Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are staying at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, it's at 6083 McKay Avenue, Burnaby

This is about 6-7 miles from downtown; but 1 block from the Metrotown Skytrain station. Now this isn't on the same skytrain line as the airport, so really your best bet is going to be a taxi. However, getting to the cruise terminal is very simple, and the expo/millennium lines (that Metrotown is on) exits you just mere steps from Canada Place.

We are staying at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, it's at 6083 McKay Avenue, Burnaby

While as not a familiar with the Metrotown area of Burnaby as I once was, according to the map and directions on the hotel's website, the Hilton is some 3 blocks from the Metrotown station of SkyTrain. If you elect to take SkyTrain to the the port, Waterfront Station is about a 2 block walk from Canada Place.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/hilton-vancouver-metrotown-YVRVMHF/maps-directions/index.html

*Sigh* Lol you guys are making me want to stay an extra day in Vancouver! Oh well... common sense tells me since I live in Portland, OR, spending most of my money in Alaska makes more sense. Hubby & I could plan a much cheaper vacation the following year in Vancouver PLUS have time to go to Victoria too. :D

I'm back on page 10... will read through much more then will be posting questions. For now have chosen the Holiday Inn on Broadway (we are priority club members) so we can walk around a bit before we leave for our cruise. I figure we will take the subway thing (forget the name) from the Airport & a taxi to Canada place.

Thanks for all the help you've given in these 183 pages! :)

Edited by LuvCats!

More questions. I will have 2 full days(3 nights). Is Stanley Park and the aquarium an easy walk from the Westin Bayshore? I am thinking one day to ride the Vancouver Trolly around and go to the park/aquarium. I noticed that the Trolley also sells tours and one is to Victoria on a ferry. I'm thinking maybe the other day I could do that . I always wanted to see Buchart Gardens.

I just made a 3 day reservation at the Westin Bayshore. What is within walking distance? What is a good way to get to Victoria for a day?

More questions. I will have 2 full days(3 nights). Is Stanley Park and the aquarium an easy walk from the Westin Bayshore? I am thinking one day to ride the Vancouver Trolly around and go to the park/aquarium. I noticed that the Trolley also sells tours and one is to Victoria on a ferry. I'm thinking maybe the other day I could do that . I always wanted to see Buchart Gardens.

What you can walk to depends upon how much you care to walk....however you are about as close to Stanley Park as you can be and it would be an easy walk to the Rose Garden and the Aquarium. You can also walk along the seawall in the other direction to Canada Place and the downtown area.

The Vancouver Trolley is an excellent investment of time and money for seeing the sites of Vancouver. However, I hope you realize that Victoria and the Butchart Gardens are on Vancouver Island, some 3.5 to 4 hours in either direction from the Bayshore Inn and downtown Vancouver. Now if you really want to do that then I would recommend Pacific Coach Lines for your junket. That said, given the amount of time you have pre-cruise you would likely be better off to see the sites of Vancouver and leave Victoria for another visit when you have more time.

www.pacificcoach.com/

While as not a familiar with the Metrotown area of Burnaby as I once was, according to the map and directions on the hotel's website, the Hilton is some 3 blocks from the Metrotown station of SkyTrain. If you elect to take SkyTrain to the the port, Waterfront Station is about a 2 block walk from Canada Place.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/hilton-vancouver-metrotown-YVRVMHF/maps-directions/index.html

See, that's where a local who lives in the area can help.

The elevators at Metrotown Skytrain station from street level are at the west end of the station, which is essentially at McKay; 2 level blocks tops. The entrance to the mall is at the east end of the station, but this isn't what you'd want.

As for waterfront station, exit the train, turn left, up a short escalator, turn right, up a longer escalator and you're right in front of Canada Place (think of it as the entrance to the old restaurant Aqua Riva). I'd be surprised if it's more than 200m (yards) total from exiting the train to being inside the Canada Place complex. The trick is here that there's a walkway (not well marked) on the left side of the car park ramp, which is really what you want, vs entering the hotel.

