Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Good morning!

We have made reservations at the Delta Vancouver Suites. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? We're hoping it's relatively convenient.

Thank you!

I won't attempt to duplicate whar Ut has mentioned but I will just add that Delta is a good operator and I have had a number of business associates stay there over the years on a repeat basis and they quite like it. I am sure that you will be happy with it and its location. Enjoy.

Are there chain drug stores (Walgreens, CVS, etc) in the downtown Vancouver area? Planning ahead, I am trying to get our bags down to just carry ons, so am looking for an outlet that will carry my usual hair products so that I can just buy them in Canada before boarding the ship and not have to carry everything with me.

Are there chain drug stores (Walgreens, CVS, etc) in the downtown Vancouver area? Planning ahead, I am trying to get our bags down to just carry ons, so am looking for an outlet that will carry my usual hair products so that I can just buy them in Canada before boarding the ship and not have to carry everything with me.

Yes, there is a London Drugs at the corner of Granville St and Georgia St as well as Robson St and Bute St. There are also a couple of Shoppers Drug Marts. One at the corner of Granville St and Dunsmuir. The other at Pender St and Bute St.

Generally you will find that London Drugs is the price leader. Shoppers while an excellent national chain in Canada do tend to be just a tad more spendy. The London Drugs referred to by Tweedy is about a 4 block walk from the Delta Suites that you are staying at.

A great big thanks to Putterdude, Urban Trekker and all the others whose advice made our recent stay in Vancouver so pleasant, if too brief. We really enjoyed the aquarium in Stanley Park, and especially thank whoever recommended Minks, as we had a delicious breakfast there and bought chocolate for the cruise. Too bad our time was so limited.

Thanks again,

Eric

Thanks Putterdude and Tweety for the info on the drug stores. I have another question.we are staying at the Westin Bayshore, are there any good, moderate priced restrauants that are within walking distance-would love something that has a water view. Also,I'm sure that this has been covered earlier on this thread, but how about some suggestions for Chinatown restaurants. Thanks in advance--everyone is so helpful on this thread!

In terms of restaurants in the vacinity of the Bayshore...the one that springs to mind is Cardero's which is just slightly east of the hotel by about 200 paces. If you want family, then there is the White Spot at Cardero and W. Georgia, about 1/2 south of the hotel. If it is a nice evening then you may care to walk along Denman St. to Beach and try the Boathouse on English Bay with its great sunsets.

As for Chinatown, every Vancouverite has the fave restaurant in Chinatown and will defend their opinion with chopsticks and wet noodles...for me it is the Floata Seafood House.

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

http://www.floata.com/locations.htm

The closest drug store is Pharmasave at Granville & W.Hastings. Their prices are very reasonable too.

As Poconolady will be staying at the Bayshore the closest London Drug is located at 1187 Robson which would be at about Robson and Bute.

There's also a Shopper's Drug Mart at Pender and Bute. Bit more expensive than London Drugs, but it saves the hillclimb up to Robson.

This may have been answered before....but is wine sold in liquor stores or in grocery stores (like Quebec)?

From the Chateau Granville, where would I find wine? Since we can take on two bottles, I would like a couple of magnums; your prices seem to be in line with ours here in N.B. We can get inexpensive house wine types like Alpenweiss (from Ont.) which are just fine for us. What would you recommend in B.C.?

Liqour, beer and wine in BC are only sold in gov't liqour stores and a few private stores licensed by the gov't. There a number of BC Liqour stores in the downtown area and below is a link to their locations. Likely the closest to the Chateau Granville is the one on Pacific Blvd. to the east of your hotel in Yaletown. Sorry, when at home here in BC I tend to make my own wine at a "you vint" shop so don't by a lot of BC wines except he occasional higher end bottle, however you will find them very helpful in the stores.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?region=Lower+Mainland&location=Vancouver+-+Downtown

Actually the closest government liquor store would be at Davie and Bute but there is a beer and wine store a Granville and Drake and another one in the Sheraton Wall Center complex on the Hornby St side - there is also a beer and wine store in the Moda at Seymour and Smithe - that's the old Dufferin Hotel - your best bet though would be to walk to the government store at Alberni and Thurlow - it has a specialized wine department.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

There's also a Shopper's Drug Mart at Pender and Bute. Bit more expensive than London Drugs, but it saves the hillclimb up to Robson.

Thanks so much for the info-- can you give me quick idea of what type of area it is around the Westin Bayshore? Are there shops,cafes, bus stops, etc, that are close, or is it kind off by itself? I understand that the Trolley stops there, but what is the best bet for public transportation?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, one more--do you know of any car rental agencies that are close walking distance from the hotel

We can get inexpensive house wine types like Alpenweiss (from Ont.) which are just fine for us. What would you recommend in B.C.?

There are some great BC wines here, but their prices have been inching up over the years - not what I'd call inexpensive any more. Still, there are good wines for under $20.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but some labels I like: Gray Monk, Quail's Gate, Mission Hill, Cedar Creek, Inniskillin-Okanagan.

Also Calona has a large selection of non-vintage/bulk wines.

Edited by ell52

While the Bayshore is a little off the beaten path there are a couple of restaruants close by - you are about three blocks from both Robson and Denman Sts - both great eating and shopping meccas - Denman and the part of Robson closest to the Bayshore is more Ma and Pa type of places rather than the highly commericalized main part of the Robson St corridor.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hi ya'll..

first let me say thanks, to all you Vancouver-ites who are so terrific, and provide such great information to us visitors. now, on to my question.

Last year while in Sydney there was a great tea shop on the pier owned by Rita Mcneil... and I'm running out of my stock. Do you know if there is anywhere in Downtown that I might be able to get some Rita tea?? or just some good tea?? We will be staying at Sutton Place, and have 1/2 a day on a sunday, or monday morning to shop before our ship departs.

Thanks again for all your help. you guys are the best.

TuTu

Hi ya'll..

first let me say thanks, to all you Vancouver-ites who are so terrific, and provide such great information to us visitors. now, on to my question.

Last year while in Sydney there was a great tea shop on the pier owned by Rita Mcneil... and I'm running out of my stock. Do you know if there is anywhere in Downtown that I might be able to get some Rita tea?? or just some good tea?? We will be staying at Sutton Place, and have 1/2 a day on a sunday, or monday morning to shop before our ship departs.

Thanks again for all your help. you guys are the best.

TuTu

Don't know if they have Rita Tea, but there's a Muchies Tea on W.Pender

http://www.murchies.com/wwww/pender.php close to Canada Place.

I remeber reading (I think on this thread) that wine and liquour are heavily taxed in BC. Should I just buy two duty free bottles of wine at IAH before we fly to YVR? Can someone give me an idea of the cost CDN for a bottle of something like Yellowtail. I'm assuming it's as popular here as it is in Canada. Is it worth the hassle or is the exchange rate going to make up the difference?

I remeber reading (I think on this thread) that wine and liquour are heavily taxed in BC. Should I just buy two duty free bottles of wine at IAH before we fly to YVR? Can someone give me an idea of the cost CDN for a bottle of something like Yellowtail. I'm assuming it's as popular here as it is in Canada. Is it worth the hassle or is the exchange rate going to make up the difference?

No idea what the prices are where you are, but to give you an idea, a Yellowtail Chardonnay is $12.99 (750 ml. bottle) at a BC Liquor store. It will be slightly more at a wine store.