"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

Did someone say they want to live on Grand Cayman? So do I, but that is one of the most expensive places to live. There is more $$$ there than most islands (a little confusion on the no money to repair the island after devastation comment, but can surely understand taxi-drivers losing out on salary) But in any event, it is one of the most costly to live on, maybe a small 2 or 3 bdrm and we can live commune style-

I anticipate Radio's Cozumel comments, beautiful water, but now that was my least fave island..:rolleyes:

I don't now how many imperial gallons there are to a liter or how many imperial gallons there are to a regular American gallon (or whatever they're called).

See below:)

Says Imperial gallon..........Of course,I had no clue how much that was .........looked it up.... One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Deb - How far is this from the pier? You say other side of the island, but that doesn't tell me how far it is... Is there any other way to get there besides renting a car (that wouldn't take two hours & cost arm + leg). Have you snorkeled there? Looks great! Thanks.

It is abut a 45 minute drive. A nice drive over through the middle of the island. A rental car will run about $60. to $70. plus the gas. If you share this with anothr couple, helps to cut down on costs. The busses do not go over there. A taxi would be lots of money, and you would have to arrange to have them come back to pick you up. They also drive on the left side of the road in GC, but in town, just follow everyone else, then once outside, there isn't hardly any traffic anyways.

We found this beautiful beach when we did our excursion with Nativeways (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/) when we did the rays, reef and rum point tour. If was a fantastic tour, but not enough time at the beach. Since we are limited with our time in GC from the ship, we always take the first available tender over, rent a car, then run over to Rum Point, and return plenty early to return the car, do a little shopping, and return to the ship. We usually get about 4 hours at the beach. Makes for a beautiful peaceful day at the beach. They have lounge chairs, hammocks, shade, and sun. They have nice clean restrooms, a bar/restaurant (a little pricy, but the food is sensational). We haven't snorkeled there, but have seen others.

Good morning everyone !

From the Navigator “ Throughout the night and early morning we crossed the Yucatan Basin to be greeted by the Island of Cozumel on our Starboard side this morning.The final approach to the dock at Cozumel will be made and we will be safely alongside by 9AM “

We have docked at the International Pier (South of town) We are right next to the Mariner of the Seas, which docked before us. The day is a little cloudy, but from what I can see, it should be a warm sunny day. The forecast is for partly cloudy skies and 89f temperature.

I thought we would be docking downtown, the other ships so I will have to decide what I will do today. I may just park at a close beach, and hang out with some Cruise critic friends, I have met onboard.

I know that I should be able to connect to a Wi-Fi signal while in Cozumel (the connection on the ship this morning has not been the best) I am happy to see that the Shopping area has been repaired, and the hotel at the Pier has been re built.

The Westerdam Superstar show last night was very funny, and the Crew Show, was very good too. They have been playing it on TV for those who were not able to stay up.

We will be here until 7PM, when we start heading back to Fort Lauderdale.

I will be getting off of the ship today by 10AM (It is 930AM now), and try to see if a rental car is available. . .

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Early morning Aft Deck 9

CZ5.jpg

We are getting close to Cozumel

CZ6.jpg

We will be docking at the International Pier (South of Town)

