"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

Wow! I would just like to say that I really enjoyed following you along on your trip. I have been looking to book this ship and you now have me convinced. Thanks for all the pictures. That was a great picture of the handicapped stateroom. My sister is handicapped and always books one of these when she sails. If you have any other pictures of that particular stateroom would you post them? Thanks again. Great job.

Wow! I would just like to say that I really enjoyed following you along on your trip. I have been looking to book this ship and you now have me convinced. Thanks for all the pictures. That was a great picture of the handicapped stateroom. My sister is handicapped and always books one of these when she sails. If you have any other pictures of that particular stateroom would you post them? Thanks again. Great job.

While you wait to hear from Radio here's a link to a picture I took of the balcony of VB 6049 which identical to the HC VA cabin Radio posted. I don't have pictures of the inside of the cabin. I was looking aft when I took the picture.

to radio you can go to staterooms.com they give you .50 for each pic just a thought and people get to see the rooms, i looked for ours but wasnt there and thanks for the pics

I went to staterooms.com to try to see my cabin on my upcoming cruise. That link does not work.

Hello everyone. Here are a few more pics of different Cabin Types on the Westerdam.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

CAT F / Oceanview Stateroom / FWD Facing Cabin (Only 2 of these cabins on Ship)

F21.jpg

CAT VB / Deluxe Verandah Outside / Triple (Cabinets above pull Out Sofa)

F20.jpg

CAT VB / Deluxe Verandah Outside / Double (Cabinets below pull Out Sofa)

(This was my Cabin - 6011)

F19.jpg

CAT I / Inside Stateroom / Triple (Large)

F22.jpg

CAT I / Inside Stateroom / Triple (Large)

F23.jpg

I went to staterooms.com to try to see my cabin on my upcoming cruise. That link does not work.

If you don't sign up for the premium site which was $5 one time fee when I signed up a few years ago, all you get is the cruise deck plan site.

Hello everyone. . . It appears that I made a mistake on this photo. I originally captioned this as a SY Deluxe Verandah Suite, a few pages back.

It is really an SB Deluxe Verandah Suite. . . . Oooops :(

Radio

CAT SB Deluxe Verandah Suite

F14.jpg

Deluxe Verandah Suites: 2 lower beds

convertible to 1 king-size bed, bathroom with

dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath & shower

& additional shower stall, large sitting area,

dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for

2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows.

Thank you sooooooooooooo much. Just spent the last 2 hrs. reading and looking at your posta.

We will be sailing on the Westerdam on Apr. 13th. We will be staying in Cat SY Room 5001 ( the handicapt suite ) Did you get to see this room ??? or have any pics ???

Once again, Thank you !!!!!!

Arthur :cool:

Radio:

I have followed your posts for several years and absolutely love them. We have been loyal RCCl cruisers and have decided to try HAL for our next cruise.

Where will you be posting your report card, will it be on this thread or under reviews? I certainly don't want to miss it. Thanks for all your effort over the years.

Radio:

I have followed your posts for several years and absolutely love them. We have been loyal RCCl cruisers and have decided to try HAL for our next cruise.

Where will you be posting your report card, will it be on this thread or under reviews? I certainly don't want to miss it. Thanks for all your effort over the years.

I will be right here. . .

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Radio -

I've enjoyed your cruise along with everyone else. Thanks for taking the time to do all that you've done.

I have a question - We have a cat L inside cabin that runs vertically along the lines of the ship, front to back for our 4/13 cruise - do you know how those differ from the usual horizontal cabins, size-wise and layout? It is very close to the aft of the ship on the Veranda deck. Seems like a good location - a couple levels below aft pool, a couple above dining, etc... but I'm curious about the layout. Do you know? Or happen to have any photos of a similar cabin?

Thanks!

Bailey

I will be right here. . .

Radio

Absolutly Fantastic Albums

Have followed the entire Thread Just Great We were on the Westerdam in February of 2007 and your phots gave us an opportunity to enjoy the Westy a second time.

THANKS

Radio...did you happen to take any photos of the Auto Train? That sounds fascinating!

Since the Noordam isn't going out of NYC after this season, we need to decide whether we're going to fly to FL or drive...the train might be a good option!

I believe I read earlier in the live report that Radio was going to try and post menus when he returned. I can't find them. Am I just not finding them? I'm very new to the boards. Hubby and I are cruising aboard the Westerdam in May to Alaska and I was very excited to see those menus!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I believe I read earlier in the live report that Radio was going to try and post menus when he returned. I can't find them. Am I just not finding them? I'm very new to the boards. Hubby and I are cruising aboard the Westerdam in May to Alaska and I was very excited to see those menus!

Thanks!

I have not posted them yet. . .Today was my first day back to work in 2 weeks. Give me a couple of days and they will be posted.

