Price Reduction ??'s

hamptod

As you all know, I am a relatively new cruiser. I booked my 2nd cruise on the July 30, 2005 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. Here are my questions? 1) How do I check to see if the prices for the cabin I selected (BA C581 on Caribe) has gone down? This may help, I just checked a couple of online sites and it looks like it has. On one site, the category is not even listed anymore as being available.

2) Do I base the reduction on the price minus port charges or should I compare with port charges included? The reason I ask, some sites quote the price with port charges and some don't. I did ask my TA to give me an individual price for the three of us traveling.

3) What is 2 categories lower than a BA? The reason I ask, is that I was entitled to a 2 category upgrade through my AMEX platinum privileges?

4) So do I compare based on the lower category or the category I'm booked in? Logic tells me to do it based on the lower category, but the one thing I quickly learned is that logic doesn't always prevail.

5) I'm still wrestling with upgrading to a mini-suite. However, it looks like the mini's are starting to sell for what I paid for the balcony. With my 2-category upgrade, it may be better to switch but I love the larger balcony idea of being on the Caribe. And I'm still struggling with telling the TA to accept an upgrade if offered. I guess this is really not a question, just me thinking out loud;) Ignore

6) Do I call the TA everytime I think there has been a reduction or over time if I see a clearly lower price.?

Help:confused:

Deborah

My, but you get a lot of mileage out of one little question, LOL. Where to start?

First, there is a distinct difference in pricing prior to making final payments and after. Once those payments have been made, Princess typically sells off any remaining cabins via specials on their web site and promos. Those will be "new bookings only". Occasionally they will honor price reductions after final payment, but only in a very soft market.

You absolutely have to compare apples to apples. It is common for some sites to quote "cruise only" fares, then tack on the taxes and additional fees later, along with any service fees they might add. You also have to watch out for restrictive cancellation policies. One other thing - the price being offered might be a guarantee. That means that you cannot select your cabin, and if the cruise line decides to move you after assigning a cabin number, you have to take it. You cannot say, "no upgrades, or upgrade to suite only." That option is not available on guarantees, contrary to what is often posted and advised.

The AMEX upgrades are rather limited. When I've looked into them, they couldn't be applied to bookings for minisuites or suites, for example. In your case, you are possibly getting a BA for a BC price. The difference in price might not be all that significant. However, if you do use your AMEX to book a cruise, you will be deluged with brochures in the mail from every line in the world. That's kind of fun.

If I could get a mini for the same price as a balcony, I'd go for it. The bathroom alone is worth it.

My, but you get a lot of mileage out of one little question, LOL. Where to start?

First, there is a distinct difference in pricing prior to making final payments and after. Once those payments have been made, Princess typically sells off any remaining cabins via specials on their web site and promos. Those will be "new bookings only". Occasionally they will honor price reductions after final payment, but only in a very soft market.

You absolutely have to compare apples to apples. It is common for some sites to quote "cruise only" fares, then tack on the taxes and additional fees later, along with any service fees they might add. You also have to watch out for restrictive cancellation policies. One other thing - the price being offered might be a guarantee. That means that you cannot select your cabin, and if the cruise line decides to move you after assigning a cabin number, you have to take it. You cannot say, "no upgrades, or upgrade to suite only." That option is not available on guarantees, contrary to what is often posted and advised.

The AMEX upgrades are rather limited. When I've looked into them, they couldn't be applied to bookings for minisuites or suites, for example. In your case, you are possibly getting a BA for a BC price. The difference in price might not be all that significant. However, if you do use your AMEX to book a cruise, you will be deluged with brochures in the mail from every line in the world. That's kind of fun.

If I could get a mini for the same price as a balcony, I'd go for it. The bathroom alone is worth it.

Good morning Spongerob.

It is the brisk morning air and a good cup of coffee that has me going!;) This is all really confusing. I have the AMEX platinum privileges that allows me to either get a $300 shipboard credit for a mini-suite or above or to take a 2 category upgrade.

That is what I did so the current price I have is for a BC with a specific cabin upgrade to a BA, midship. So when I check, first I check the BC category midship for rooms similar to mine on the Caribe and get that price. Then I have been looking at cabins very near where I am on Caribe deck and plugging in BA category and getting the price for that category. The BC categories are coming up on either the Riviera or the Emerald deck, both mid-ship. The prices for both do seem to be lower. One of the things I did was to check two different sites, one with port charges and one without. For the one with port charges, I subtracted that amount and then compared to the price the TA quoted me and it seemed to be lower by about $100.00 per person. The 3rd passenger rate was about $100 lower as well. For the one without port charges, that was easier as I could just compare to the individual price given to me by the TA.

With my cruise so far out, I don't want to bug my TA to the point that she will want to strangle me. On the other hand, I am a self-admitted penny pincher who loves champagne but always wants to pay the beer price:D Any extra money can be used towards spending on the ship and on-shore self booked excursions.

As for the mini vs caribe, we LOVE balconies and we are all truly only in the rooms all at once at night when sleeping. But I do LOVE luxury!!! I'm spoiled and will be the first to admit it. So the thought of a nicer room, hmmmm.