CZ2.jpg

International Pier shopping is very close

CZ4.jpg

We docked right up next to Mariner of the Seas

CZ3.jpg

[FONT=Verdana]Our Position is N 20* 28.937[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] W 86* 58.525[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Here is where we are. . .[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Radio[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]:rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Our current position[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/MAP10.jpg[/IMG][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana].[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Hi Radio,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I'm soooooooooooooooo enjoying your live cruise!! :D I feel like I'm on it as well and I think I've been living through you this week. :D I'll be so sad when it's over. :( [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I was just wondering, if you have time, could you please go to the gift shop and see if they're selling hats that have DAM SHIPS on them? I sail on my 1st HAL cruise this December for New Years on the Eurodam :D and I want one of those hats [I]so[/I] bad!! :D [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I hope you have smooth sailing from Cozumel to Ft. Lauderdale and enjoy the rest of your cruise!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial]Hi Radio,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I'm soooooooooooooooo enjoying your live cruise!! I feel like I'm on it as well and I think I've been living through you this week. I'll be so sad when it's over. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I was just wondering, if you have time, could you please go to the gift shop and see if they're selling hats that have DAM SHIPS on them? I sail on my 1st HAL cruise this December for New Years on the Eurodam and I want one of those hats [I]so[/I] bad!! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]I hope you have smooth sailing from Cozumel to Ft. Lauderdale and enjoy the rest of your cruise!![/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I heard you can order them through the HAL E Store. . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='cot427']Wow, I can't wait to go to Grand Cayman in October by the looks of your photos.

How far is the 7 mile beach, is it free, how to get their, anything near it?

Thanks[/quote]

It is only a couple miles north of Georgetown, and it is all free. Some of the resorts may charge you for a chair/umbrella, but most of the beach is no charge.

They have lots of vendors available for drinks, and snacks. . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Radio']I heard you can order them through the HAL E Store. . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]How do you get to that? On the HAL website?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Thanks for the tip!! :D [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I hope you enjoying your cruise and the Westerdam!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[B]Continuing to enjoy the pictures and comments about places visited.[/B]

[B]Add me to the seemingly few who don't like Grand Cayman. My one and only time there left me with no desire to return.[/B]

[B]I would like to return to Cozumel, however. We were one of the first ships allowed in port after Hurricane Wilma and could not dock but had to use tenders. We took a ship's tour and saw much devastation of the landscape and foliage. I'd like to see it in all its usual lushness.[/B]

[quote name='PH8']Nice avatar,Avril..;)[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Thanks - I thought it was so cute that I stole it from, let me see, um, YOU!! :D I hope you don't mind!! Where did you get it?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[I][SIZE=3]Hi Radio, We are cruising on the Westerdam in May to Alaska via Seattle and have been wondering if you are going to be able to post any of the menus in the dining room, before you sign off. Hardly seems like your cruise could be over, makes me sad as I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for taking your time to do this for all of us...........[/SIZE][/I]

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]An imperial gallon and a liter are not the same thing. I live in Canada so I know all about liters. Right now where I live, gas is about $1.50/liter!! :eek: I don't now how many imperial gallons there are to a liter or how many imperial gallons there are to a regular American gallon (or whatever they're called).[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

There's 3.84 Liters to 1 US Gallon and 1.2 US Gallons to 1 Imperial Gallon.

Radio, like many others, I am a fan of your Live Reviews. Thank you very much.

DrB

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Thanks - I thought it was so cute that I stole it from, let me see, um, YOU!! :D I hope you don't mind!! Where did you get it?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I dont remember........I save any animation website I use and have several............tried looking for this one,but couldnt find it again.........sometimes I just type in (for example) Easter animated gif.......hard to find them smaller than 80x80(wich is the size you need for on here)

