"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

Radio...did you happen to take any photos of the Auto Train? That sounds fascinating!

Since the Noordam isn't going out of NYC after this season, we need to decide whether we're going to fly to FL or drive...the train might be a good option!

Hmmm. . . I have taken the Auto Train many times. I didnt take many pics on this trip, but let me check my archives and I am sure a will find a few !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi again - I'm sure you've been busy getting back and all that goes with that, but wondering if you can help with the question I posted above...

Here it is again...

We have a cat L inside cabin that runs vertically along the lines of the ship, front to back for our 4/13 cruise - do you know how those differ from the usual horizontal cabins, size-wise and layout? It is very close to the aft of the ship on the Veranda deck. Seems like a good location - a couple levels below aft pool, a couple above dining, etc... but I'm curious about the layout. Do you know? Or happen to have any photos of a similar cabin?

Thanks!

Bailey

Radio,

did they have a chocolate buffet on formal night or any other night?

I thought I saw a mention of one by someone else in a review.

Yes, they had the Chocolate Extravaganza (sp) on Wed night at 11PM, at the Covered Lido Pool. . .

Radio

Hi again - I'm sure you've been busy getting back and all that goes with that, but wondering if you can help with the question I posted above...

Here it is again...

We have a cat L inside cabin that runs vertically along the lines of the ship, front to back for our 4/13 cruise - do you know how those differ from the usual horizontal cabins, size-wise and layout? It is very close to the aft of the ship on the Veranda deck. Seems like a good location - a couple levels below aft pool, a couple above dining, etc... but I'm curious about the layout. Do you know? Or happen to have any photos of a similar cabin?

Thanks!

Bailey

I will see if I have any pics. . .

Radio

The thing that puts HAL and Westerdam above any ship that I have sailed would be the crew. The Indonesian and Filipino staffed crew (Wait Staff and Attendants) seemed to be the life blood of the ship. There is a strong team undertaking of superb service with an endeavor to please I have never before experienced.

I think any experienced HAL cruiser would absolutely agree with that comment. I think you've hit the essence of what makes HAL different from other cruise lines.

Thanks again for your reports, they were a lot of fun and very informative. :)

Thank you again, Radio, for posting a "Live from the Westerdam" thread with photos and commentary. Also, thank you for your report card, summing up your experience. Your comments are very well balanced. :)

As for the inquiries about the autotrain that appeared here, I have a friend who has taken it. Her advice is this: It's better to fly if you can! :p She said she and her husband paid just over $1,000 for their round-trip tickets almost two years ago. They had a "roomette" (her description, not mine) with bunk beds. She said she barely slept a wink, with the rocking of the train and noise, plus the uncomfortable bed.

You do have the option to pay less and have a reclining seat in one of the public cars, but I know someone who chose that option and didn't sleep much either!

Nice, balanced review, Radio. I pretty much agree with you that you can't compare HAL to RCCL, but you can to Celebrity. I enjoyed the crew on HAL also. They seem to have something special, but I enjoyed the ship and the meals much more on Celebrity. Celebrity does seem to be more modern and advanced than HAL. Both are very nice products though. Thanks again for all the wonderful photos and daily updates. This was the best live thread I've read.

Just posted this to another thread, but was reading here and noticed somebody looking for Westerdam menus.

Here is a link to the menus and daily programs from our 3/2/08 Westerdam cruise.

http://web.mac.com/seacruise/Cruises/Westerdam_Menus_and_Dailies.html

I shrunk them down considerably for the web, but if you want a larger version just click the download button and a larger copy will get downloaded to your desktop.

Unfortunately I don't have the menus from the first night as they didn't get delivered to our suite.

Enjoy,

c-cruise

Hmmm. . . I have taken the Auto Train many times. I didnt take many pics on this trip, but let me check my archives and I am sure a will find a few !

Radio

Thanks, Radio! I loved your review...very precise and to the point!

