late arriving plane.

On the way home the flight was canceled all together, because the flight crew never made it in time for the flight to take place.

This was two different airlines.

If at all possible fly in the day before, find a hotel near the port, and arrive at the ship well rested and fresh ready for vacation.

MAC

I would not touch that flight. Weather is only part of the possible troubles. Flying out of MCO earlier this month after a cruise two planes took mechanicals and were grounded while we waited for our flight. One was going to Europe and the other Dallas/LA. All of the other flights out for the rest of that day were already full. Lots of people were missing flights, vacations, etc. The boat will sail with or without you.

Original poster here. Thanks for all the replies! I love CC!

More info on our decision making:

-Prefer to fly the day of since we are leaving the kids with grandparents and are asking a lot of them already.

-To fly day of we only have 2 options. The only other direct option is on Ted (United) arriving at 11am and the on time arrival rate for that flight is only 70%.

-This flight we are considering (arriving at 12:38pm) is Us Airways with a 90% ontime arrival rate.

Those are my only 2 non-stop otions for flying that day. Aside for the new United baggage policy - any pros or cons for one vs another?

I would NOT take that flight. As far as US Airways, not sure about your airport but out of Philly they are a nightmare, always delays, late, lost luggage, bumping people. I only fly them if I am going the day before my cruise which I started doing after the first couple I thought we would be fine and almost missed the ship.

USAir is a nightmare out of Philadelphia, their hub. Since you won't be going through Philly it shouldn't be an issue for you. I agree with everyone else that posted about flying a day earlier but if I was facing your dilemma I would go ahead and book the USAir flight arriving at 12:38.

:eek: We have a flight from Raleigh, NC to Fort Lauderdale that leaves at 10:00AM and arrives at 12:30PM on the day of the cruise. After reading this thread, I am tempted to make a change and arrive a day early. Our cruise is March 23, '08. My wife is more worried than I am. I am more of an optimist.

Personally I would be a wreck with worry but that is my nature. If you decide to go for it just buy insurance that will cover the delay if there is one. It would be worth the little extra to have piece of mind. Have fun on your cruise!!!!!

:eek: We have a flight from Raleigh, NC to Fort Lauderdale that leaves at 10:00AM and arrives at 12:30PM on the day of the cruise. After reading this thread, I am tempted to make a change and arrive a day early. Our cruise is March 23, '08. My wife is more worried than I am. I am more of an optimist.

I haven't used optimism and Airline industry in the same sentence in a while!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

USAir is a nightmare out of Philadelphia, their hub. Since you won't be going through Philly it shouldn't be an issue for you. I agree with everyone else that posted about flying a day earlier but if I was facing your dilemma I would go ahead and book the USAir flight arriving at 12:38.

Thank you.

Had I booked a flight option with Carnival or a TA, would they put me on a flight the same day or the day before? If day of - how early or late do you think they would have me arriving. I agree day before is best but I gotta wonder if most people do this or just us - homework&cc-loving-do-our-own-research-types???

Thank you.

Had I booked a flight option with Carnival or a TA, would they put me on a flight the same day or the day before? If day of - how early or late do you think they would have me arriving. I agree day before is best but I gotta wonder if most people do this or just us - homework&cc-loving-do-our-own-research-types???

If you book your flight with Carnival your liklihood of missing the ship is slimmer from what I understand! I have heard of the ships waiting for delayed flights when the passengers were on the fly aweigh program (flight through carnival). Of course you will pay a premium for that flight. If your TA books it it is no different than if you book it.

Carnival will bring you in the same day unless you specify otherwise.

I haven't used optimism and Airline industry in the same sentence in a while!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

It really does seem to be getting worse every day, just about everyone that I know that has flown lately has had major delays.

It is to the point now, that if I can drive there in one day(even a 12 or 14 hour drive), I will not fly, it is just not worth the hassle.

MAC

I wouldn't book that flight either....for all the reasons mentioned. Plus, do you really want to be thinking about making the ship from now until May?

Change your flights now and don't look back. We love visitors here in TPA so come down and spend a peaceful pre-cruise day :D

I've had flight times change all over the place...without letting you know:eek: I've also had flights cancelled after booking and again, you're put on the next best thing, that isn't always what YOU want.

Please go the day before...anything can happen as other posters have said, mechanicals, delays, storms, etc.

Cruise departs at 4pm. Direct flight (nonstop) from Washington DC to Tampa arriving at 12:38pm? Cruise is in May so no chace of snow/ice storm. Would you book it or is it too close a call?

If you absolutely HAVE to go down the same day, reconsider the flight time and take the earlier flight of that popular airline that leaves about 8:30am. That's a safer bet, and if there is a delay of any kind, you will be booked on the first flight out of DC, so if there is a trickle-down in delayed flights, you'll still be first out. But, don't chance it. Go down the day before. Tampa is a beautiful city with so much to do no matter what your preference is. Just did the Inspiration 2/6-11 and did it that way. Best way to go!:D :D

Cruise departs at 4pm. Direct flight (nonstop) from Washington DC to Tampa arriving at 12:38pm? Cruise is in May so no chace of snow/ice storm. Would you book it or is it too close a call?

That flight should be OK as long as none of the following things happen:

- mechanical delays

- sick crew members

- morning fog

- thunderstorm activity in the area

- closed airways

- ground stops

- equipment swap

- overbooked flight

- security breach

- gate holds

- diversions

- cancellation

- delayed inbound aircraft

- delays due to crewmember rest time

- lost luggage

If you must absolutely fly on the day of departure, consider travel insurance. Even though nothing will bring back the days that you could miss from your vacation because of a delayed or cancelled flight, at least it will give you some peace of mind.

Archived