And no,dont mind at all...........:D

[FONT=Verdana]Hello everyone! A soon as I got off of the ship, I went over to the rental car area to see if they had ant cars left. It seems that should have reserved a car on line before docking in Cozumel. Only a few cars left, and it would have cost more than I was ready to pay for a days’ rental. Instead, I rented a scooter for only $40. I went up to see if some of the beaches and hotels have been put back together since the hurricane a couple of years ago. Wow, I was impressed by what has been finished. Not every hotel has been rebuilt, but many hotels on the island are now brand new.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I went up to the Intercontinental Cozumel, and the Wyndham, and other big resorts. . . . They were beautiful, and it seems that most of the beaches have been repaired as well (Paradise Beach, San Francisco Beach, Chankanaab, and others.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]After my trip south, I headed back up near town to relax at the new El Cid, La Ceiba Dive resort near the pier. The cost was only $35, and that included unlimited food, pool use, snorkeling, drinks (Non Alcohol and Alcohol) and even free high speed internet.(I am currently using their wireless connection from my cabin on Westerdam) It was very relaxing, and many passengers of the Westerdam, and Mariner of the Seas were over there. I could have gone through a Time Share sales pitch, and enjoyed the facilities for free, but it was worth it for me to just pay the $35.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I went shopping at several of the shops at International Pier, and made a couple of purchases. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]NOTE: The very large Internet Café that was damaged during Wilma, was not rebuilt. They have replaced it with a large boutique store. An Internet Café has newly opened 1 block south of the Pier facility (the “Still under construction” Puerta Maya Pier). They offer PC’s, or you can provide you own laptop. It is very inexpensive.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The Holland America Veendam is anchored just behind us, and is tendering passengers in on the very large Cozumel / Playa Del Carmen ferries.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Carnival Conquest, Ocean Village and NCL Spirit are docked in town at the new Punta Lagosta Pier. This is next to the San Miguel Ferry Pier downtown.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]We are not scheduled to leave until 7PM (9PM East Coast), but I have a reservation for dinner in the VISTA dining room, with some Cruise Critic friends.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I am planning to scan all of the menus for each night when I return home, and I know that I still have to answer many questions that were asked during this “LIVE from the Westerdam ” post.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Please bear with me. . . I will try to answer ALL questions. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]This cruise is not over yet! We still have 2 nights to go, and a lot pictures to take, and a lot of things to do. . . .[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Here are a few pics for today. Thanks for all of the nice comments, and Thanks for tuning in![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Radio[/FONT]

Westerdam AFT

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/C16.jpg[/IMG]

Mariner and Westerdam at the International Pier

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/C12.jpg[/IMG]

Senor Frogs beach area

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/C18.jpg[/IMG]

Trans Caribe Vehicle Ferry (Over to Playa del Carmen)

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZ21.jpg[/IMG]

International Cruise Terminal

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/Z5.jpg[/IMG]

Here are a few more pics. . .

Radio

Paradise Beach

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZ23.jpg[/IMG]

Paradise Beach

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZ10.jpg[/IMG]

Wyndham Resort Pool

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/Z14.jpg[/IMG]

Veendam at anchor

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZZ1.jpg[/IMG]

International Pier Shopping

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/Z1.jpg[/IMG]

Just a couple more until tomorrow. . .

Thanks for tuning in ! !

Radio

Cruise Ships downtown

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZZ4.jpg[/IMG]

El Cid, La Ceiba Resort

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/CZZ3.jpg[/IMG]

My scooter for the day !

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/COZ/Z6.jpg[/IMG]

Westerdam docked

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/C17.jpg[/IMG]

Radio Broadcast area. . .(Cabin 6011)

[IMG]http://cruisingwithradio.com/pics/Westerdam2008/CZZ6.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks once again Radio for all the reporting..........FYI--the pics of the Ferry and the last pic of the cabin didnt fully load.....

Glad you didnt get hurt on the scooter,,,,,,hear so many horror stories...

[quote name='PH8']Thanks once again Radio for all the reporting..........FYI--the pics of the Ferry and the last pic of the cabin didnt fully load.....

Glad you didnt get hurt on the scooter,,,,,,hear so many horror stories...[/quote]

It should work now !

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio
;) ;)

Dear Radio,
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Just want to tell you how much we appreciate your time and efforts to share all this with us. I can't wait to get home from work each day to read your reports. You are so kind, to take so much of your vacation time to share with all of us. You're the BEST!!!!!!!! Thanks for the Aft photos.
:-)
Sandy

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]How do you get to the HAL e-store (to see if I can buy a DAM SHIPS hat)? On their website?

Thanks for the tip!! :D [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I hope you're enjoying your cruise and the Westerdam!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]How do you get to the HAL e-store (to see if I can buy a DAM SHIPS hat)? On their website?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Thanks for the tip!! :D [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I hope you're enjoying your cruise and the Westerdam!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B]I want to know the same thing, except I want a t-shirt. I should have bought one when I was on the Westerdam in late January.[/B]

[B]I went to the new HAL web site and couldn't find the e-store.[/B]

Archived