Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Many of the reviews of Buchan did mention how quiet it is. That's a plus! Thanks again for all of your help. You Vancouver-ites are really nice! :)

We've returned from our visit to Vancouver, and I wanted to follow-up. The Buchan Hotel (on Haro Street near Stanley Park) worked out quite well for us. It is an older, hostel-style hotel, but it does offer private rooms. We had our own triple w/ own bathroom (me, my husband, my daughter). The hotel is older - no elevator or air, but the staff was very nice and helpful.

One cannot beat its location. The Lost Lagoon bordering Stanley Park was right at the end of our street. To the other end, about a block was Denman Street, full of all kinds of interesting restaurants and cafes (were thrilled to find a restaurant specializing in burek!). A Safeway was a block away, with Whole Foods a short distance further. Fifteen minute walk to two of the Vancouver Trolley stops (SP Fish House* and Westin Bayshore). About 20 minute walk to English Bay Beach (loved the laughing statues).

Total (tax inclusive) cost for 2 nights for 3 people was 239.90. Taxi fare from Canada Place about $12; taxi to airport about $35 (decided on the taxi over the train because very early flight and tired after 14 days of traveling!).

Thanks again for all your help. Vancouver was lovely and we hope to return!

*Happy Hour at the Fish House: From 2-4, Fish and Chips + a beer for $12. Yummy!

I have booked the Sheraton Wall Centre for this Friday night prior to our cruise departure Saturday. We will arrive at YVR around 11:30a.m. We would like to take the Skytrain from the airport to the hotel. Which station is closest to the hotel and how far will it be to make the walk to the hotel from the station? Also, we'd love any suggestions for breakfast Saturday morning near the hotel.

I have booked the Sheraton Wall Centre for this Friday night prior to our cruise departure Saturday. We will arrive at YVR around 11:30a.m. We would like to take the Skytrain from the airport to the hotel. Which station is closest to the hotel and how far will it be to make the walk to the hotel from the station? Also, we'd love any suggestions for breakfast Saturday morning near the hotel.

Vancouver City Centre Station is the closest, and it's on the Canada Line you'd be taking from the airport. Distance on foot is approx 750 metres/800 yards - you will be underground at this station and need to follow signs onto the street (I'd head for the Robson Street end of the underground area, then turn right along Robson and left down Hornby - there's an entrance to the hotel right next to Starbucks).

Scottbee has some excellent pictures of the Canada Line, not sure if they include City Centre station - but I'm sure he'll be along to recommend which signs to follow soon.

As to breakfast next morning, you're close to the Twisted Fork on Granville - which has people queueing for up to an hour for brunch on weekends - or the Denny's on Davie if you want something a bit more traditional.

@ Martincath

we'll be staying at the Wall Centre too at the end of next month pre-cruise night. - Is there a 'White Spot' close enough to walk to? Had a great breakfast at one on our last trip to Vancouver two summers ago and would like to go back again if possible..

Ev

I remember reading about a pub with good food in or near Canada Place but can't remember the name. Any one have an idea?

We are staying at the Pan Pacific and would like to take the HOHO Bus to Stanley Park. I read you can pick it up right outside the hotel. Can you pay with CC or only cash on the bus? We get there too late in the eve to go to the park. Will we have enough time in the morning to catch the HOHO bus to Stanley Park spend an hour or so there and circle back around to Canada Place by noon? Thanks!

I remember reading about a pub with good food in or near Canada Place but can't remember the name. Any one have an idea?

Steamworks or some such in Gastown. Other side of the commuter rail station on Cordova.

Will we have enough time in the morning to catch the HOHO bus to Stanley Park spend an hour or so there and circle back around to Canada Place by noon?

Plenty, the park isn't that far away from where you are (if you're mobile, you could leave at 7, walk to the park, walk around it, and be back comfortably for a noon boarding.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific and would like to take the HOHO Bus to Stanley Park. I read you can pick it up right outside the hotel. Can you pay with CC or only cash on the bus? We get there too late in the eve to go to the park. Will we have enough time in the morning to catch the HOHO bus to Stanley Park spend an hour or so there and circle back around to Canada Place by noon? Thanks!

There are several pubs close to the Pan Pacific. They include in no particular order:

Mahony & Sons on the pier in the new Trade & Convention Centre.

Elephant & Castle in the Marine Building....a little bit cookie cutter

Rouge Kitchen and Wet Bar in Waterfront Station

Steamworks on Cordova in Gastown.

http://www.mahonyandsons.com/

http://www.roguewetbar.com/

http://www.elephantcastle.com/marine_bldg

http://www.steamworks.com/

Yes the HOHO's do stop at Canada Place and take credit cards. You do have time do do a loop in the morning, the first trolley leave about 0900. However you may prefer the tour for cruisers that is offered by Land Sea Tours.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/pre-cruise-vancouver-city-tour

Putterdude beat me to it. I was going to suggest Mahoney and Sons. Here is a pic of it's location (green awnings). It may or may not work since it is on my facebook page. I took it from the cruiseship before sailaway.

