What happens if one can't go

kit9172

Can someone tell me if the other person in the cabin can't go on the cruise can the other person go alone or if they get someone else to go can they go?

My friend's husband will be too sick to go and the insurance he took out will cover the cost of the cruise but I thought I had read awhile ago or maybe on another board that the other person cannot go. I couldn't find anything in search so please help.

Most will allow a name change up to a certain point in time. Not sure when or what the restrictions, if any, there are. You'd have to call your travel agent or the cruise line directly if you booked direct. Also, if the person that has to cancel has insurance that would take care of their portion and I think the other person can sail alone if thats what they wish. Hope that helped.:)

Can someone tell me if the other person in the cabin can't go on the cruise can the other person go alone or if they get someone else to go can they go?

My friend's husband will be too sick to go and the insurance he took out will cover the cost of the cruise but I thought I had read awhile ago or maybe on another board that the other person cannot go. I couldn't find anything in search so please help.

Hopefully, you will get additional replies but, as far as I know...if only one person is in the cabin, that person willl have to pay the 2 passenger fee.

Yes, they can get someone else to go with them, that person will pay for his own cruise also. Thus covering the 2 passenger cabin fare.

I'm assuming you mean that the sick passenger will be able to collect his insurance which means he has already made final payment and can collect his fare.

Hopefully, you will get additional replies but, as far as I know...if only one person is in the cabin, that person willl have to pay the 2 passenger fee.

Yes, they can get someone else to go with them, that person will pay for his own cruise also. Thus covering the 2 passenger cabin fare.

They must make the name change and also register.

I'm assuming you mean that the sick passenger will be able to collect his insurance which means he has already made final payment and can collect his fare.

You can call NCL or your TA, this should not be a problem.

Good Luck:)

They must make the name change and also register.

You can call NCL or your TA, this should not be a problem.

Good Luck:)

as far as I know you are correct. Either there should be a second person going or the price will be double for the single. In otherwards there would be no reason to even try to get the insurance money back as the rate for one is the same as two except for government taxes.

Ntia

I always thought the single rate was 1.5 times the rate not 2 times the rate. If final payment is made then the cruise line has the payment for 2, the insurance does not change that, it just pays back the money to the person that cannot go, the cruise line does not lose this money.

If final payment is made then the cruise line has the payment for 2, the insurance does not change that, it just pays back the money to the person that cannot go, the cruise line does not lose this money.

If that is true, then the new passenger would only have to make a name change.

A few points.

1. If one person No-Shows at the pier then the other who has paid their fare boards the ship as normal and has a nice cruise. The no-show is out the money for the cruise and can take it up with the insurance for payment.

2. One person cannot go and "sells" their fare to a friend for the name change fee. The original passenger and replacement passenger go on trip and have fun. Original person #2 is out the cost of the trip.

3. Same as #2 but this time the person that cannot go turns in to insurance for the trip they have "sold" The cruiseline has no record of the passenger due to the change of name on the cabin and the person that caouldn't go is now looking at insurance fraud.

you could try to add a 3rd person to your cabin, this way the original person who cannot go will be able to legally get the refund from the insurance company, and your friend who can go will have a discounted cruise and you wont be sailing alone (unless thats what you like to do)

I would not rely on posts here to get a totally accurate answer to this question, as many insurance have different wording covering this type of situation. My only experience was a case where my mother and her friend had a suite booked on a ship. My mother was quite ill, they urged me to go along as there was a private section for me to sleep, so I agreed. I got an extremely low, third passenger rate. Subsequently, my mom passed, and we decided to go ahead on the cruise to celebrate her love of cruising. Insurance covered her cost, and In still sailed at the third person rate. If your replacement passenger books before you cancel for health reasons, the third party rate might be possible. On the other hand, if you do a replacement passenger, I would think the insurance company would only cover the cost of the name change, and would expect the replacing passenger to reimburse the non sailing passenger,

Final payment has been made so then if she wants to go alone it will not cost her anything since the cruiseline has already been paid. Is this correct? The sick passenger would just submit a claim to the insurance for his share back.

