"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Right now where I live, gas is about 1.50/liter!! [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I beg to differ with you on gas prices, as they are on the rise everywhere in the country, but even today, the highest gas in your area is $1.09 a litre. Here we're currently paying $1.15.9/litre and we've been told that by next weekend it could be $1.20. Don't feel bad, as long as we can pay for our cruises, we can pay for our gasoline!

Radio - thanks for the fabulous pictures, I look forward to logging onto this thread every day!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

[quote name='ILoveScotland'][B]I want to know the same thing, except I want a t-shirt. I should have bought one when I was on the Westerdam in late January.[/B]

[B]I went to the new HAL web site and couldn't find the e-store.[/B][/quote]

The site is [URL="http://www.shophollandamerica.com"]www.shophollandamerica.com[/URL] , but I checked and there were no hats or t-shirts. . . Only Polo shirts, and other non apparel items.

Maybe Ebay has them. . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just returned from a fabulous dinner, with some great folks from Cruise Critic (Dick and Anna). We all had some great Surf and Turf (Non-Formal night) It was topped off with some very good Baked Alaska ! !

:) and some pretty good coffee as well. . . .

Radio

[quote name='Radio']I just returned from a fabulous dinner, with some great folks from Cruise Critic (Dick and Anna). We all had some great Surf and Turf (Non-Formal night) It was topped off with some very good Baked Alaska ! !

:) and some pretty good coffee as well. . . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

You sure do stay slim with all those cruises you take!!! Just how do you do it? :eek:

[quote name='ger_77']I beg to differ with you on gas prices, as they are on the rise everywhere in the country, but even today, the highest gas in your area is $1.09 a litre.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I know, I made a mistake (which I didn't realize untill I went out htis afternoon and passed a gas station). :o I should have said $1.05 not $1.50!! Sorry!![/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ger_77']I beg to differ with you on gas prices, as they are on the rise everywhere in the country, but even today, the highest gas in your area is $1.09 a litre. [/quote]

This is correct. I don't know where you are getting your gas, Avril, but I also live in Burlington and have not seen ANY gas stations at $1.50 a litre!!!! $1.09 is about the average cost at the moment.

[quote name='Radio']The site is [URL="http://www.shophollandamerica.com"]www.shophollandamerica.com[/URL] , but I checked and there were no hats or t-shirts. . . Only Polo shirts, and other non apparel items.

Maybe Ebay has them. . .

Radio
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Thanks. Too bad about the no hats or t-shirts. :( But they do have lots of other cool stuff (not that I'd want/need to buy any of it)!! :D I will look on Ebay (or maybe I'll just wait until I board the Eurodam this December).[/SIZE][/FONT]

For anyone who cares... (I really need to have this OCD with math cured some day...)

Here's the answer to the gas price:

1 Imperial Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons
1 CI$ = 1.19 US$ (as of today on the xe.com web site)

So...

4.32 CI Dollars works out to about 5.15 US Dollars.

Divided by 1.20095 to convert to US Gallons works out to:

$4.288 US Dollars/US Gallon

Quite a bit more than I pay down at the local Wa-Wa!

It's interesting, the Imperial Gallon/US Gallon is almost the same ratio as $CI to $US, so it's essentially a wash, just pennies off.

Theron

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Radio...have you met Caribbean Girl and her DH? They're on your cruise...and were on our Noordam cruise in February '07! [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Have loved following your "Live From....."[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks for these great posts, Radio! [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]My husband and I will get on the ship as you leave it. Our cruise on the Westerdam leaves this Sunday! :D [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]2 quick questions (if you have a chance): [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]- Did I see a magnifying mirror next to your laptop? Does the cabin include one? (make-up necessity!)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]- Is the computer access the same price if you use a laptop in your cabin as if you go to the Internet cafe? Is it a faster connection? How is the connection, by the way?[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks! Enjoy the last bit of your cruise!![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Mackie[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='rochelle_s']Avril,

I will be on the Ryndam next month and the Zaandam in May. If you like I can check for the hat for you on those trips. As I also live in Burlington it shouldn't be too hard to get it to you. Let me know...

