Fleece-style Cruising on the Gem

Ides of March

Reminds me of someone in my office years ago...after three minutes he slumped in a chair, flailed arms, cried and shouted "Why are you forcing me to stay here?!" Chuckling to myself, I responded the door was only two feet away from him. Surprised he did not have to stay, he also never returned.

Coka

Ides of March,

You said you just got off of a Gem Cruise last week, but looking at your post on April 13, 2007, you went on an NCL Spirit cruise last year.

You completely bashed freestyle cruising, the food, and NCL in that post. And then a year later, you do the same thing???

What gives?

Ides of March,

You said you just got off of a Gem Cruise last week, but looking at your post on April 13, 2007, you went on an NCL Spirit cruise last year.

You completely bashed freestyle cruising, the food, and NCL in that post. And then a year later, you do the same thing???

What gives?

you know what? maybe he hasn't really sailed any of these ships. Anyone can claim anything I guess or maybe he dislikes NCl so much he justs wants to pop in every so often and let us know how bad his last weeks cruise was, the one he saw in his dreams the night before. WHo knows?

Nita

you know what? maybe he hasn't really sailed any of these ships. Anyone can claim anything I guess or maybe he dislikes NCl so much he justs wants to pop in every so often and let us know how bad his last weeks cruise was, the one he saw in his dreams the night before. WHo knows?

Nita

I know of one poster that has said even though he hates NCL, he cruises them every couple years just to prove to himself how great his other cruises are. I don't believe him either (and if I'm wrong, he's even more of an idiot than I thought) ;)

Everyone had their own opinion on what they experience on a cruise vacation and I ususally don't respond but I just had to this time. Since they had such a bad time on the Gem, I'm glad they won't be on the ship when I'm there! I plan on enjoying myself. Did I miss their responce to anyone's comments???? Maybe next time they can get a private cruise so they are not one of 2500 others on vacation trying to enjoy their time away from grumpy people in their office!!jmho..

I am a loyal rci cruiser but I must say, me and my wife LOVE the new NCL commercials. Especially the one with the guy at the dinner table. " I sold 2000 units in las vegas!!""

We like the one with the lady who keeps talking about her medical problems.

Nothing wrong with RCI! We've had some great cruises with them :D (but I must say we prefer freestyle & have really enjoyed some great pricing with the NCL credit card)

Looks like we should all Beware this Ides of March... Seems like an odd name to pick, but it fits the negative personality I guess.

Maybe I should cancel our upcoming cruise since his was so bad. NOT!!!

I will go knowing that I'll be disappointed in my vacation, but I'll still buy the Cruise Rewards Certificates for another cruise so I can be disappointed again and waste more $$$. Duh....

It's very sad to see someone with such a poor attitude who can't enjoy life when things don't go his way. :(

Everyone had their own opinion on what they experience on a cruise vacation and I ususally don't respond but I just had to this time. Since they had such a bad time on the Gem, I'm glad they won't be on the ship when I'm there! I plan on enjoying myself. Did I miss their responce to anyone's comments???? Maybe next time they can get a private cruise so they are not one of 2500 others on vacation trying to enjoy their time away from grumpy people in their office!!jmho..

I think I would be afraid to comment after all this. Do you think they are still reading this thread? They must be boiling over since there has not been one friendly comment ot anyone taking their side.

Sorry you had a crappy trip and enjoy whatever cruiseline you choose to go on next.

(Just make sure I'm not on it!:rolleyes: )

The last night we went to Cagney’s for $25 pp. Another rip off. A chewy $6 T-bone for $25. Give this place a pass.

The Ides.

well well well..... I read this review (if you could call it that) with some interest. As many of you know I too wrote a review mentioning the lovely time we had. As I read Ides review again, the mention that he was in Cagney's the last night jogged my memory. I looked at Ides webpage with his photos. hmmmm..... well I do remember this fellow in Cagneys!! I must say mr Ides you have the most disgusting table manners I have every seen in my entire life. You in fact were in my view much of the evening. I was sitting in the corner with my husband, I wore a white long sleeve shirt. I remember you all right - swilling a bottle and eating with your knife. There was more, but I was just repulsed and I won't make people queasy with the details. Disgusting. I did read one of your previous posts regarding table mates who moved from your table. Pretty obvious why they didn't enjoy your company.