Thanks for understanding. . . .

Radio

;) ;)

Hello everyone ! Here is my Report Card from my sailing on Westerdam, last week.

There have been many great reviews about HAL, and Westerdam. This is a review that was done through my eyes. . .

Radio

Holland America Line

Westerdam

March 9, 2008

Western Caribbean

Westerdam

Please note that I do not work for HAL, and I have sailed on many Cruise Lines, and many ships. These are my opinions, and I urge you to read many reviews about Holland America Line, and Westerdam. I did not pay much attention to the kids programs that are available on Westerdam, so I did not give that aspect a grade.

I have commented daily throughout my cruise, and many comments have been posted by me on a daily basis.

Embarkation: As I entered the Terminal I was processed with the normal security check. I placed my carryons through the metal detectors and proceeded directly to the check-in stations.

The check in process was fast & efficient. All of the cruise lines should use the same process as HAL. Your A-PASS Photo (security photo for when you board or leave the ship) is taken at the check in station. This eliminates another check in station before boarding. I then went upstairs and boarded in less than 5 minutes. Report Card: A

Cabin: I loved my cabin and I’ll tell you why: The cabin had an LG Flat Screen HD TV even if it did only have an analog (Non HD) signal. This included only 20 channels of programming (14 Ship channels, 6 Cable channels). This could have been better by offering more channels with cable programming. There was also a COBY DVD Player underneath the TV. The many amenities in the Bathroom included bath gel, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion. There were high quality, thick towels and bath mats supplied, as well as a bath robe. Large storage drawers under the bed and sofa grabbed my attention as well. (Note: Triple cabins have 2 large cabinets above the sofa instead of under the sofa, due to pull out sofas in the triples) There was a shoe shine basket for complimentary shoe shines. Report Card: A-

Dining: I was assigned to the new As You Wish Dining, and was very pleased. As a solo cruiser, it was nice to be promptly seated in the dining room. One evening I was given a single table, another evening I was seated at a table for 6, and twice I was seated with 2 other Cruise Critic members (we had a reservation).The food was enjoyable. The choices and presentation were excellent. The Lido dining was very good as well. You were able to choose from the same items that were served in the dining room with a more casual atmosphere. The wait staff throughout was memorably attentive and friendly.

Report Card: A-

Entertainment: I thought the shows performed in the main theatre were pretty good, however not as good as RCI or CCL shows, being that the variety in entertainment genre was a bit lacking. The production value was above average though and the sound quality very good. The best entertainer on the ship was Joel Mason. He was very dynamic and really put on a great show. I wasn’t able to see the performances in the Piano Bar unfortunately. I did see the Caribbean band “Helen and the HAL Cats” perform and they were excellent. The Intermezzo String Quartet (Classical) in the atrium was very good as well. Report Card: B

Public Areas: The Public Areas were clean & comfortable. The Westerdam has a very classy feel to her. Much of the décor enhanced my cruising experience with it’s nautical atmosphere, while some areas felt a little dated. For a ship built in 2004, this was unexpected. Most areas however were very classy and the themes unique to this ship. I especially enjoyed the Atrium area, which was very beautiful. I loved the exterior areas of the ship including the gorgeous teak wood that seemed to be everywhere. The pools were never overcrowded, and the passenger flow was nominal. Report Card B (Interior), A (Exterior)

Debarkation: The debarkation process was the best of any cruise line. Passengers were able to stay in their cabins until their color was called. It was very nice not to be rushed off of the ship. The option to order room service on the final morning was available. The process seemed to really make sense by not having everyone wait in a public area and then rush to get to the gangway. The flow of guests inside the terminal went very smooth, with no lines and no clutter. Report Card A+

Final Thoughts: This was my first HAL Cruise, so these views are really from an outsider looking in. Many people have asked me to compare HAL with RCI, which would not be fair to do. RCI is a Mass Market Cruise Line, while HAL is considered to be a Premium Cruise Line. I would rather favorably compare HAL to Celebrity.

A good comparison to Westerdam would be Celebrity Millennium. I think that Millenium has more advanced technology and is ahead of its time. Both have the services and amenities that would be expected on a Premium Cruise Line. Both have dining choices and the high quality food that would be expected. The thing that puts HAL and Westerdam above any ship that I have sailed would be the crew. The Indonesian and Filipino staffed crew (Wait Staff and Attendants) seemed to be the life blood of the ship. There is a strong team undertaking of superb service with an endeavor to please I have never before experienced.

I would highly recommend the Westerdam for anyone who really appreciates the service aspect of a cruise. She deserves very high marks!

Overall Grade: A

The Beautiful Westerdam in Grand Turk

CC7PS.jpg

Archived