Rochelle[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I would [I]love[/I] you to check for me. Thanks [I]so[/I] much!! :D I think they're black with "DAM SHIPS" embroidered in white on the front. Since I'm going on the Eurodam, I hope they wouldn't have "Ryndam" or "Zaandam" on them. What street do you live on? I live on Ronald Drive.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]We can keep in touch by email if you want. My address is [/SIZE][/FONT][EMAIL="assumptionchic@gmail.com"][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]assumptionchic@gmail.com[/SIZE][/FONT][/EMAIL]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Enjoy your 2 cruises!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Head Shot']Yikes, there's so many DAM Canadians here:eek: :D[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Is that a problem? :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Head Shot']Yup, they singlehandedly kept the cruise industry afloat. Thanks to you guys we get to ride in these new shiny boats.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]How'd you work that one out? :confused: We ain't building these ships (or paying for them to be built).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Is that a problem? :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]How'd you work that one out? :confused: We ain't building these ships (or paying for them to be built).[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Nope, Canadians just happen to be major players in the cruise industry- as cruisers.

That last cruise I took, they were a significant chunk of passengers. Holey moley, I kept bumping into them. I gotta thank them for keeping the ships full. Soooo, happy company equals more ship orders.

BTW, I hope you didn't take offense. Was merely wordplay on the HAL ship names.

[quote name='mackie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks for these great posts, Radio! [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]My husband and I will get on the ship as you leave it. Our cruise on the Westerdam leaves this Sunday! :D [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]2 quick questions (if you have a chance): [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]- Did I see a magnifying mirror next to your laptop? Does the cabin include one? (make-up necessity!)[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]- Is the computer access the same price if you use a laptop in your cabin as if you go to the Internet cafe? Is it a faster connection? How is the connection, by the way?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thanks! Enjoy the last bit of your cruise!![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Mackie[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

[B]Radio must be asleep so I'll answer the question about the magnifying mirror since I was on the Westerdam two months ago. The answer is yes, it's on the desk/dresser.[/B]

[B]And computer access is the same regardless of how you connect. I was told to look for hotspots in public places, but I discovered I had a good connection in our cabin (6049). The connectiton seemed a wee bit faster than I've experienced on other ship's at their computers. But, it wasn't super fast.[/B]

[B]Enjoy your cruise.[/B]

Avril,

Isn't that funny 3 different people on this one thread from our little suburb.....and now that I see your email address we have something else in common...I too went to Assumption...I was in the second graduating class way back when......but my kids went to Notre Dame. Will drop you an email.

Radio...

Sorry for going off topic on your thread...

Must say though you are doing a fantastic job. Can hardly wait for the full report when you cruise is over. Thanks for sharing in this most amazing way.

Rochelle

Head Shot,

Us Dam Canadians are such major players in the cruise market because we love to get far far away from the Dam Cold! That being said it won't stop me from going to Alaska in May! lol Just going via Mexico first.

Rochelle

Thanks for these great posts, Radio!

My husband and I will get on the ship as you leave it. Our cruise on the Westerdam leaves this Sunday! :D

2 quick questions (if you have a chance):

- Did I see a magnifying mirror next to your laptop? Does the cabin include one? (make-up necessity!)

- Is the computer access the same price if you use a laptop in your cabin as if you go to the Internet cafe? Is it a faster connection? How is the connection, by the way?

Thanks! Enjoy the last bit of your cruise!!

Mackie

Wi Fi speed is 80-110 kbps(In Cabin or Public Area), and wired connection is 40-50 kbps (In-cabin or Explorations Cafe)

530AM here. . .Need some coffee :o

Radio

;) ;)

For anyone who cares... (I really need to have this OCD with math cured some day...)

Here's the answer to the gas price:

1 Imperial Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons

1 CI$ = 1.19 US$ (as of today on the xe.com web site)

So...

4.32 CI Dollars works out to about 5.15 US Dollars.

Divided by 1.20095 to convert to US Gallons works out to:

$4.288 US Dollars/US Gallon

Quite a bit more than I pay down at the local Wa-Wa!

It's interesting, the Imperial Gallon/US Gallon is almost the same ratio as $CI to $US, so it's essentially a wash, just pennies off.

Theron

WoW ! :eek: Theron, Thanks for the breakdown ! :)

I am glad I didnt have to buy any gas on this trip. But I remember it being much higher in Bermuda !

Radio

Archived