Sheila

This is a very big moment in my cruise critic life.....I have been officially deleted for the first time. It is also the first time that I have ever felt that the OP set out to do exactly what he accomplished. He got the reaction he sought. I learned a long time ago..."if you don't feed the animals, they don't come back". I appreciate the reviews of posters whether good or bad if in fact it is honest and balanced. It was not that.

as we had a tableful on Princess with the parents at their own table. Never again, as my husband says, cruiseship people do not know "Table for 2". We get table for 8, 10 & a few times I have sat at a table for 2 & he joined me to their confusion. Now NCL shows tables for 2 on the ads & we stated we go back to Freestyle!

We like the one with the lady who keeps talking about her medical problems.

Nothing wrong with RCI! We've had some great cruises with them :D (but I must say we prefer freestyle & have really enjoyed some great pricing with the NCL credit card)

just have to say i have entirely different take on our ncl experience. perhaps you'd have a better time IF #1: you didn't try to break the rules and then blame others for the result. #2: you did your own research before the cruise or even on the cruise in the internet cafe rather than expecting someone else like ncl to 'take care of you.' there is great, great info on various sites regarding all of the ports including maps and tour operators. #3: you didn't have a chip on your shoulder. attitude goes a long way in how life feels. i'm happy every day ; i am sorry you're not.

I also am a very loyal RCCL cruiser, and cruised NCL for the 1st time on the Gem on 2/23/08, the thing is, you are really talking about 2 completely diffferent cruise lines, I had no expectations going on it and comparing NCL to any other cruise line is like comparing apples to oranges and when people finally figure this out maybe they will stop complaining...... we had a good time on the Gem, while we still prefer RCCL I certainly would do another NCL cruise, its VACATION, how can it be bad?? The Convenience of driving to NYC Pier is a big seller for us, We liked the ship and we certainly did not go hungry I have 4 extra lbs to prove it....

If you look at Ides of March's history, he is exclusively a Holland America cruiser. No wonder he didn't like his treatment.... he wasn't bowed down to like he expects to be. Ides is just more proof of what my parents say about HAL cruisers and why they won't cruise that line anymore. (that and the fact that they feel that the HAL crowd is to old for them.... my parents are 78...)

• Administrators
If you look at Ides of March's history, he is exclusively a Holland America cruiser. No wonder he didn't like his treatment.... he wasn't bowed down to like he expects to be. Ides is just more proof of what my parents say about HAL cruisers and why they won't cruise that line anymore. (that and the fact that they feel that the HAL crowd is to old for them.... my parents are 78...)

Aww, Dagvbsb, don't diss "us!" :) We aren't "loyalists" to any cruise line -- we sail by itinerary and price, in that order. For that reason, our 14 day RT Vancouver HAL sailing this summer to Alaska (our first HAL cruise) was an amazing, slamming deal in January when we booked.... and still is now that our sailing's sold out and the "bargains" on others are appearing. We still got a great deal (2 of us, Alaska trip, shore excursions, air, hotel, all in/drive out for LESS than the same 2 of us, Hawaii trip, shore excursions, etc., all in/drive out last summer... PLUS Alaska is a 16 day trip and Hawaii was 10 days, and I still think our Hawaii trip was a great bargain!).

My take? We're going to Alaska... nobody has to kiss my... um... bow down to me -- I'll be out on deck in a coat, scarf and gloves, enjoying the scenery and looking for wildlife every chance I get, and in port I'll be off the ship seeing Alaska!

So, please don't take Ides of March as being like ME!!! I'm about as laid back as they come in terms of the ship -- clean room, decent food, nice staff are my minimums. If those are met I'm happy and all else is gravy. BUT I'm about to be a HAL cruiser and I am decidedly NOT like this OP!! ;) <tongue firmly in cheek, though it's true we're trying HAL AND looking forward to it>

Aww, Dagvbsb, don't diss "us!" :) We aren't "loyalists" to any cruise line -- we sail by itinerary and price, in that order. For that reason, our 14 day RT Vancouver HAL sailing this summer to Alaska (our first HAL cruise) was an amazing, slamming deal in January when we booked.... and still is now that our sailing's sold out and the "bargains" on others are appearing. We still got a great deal (2 of us, Alaska trip, shore excursions, air, hotel, all in/drive out for LESS than the same 2 of us, Hawaii trip, shore excursions, etc., all in/drive out last summer... PLUS Alaska is a 16 day trip and Hawaii was 10 days, and I still think our Hawaii trip was a great bargain!).

My take? We're going to Alaska... nobody has to kiss my... um... bow down to me -- I'll be out on deck in a coat, scarf and gloves, enjoying the scenery and looking for wildlife every chance I get, and in port I'll be off the ship seeing Alaska!

