Pass Port ?

REGINA

I posted this earlier this am but I don't see it anywhere (I know there were problems today).

My son and wife are going on the Miracle in early June. They don't have a passport. According to today's paper they can still cruise without one. My question is what happens if for some reason they need to fly home (emergency, etc) will they be able to re-enter the country.

Thanks from a very worried mom!

We have passports but leave them on the ship while in port. There will be many that would not step foot of the ship without their passport. The thing you have to remember is that thousands of cruise passengers a week sail without passports.

Here is a link:

If you are looking for the nearest U.S. Embassy: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...sies_1214.html

Also if you are outside the U.S. here is a number for Overseas Citizen Services: 202-501-4444. They would be able to help if needed.

Tell them they should take the Capers with them it list the time to be back on board and the agent (with phone number) Carnival uses for that particular port.

Hope it helps relieve your stress.

Bottom line is Yes, they'll still be able to fly home, BUT, it will probably take a few days to get State Department approval.

While waiting around for approval to re-enter the States, you'll most likely have to pick up your own hotel and meal costs plus of course the exorbinate 1 way ticket back home.

you will need to get a emergency tavel visa from the US Embassy...as i understand it.... to me its easier to make sure you dont miss the boat....If you must leave for an emergency it will be a pain...thats why i have a passport....some people in life dont plan ahead....I do!

Bottom line is Yes, they'll still be able to fly home, BUT, it will probably take a few days to get State Department approval.

While waiting around for approval to re-enter the States, you'll most likely have to pick up your own hotel and meal costs plus of course the exorbinate 1 way ticket back home.

Please read below the State Department will verify the information against their database. You would already be on the ships manifest which is prescreened by Homeland Security to see if any names should be flagged also Carnival would verify that you did not make the ship if it was missed. All of this is easily verifable. The ticket would probably be pricey with or without a passport.

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

I realize the extra cost involved, but I would have whoever doesn't have a passport apply for one now. It seems the mad rush is over as far as delivery is concerned. The time IS coming when you will need it. Just my opinion.

Please read below the State Department will verify the information against their database. You would already be on the ships manifest which is prescreened by Homeland Security to see if any names should be flagged also Carnival would verify that you did not make the ship if it was missed. All of this is easily verifable. The ticket would probably be pricey with or without a passport.

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

Vinnie,

Please feel free to explain to me what part of my statement was false or misleading?

I said, YES, they could get back but it may be a couple of days. Your quote says the exact same thing. Nowhere does it say that anything will be expeditited.

I'm trying to let the OP know that they will most likely not be able to arrive at an international airport at 7am and expect to be on a plane to the States by 8am. More than likely, it will be the next day that they can fly out. Possibly much longer if the local consulate is closed for weekends, holidays, or located in a different city.

If you have better information that is more exacting please share

Vinnie,

Please feel free to explain to me what part of my statement was false or misleading?

I said, YES, they could get back but it may be a couple of days. Your quote says the exact same thing. Nowhere does it say that anything will be expeditited.

I'm trying to let the OP know that they will most likely not be able to arrive at an international airport at 7am and expect to be on a plane to the States by 8am. More than likely, it will be the next day that they can fly out. Possibly much longer if the local consulate is closed for weekends, holidays, or located in a different city.

If you have better information that is more exacting please share

I was just adding to your statement did not mean to inadvertently apply you were misleading the OP. I have stated before that with some of the ports the cruise ships visit it will probably harder finding a flight back then getting permission to get on it.

To add about the weekend thing most embassies have a off hour duty officer and from the passport travel site it states:

If you are scheduled to travel directly to the United States, the duty officer may be able to assist in issuing a transportation letter to the airline and alerting U.S. Customs and Immigration to the fact that you will be attempting to enter the United States without a passport.

I know this is the case since my DW is a flight attendant and has in past had a couple of passengers who were allowed to board with letters. They had to be pointed out to TSA/Customs officials when the plane landed. I would ask her about to get more details but she is on a trip.

Again I was just adding to your point.....

Why are you frantically posting this question when you are nervous about the situation? Get the passport right away and you will get it before June. Then renewing is so easy. I realize its expensive, but it is worth it.

so for aug cruise is a passport needed?

carnival says yes--but if i don't need one i don't want to buy it--yet

According to the Dept. of Homeland Security, you may never need one to cruise. There have been numerous threads about this, one has the actual link to the DHS document. Try using the search function

Archived