"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

I'm not sure I get what all the complaints are about here. I definitely prefer these types of accomodations. Wouldn't there be less sun blockage for proper tanning? I've seen some pics of dark and shaded balconies before, but this would be ideal for me if I can afford it.

I guess I would just prefer more privacy...but to each his own,........something for you.something for me..:) I dont sunbathe on my balcony...I go to the pool for that...

Hello everyone!

I really love the Cayman Islands, but I really would like to spend a week here. It is tough to really enjoy this Island while only here for a few hours. . . but I was able to go up to 7 Mile Beach today, and it may be one of the best beaches in the world !

We had great weather today (just as forecast). . .But I might be getting a little sun burned….Ouch!

With smooth sand, and calm water; the beach invites everyone to relax and enjoy. Across the street from where I was up on 7 Mile Beach, was the Marriott Grand Cayman. The Marriott offers a great pool, and even better is Free High Speed Internet (I think most hotels on Grand Cayman offer free internet though)

I was able to upload many of my photos up to my server. The connection there was very fast ! (I also had to check up on my work email)

On the way back, I made a few stops in a few shops. The locals tell me that they LOVE when cruise ships come in. There are many that thrive on the passengers that call on Grand Cayman. I can say that the locals I have met were all very friendly, and happy to see us (Yesterday they had 7 ships in Port !)

We have just left for Cozumel. We must maintain 19knts in able for us to arrive a 9AM. There should be 5 other ships with us tomorrow in Cozumel. They will be:

Holland America Veendam,

Ocean Village (ex: Fairmajesty, Star Princess, Arcadia)

NCL Spirit (ex: SuperStar Leo)

Carnival Conquest

Mariner of the Seas

Tonight will be Round 1 of Westerdam Superstar (with judges Joel Mason and Julie Barr), and they will also be having the Filipino Crew Show at 11PM. I really want to see both of these shows!

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Getting to the Tenders

CA7.jpg

Crew member waiting for the next Tender to arrive for passengers.

CA13.jpg

Inside Lifeboat Tender

CA14.jpg

Very nice Passenger/Tender waiting area with shade, cold water, and cold towels.

CA11.jpg

Welcome to the Cayman Islands !

CA12.jpg

Here are a few more pics. . .

Beautiful 7 Mile Beach

CA1.jpg

Ahhh. . . Very Nice ! I loved the water. . .

CA6.jpg

Marriott Courtyard Grand Cayman

CY4.jpg

The Marriott had a great pool. . .

CA5.jpg

There was a lot of shade at the pool, and clean restrooms too !

CA15.jpg

Just a couple more until tomorrow. . .

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

WoW. . That is a lot of money for Gas ! !

CA3.jpg

I had to stop at Margaritaville !

CY5.jpg

My home is waiting for me. . .

CY7.jpg

We are getting ready to leave Beautiful Grand Cayman

CY15.jpg

So Long for now. . . I want to spend a week here !

CY17.jpg

Loveeee Grand Cayman! One of my all time favorite places! I agree, I also need a week there to enjoy it all! (when do you want to go back? :p Im ready!)

Thanks for posting! The pictures are beautiful! Westerdam is a beautiful Ship.

Enjoy the shows tonight and thanks for taking us cruising this week!

Gallon or Litre? Ouch!

Says Imperial gallon..........Of course,I had no clue how much that was .........looked it up.... One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons. $$$$$$$$$$$$

How come diesel is cheaper than regular gasoline there but it costs so much more here??:confused: :confused:

I LOVE GC...........thats one island I could live on(if I were wealthy enough)

Says Imperial gallon..........Of course,I had no clue how much that was .........looked it up.... One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons. $$$$$$$$$$$$

How come diesel is cheaper than regular gasoline there but it costs so much more here??:confused: :confused:

I LOVE GC...........thats one island I could live on(if I were wealthy enough)

Its funny. Georgetown is our least favorite port-of-call. It reminds me to much of home (se FL). We like it that little that we stayed onboard on our last cruise.