Hello everyone ! I am unable to scan the menu's from my week on Westerdam. The menu's are too large for my scanner ! (I received the FULL SIZE Menu's, not the normal size, that can be delivered to your cabin from Room Service)

But that's OK. . . My DD (1010 Transistor) was able to come over last night and painstakingly :o type out some of the menus. . (more will come this weekend)

Lobster was served on Friday Night (NON-Formal Night)

The first one will be from Monday Night. . . (First Formal Night)

Radio

Monday Night

Appetizers

Fruit Palette of Honeydew Melon, Pineapple and Orange Slices

Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Topped with cottage cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon

Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with Avocado

Cold-smoked, pickled and chipotle hot –smoked salmon with line/avocado/tomato salsa

Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough

Served with a spiced apple-cranberry compote

Farfalle with roasted Chicken and Sun-dried Tomato

Tossed in olive oil and lemon cream

Soups and Salad

Lobster Bisque

Silky smooth shellfish soup heightened with aged cognac and shipped cream

Oxtail en Croute

Classic slow-simmered soup, served in crusty pastry dough

Chilled Sour Cherry Soup Greenhouse spa cuisine

With a mosaic of crème fraiche and fried ginger

Master Chef Rudi’s Salad in tomato Shell

Selected baby greens with enoki mushrooms, julienne peppers and bell pepper confetti, drizzled with mustard cognac dressing

Entrees

Avocado Citrus Salad Greenhouse spa cuisine

Sliced avocado and Meyer lemon fillets on a bed of mixed lettuces with fresh basil, dressed with a citrus zest and sherry vinaigrette.

Sauteed Shrimps Provencal

Scented with Mediterranean herbs, garlic and tomato concass’ee, and served with basmati rice and baby vegetables.

Apricot glazed Salmon with soy, Garlic and Ginger Splash

Served with baby vegetable Medley and saffron scented new potatoes.

Duck Breast a L’Orange

The old-time favorite, oven roasted until crisp and served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, sweet pea, carrot julienne and William potato Grilled Lamb Chops with Oregano and Apple Chutney

Drizzled with mint oil and served with sautéed cherry tomatoes in pesto and potato gratin.

Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef

On an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with assorted baby vegetable medley, braised onion and horseradish mashed potatoes.

Wild Mushroom Strudel

Selected forest mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese rolled in phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry.

-------------------------

Available Daily

French Onion “Les Halles”

A Parisian classic of golden simmered onions topped with melted Gruyere cheese

Wild Alaskan Coho Salmon

Grilled and basted with fresh lemon, served with vegetables of the day and steamed rice.

Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken

A lightly seasoned boneless breast with red skin potatoes, vegetable of the day.

New York Steak

An 8 pz. New York steak aged to perfection, accompanied with the daily offering of vegetables and garlic-spiked mashed potatoes.

Classical Caesar Salad

Hand –cut hearts of crisp romaine tossed with our very own Caesar dressing, grated parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies.

The next one is 2nd Formal Night (Thursday)

Enjoy. . .

Radio

Captain’s Grand Gala Menu

Starters

Melange of Tropical Fruit

With and intriguing cilantro balsamic maple reduction.

Jumbo Shrimp cocktail greenhouse spa cuisine

Plump chilled shrimp with a lime and tomato confit cocktail sauce.

Caribbean Fish Cakes

Moist and tender, flavored with capers, fried leeks, jalapeno and bell peppers and served with a smoky chipotle lime sauce.

Fettuccine Frutti Di Mare

Plump scallops, shrimps, clams and mussels tossed in a lightly whipped lobster brandy cream with chopped Italian parsley.

Soups and Salad

Cram of Four Mushroom Soup

A rich blend of oyster, shiitake, button and enoki mushrooms, topped with a crunchy carrot fretter.

