Sivermoon Review

Jeanine&Jim

Just return from our Southern Carribean cruise. We were on the Silvermoon III it has replaced the Sivermoon I. 12 passengers only on this Catamaran is wonderful. So much room and individual attention.

The money is well worth it. We snorkeled with the Sea Turtles and Tony from the crew got in and fed them so if you stuck near Tony,as I did, you got up close and personal with the sea turtles. Ben was also a great crew member- very kind to everyone.

The crew was very respectful of the sea turtles and repeatedly requested people not chase them. Other excursions had many more people on each boat and at times they got tangled up into our group- just be patient and the crowds will thin.

The food was wonderful and served with plenty of wine, rum punch and other beverages. The ride back was so relaxing with drinks and dessert hand delivered to us on the bow.

We highly recommend this tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip and am thankful to all the cruise critics who recommended this to us. Have a blast.

Glad to hear they have their new boat running, and that Tony and Ben are crewing it as they did last year on our Silver Moon day sail. We're really looking forward to doing this trip one more time in three weeks!

We did a last minute shore excursion with Celebrity two years ago to a private island. We usually book everything privately but at the last minute decided we needed a last minute beach day instead of more shopping. It wasn't crowded at all. Good luck finding a outfit like Silvermoon.

we are thinking about taking this tour in August 08. Can you tell me the website to contact them to book it and also can you give me an idea of the cost?? Thanks I am really looking forward to it.

Here is the site:

www.oceanadventuresbarbados.com

If you have any problems just google "silver moon barbados" and you'll find a link to them. They usually have two boats going, one with a max of 12 people at $105 and one with a max of 24 for $87.50, less for children. Usuall routine is to email them, they send availability and pricing, you email or call in confirmation, then they want you to send them a form with credit card info to secure a deposit.

Thanks Lsimon. I did find it on the web but saw two different sites so I was a little bit confused. I will email them for prices and availability. My DH and I travelling wihtout kids for the first time for our 10 yr anniversary so not sure what kind of rates we will get since we wont be with a group. I posted on the roll call for our cruise but so far no one else seems to be going when we are. I am sure that will change soon enough. Thanks again for the info and have a great cruise!

MattnDJsMom - you don't need a group to book. Just contact them and see if they have room for two. We did the smaller one February 1st and even though it was a kind of cloudy day it was fantastic!!! The fact that they only take 12 passengers is awesome. While you're snorkeling with the sea turtles you won't have twenty people kicking you. They also serve you lunch on real china and have open bar (including blender drinks) the whole time. We had ten in our group and it just so happened that the other couple that rounded out our 12 was the one who started our roll call :) . I'd book right away as this excursion is very popular. You won't regret it. BTW - we paid half down as a deposit and they collect the other half (in cash) when you get on the boat. $105 per person.

i am alittle confused...we did this before in '06 and were on the one that holds 12 people...looking to do it again but have been told the silvermoon 2 is now the one that holds 12 people and the new one holds 24 people...want to make sure we get on the "right one" for us!!

we emailed them and this is what we were told, however, a previous poster said that the new one replaced the 1st one...i am confused....HELP!!

Marsha

i am a little confused...we did this before in '06 and were on the one that holds 12 people...looking to do it again but have been told the silver moon 2 is now the one that holds 12 people and the new one holds 24 people...want to make sure we get on the "right one" for us!!

we emailed them and this is what we were told, however, a previous poster said that the new one replaced the 1st one...i am confused....HELP!!

Marsha

I know they sold the original Silver Moon. Could be they are switching around a bit. As long as they book you on the one which is max of 12 people, I wouldn't worry about which boat it is on. For that matter I've heard from others that the other cruse (max of 24) is a very similar experience and lots as fun - just a few more people on board. I wouldn't worry too much myself . We're booked on the 12 person trip in 2 weeks and I don't care which boat we're on - as long as it is about as nice overall (boat, crew, food & surroundings) as the 2 Silver Moon trips we've been on before.

thanks Larry!! by the way, I looked through your pictures and they are the most beautiful pictures of that area i have ever seen!! did you use a disposable camera or what??? we have used a disposable in the past but get nothing like your pictures...should we invest in a real underwater camera???

