leftover onboard credit

Last August, we actually had almost $200 left of our cruise credit (we started out with $1400 - most of it from our RCCL rewards credit card). We went to the purser's desk on the last night of our cruise to find out what would happen if we didn't spend the money before we got off the ship. We were so surprised to be given cash on the spot.

We were on an Alaska Cruise/Tour and were getting off the next morning to start the land portion of our trip. If I wouldn't have gotten the cash back, I would have probably spent the money gambling or buying something from one of the on board shops. But, as it turned out we had a little extra cash to buy souvenirs to take home.

I don't remember being given a choice to have it credited to back to our credit card, so I don't know if this is handled the same on all RCCL ships.

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can transfer any leftover on board credit to your next cruise? I believe if you return RCCL visa reward points they are lost. Thanks..Loretta

You are required to sign it over to me, Merion Mom.

:D

I have had shipboard credit put back on my credit card 2 times. Last year on the Mariner my sister also had shipboard credit leftover & she just cashed her's out the night before. "IF" you've used your RCL credit card for your seapass you WILL lose points for the amount of credit put back on your card...they treat it as a return...so you are better off to use it up or get cash...

I don't remember being given a choice to have it credited to back to our credit card, so I don't know if this is handled the same on all RCCL ships.

You are not given a choice. If you use a CC when you board the ship it is automatically transferred just like if you had charges. If you know how much money has not be spent and you select to withdraw that money.............then your final bill would be "0".

You are not given a choice. If you use a CC when you board the ship it is automatically transferred just like if you had charges.

Sorry, but our experience was different. We were given a cash refund of unused credit, and yes, our sea pass accounts were linked to a credit card.

I was actually shocked. I don't know why, but I had always assumed it was "use it or lose it."

~ Peri

since RC's OBC's are typically no more than $100 on a 7 day cruise I would be very surprised if many cruisers had any left over.

Actually, there are many ways to accrue shipboard credit, and it's possible to have hundreds of dollars worth...easily more than enough to cover gratuities, some adult beverages, an excursion, a spa treatment...whatever.

We'll be boarding the Vision next month with $540 worth of OBC for four people in two cabins. That'll give me a nice head start. :)

~ Peri

I would go to the Front Desk/Purser's Office the last night and if there is left over get it in cash. This way you will not lose points for the refund. Then when you get home put the cash on the card as a payment and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Any left over credit at the end of your cruise is applied to your credit card, it does not go back to the company or used for a future cruise. I have often had left over credit due to booking on board and being a share holder.

Archived