304449_10150363004024766_824447872_n.jpg

Edited by Tweedy

We are mobile but wonder if we would see some other interesting sights/landmarks on the loop.

Yes - check the trolley website for details of what you see on each of their loops. But watch for your timing - if you literally just ride the route without getting off you'll do fine (but might want to consider a regular bus tour from Landsea or others rather than a HOHO) but if you are hopping on & off at a few spots, the trolleys run about 20minutes apart - and they do run full in high season, so you might have to wait for the next one.

If you will also have time after you return from your cruise, then buying your HOHO in advance online gives you a second day of use free (you trade in your printed-out invoice to the driver when you board for two separate tickets plus a map, some vouchers for discounts around town etc.) - you can use it up to 2 weeks after your first day.

If you're just looking at spending the morning pre-cruise though, and primarily want to see the park, then a better value option would be the Park Shuttle - it's run by the trolley company, has more stops inside the park (15 if memory serves rather than the 6 on the red loop) and is just $10 as opposed to the $35+ for a one-day general HOHO.

Local transit bus #19 will get you to the park for $2.50 cash fare (less if you're seniors, buy a book of 10 tickets etc.) or a cab to/from the pier should be about $10.

Edited by martincath
spelling

I need a little guidance, please. We will be arriving in Vancouver on Friday and I've had to make changes in what I'd hoped to do. I wanted to spend the afternoon at the Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. I had not taken my mom's fear of heights/bridges into consideration so I'm scrambling to make new plans.

Now, I'm thinking about looking around Gastown and then walking to Canada Place and onto Stanley Park. I was thinking we could walk along the sea wall a bit, possibly take the horse-drawn carriage tour or visit the aquarium. I've also seen Putterdude mention that the trolley has a Stanley Park tour for $10.

Does anyone have any input or changes they would make? I'd like to see as much as possible in the short afternoon we have. :D

Forgot to mention- we are staying at Delta Suites Vancouver and are taking the pre-cruise LandSea tour.

Hi,

I am trying to decide on a Hotel for 1 night after our Alaskan Cruise. We would like to be able to do some Geocaching in Stanley Park and we would like to be in a location that is safe and centrally located. I have been looking at the Ramada Inn on Granville Street, Sutton Place (not sure if this is in a good location but they offer a package that lets you check in early and check out late as well as free breakfast and includes cab fare from Port to Hotel for around 313.00 not sure if this is a good price? and Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown.

We are looking for something that is mid priced. Can you please give me some input on which hotel you might think is the best or if you have any suggestions that might be better we are looking for September 14.

Can anybody also suggest a good towncar service to use to get from Airport to Pier at beginning of cruise and from the Hotel to Airport at the end of the cruise?

I really appreciate any help that you could give me.:)

...Now, I'm thinking about looking around Gastown and then walking to Canada Place and onto Stanley Park. I was thinking we could walk along the sea wall a bit, possibly take the horse-drawn carriage tour or visit the aquarium. I've also seen Putterdude mention that the trolley has a Stanley Park tour for $10... we are staying at Delta Suites Vancouver and are taking the pre-cruise LandSea tour.

Since you're taking the Landsea Precruise tour I'd be inclined to do some of the parts of town *not* included on the tour - with the possible exception of Stanley Park as Landsea only make 2 stops there. The park shuttle (scroll down the page) is indeed $10 per person and will get you to pretty much everywhere most folks want to see in the park; the horse-drawn carriages ($29.99 - $2 less for seniors) don't let you hop on & off but they do go at a very leisurely pace so it's easy to take photos on the move.

BCHappyGal has a big list of popular attractions around Vancouver - a quick search will bring that up and let you see if something jumps out - maybe check with your mum right away this time though;)

Personally I think that the Dr Sun Yat Sen garden is a truly world-class exhibit - it's easily reached (less than a kilometre on foot from Delta Suites) and a garden of this type is rather unusual outside China. They do have some teeny-tiny bridges (about 2 feet over the ponds) but you can also walk around the outside and avoid them entirely if your mum's phobia is truly serious.

Hi,

I am trying to decide on a Hotel for 1 night after our Alaskan Cruise. We would like to be able to do some Geocaching in Stanley Park and we would like to be in a location that is safe and centrally located. I have been looking at the Ramada Inn on Granville Street, Sutton Place (not sure if this is in a good location but they offer a package that lets you check in early and check out late as well as free breakfast and includes cab fare from Port to Hotel for around 313.00 not sure if this is a good price? and Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown.