we do like to snorkel on all our cruises...

have an awesome time on your next cruise!! :)

Marsha

The pictures in the water were with a several year old digital camera with a marine case. While these are pretty expensive (generally $150 or so for the case alone) you can occasionally find one used and in good shape on eBay and then find a camera to match. The manufacturer's cases are the best, I've read some unhappy reviews on the cheaper plastic pouch type cases. I have a web page on my photo site that discusses some of the things I've discovered about touching up the color on underwater pictures here: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/2211051_kYMXq#162491389

There it was right in front of me - Silver Moon III

not under sail or anything romantic, just being moved from one berth to another

but I thought of you guys, and that you might like this picture..

IMG_6411.jpg.bdee9876726ae9b92e9fc54c39884bf4.jpg

From what I have read and seen, SIlver Moon II takes 24 because it has a larger deck (more space) than the I (or III now). So don't feel like you will be crowded on the II. It is a great time and plenty of room for all.

This sounds like a lovely way to spend the day in Barbados.

I will have to try and email them tomorrow and see what's available for late Sept 08

Thanks for sharing.

P.S Larry your photo's are awesome. I am in search for an underwater case for one of my 3 digital cameras but do you think I can find one here in Canada??? I might have to try ebay or come to the US to shop before my cruise. ;)

...P.S Larry your photo's are awesome. I am in search for an underwater case for one of my 3 digital cameras but do you think I can find one here in Canada??? I might have to try ebay or come to the US to shop before my cruise. ;)

Thank you.

Personally - I always buy stuff like that on the internet. One of the better discounters like Amazon or BH Photo or the others should have them at a discount price. Local stores tend to charge full retail (add on another 25 to 50%) for accessories like that if you can even find them. EBay is always worth checking. In fact I think the best buy on an underwater camera is to look for a new, or good as new, manufacturer branded underwater case on eBay, even if the camera was discontinued a within the past couple years at a good price ($50 or so) and then buy the used camera on eBay (presuming it is a discontinued model. Getting the latest and greatest isn't going to make much of a difference on a handful of underwater shots and in some lines the models they made a year or two back had better image quality than the latest cameras.

Thank you.

Personally - I always buy stuff like that on the internet. One of the better discounters like Amazon or BH Photo or the others should have them at a discount price. Local stores tend to charge full retail (add on another 25 to 50%) for accessories like that if you can even find them. EBay is always worth checking. In fact I think the best buy on an underwater camera is to look for a new, or good as new, manufacturer branded underwater case on eBay, even if the camera was discontinued a within the past couple years at a good price ($50 or so) and then buy the used camera on eBay (presuming it is a discontinued model. Getting the latest and greatest isn't going to make much of a difference on a handful of underwater shots and in some lines the models they made a year or two back had better image quality than the latest cameras.

Thanks Larry

• 2 weeks later...

We used Silver Moon II last week. There are two cats, one that holds 24 and one that holds 12. I requested the 12 cat (it does cost more), we were the only two from the ship, the others were two families from the hotels. it was awesome. they really took care of us and respected the sea life (I understand the Tour Store bring a turtle on board for pix and whatnot (which I would have died had they done that on our excursion - but they didn't). they actually told us no flippers when swimming with the turtles.

794436888_barbadosturle2.jpg.488da42d7208099ec41b7e8d0a40cb2f.jpg

We did your third tour with Silvermoon this past April 1. We had a wonderful time, as we had on our prior two trips with them. We were on the 12 person tour with Tony and Ben for the crew.

We were on the Silver Moon II. They indicated that the new Silver Moon III is the larger of the 2 catamarans and would normally be used for the larger groups going forward, but that there are always exceptions and the use of the boats does vary from time to time.

I know they sold the original Silver Moon.

We have sailed on the Silver Moon twice and had a fabulous time. You cannot believe how I felt when we were ferrying back to Red Hook from St. John and there in the harbor was the Silver Moon! I said, "I sat on that step and sailed back to Barbados!" What great memories. I am sure that those sailing on the Silver Moon II and III will have just as great a time as we did.

Archived