:D

Several pages back somebody asked about the aft balcony on Deck 5. We just got off the Westerdam on 3/9 (the day Radio boarded) and we were in 5184. The balcony is completely covered. For some, that might be a negative but it was great since both DH & I sunburn easily, plus you have total privacy.

Radio, thanks for the great pictures. It's like being back on the ship again. Glad you enjoyed both Julie Barr & Joel Mason. They were one of the highpoints of our cruise last week.

Several pages back somebody asked about the aft balcony on Deck 5. We just got off the Westerdam on 3/9 (the day Radio boarded) and we were in 5184. The balcony is completely covered. For some, that might be a negative but it was great since both DH & I sunburn easily, plus you have total privacy.

Radio, thanks for the great pictures. It's like being back on the ship again. Glad you enjoyed both Julie Barr & Joel Mason. They were one of the highpoints of our cruise last week.

Thanks so much for the input. That's the cabin we are scheduled for in April. There has been so much back and forth about covered, 2 feet uncovered at the rail, that I wasn't sure. We take our GPS so totally covered might be a problem. Guess we'd better re-think our options!

Its funny. Georgetown is our least favorite port-of-call. :D

My opinion also, but I was thinking I'll have to give it another chance, try looking at it through new eyes, everyone else seems to love it so much. We were there in Dec. 05, one of the first ships after the hurricane. Our taxi driver described some really vivid experiences. The hurricane stalled over them for 36 hours, she said everyone was convinced they were going to die. Then, when the hurricane left, and the island was so damaged, the cruise ships stopped coming. But the cruise ships are the only way most people earn money, so there was no money to fix the island! I think they had been 3 - 5 months without ships. She was pretty emotional now that I think back on it.

Costa Maya is probably going through the same thing. We need to keep cruising and spreading our money around. The world needs us!!! :D Judy

Its funny. Georgetown is our least favorite port-of-call. It reminds me to much of home (se FL).

:D

Thats probably why I say I could live there..its like home........:) My least fav port of call is Jamaica..........Now thats a place I could stay onboard for..........(been there 3 times and not much else to do there)

It must be a gallon. If that is a litre thats REALLY expensive!

It says Imperial Gallon on the sign..

It says Imperial Gallon on the sign..

An imperial gallon and a liter are not the same thing. I live in Canada so I know all about liters. Right now where I live, gas is about $1.50/liter!! :eek: I don't now how many imperial gallons there are to a liter or how many imperial gallons there are to a regular American gallon (or whatever they're called).

One of my favorite beaches in the Caribbean is in Grand Cayman. It is Rum Point beach, over on the other side of the island. I can't find any pictures that I can post here, I don't have any on my computer. They are all regular pictures. It is a beautiful beach, so peaceful and quiet. Uaually we rent a car and drive over for the day. Here is a website with photos: http://www.eandbcaymans.com/2Attractions%20a%20Rum%20Point.htm I think this is one of the best kept secrets of the caribbean!

Radio--Keep up your great pictures! Can't wait to see tomorrow's in Cozumel. We were just there in Jan! I miss it!

One of my favorite beaches in the Caribbean is in Grand Cayman. It is Rum Point beach, over on the other side of the island. I can't find any pictures that I can post here, I don't have any on my computer. They are all regular pictures. It is a beautiful beach, so peaceful and quiet. Uaually we rent a car and drive over for the day. Here is a website with photos: http://www.eandbcaymans.com/2Attractions%20a%20Rum%20Point.htm I think this is one of the best kept secrets of the caribbean!

Deb - How far is this from the pier? You say other side of the island, but that doesn't tell me how far it is... Is there any other way to get there besides renting a car (that wouldn't take two hours & cost arm + leg). Have you snorkeled there? Looks great! Thanks.

Archived