Final payment has been made so then if she wants to go alone it will not cost her anything since the cruiseline has already been paid. Is this correct? The sick passenger would just submit a claim to the insurance for his share back.

I disagree - that does not sound right at all. If this were true, the sick person who purchased the insurance would not be out any money, and the person taking over the spot would cruise for free, and the insurance company would be paying for it! That's not right!

I think if someone took over the booking and sailed that person would either have to pay the usual fare, or the insurance company would deny the claim because the fare was indeed being used.

You see, if someone substitutes a name on a reservation and sails, there is no claim to be made, since no cruise was lost. In that case, presumably the person sailing would pay the sick person directly and no claim would be filed.

If a claim is filed and paid, that person's cruise fare should not be transferred to anyone else. If someone wants to sail in that space they should pay the going rate like everyone else!

This is correct. If the second passenger cannot travel the cruiseline makes no refund but the first passenger travels without having to pay any additional fees.

If the passenger that does not travel wants to take it up with the insurance company any refund would be between the traveler who stayed home and the insurance company. The insurance claim would only pay for the traveler who did not make the trip.

The cruise line has no interest in this except to verify that the named passenger did not make the cruise.

If another person replaces the missing traveler then the insurance company may not pay the claim. It is also important to note that if the passenger is replaced the insurance company should be told the details of what happened to avoid any fraud issues.

The best advice is to read the insurance policy and check with the insurance company as soon as possible.

you could try to add a 3rd person to your cabin, this way the original person who cannot go will be able to legally get the refund from the insurance company, and your friend who can go will have a discounted cruise and you wont be sailing alone (unless thats what you like to do)

This would be a good idea if your cabin can support a 3rd passenger.

Example:

Passenger 1 (you): $2000

Passenger 2 (person who can not go): $2000

Passenger 3 (replacement person): $350

Passenger 2 who can not go claims cruise insurance and gets the $2000 back, pax 3 only has to pay the 3rd person rate.

Keep in mind, this could border on insurance fraud if you had no intention of taking the 3rd person before you found out that the second pax could not go and would be claiming travel insurance.

So if the order of events was, "Jane should go with us, that would be great! .... oh uh, you're sick and can not go now, how SAD." you are fine and in the clear.

If instead it was, "uh oh, you're sick and can not go now.... wait! I'll add Jane as a 3rd person, you get your money back, and it makes the cruise cheaper!" then that is insurance fraud.

Kit, Please read the cancellation policy on NCL's web site. If you cancel less than eight days before a cruise, 100% of the fare is forfeited. Then insurance would kck in and pay the full fare minus the insurance fee( if purchased thru NCL) From 8 days to 45(I think) 50% is refunded by NCL and 50% refunded by insurance. 45 to 75 days the forfeited amt is the deposit. NCL would reimburse the fare minus the deposit amt and then the insurance would kick in the deposit amt. Taxes and port charges are figured in there somehow by NCL to be reimbursed.

We had to cancel a cruise (dh had unexpected surgery). Our very reliable TA advised us to wait until the last time frame (seven days).because we did have insurance. It was the thought that possibly he would be given the clearance to go. OR if I wanted to go alone, I could. I chose to cancel also and we did so sooner than the less than eight day time frame when we agreed it would be best to wait for another time.

I would check with the insurance company to make sure.

Also call NCL and check to see how much of a supplement it would be if the cruise is cancelled at the 50% and one passenger still travels.

So many things to consider. NOW, the important issue, I hope your friend's husband is doing okay and I wish them the best..Connie

I always thought the single rate was 1.5 times the rate not 2 times the rate. If final payment is made then the cruise line has the payment for 2, the insurance does not change that, it just pays back the money to the person that cannot go, the cruise line does not lose this money.

unless there is a special the rate for 1 or 2 is the same. Only HAL consistantly charges 1.5 times. yes, you are right about the insurance paying back the one persons charges.

