Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Greetings - Any restaurant recommendations near 1906 Haro Street (near Denman/Robson intersection and Stanley Park)? Especially interested in breakfast options. Visiting Vancouver June 1 and 2 (leaving very early June 3). p.s. Thanks for all previous help with planning travel!

I would like to say "Thank you" to everyone who takes the time to read the posts in this thread and respond to them. I felt as if I was ready for our short visit to Vancouver at the recent end of our 21 day repositioning cruise.

Vancouver was beautiful! The weather was fantastic and the city sparkled. We rode the HOHO Trolley both days per recommendation. It was easy to find at Canada Place; they took my on-line booking form and handed me tickets; we saw everything we had hoped to see and more.

We stayed at the St. Regis, a wonderful small hotel in an excellent location for us. We were able to walk to Canada Place, even with my DH having orthopedic "issues." Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were extremely nice. They served a sit-down breakfast each morning with 3 options, but were very flexible with us. We ate dinner both nights at the bar/pub next door and enjoyed it immensely. It was extremely convenient for us.

So, our total Vancouver experience was excellent.

Your advice on Amtrak bus v. train was good. We chose the bus due to the schedule and did not enjoy it. However, it was relatively easy and convenient.

Many thanks to everyone for your advice and for patiently answering my sometimes repetitive questions.

Becky

To UT: Amtrak Empire Builder is the bomb! We LOVED it! Rode from Seattle to Chicago. Great experience and plan to figure out more train journeys. Thanks for your information.

I would like to say "Thank you" to everyone who takes the time to read the posts in this thread and respond to them. I felt as if I was ready for our short visit to Vancouver at the recent end of our 21 day repositioning cruise.

Vancouver was beautiful! The weather was fantastic and the city sparkled. We rode the HOHO Trolley both days per recommendation. It was easy to find at Canada Place; they took my on-line booking form and handed me tickets; we saw everything we had hoped to see and more.

We stayed at the St. Regis, a wonderful small hotel in an excellent location for us. We were able to walk to Canada Place, even with my DH having orthopedic "issues." Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were extremely nice. They served a sit-down breakfast each morning with 3 options, but were very flexible with us. We ate dinner both nights at the bar/pub next door and enjoyed it immensely. It was extremely convenient for us.

So, our total Vancouver experience was excellent.

Your advice on Amtrak bus v. train was good. We chose the bus due to the schedule and did not enjoy it. However, it was relatively easy and convenient.

Many thanks to everyone for your advice and for patiently answering my sometimes repetitive questions.

Becky

To UT: Amtrak Empire Builder is the bomb! We LOVED it! Rode from Seattle to Chicago. Great experience and plan to figure out more train journeys. Thanks for your information.

Happy to hear that you had such a good time and hope you hurry back.:)

Greetings - Any restaurant recommendations near 1906 Haro Street (near Denman/Robson intersection and Stanley Park)? Especially interested in breakfast options. Visiting Vancouver June 1 and 2 (leaving very early June 3). p.s. Thanks for all previous help with planning travel!

You will find any number of small local restaurants on Denman St. that will likely fill the bill for breakfast. There is a White Spot at Georgia and Cardero Sts (about 5 blocks from you) which serves up excellent breakfasts. As well there is a Tim Hortons at Davie & Denman Sts.

Dinner, you would be an easy walk to either Cardero's or the Boathouse at Denman & Beach Ave overlooking English Bay.

Vancouver train station to Canada Place Pier?

Are cabs available at the train station?

Approx what will it cost 2 people 3 suitcases?

Thanks

Yes there is a cab line at the train station, cost will be $10 to $12.

You also have the option of walking across the street and taking SkyTrain to Waterfront station which is about 3 blocks from Canada Place. Cost is $2.50 pp CDN funds only but the ticket machines will take most credit cards and ATM cards.

For the $5 to $7 saving I personally would take a cab.

Putterdude's suggestions are great!

We just did the reverse ... Canada Place to Amtrak ... it was a little over $10, and luckily we were able to get a van cab at the pier. There were 2 other cabs waiting at the station when we pulled up. This was about 1:30 PM.

Putterdude ... FYI ... we checked our bags at the pier ... I believe the price had gone up 50 cents from last year. We caught the ferry to Lonsdale Quay ... it was a Sunday morning, so the market was EMPTY ... so much room and time to look around. They were having some type of parade/ceremony while we were there. There must have been 100 -200 people dressed in naval (I believe) uniforms ... their ages must have been between 10 - 90 ... it was so interesting seeing the different ages and uniforms! We first saw some children dressed (in what we thought were sailor suits with caps) at the ferry station, but when we arrived at Lonsdale they were all lined up in different sections ... I wish we would have asked what the occasion was.

Thank you again for all of your comments and suggestions ... they were exactly right!

Thanks, I am extremely happy that things worked out for you.:)

I am guessing what you saw were Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, Navy League Cadets and members of the Canadian Naval Veterans Assoc. forming up for Battle of the Atlantic Sunday which observed each year. The observance is held in a park just to the west of the Lonsdale Quay. Some 50 odd years ago I would have been one of those cadets.