So, please don't take Ides of March as being like ME!!! I'm about as laid back as they come in terms of the ship -- clean room, decent food, nice staff are my minimums. If those are met I'm happy and all else is gravy. BUT I'm about to be a HAL cruiser and I am decidedly NOT like this OP!! ;) <tongue firmly in cheek, though it's true we're trying HAL AND looking forward to it>

Aaahhh, Michelle, I respect you. Your opinions, views and ideas are usually right in line with me. (I'm sure some people will tell you that is a bad thing....lol). Personally, I have never sailed on HAL. My parents are avid cruisers having taken, on average, one a year since dad retired in 1991. They have been on all the major lines.. Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival and NCL. In fact, NCL was the last "new" line that they tried. (first cruise on NCL in 2002...4 since) Even with all the other lines to compare to, my parents still say NCL is their favorite and HAL is their least favorite. ("too stuffy" were my dad's exact words). We are cruising RCCL this summer and it will be my first experience with that line. (my parents ranked them second in their favorites list.)

Hey, I'm one to try anything (well maybe not anything...skydiving might be a no...) and someday hope to cruise some of the lines I have not been on simply to give a personal comparision for myself.

• Administrators
Aaahhh, Michelle, I respect you. Your opinions, views and ideas are usually right in line with me. (I'm sure some people will tell you that is a bad thing....lol). Personally, I have never sailed on HAL. My parents are avid cruisers having taken, on average, one a year since dad retired in 1991. They have been on all the major lines.. Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival and NCL. In fact, NCL was the last "new" line that they tried. (first cruise on NCL in 2002...4 since) Even with all the other lines to compare to, my parents still say NCL is their favorite and HAL is their least favorite. ("too stuffy" were my dad's exact words). We are cruising RCCL this summer and it will be my first experience with that line. (my parents ranked them second in their favorites list.)

Hey, I'm one to try anything (well maybe not anything...skydiving might be a no...) and someday hope to cruise some of the lines I have not been on simply to give a personal comparision for myself.

Hey, I hope you love your RCCL cruise this summer! If you are on a flow-rider ship, post about it so I can read what you think; I haven't tried one of those yet!

I loved RCCL on my 2 prior cruises, and I still like a LOT of things about the line. But I always shop price, and from the comparisons I've done over the last five years on the cruises I want to take at the times I can take them -- all I can say is RCCL thinks a LOT more of itself than I do, even though I think it's a fun line. That's okay. I just didn't think they were so much greater than their competitors to justify paying 25%+ more, and I still don't. But I will keep pricing RCCL. They offer a very decent product.

As for our HAL experience to be, I'm hoping it won't be "too stuffy" for us -- we are taking the formal gear (sigh -- thankfully SO owns a tux so it's not quite the trauma it could be) -- but part of me is just thinking "hey, it's HAL, we can order the dinner menu for room service every night!" ;)

Anyway, I was really just teasing. :) I wish you a great cruise this summer on RCCL, and I plan to have a great cruise on HAL this summer as well. And if you have read my posts you know I won't engage in a lot of dramatics, but you can count on a balanced review afterwards!

I agree with you Winnie. I love NCL and the freestyle concept.

Off topic for a sec, Winnie, we are doing our first Alaskan cruise on May 4th. We've never been to Seattle; do you live there or have you been there? We were wondering where to stay, what to see (near the downtown sights) when we return? Any suggestions?

I am a loyal rci cruiser but I must say, me and my wife LOVE the new NCL commercials. Especially the one with the guy at the dinner table. " I sold 2000 units in las vegas!!""

I prefer RCL to any other line as well. My favorite commercial is the one where the tablemate describes her surgery and points to his food to show how large her gallstones were.:eek:

I agree with you Winnie. I love NCL and the freestyle concept.

Off topic for a sec, Winnie, we are doing our first Alaskan cruise on May 4th. We've never been to Seattle; do you live there or have you been there? We were wondering where to stay, what to see (near the downtown sights) when we return? Any suggestions?

As to where to stay, it depends on your budget (downtown hotels run anywhere from a bit under $200.00 per night plus tax for two (for the standard properties) to upwards of $1K per night (for the 4+ star type hotels and the best rooms). If you can give me an idea of what you want to spend, I'm sure I could come up with a few suggestions for you.

How long will you be here? If you are here for just one day, then you need to be certain to see Pike Place Market, perhaps the Space Needle if you are into 600' tall buildings that sway in the wind but offer a great view, the Underground Tour is good, you will want to take in the waterfront and perhaps have some seafood at any one of the great restaurants there. That can make a reasonably full day in and of itself. If you are going to be here longer, then there are plenty of more things I could suggest.

Archived