We are looking for something that is mid priced. Can you please give me some input on which hotel you might think is the best or if you have any suggestions that might be better we are looking for September 14.

Can anybody also suggest a good towncar service to use to get from Airport to Pier at beginning of cruise and from the Hotel to Airport at the end of the cruise?

I really appreciate any help that you could give me.:)

Hmmm - that is quite the disparate list of hotels you're considering! As a local I really haven't stayed in many downtown hotels - but based on your other comments I'd say avoid the Ramada, or any other Granville St hotel. While it's not *dangerous* per se, Granville is our main 'party central' street so it is loud and full of drunk people late evenings.

The Marriott and Sutton are both pretty central - Marriott being more convenient to the pier, but Sutton closer to Robson shopping & Granville Island. Really any hotel downtown is going to put you close to the middle of everything - we're a very compact city. Cab Fare from pier to hotel won't be over $10 if you're in the Sutton, so that rate seems a tad on the high side.

Convenient for Stanley Park, and certainly cheap, the Buchan recently had a good review posted by a visitor. For something fancier, the Westin Bayshore is also very convenient for getting into the park.

If you're not picky about the exact hotel, then one of the bidding sites should get you a good rate - if you search using Priceline in the Vancouver threads you should find info giving you a good idea which hotel(s) are on offer based on their amenities.

As to towncars - there are always plenty at the airport and any hotel will call one for you. Which avoids the booking fee of $50 on top of a <$60 fare to/from the airport...

If it's just a luggage space issue, take a minivan taxi - same price as a regular cab, just ask for one from the despatcher. If you do want the additional comfort of a towncar, I think Aerocar are the only official provider from the airport.

Edited by martincath
spelling

As to towncars - there are always plenty at the airport and any hotel will call one for you. Which avoids the booking fee of $50 on top of a <$60 fare to/from the airport...

For our September cruise, we were looking at taking Aerocar from the airport to our downtown hotel. Based on information from the Aerocar website, they offer a no reservation required, curbside service at YVR.

We were also thinking of reserving their service at the end of the cruise to take us from Canada Place to our hotel near YVR. I did not see anything on their website about a "booking fee."

I'll be calling them in advance closer to our cruise, but to your knowledge does Aerocar have a booking fee on top or their fare?

For our September cruise, we were looking at taking Aerocar from the airport to our downtown hotel. Based on information from the Aerocar website, they offer a no reservation required, curbside service at YVR.

We were also thinking of reserving their service at the end of the cruise to take us from Canada Place to our hotel near YVR. I did not see anything on their website about a "booking fee."

I'll be calling them in advance closer to our cruise, but to your knowledge does Aerocar have a booking fee on top or their fare?

The booking fee info is on the page I linked to above - though they rather bury the lead by initially stating it's only in relation to service from the airport then later in the same section clarify it's also for hotels, meeting boats etc. Cut & paste follows (italics mine):

Meet and Greet Service – An Aerocar Service Greeter will personally greet your client inside the airport, ferry terminal, hotel et cetera with a sign stating the clients name. Our dispatch team will track the flight or ferry status and have a car reserved even if there are delays in the scheduled time. There is a $50 additional charge for this service to accommodate one hour of waiting time and airport/parking fees.

I believe they charge this fee for pickups at the cruise port as you cannot give them an exact pickup time due to the vagaries of customs efficiency, ships potentially docking late, multiple ships in port simultaneously etc.

Personally I'd take the (low) risk of there being no towncars available - if there's too long a queue waiting for your tastes, simply head upstairs to the Pan Pacific (or across the road to the Fairmont) and ask the staff to call you a towncar.

The booking fee info is on the page I linked to above - though they rather bury the lead by initially stating it's only in relation to service from the airport then later in the same section clarify it's also for hotels, meeting boats etc. Cut & paste follows (italics mine):

Meet and Greet Service – An Aerocar Service Greeter will personally greet your client inside the airport, ferry terminal, hotel et cetera with a sign stating the clients name. Our dispatch team will track the flight or ferry status and have a car reserved even if there are delays in the scheduled time. There is a $50 additional charge for this service to accommodate one hour of waiting time and airport/parking fees.

I believe they charge this fee for pickups at the cruise port as you cannot give them an exact pickup time due to the vagaries of customs efficiency, ships potentially docking late, multiple ships in port simultaneously etc.

Personally I'd take the (low) risk of there being no towncars available - if there's too long a queue waiting for your tastes, simply head upstairs to the Pan Pacific (or across the road to the Fairmont) and ask the staff to call you a towncar.

Thank you.

Hi

We will be in Vancouver in September. We are staying at the Hilton. How far is the hotel from the skytrain? Is it easier to take a cab or the skytrain to the hotel? How far from the hotel to the dock? Where is a good place for dinner and breakfast, close to the hotel?

Thank you,

Pam