Edited by Putterdude

Would that be at the Seaman's Memorial or is there another monument that I don't remember.

Cheers

Dennis

The Waterfront Park does have a Sailors Memorial but that all has happened in the past 15 to 20 yrs...long after my days. However, from what I recall from pictures & articles in the North Shore News there was/is a wreath ceremony at the waters edge on Battle of the Atlantic Sunday.

Just thought of another thing we will need to pick up while in Vancouver.

DH has a BPAP machine and we will need to purchase distilled water for the 3 nights in Vancouver. Staying at the Westin Bayshore. What drugstoers or supermarkets would be in that general area?

Thanks.:)

DH has a BPAP machine and we will need to purchase distilled water for the 3 nights in Vancouver. Staying at the Westin Bayshore. What drugstoers or supermarkets would be in that general area?

I do believe you have to cross Georgia Street and get to Robson (third street from the Bayshore.). There is a Safeway at Robson/Denman.

Just thought of another thing we will need to pick up while in Vancouver.

Thanks.:)

Safeway at Denman & Robson is an option as is London Drugs at Robson & Bute both are about a 6 block. The closest would be the Urban Fare at 305 Bute St. which is 4 block level walk west from the Bayshore. Yet another would be the Shoppers Drugmart at 1202 W. Pender about a 5 block walk.

http://www.urbanfare.com/store/coal-harbour

Edited by Putterdude

Could someone please tell me the best way to get from the Amtrak station to Delta Suites? Are cabs readily avaliable (4 people plus luggage) and is the SkyTrain an option? We are all able to manage our luggage. Thanks so much!

ETA: I'm looking at the Translink website and I'm not sure which stations I'm looking for. Thanks!

Edited by Alaska_2012

Could someone please tell me the best way to get from the Amtrak station to Delta Suites? Are cabs readily avaliable (4 people plus luggage) and is the SkyTrain an option? We are all able to manage our luggage. Thanks so much!

ETA: I'm looking at the Translink website and I'm not sure which stations I'm looking for. Thanks!

While SkyTrain is defiantly an option from Main St. station to Waterfront station then a 2 to 3 block walk to Delta Suites, for four of you the cab fare from the Amtrak station would be about $10 which is what SkyTrain will cost the four of you. If you have a lot of luggage just ask the cab line guy for a mini-van which will handle you comfortably...you may just have to wait a few extra minutes for one but they are the same price as a regular cab.

Hi - I've checked the Sky Train and it appears a 30 min train ride from YVR airport to Waterfront Station is $7.50 pp for Saturday arrivals. We can handle our bags, but a couple of questions where I need your guidance:

1. How far is the walk from Waterfront Train Station to Canada Place Cruise Port?

2. Taxi vs Train - we are 4 adults with 6 roller board bags - will a taxi van take all of us and if so, the estimate fare? We're at $30 for the train, so if a taxi is comparable, that would be our preference.

3. Is there a grocery store within a short walk of the cruise port?

Thanks all!

:)

Hi - I've checked the Sky Train and it appears a 30 min train ride from YVR airport to Waterfront Station is $7.50 pp for Saturday arrivals. We can handle our bags, but a couple of questions where I need your guidance:

1. How far is the walk from Waterfront Train Station to Canada Place Cruise Port?

2. Taxi vs Train - we are 4 adults with 6 roller board bags - will a taxi van take all of us and if so, the estimate fare? We're at $30 for the train, so if a taxi is comparable, that would be our preference.

Thanks all!

1. 3 blocks, all downhill if you use the 'Granville St' exit from the platform at Waterfront. Just don't walk down the long tunnel, use the elevator at the near end of the platform.
  2. Neither. Go to the 7-11 in the airport and buy a faresaver book of ten one-zone (only 1 zone weekends/evenings) transit tickets for $21.50, rather than 4x$7.50 for skytrain on the platform. There's no $5 airport surchage on multi-pak tickets :-) Just remember to validate 4 tickets in the little silver box on the platform. As for the taxi, it's unlikely you'd get four people and luggage into a Prius (the most common Vancouver taxi)
  3. How much grocery are you looking for? There's a 7-11 in the airport, a Pharmasave near the Waterfront station exit; and if you really want a large supermarket, a Save On Foods and Whole Foods located between the City Hall and Olympic stations, (remember you can get off and back on the train -- ticket is good for 90 minutes).

Thanks all!

Mini-van cab will run you about $35.

Grocery stores within walking distance of Canada Place would be Urban Fare about a 6 block walk IGA Market Place about 9 blocks. If you are just thinking about sodas then you have a Shoppers Drug Mart on Granville St. about 6 blocks or London Drugs Granville and Georgia St. about 7 blocks. If you are thinking in terms of wine then there is a BC Liquor Store at Seymour and Cordova Sts. about 3 blocks from Canada Place.

To do a little last minute shopping I would be inclined to go to Canada Place, pass my luggage off to the porters and then head out to get what I needed.

http://www.urbanfare.com/store/coal-harbour

http://www.marketplaceiga.com/our-stores/vancouver-iga7.aspx