Nita

Thank you for all your help. He is better and is planning on going. The thought was maybe her sister would go since the fare was already paid. I was hoping they would not charge another fare or a name change charge.

One other thing and since I did not post it I am not sure anyone will know but I noticed when I just checked in without my user ID I could see my countdown clock as well as everyone elses. When I am signed in I can't see mine or anyone's. Why not.

Hello Connie.

I'm glad that your friend's husband is able to go. What amazes me though, is for someone to suggest that you add a 3rd persons name. I can't believe the lengths some people will go through to defraud.

If the husband hadn't been able to go, the wife could have gone alone and not paid anything more as the cruiseline would be paid and the insurance would re-imburse the husband. That would be legal.

As someone else pointed out to sell that space and get re-imbursed by insurance is fraud. To add a third person just to have them pay a lesser rate, is also fraud. (I am not talking the case of adding a 3rd person because there would be 3 people in the cabin but to add when you know that one person is going to get his insurance .)How can people think of these things? How were these people brought up? Did they ever hear of being honest? It appears to me that morality is going downhill fast.

I know I will get flamed. OP I am not referring to you as being dishonest. Just the one suggesting the fraud.

we are a family of five going on the Pearl on 3/7/08. My husband and I signed up first and reserved an AE. Then my son and his g/f decided to go and got an ov (obs) but on the same deck. So they can hang out in the suite. My daughter then decided to go, believe me, it was 2x as a single. Very expensive but we had no other choice. Would have loved to move up to a AB with 2 bedrooms but the cost is still prohibitive. She also has a cat G on same deck as us. I see one AB still available and will maybe try to switch out two cabins for one; the problem is that we booked with one agency and she another. So..........I think we are totally stuck.

As someone else pointed out to sell that space and get re-imbursed by insurance is fraud. To add a third person just to have them pay a lesser rate, is also fraud. (I am not talking the case of adding a 3rd person because there would be 3 people in the cabin but to add when you know that one person is going to get his insurance .)How can people think of these things? How were these people brought up? Did they ever hear of being honest? It appears to me that morality is going downhill fast.

I know I will get flamed. OP I am not referring to you as being dishonest. Just the one suggesting the fraud.

Yes, it would legally be fraud. I would not say that someone saying that it COULD be done is of low moral standing. If you were to not add the 3rd pax and just go alone the insurance company would be out the same amount of money.

Ever win ANY money gambling and not report it to the IRS? How about purchase something out of state on the internet and not pay the sales tax on your states income tax return (check the form, most states require you to pay sales tax on out of state purchases where you did not pay income tax already). That is all tax evasion and fraud. I'm sure if you think long and hard you have done things of low morality to benefit yourself. If not, kudos to you.

Yes, it would legally be fraud. I would not say that someone saying that it COULD be done is of low moral standing. If you were to not add the 3rd pax and just go alone the insurance company would be out the same amount of money.

Ever win ANY money gambling and not report it to the IRS? How about purchase something out of state on the internet and not pay the sales tax on your states income tax return (check the form, most states require you to pay sales tax on out of state purchases where you did not pay income tax already). That is all tax evasion and fraud. I'm sure if you think long and hard you have done things of low morality to benefit yourself. If not, kudos to you.

I think there is a difference between doing something unknowingly and doing it knowingly. I do report my gambling wins, lol, because I lose too. As far as paying state tax, I didn't know about that and the company that does my taxes never asked me. When I order from QVC though, taxes are billed on the invoice. I am sure we all do things that are wrong, and believe me, I am not saying that I don't. What I am saying to knowingly try to defraud, is not only legally wrong, but morally wrong too.

• 9 years later...

No the other person in the cabin can have the whole cabin to themselves Es as insurance pays for the other person. It happened to me