After checking into various tours to Victoria out of Vancouver I think I've nixed the idea. I'm not physically up to any 11-12 hr tours. I think I will get a 2 day pass for the Trolley. If you buy a ticket online before hand, the second day is free. I can catch it right at the Westin Bayshore. It looks like Vancouver is full of great places to explore and the Trolley is perfect for someone who can't walk real long distances. I debark on a Wednesday and have Thursday and Friday to explore. I've got the QuickShuttleBus booked for early(4AM!) Saturday morning to take me to Seatac. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get myself and my luggage from the cruise port to the Westin on Wednesday. I'm assuming there are taxis at the port?

After checking into various tours to Victoria out of Vancouver I think I've nixed the idea. I'm not physically up to any 11-12 hr tours. I think I will get a 2 day pass for the Trolley. If you buy a ticket online before hand, the second day is free. I can catch it right at the Westin Bayshore. It looks like Vancouver is full of great places to explore and the Trolley is perfect for someone who can't walk real long distances. I debark on a Wednesday and have Thursday and Friday to explore. I've got the QuickShuttleBus booked for early(4AM!) Saturday morning to take me to Seatac. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get myself and my luggage from the cruise port to the Westin on Wednesday. I'm assuming there are taxis at the port?

I think you have pretty much got is taped....and yes you will not have a problem getting a taxi at Canada Place, your fare will be about $10/$12.

Hi,

I am trying to decide on a Hotel for 1 night after our Alaskan Cruise. We would like to be able to do some Geocaching in Stanley Park and we would like to be in a location that is safe and centrally located. I have been looking at the Ramada Inn on Granville Street, Sutton Place (not sure if this is in a good location but they offer a package that lets you check in early and check out late as well as free breakfast and includes cab fare from Port to Hotel for around 313.00 not sure if this is a good price? and Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown.

We are looking for something that is mid priced. Can you please give me some input on which hotel you might think is the best or if you have any suggestions that might be better we are looking for September 14.

Can anybody also suggest a good towncar service to use to get from Airport to Pier at beginning of cruise and from the Hotel to Airport at the end of the cruise?

I really appreciate any help that you could give me.:)

If you don't already have a hotel, check out the Blue Horizon on Robson Street - reasonably priced (for Downtown), great location, and lovely hotel. My cruising friend ALWAYS stays here when she cruises!

If you don't already have a hotel, check out the Blue Horizon on Robson Street - reasonably priced (for Downtown), great location, and lovely hotel. My cruising friend ALWAYS stays here when she cruises!

Nice to see you back, when I saw your post re Whittier I rather thought you had been busy with children.:)

I have 2 questions:

1) A few suggested dinner locations (American... I see references to "Canadian"... is it basically the same as American but in Canada or is it unique in its own right?... okay that is a 3rd question, lol) for the night before our cruise (our anniversary. :D). Probably between $50-75 total (we don't really drink). We are staying at the holiday inn at 711 W Broadway. We would consider public transportation or possibly a cab.

2) I see translink.ca offers all day bus passes for $9. Is there a way to get it ahead of time? I think I read that if we by the Sky Train from YVR they charge an extra $5 per ticket... and I'm not sure if you can buy the all day pass in that location.

TIA! You guys have provided great info!

Edited by LuvCats!

I have 2 questions:

1) A few suggested dinner locations (American... I see references to "Canadian"... is it basically the same as American but in Canada or is it unique in its own right?... okay that is a 3rd question, lol) for the night before our cruise (our anniversary. :D). Probably between $50-75 total (we don't really drink). We are staying at the holiday inn at 711 W Broadway. We would consider public transportation or possibly a cab.

2) I see translink.ca offers all day bus passes for $9. Is there a way to get it ahead of time? I think I read that if we by the Sky Train from YVR they charge an extra $5 per ticket... and I'm not sure if you can buy the all day pass in that location.

I am not sure where you are coming from and I hope you won't find me rude but I am a Canadian who has the privilege to live in both countries and when I am in Canada it is Canadian and when in the US it is American. Yes, many things are similar in both countries but without specifics I find it hard to answer your question.

Broadway has any number of very good Chinese and Japanese restaurants. For let's say North American cuisine there is Earl's, Cactus Club fairly close to your hotel and down on Granville Island I would suggest Bridges, the Sandbar, or the Dockside.