Jamaican Chicken and Callaloo soup Greenhouse spa cuisine

Shredded chicken breast with butternut squash, callaloo greens, garlic and thyme, combined in a flavorful chicken broth and topped with toasted coconut.

Chilled Mango Gazpacho

Our Master Chef’s unique and refreshing version a classic gazpacho.

Salad of Arugula and Frisee

With William Pear and key lime/passion fruit vinaigrette.

Entrees

Seared Beef Salad

Seared skirt steak, thinly sliced, served with avocado, tomato and mixed greens tossed with Wasabi vinaigrette.

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

In an aromatic fish broth with delicate vegetable julienne. Served with fresh drawn butter and boiled new potatoes.

Salt Cured Grilled Salmon Glazed with Maple Syrup

Shredded green apple, served a top a light creamy savoy cabbage and boiled potatoes.

Filet of Beef Wellington

Mouthwatering tenderloin of beef topped with a duxelles of duck liver and mushrooms, wrapped in a puff pastry. Served on a mirror of Madeira sauce with duchess potatoes and a medley of green asparagus and Chinese pea pods.

Oven roasted New Zealand Rack of Lamb

Rubbed with Dijon mustard and fragrant garlic herb crumbs. Serve with a full-flavored Pinot Noir sauce, minted virgin olive oil, ratatouille, asparagus, and garlic potato gratin.

Couscous Florentine greenhouse spa cuisine

Couscous and spinach, served with a grilled vegetable kebab accompanied by a dill-flavored nonfat sour cream sauce.

-----------------------

Here is the Farewell Dinner from Saturday Night. . .

I should be able to post more this weekend !

Radio

Farewell Dinner

Appetizers

Fruit Ceviche Greenhouse spa cuisine

Papaya, pineapple and mango splashed with rum & marinated in a lime and mint dressing.

Italian Prosciutto Ham

Thinly shaved, air-dried ham with a succulent cantaloupe melon fan.

Crispy Thai Vegetable Spring Roll

On a brightly seasoned rice noodle salad with a sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Pasta Primavera

Al dente pasta with peak-season vegetables and pesto sauce.

Soups and Salad

Bacon Cheddar Cheese Soup

A tast blend of smoky bacon and smooth cheddar, with a bite of dry mustard.

Grandma’s chicken Noodle Soup

Restorative, well-seasoned chicken broth with crisp garden vegetables and tender vermicelli noodles.

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Green house spa cuisine

Delicately diced watermelon swirled in a lemon sorbet and topped with lime leaves.

The Greek salad

Crisp chopped romaine showered with feta cheese, tender artichoke, kalamata olives, sun-ripened tomatoes, red onion and cucumber

Choices of Dressing: House Italian, Thousand Island, Blue cheese, Lime chipotle or fat-free lemon herb.

Entrees

Barbecue Chicken Salad

Avocado, tomato, frilled corn, black beans, cucumber and romaine all tossed with our Barbeque Ranch dressing, topped with lots of crispy fried onion stirrings for crunch.

Coconut Crusted Scallops

Golden fried and served with pineapple jalapeno marmalade, stir-fried vegetables horseradish roesti potato.

Herb Rubbed Prime Rib of Beef

Brushed with Pommery mustard and served with a Merlot reduction, vegetable medley and jackson potato served whipped in its shell.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast

With a sweetly mellow none Dijon mustard sauce, basil-scented mashed potatoes and sugar peas.

Maple Roasted Pork Tenderloin Green house spa cuisine

Served sliced with potato parsnip puree.

Baked tofu with Ginger

Folded into a seasoned tomato-yogurt sauce with stir-fried sugar snap peas, carrots, green beans & corn. Accompanied by steamed white rice.

oh god! *breathes in and out*

Radio,

Dad wants to know if there is a suishi bar... on the ship..

and mom... wants to know what kind of bath tub we have in the VB Bal cabin...

Thanks

"breathes in and out" ??

ha ha

Yes, there is a sushi bar, on the Starboard side of the Lido Cafe. . .

