Cheap vs expensive binoculars.

derf5585

I don't think I have been to a camera store in my life! Don't even know if we have one around here. I went to Best Buy and Campmor websites and they don't list the Zen Rays. How do I know if I am going to like the binocs if I can't try them out first? Does anyone recommend buying "site unseen?" :confused:

I am looking at purchasing some compact binoculars for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. I really do not want to spend a fortune on these since I might not use them after the cruise. I know I need the waterproof and fog proof binoculars, any thing else I need to know about for the Alaskan cruise.

Thanks

I don't think I have been to a camera store in my life! Don't even know if we have one around here. I went to Best Buy and Campmor websites and they don't list the Zen Rays. How do I know if I am going to like the binocs if I can't try them out first? Does anyone recommend buying "site unseen?" :confused:

I don't even recommend buying binoculars that you haven't held and used in the field. But, that isn't always possible. So, the next best thing would be trying them in a store. It is MUCH harder to see the differences in binoculars in a store. You do, however, get to see how they feel in your hands and how comfortable you will be using them.

BTW, I am not aware of any vendor that sells Zen Ray other than the Zen Ray website.

luvtwotrvl - I think that is just about enough information to go on for a binocular that will likely only be used for one cruise. The other things to consider are probably not going to vary a great amount among comparable (same magnification and diameter) in the price range you'll probably look at. You'll also need to decide how much magnification you'll be able to handle. If you can't hold the 10x steady, drop down to an 8x. If you want to go further, you can compare field of view and weight.

One word of warning on cheap (<$100) compact binoculars. I have purchased a bunch of these cheap little binos over the years. Not one of them has lasted very long before they were bent out of alignment. If you expect them to last, you will need to spend substantially more money to get a quality product.

I bought these last week:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ATVJU

The lens is kind of small (but that makes them more compact), but I don't see problems with images being too dark. (Though I don't have anything to compare against). For 35 dollars, I'm not complaining. At first I was worried because the image was kind of messed up, but then I realized I needed to pull out the eyepieces since I don't wear glasses. The unit lacks instructions, just be sure to pull out the eyepiece if you are not wearing glasses. (if you do wear glasses, then keep the eyepieces screwed in).

I don't even recommend buying binoculars that you haven't held and used in the field. But, that isn't always possible. So, the next best thing would be trying them in a store. It is MUCH harder to see the differences in binoculars in a store. You do, however, get to see how they feel in your hands and how comfortable you will be using them.

BTW, I am not aware of any vendor that sells Zen Ray other than the Zen Ray website.

luvtwotrvl - I think that is just about enough information to go on for a binocular that will likely only be used for one cruise. The other things to consider are probably not going to vary a great amount among comparable (same magnification and diameter) in the price range you'll probably look at. You'll also need to decide how much magnification you'll be able to handle. If you can't hold the 10x steady, drop down to an 8x. If you want to go further, you can compare field of view and weight.

One word of warning on cheap (<$100) compact binoculars. I have purchased a bunch of these cheap little binos over the years. Not one of them has lasted very long before they were bent out of alignment. If you expect them to last, you will need to spend substantially more money to get a quality product.

I leave on Saturday and HAD to get waterproof-fog proof bino's. Went to Academy Sporting Goods and checked out several pairs. It is up to the individual what they prefer. I ended up getting the Nikon Action Extreme 10X50. Salesman told me you don't worry about "shaking" between 8X and 10X but after that there is a concern. Tried them out and he was right! They were on sale for $149.00 + tax and I am very satisfied with them. They should be fine. I am not a Binocular expert, but eye relief and several other criteria seem to be OK for a reasonable price. This board is the BEST for all kinds of INFO!!

Everyone have a great experience,

Barry

This thread has been a great source of info for my binocular purchase.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought '2' 8X42 Zen-Ray Vista's for $80 each(refurbished, though they carry same warranty as new one's!). Vista had some good reviews as well in another thread.

I plan on using this for our upcoming cruise and other than that i am not sure what to do with it, maybe ebay it later :confused:

2 Zen-ray's for $160 is within my budget and i am happy.

I agree with several of you here. I would like to try out the zenray's before I buy, and they aren't anywhere. I think that is strange, that no one else has them and you can't read reviews about them either.

Well, I may just borrow a pair, I wouldn't mind owning a pair, but for as often as I might use them??

I have 3 weeks to decide either way...

• Administrators
I agree with several of you here. I would like to try out the zenray's before I buy, and they aren't anywhere. I think that is strange, that no one else has them and you can't read reviews about them either.

Well, I may just borrow a pair, I wouldn't mind owning a pair, but for as often as I might use them??

I have 3 weeks to decide either way...

I thought about those issues, too, but for me the biggest factor in making my final decision was "how often will I REALLY use them?" After being honest with myself about that (I'm not a birder, etc), I opted for the Nikon Trailblazer ATB 8x42 ($112 including shipping via Ebay). It lacks FMC, but is a roof prism, has nice specs for what I was seeking, and I took them into my backyard last weekend for some practice and they are FAR above any binos I've ever used before. I think they'll be great on our cruise, and if I use them as much as I think I might, then maybe later on I'll buy a spendy pair with FMC, and so forth. I'm also taking a small pair of 10x25 binos from Bushnell I've had for a long time but haven't really used the last few cruises -- I think for Alaska they might be a great second pair, so we aren't fighting over the Nikons! :)

I thank all who contribute to these threads. The choice is ultimately SO personal, both in what feels "good" to you as you hold binos, and in how you actually will use them. The most folks here can offer is their personal experiences, and I took them all to heart. Thank you all so much for sharing.

We prepared ourselves with Steiner compact binoculars and zen-ray summit for our Alaska trip. We are happy with both of them. The compact binoculars is really light and perfect for our hiking trip. But it is more expensive. DH thinks it is worthy it. My personal favorite is still summit, very easy to use, very bright. I am happy with their service too.

I viewed a pair of these, approx $90. They were amazingly clear and bright. They are not waterproof. Read several reviews of people using them in Alaska and fogging didn't seem to be an issue. Sales person I spoke with told me that if you go rapidly from heat to cold glasses might fog, but once you are out a little while everything should be fine. This has been true with my eyeglasses as well, so this makes sense. This would be within my budget to buy two pairs. Has anyone had a problem with non-waterproof glasses where the fog just wouldn't go away within a reasonable period of time while in Alaska? I would think for glacier viewing etc. the glasses would acclimate if you are outside with them for a few minutes.

For those who have never used binoculars and think they'll never use them again, I suggest taking them on at least one more trip. We "never leave home without" them, and even enjoy using them on sea days on cruises. Flying fish, turtles, dolphins, are all more interesting up close. And for land tours, well, we see way more than other people.

I recently purchased a pair of Nikon 12x25 Travelite V Binoculars. We already own 2 pairs of Bushnell 10x50 Waterproof/Fogproof Legacy Binos.

The Bushnell are way too heavy for me, excellent Binos but too heavy. I had to find a pair that was extremely light weight and the Travelite is perfect.

I will of course take all 3 pairs to Alsaka but I know I will use my Nikon more. And DH loves his Bushnell's.

Lots of wonderful information on this thread. Thanks everyone!

• 2 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I couldn't find a more recent one and there are many knowledgeable people contributing to this one.

I'm looking at either the Nikon 7x35 or the Nikon 8 x 40 Action Extreme ATB Binoculars.

I know their not FMC but for the price I think they will suffice.

I'm thinking the 7x35 as they will be used by my 11 and 13 year olds and felt that they might not be able to keep an 8 or 10X steady.

Any thoughts on these and thanks in advance.

Archived