The other thing I don't like is the uncovered balconies on the dolphin deck. What's a body to do:D

Deborah

I'd go for the mini with the shipboard credit. Honestly, an "upgrade" from BC to BA isn't all that impressive in my book...you may be more midship with a BA, but I"d take a mini anywhere than a midship balcony cabin..and add the @200 to taking the mini? That's a great deal to me!

Make it four--the mini-suite balcony is also large, although most of them are open, and the $300 credit makes it a no-brainer.

Les

OK you guys, I know you love your mini's but we are not sun worshipers at all and love the idea of partially covered balconies. Now back to my original questions:confused: :) about price reductions.

Thx

Deborah

I forgot to mention that I also received the recent coupon for the $210 SBC so I'm taken care of there. Now back to my questions:confused:

Thx!!

Deborah

The mini would then give you $415 shipboard credit - I would go for the mini! Not a sun worshipper either :)

You guys are Hooked on the Mini's!!! :) I just don't want to be miserable on the balcony because of the sun. We live on the balcony and the last one we had on the Carnival Legend was covered. My husband burns very easily and would not even go up on deck to lay on any of the loungers but he lived on the balcony. How are the balcony's on the Riviera and the Emerald as far as the mini's go? How is the movement on these levels? I got sick the first couple of days and felt lots of movement on the lower decks. Work with me folks:D

Let's just say if, and I mean if, I were to consider a mini what would be the best cabin on these decks and noise-wise, any problems?

Deborah

Deborah,

If you have the total cost from your TA then compare it to the total on line. That would be cruise price, taxes and port charges. Some site only give you the total when you "select" a cabin. Two categories lower than a BA is a BC and that is what I would compare it with, since that's what you paid for to begin with.

Just a thought but you could book a balcony on Emerald deck which, I believe, have fully covered balconies. At least they do on the other Grand Class ships.

Deborah,

If you have the total cost from your TA then compare it to the total on line. That would be cruise price, taxes and port charges. Some site only give you the total when you "select" a cabin. Two categories lower than a BA is a BC and that is what I would compare it with, since that's what you paid for to begin with.

Just a thought but you could book a balcony on Emerald deck which, I believe, have fully covered balconies. At least they do on the other Grand Class ships.

Rose thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying that and compare the two. How often should I bug the TA about it? Is $100 per person enough to call?

Thx

Deborah

I would bug them every time I see the price go down. That way you're locked in if it starts going up. Let your TA know that your watching the prices and will notify them each time you see it go down. That way they are put on notice that you expect to get the best rate and might start watching for you.

Our TA (who I can't name) follows the prices for us & has given us discounts as late as the final payment date. Ask yours if he/she will do the same.

If you love a covered balcony & can't get an Emerald Deck mini (which is my vote, LOL), then stick w/your giant Caribe Deck room and tell your TA no upgrades. Sometimes there is no sun on Dolphin deck, so the uncovered aspect doesn't matter, but why be limited to the time you can sit out there?

Hi Everyone;)

We're newbies. Done three cruises but still learning!!!! Found CC message boards Sept. '03.

FIRST: I'm an avid die-hard Nascar fan of Little'E' # 8 and I would love to have some cute little thingamajig that dances or twirls or spins with the # 8 on it. Does anyone know where to go to get sports thingamajigs (don't know what they are) images? attachments? Really hope someone knows of a #8 out there;)

SECOND: I'm a spur of the moment person. Surf the net, find a cruise, book it. I'm trying to learn to project further out (booked Carnival Liberty Transatlantic 10/24/2005). But....I also was on the net last week, found Princess GRAND Panama Canal out of Galveston Dec 18 '04. Booked it! Only problem, all mini's are gone:( We're on a wait list. Meantime we're booked in Caribe C234 Balcony. We don't really want it, but we don't have much choice. Hubby is off work Dec. 18 until Jan. 3, so we do want to do this cruise and we only have to DRIVE to Galveston-no flying.

SO......what's some thoughts on keeping the C234? We have never sailed with Princess, only Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Thanx for any thoughts/comments.

I have some questions about the Amex Platinum Privileges.

Are there Amex Platinum cards that are excluded from the $300 credit?

Do you have to book the cruise through Amex or can you book with any TA and still get the credit?

I have some questions about the Amex Platinum Privileges.

Are there Amex Platinum cards that are excluded from the $300 credit?

Do you have to book the cruise through Amex or can you book with any TA and still get the credit?

I believe there are certain AMEX Platinum cards that are excluded. The easiest way to check is to go to their website and look up your type of card and then check out all of the "benefits" associated with that card. I have the silver/grey AMEX platinum card. There should be a heading for "Cruise Privileges".

As for as booking, you don't have to book with AMEX. IF you call AMEX Platinum services, they will try to tell you that you have to but you don't. When you book with the TA, tell them about the AMEX benefit and once you decide which one you want, tell he/she that they need a tracking # from AMEX. The TA has to call the Agencies Services desk and press #5 for the information needed. That # is 1-800-443-7672. The TA has to give AMEX their IATA # along with some other information. It can be a pain for the TA, but don't let him/her give up.

The only down side is that you lose the $150 annual benefit for paying for your vacation with the AMEX card. On the other hand, AMEX cruise rates seemed to be much higher than the TA. So it may be a wash in the end.

Hope this helps and didn't break any rules.:)

Deborah

Archived