If you purchase the all day pass at YVR in either the Pharmasave or 7-11 you only pay $9 per pass and the $5 convenience fee is waived.

I have 2 questions:

The strip of W.Broadway that the Holiday Inn is located on has a number of good restaurants. For American/Canadian Cuisine, there's an Earl's a couple of blocks west (901 W.Broadway) which would probably fit your requirement. Right in the 600-700 block across from the HI there's a great Malaysian place called the "Banana Leaf", a small noodle diner "The Peaceful" (as featured on Diners Driveins and Dives on food network), and a couple of other options. Just east of Cambie there are a couple of good places too.

While you can't pre-order transit tickets from translink.ca, there are lots of resellers of them in metro Vancouver, including both the 7-11 and Pharmasave that are located in the airport terminal. Using a pre-paid day pass, or a pass out of a 10 pack of tickets, you avoid the $5 airport surcharge on single tickets bought on the platform.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

A quick question from us....we have finally booked our hotel, the Marriott Pinnacle. Is this within easy walking distance from the pier (disembarking)? Or do you suggest a taxi.

Thanks

You are about a 4 block level walk from Canada Place. If you can handle that distance with you luggage you will be just fine walking. Here is a map link for your convenience:link

You are about a 4 block level walk from Canada Place. If you can handle that distance with you luggage you will be just fine walking. Here is a map link for your convenience:link

Thanks, a level walk will be good. Thankyou also for this thread and the fab info I have collected.:) You all deserve a cc medal!

I have 2 questions:

You're just along the street from one of the *very* few restaurants doing truly old-school American/Canadian food, i.e. 'aboriginal' cuisine, Salmon'n'Bannock. Go try it - really nice people, ridiculous value for game dishes (there's always some venison & bison dishes on). The bannocks are more like a really, really thick Indian naan bread than the much-drier Scottish version. Without boozing you can easily have a very filling meal for $50 (the stews for $10-12 are good size main courses) - even the splurgiest dishes don't get over $25.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific one night before our cruise. Is there a good place close by to buy wine? We usually pick up several bottles prior to boarding for enjoyment in our cabin.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific one night before our cruise. Is there a good place close by to buy wine? We usually pick up several bottles prior to boarding for enjoyment in our cabin.

The BC Liquor Store which is located in Harbour Centre at Cordova and Seymour Sts. about 3 blocks east of the Pan Pacific would be your best and least expensive choice. However, I should warn you that the price of wine and alcohol is quite expensive in BC. With that you may care to bring some from Idaho, you are allowed to bring 1.5 litre for each into Canada duty free.

Yes Happy Canada Day weekend to everyone - make sure to come down to Canada Place for the big parade - you might even be lucky enough to see me as I will be route marshalling somewhere on the course.

Also it was a great night at BC Place stadium last night when Geroy Simon caught that long bomb and finally broke the receiving yards record - even this about to be old fart was up on his feet clapping and cheering.

Cheers

Dennis

I am not sure where you are coming from and I hope you won't find me rude but I am a Canadian who has the privilege to live in both countries and when I am in Canada it is Canadian and when in the US it is American. Yes, many things are similar in both countries but without specifics I find it hard to answer your question.

Broadway has any number of very good Chinese and Japanese restaurants. For let's say North American cuisine there is Earl's, Cactus Club fairly close to your hotel and down on Granville Island I would suggest Bridges, the Sandbar, or the Dockside.

If you purchase the all day pass at YVR in either the Pharmasave or 7-11 you only pay $9 per pass and the $5 convenience fee is waived.

No, I think you understood me correctly. I was basically trying to figure out if the food is the same types with the different (but sensible) name. I just didn't want to assume Canadian wasn't unique in its own way.

Earl's sounds promising. With 2 of you recommending it we may have to check it out. Should we make reservations? Do you happen to know if they have a website?

Will mark down the 2 locations to buy the transit passes. I'm sure we'll want to do some sightseeing (we get in at 11:30 or so in the morning). As I said before you guys are making me want to come back even before I've been! My only trip to Canada was back when I was in high school (a band trip, lol). Hoping we might be able to swing it next year. :)

Edited by LuvCats!