I had a VB, and it had a regular tub, with grab rails, and curtain. . .

Radio

Sushi Bar / Deck 9

SUSHI.jpg

Hi Radio,

Thanks for your menu post - so the formals are Monday & Thursday? And - NO LOBSTER??????????

I will go into lobster depression if there is no lobster.

Sandy

Lobster is Friday Night (Cozumel / Casual Night)

You can have several if you choose. . .

Radio

Here is the Farewell Dinner from Saturday Night. . .

I should be able to post more this weekend !

Radio

Farewell Dinner

Appetizers

Fruit Ceviche Greenhouse spa cuisine

Papaya, pineapple and mango splashed with rum & marinated in a lime and mint dressing.

Italian Prosciutto Ham

Thinly shaved, air-dried ham with a succulent cantaloupe melon fan.

Crispy Thai Vegetable Spring Roll

On a brightly seasoned rice noodle salad with a sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Pasta Primavera

Al dente pasta with peak-season vegetables and pesto sauce.

Soups and Salad

Bacon Cheddar Cheese Soup

A tast blend of smoky bacon and smooth cheddar, with a bite of dry mustard.

Grandma’s chicken Noodle Soup

Restorative, well-seasoned chicken broth with crisp garden vegetables and tender vermicelli noodles.

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Green house spa cuisine

Delicately diced watermelon swirled in a lemon sorbet and topped with lime leaves.

The Greek salad

Crisp chopped romaine showered with feta cheese, tender artichoke, kalamata olives, sun-ripened tomatoes, red onion and cucumber

Choices of Dressing: House Italian, Thousand Island, Blue cheese, Lime chipotle or fat-free lemon herb.

Entrees

Barbecue Chicken Salad

Avocado, tomato, frilled corn, black beans, cucumber and romaine all tossed with our Barbeque Ranch dressing, topped with lots of crispy fried onion stirrings for crunch.

Coconut Crusted Scallops

Golden fried and served with pineapple jalapeno marmalade, stir-fried vegetables horseradish roesti potato.

Herb Rubbed Prime Rib of Beef

Brushed with Pommery mustard and served with a Merlot reduction, vegetable medley and jackson potato served whipped in its shell.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast

With a sweetly mellow none Dijon mustard sauce, basil-scented mashed potatoes and sugar peas.

Maple Roasted Pork Tenderloin Green house spa cuisine

Served sliced with potato parsnip puree.

Baked tofu with Ginger

Folded into a seasoned tomato-yogurt sauce with stir-fried sugar snap peas, carrots, green beans & corn. Accompanied by steamed white rice.

Radio...we will be on the Westerdam in April and your posts have been the perfect "pre-cruise" tonic that I needed! Many thanks for all of the wonderful posts...and the menus!!! forget the diet...YUM!!!

Cass

Hi Radio,

Thanks for your menu post - so the formals are Monday & Thursday? And - NO LOBSTER??????????

I will go into lobster depression if there is no lobster.

Sandy

Sandy, I too, love lobster and look forward to it, but maybe it was a bad fluke, but when I was on HAL, the Noordam, they served the worst lobster that I have ever seen in my life and I could not eat it. Hopefully, not all HAL ships are like that. I was sooooo disappointed, to say the least. It was so tiny, cold and mushy, along with a filet that was flat, cold, well done and the size of a silver dollar. Even my favorite cruise line's lobster, Celebrity, wasn't that good, but it wasn't as bad as HAL's, as it was larger and not quite as mushy. I used to remember on Princess and RCCL getting nice decent size tales that were firm and so good. It doesn't seem to be that way anymore. Princess has served the best lobster that I've had thus far. I guess it just may be inconsistent between cruises, ships, lines, etc. My point is, I love it so much, but I never get my hopes up anymore because cruising sometimes can be like a box of chocolates and you never know what you'll get at dinner. :eek: :D

Archived